KR08 vs Viper

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

WIBoomer1
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: KR08 vs Viper

Post by WIBoomer1 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:14 am

The other main difference is that Viper was owned by Paramount, while KR is owned by Universal.

Mr. Marcus, I respectfully submit that KR 08 will be remembered as a show that had little to do with TOS' legacy. Only if there is a 2nd Season, and they continue to rebuild FLAG, with or without The Hoff, then it might pull ahead.

Viper is more forgotten, simply because it never took off the way that KR TOS did. And the lack of the show's release on DVD confirms that. But I enjoyed Viper, and have seen that KR 08 is WAYYYYYYYYYYY closer to Viper than TOS.

If KR 08 would have been a retcon of Viper, it would have failed like that series, because it would be too much of a rehash (there's not much difference between the 2 to differentiate it). Try and dig up a few episodes of Viper, and watch them with KR 08 eps inbetween, and you'll see the closeness of the 2. There was less humor and T&A on Viper, because it was a darker show. I'm not saying per say that either show was a family show, but Viper is firmly a 90's show, whereas KR 08 is rooted in our more adulterated culture.

HisNameisGarth
Operative

Re: KR08 IS Viper

Post by HisNameisGarth » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:33 pm

Well,

KR08 just became Viper Season 1 last night.

Viper Season 1:
The team stole the car from the government.
The driver found a ton of money (in a safety deposit box) so they could operate as vigilantes.
They spent the entire season fighting the villain portrayed by http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0121404/ actor Richard Burgi.

KR08: Episode 12:
Sarah found a ton of money (in a computer bank account) so they could operate as vigilantes.
They will likely spend the rest of the season fighting the villain portrayed by http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0121404/ actor Richard Burgi.
There ain't no E in Garth, damn it.

K.A.C.I.
Operative

Post by K.A.C.I. » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:54 pm

Cool. I really liked Viper and Knight Rider, and always felt KR '08 sort of combined elements of both, so it's interesting to see them deliberately go there to that extent. Can't wait to see where they go from there.
Knight Autonomous Cyber-Automotive Interceptor

ghidorah15
Rookie

Post by ghidorah15 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:56 pm

Guys, we could argue back and forth about who copied whom for a long while. Frankly, I don't give a damn--I'm just glad we have these sources of entertainment. Criticism is all well and good (so long as it's constructive and not just senseless bashing), but it's not the be-all end-all of this. The ultimate point is to have fun with this stuff, whether it's Knight Rider or Viper. :)

EdwardKnoxII
Operative

Re: KR08 IS Viper

Post by EdwardKnoxII » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:58 pm

HisNameisGarth wrote:Well,

KR08 just became Viper Season 1 last night.

Viper Season 1:
The driver found a ton of money (in a safety deposit box) so they could operate as vigilantes.
They spent the entire season fighting the villain portrayed by http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0121404/ actor Richard Burgi.

KR08: Episode 12:
Sarah found a ton of money (in a computer bank account) so they could operate as vigilantes.
They will likely spend the rest of the season fighting the villain portrayed by http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0121404/ actor Richard Burgi.
Agreed. Also, the team was hiding the Viper and there location from the government and in KR08 they are hiding KITT and their location from the government. But, after the last ep I don't think FLAG has done that good of job of hiding KITT but, whatever.

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:31 am

Knight Rider is the model that every body try to copy and make another version of. thats what I think :wink: :kitt:

KnightINSTINCT
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightINSTINCT » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:09 am

Beyond the people who frequently visit this board, I really don't think many give a rat's ass how Knight Rider and Viper carry similarities. I've posted once on a thread not too long ago, and I'll say it again: TV shows in general are just not original anymore. It's really what you want to get out of a certain series. I personally think The Young And The Restless is just like Days Of Our Lives or As The World Turns. We have TV channels that carry a lot of comparative programming out there, with MTV just like VH1....even though they are both the same company, it's my point..FUSE is MTV circa 1993. Morning TV shows have the same exact format as each other. Do you see a difference between Good Morning America and the CBS Morning Show? Popular music we all hear day in and out on the radio should illustrate my point more than any example I've just given. Are you trying to say that Knight Rider is unoriginal?? Is your haircut like anybody else's style?

