PreVis from KITT vs KARR last night

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

neps
Site Administrator
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

PreVis from KITT vs KARR last night

Post by neps » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:08 pm

hey,

if you all were in the chat last night, the folks at MasterKey mentioned that the battle was shortened because of the budget cuts that NBC bestowed upon the Knight Rider production.

They've put it up on YouTube for everyone to see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxuk-GD18Rc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

whet
FLAG Assistant

Re: PreVis from KITT vs KARR last night

Post by whet » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:14 pm

Wow, that is so cool,

If only NBC hadn't cut the budget :cry:

Still it was a good battle if short.

KRShelby
Rookie

Post by KRShelby » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:22 pm

That actually was a much better fight... would've been very very cool.

Still though even with budget cuts, would've liked to see more of KARR Mustang form if the CGI was too expensive. Then again, as I mentioned a bit in the discussion thread, I think NBC's budget cuts affected the choice for the single ep instead of the two-parter. I still blame NBC, for messing this episode, not that much of the show's staff. I did wish they started with the good episodes from the beginning though..not leave them (Knight fever for example), til after people started hating on the show.

Thanks to masterkey for posting the video :D :D

nascarnut
Volunteer

Post by nascarnut » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:23 pm

Wow..all I can say is WOW! Maybe we can hope for a longer cut when the show comes out on DVD? (One can hope, right?)

Amir
Operative

Post by Amir » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:24 pm

The effects in the episode were very well done and the turbo boost was super (unlike some previous ones) even though you didn't see that much of it. Quite happy the cheesy 'it's do or die' line didn't find its way into the episode, though. :D

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:36 pm

I'm not for one line replies but.....

GRRRRRRR what a shame we didn't get this.

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

GT500KR
FLAG Recruit

Post by GT500KR » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:40 pm

i feel the saddness like everyone else, but what is done is done

Got to move on and wait for next wednesday :good:

some KARR is better than no KARR
"My wife asks me, why you do those burnouts? Well.....you do it for the kids, you know, Im not being immature. You just.....well you do it for the kids."
~Jay Leno

Lynda414
FLAG Assistant

Post by Lynda414 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:01 pm

I would gladly trade Sarah's BS in the beginning to be shorter is they would have kept in the long fight scene!

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:22 pm

Well that sucks, guess it shouldn't be a surprise. Was the dialog in there in the script? I know some of it was but what about the rest of it? Would have been nice though if they could have saved a little bit of money and kept some of that dialog being said back and fourth with KARR in car form...
KRShelby wrote:That actually was a much better fight... would've been very very cool.

Still though even with budget cuts, would've liked to see more of KARR Mustang form if the CGI was too expensive. Then again, as I mentioned a bit in the discussion thread, I think NBC's budget cuts affected the choice for the single ep instead of the two-parter. I still blame NBC, for messing this episode, not that much of the show's staff. I did wish they started with the good episodes from the beginning though..not leave them (Knight fever for example), til after people started hating on the show.

Thanks to masterkey for posting the video :D :D
VFX and the KITT/KARR "battle" aside, I believe this episode was shot before the announced budget cuts though they could have been enacted well before the announcement.. They certainly could have saved money in a few places during previous episodes and this one by trimming the fat and stop doing unnecessary things or find alternatives.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

K2000kid
Operative

Post by K2000kid » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:30 pm

Sorry i feel KARR should have been wreaking havoc while they scrambled to put KITT back together
Then have the show down at the end, i feel so cheated

KARR picking up Torres to make him part of the robot LMAO
KARR's line about Michael being the original driver and it was his destiny :good:
KARR is an AI and should have just been a bad *** not some drivelling idiot who wanted his driver back
Theres no reason for increased volume, I'm scanning your interogitives quite satisfactorilly.

colley
Volunteer

Post by colley » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:56 pm

Man, while I already dug the fight we saw, seeing this fully rendered in the episode would have been fantastic.

*Crosses fingers for possibly being on the DVD release*

djshag69
Operative

Post by djshag69 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:02 pm

That video was great, I dont know about everyone else but i feel a lot better knowing the battle was supposed to be longer and the only reason it was cut short is because of budget cuts.
Ice rider coming 2009

Lynda414
FLAG Assistant

Post by Lynda414 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:12 pm

djshag69 wrote:That video was great, I dont know about everyone else but i feel a lot better knowing the battle was supposed to be longer and the only reason it was cut short is because of budget cuts.
Same here, I feel better about the whole episode.

Knightfan82
Rookie

Post by Knightfan82 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:16 pm

I was much shorter than I had antisipated. Weeks of build up and it was over in three minutes ( I might be wrong about the length). This should have been a two part episode. I would Have liked to have seen more of KARR (next time maybe?). What suprised the hell out of me was how KARR was Defeated. There had been speculation here at the Forum that KITT would turboboost through KARR's cockpit: AND THAT'S WHAT HAPPENED! Either, we all had the same idea or MKV was looking for ideas here. Just saw the extended cut of the battle on Youtube. NBC made a huge mistake cutting back the budget for this episode.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:26 pm

While another minute or two of fight footage would've definitely been cool, it'd still hardly be epic-worthy. If only that needless trip to Hawaii was avoided and the money saved there than on the actual battle itself. That little bit of extra dialogue went a long way as K.A.R.R. needed all the extra lines he could get.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

lunchmeat
FLAG Recruit

Post by lunchmeat » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:57 pm

Aw, dude, this was awesome! I've only just now seen it and my suspicions about the editing were correct. I really liked what they did with the fight here and I would have loved to see this in action.

I actually liked the Sarah stuff at the beginning - it showed us how she was dealing with her problems, and it set the stage for her father telling her to get back into the game. I thought it was a pretty well-done sequence that reinforced her character a little more. This doesn't mean that I necessarily like Sarah - but know more about her from this encounter, and I understand her character traits.

They could've cut the XBOX stuff with Billy - although I enjoyed the scenes, and although they did lighten the mood a little, I didn't understand why they couldn't just hack into the XBOX from their location. That's actually what I expected them to do - it would've saved time and given us the full KI3t/KARR battle.

Edit: I think it's hilarious how KI3T says "goodbye" at the end of the PreVis scene. Think the Masterkey guys threw in the AOL soundclip for laughs. :P
If I am destroyed... ...so shall you be. -KARR

BlueChaos
FLAG Recruit

Post by BlueChaos » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:07 am

Damn, this fight is on a whole other level than what we got in the final product. Shame on NBC for not putting this battle scene in its entirety. This would have been epic alright.
"If Darth Vader had a KITT bathroom, then he would have ruled the galaxy far far away since a long long time ago..." *LASER!* :good:

knight_Sam
Recruit

Post by knight_Sam » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:35 am

What ever said & done this was an awesome episode I just loved it guys at NBC pls keep KITT on air give the show a new slot weekends Prime time 7 OR 8 PM but pls do not cancell the show it is getting better & we expect a lot more from it.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:25 am

If NBC did cut the budget then all is forgiven on the crew's part as it was out of their control!

But isn't cutting the budget yet another hint of the show's cancellation? They did that with TOS with the 4th season and then it got cancelled.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:19 am

I hope they'll re-release all these on DVD and keep the full versions of the eps intact! Or the full battle (with Peter Cullen's, Justin Breuning's and Val Kilmer's voices in them) and in full hi-res on the DVD as extras. I'll be very disappointed if that don't happen.

KARR was amazing! LOVED it!