Get the point that what you're trying to point out is obviously realized. But remember how the package is wrapped, that's what counts. If you really feel like making tallys, I would like you to entertain the thought of how many movies out today carry some sort of formula of what you've already seen before, and put it on here. This thread is going nowhere on the point of KR vs. VIPER. We might as well observe the dullness on the rest of the world.

:evil:

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:18 am

Knight007 wrote:Knight Rider is the model that every body try to copy and make another version of. thats what I think :wink: :kitt:
Viper was originally toted as "The new Knight Rider" when it was first released (in this part of the world anyway).

I was quite disappointed when I watched the first episode of it, and found it actually wasn't anything like Knight Rider.. damn car couldn't do anything by itself.

However, it did have some kewl concepts, and I don't have a problem with this concepts being used in this new KR, because I've actually thought for a long time that some things would work quite well in the KR mix.

My concern would probably lean more towards the fact that they may have taken too much from viper and kinda screwed up the KR formula in the early episodes.

The reboot is looking better though. :) They've gotten a lot closer to the KR formula again, now they just need to get that KR is about Kitt as the central story line, not the amour personnel car-phone and order will be restored to the KR universe. :D

:good:
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nbcviper
Rookie

Post by nbcviper » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:01 pm

Viper:
Was on thought up beacuse Paramount wanted a supercar series.

The Dodge Viper was one of the most attractive cars at the time.

Chrysler was having problems and decided to use Viper as a sales oppurtunity.

Viper was originally mean't for CBS but, CBS said it was too violent so NBC decided to bite. (At the time NBC was in battle with ABC for number 1)

Knight rider 2008:
NBC is in trouble and there programming isn't making it.

Ford is afraid of the Mustang not selling and possibly being toast due to the Challenger and especially the Camaro, The Camaro's V6 has more power then Fords V8 GT in the Mustang!

NBC and Ford are desparate so easiest way to make money is to completely re-do and re-make a series.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Viper was never offically called a remake of anything! Knight rider 2008 is completely unoriginal, recycling and doing a terrible job of it. I'm very unhappy with there KARR remake. It could have easily been the best episode and just made the show not so.... cheap and seem like a rush to get finish only if done right. You barely seen KARR and the chase scene wasn't worth 2 middle fingers! Its a total shame there ripping from Viper, its blatenly obvious sorry guys.
the day after tomorrow, NBCVIPER

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Post by tamatt27 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:21 pm

nbcviper wrote: Ford is afraid of the Mustang not selling and possibly being toast due to the Challenger and especially the Camaro, The Camaro's V6 has more power then Fords V8 GT in the Mustang!
The Mustang will always sell. We don't know how much longer the Camaro or Challenger will be around, but it's a safe bet that the Mustang will be around for a while. The 2011 Mustang will have a completely new 5.0 engine and will be a match for the Camaro.
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:35 am

Rockatteer wrote:
Knight007 wrote:Knight Rider is the model that every body try to copy and make another version of. thats what I think :wink: :kitt:
Viper was originally toted as "The new Knight Rider" when it was first released (in this part of the world anyway).

I was quite disappointed when I watched the first episode of it, and found it actually wasn't anything like Knight Rider.. damn car couldn't do anything by itself.

However, it did have some kewl concepts, and I don't have a problem with this concepts being used in this new KR, because I've actually thought for a long time that some things would work quite well in the KR mix.

My concern would probably lean more towards the fact that they may have taken too much from viper and kinda screwed up the KR formula in the early episodes.

The reboot is looking better though. :) They've gotten a lot closer to the KR formula again, now they just need to get that KR is about Kitt as the central story line, not the amour personnel car-phone and order will be restored to the KR universe. :D

:good:
I dont think they will go back to the original not working theme. they have reached the level we, and every body else is expecting from them. you can see it from the rating we get for each episod. hope we get what we have been waiting for, another season. Image :kitt:

maxwellmilian
Recruit

Post by maxwellmilian » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:34 am

Actually, I was thinking of a few crossovers, but the one that sticks in my craw the most is a crossover with an unexpected twist to bring the ols KR up to the new..... I'm working out a plot line. I have and explosive entrance, but I need to work out some bugs for the meshing of the old with the new... but the kicker is, no Hoff, no Daniels, but something wonderful that all would agree is good, and in the story line, totally acceptable and welcome by all of us.... Oh, the possibilities.....
:dance:
Sorry guys, no spoilers from me....

JayRay522
Stranger

Post by JayRay522 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:17 pm

Regarding the Viper and KR08 similarities, I think its interesting to note that Viper started out as the team being vigilanties from the government until the show was rebooted and the team became a government project, and KR08 started out as a government project until the show was rebooted and the team became vigilanties.

I have always been a fan of Knight Rider. When Viper started, I became a fan of it as well because it was simliar but different. I wanted so bad to like KR08 right off the bat. At first viewing of the TV movie, I was less then impressed, but it was one of those things that grew on me, even KITT being a Mustang. After like the seventh time watching it, I was ready for a Mustang KITT and for this to be how the show would work in the fall. Boy was I in for a surprise. I lost faith real quick, but stuck in there to see if they could find they're stride............and it looks like they did.

One additional note. A thing I think Viper does better both in concept and CGI quality is the vehicle transformation, at least in the reboot version of Viper. The Viper version makes sense and seems like it could be real even though it's obviously not. That's what I look for in fantasy shows like this, that it makes me think it could be real, which draws me further into the show. I still have trouble with KITT's transformation. I actually bought it more in the TV movie. It looked like nanotechnology with its morphing organic type appearance. Now they have changed to the folding/moving panels look (another similarity to Viper who started with the morphing/organic look and changed to the folding panels look). However, if you're gonna be folding panels left and right, then I don't get the sense that nanotechnology is involved anymore. And the laws of physics tell me that the panels for all these different configurations like an F150 and a van have to be stored in that tiny Mustang body somewhere. Just not getting it. What I would really to see is a scene of KITT transforming but as viewed by Michael inside the car, cause the interior seems to transform right along with it. That might explain a few things. Of course, watching KITT repair himself at the end of Knight to King's Pawn really threw me for a loop.

:spmgo:

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:09 pm

Watching the new Knight Rider series, at times, it really felt like I was watching Viper all over again especially with the morphing etc. The similarities are clearly there.. But hey, I'm a fan of both shows! But I'd prefer Knight Rider to be just Knight Rider... I really don't like the morphing into other vehicles such as off road etc.. For Viper, that was ok. But not Knight Rider. KITT should be all terrain...

May the best car win....

KnightINSTINCT
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightINSTINCT » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:09 pm

Going by looks alone, Viper Defender looks more like the type of car driven by the macho-cheesey. And on top of that, it reminds me of the space ship used in Micheal Jackson's Scream video.

one_man
Operative

Post by one_man » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:45 am

saw this on CNN, might be related to the KR08 vs Viper thread:

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/tech/2 ... matter.cnn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In the video, they demonstrated shape-shifting tech with a model car :good:
(not sure if that's real or just a concept)

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:20 am

one_man wrote:saw this on CNN, might be related to the KR08 vs Viper thread:

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/tech/2 ... matter.cnn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In the video, they demonstrated shape-shifting tech with a model car :good:
(not sure if that's real or just a concept)
Hmmm.. Somehow, the video showed me a bunch of circus elephants.. :lol: