KARR...Back from the Bridge CPU, or New Creation?

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

What do you think this KARR is?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:01 am

A. KARR from '82, ala CPU retrieval and placed in a new exoskeleton/Mustang body
48%
B. A completely new enity, that happens to have a simular name to the '82 KARR
24%
C. A mix of both
28%
D. None of the Above
No votes

Total votes: 67

KittKattBar
Volunteer

Re: KARR...Back from the Bridge CPU, or New Creation?

Post by KittKattBar » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:48 pm

I was disappointed that this KARR was a separate character. It doesn't make sense if you attempt to link one series to the other. I was also disappointed that the whole thing was resolved in one ep. This should have warranted a two-parter.

I did however, like hearing Peter Cullen's voice again. He's always been one of my favorite voice actors and elicits strong childhood memories for me.

I also liked how they can now bring back FLAG and Knight Industries can once again operate free from government interference.
My next car will be a 2010 Shelby Mustang!

K.A.C.I.
Operative

Post by K.A.C.I. » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:04 pm

HONEST TO GOD, PEOPLE!
KI3T is entirely separate from KI2T, so why should the equivalent KARR be any different?
Seriously, why does it even matter? Whatever happened to judging a show on its own merit, instead of always bitching and moaning about how it's different from the show it's loosely based on?

Haven't seen the Ep yet - I missed it, I was at dinner. I'll watch it tomorrow.
Knight Autonomous Cyber-Automotive Interceptor

goldbug
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by goldbug » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:07 pm

Hmmm...you know, after watching this episode, nothing in it ever confirms or denies that this is the original KARR cpu. I could see the "military KARR" easily being based on the original KARR's programming. Granted I would have liked that to have been said implicitly, but at least they're not denying it outright.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

Tony P Knight Driver
Operative

Post by Tony P Knight Driver » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:13 pm

OK I am man enought to admit when I am wrong.

Although KARR was a new incarnation of KITT's evil twin, the episode was well done.

The story also did enough of an arc to connect it to TOS and the movie in a kinky kinda way, but it works for me.

All it really took was bringing Wilton Knight onto the grid in some manner, that ties in Mikes dad, KI2T FLAG, everything. Hopefully there will be a second season where we get to explore what happened to FLAG and why it stopped operating.
Tony P.
The Knight Driver
Keep Knight Rider Rolling
One Person Can Make a Difference.
SUPPORT KNIGHT RIDER!
http://www.gopetition.com/online/23816.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Harry Singh Jr.
Operative

Post by Harry Singh Jr. » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:27 pm

Yeah completley new. Who knows what direction there going with this. Then in the end the make more referrances to the Old show by mentioning Wilton Knight and FLAGG.

ghidorah15
Rookie

Post by ghidorah15 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:32 pm

Actually, they never said one way or the other if this was the original KARR. They left it open, and I'm pretty sure they did so deliberately. I suspect that if this show survives into at least a second season, they'll clear it up.

For what it's worth, I was quite thrilled with KARR despite his limited screentime...especially when Peter Cullen's voice started speaking from within that black frame. :)

WIBoomer1
FLAG Recruit

Post by WIBoomer1 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:30 pm

OK, there's no mention of Self Preservation from Graiman in his back from the beach speech. There's no mention period of anything involving the 82 KARR, or for that matter, MK Sr or KI2T. If this was mythbusters, this would be confirmed...no 82 KARR.

Some people have said they think this opened more questions than answers. If you now would take Trust Doesn't Rust, KITT vs. KARR, and Knight to King's Pawn and try and make them a Trilogy, the last episode has no ties to the first 2. As much as we old KR fans would have loved to have had continuity and connection with the old series cemented here with this version of KARR, we got a lot of nice bones tossed our way, i.e. The yellow scanner, the voice, the name.

It's not our old KARR, but it was a nice try.

GST should have not killed this KARR off so fast. He's splintered into a million pieces, and there was no flashing lights still indicating anything was salvageable from this version. So it's one and done for 08 KARR.

Glissard
Recruit

Post by Glissard » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:36 pm

I'm sure we haven't seen the last of this new KARR. Though next time around, I'm sure he'd just be a car... an evil car. This was a great episode, but it was over way to quick. We at least needed a great KITT/KARR chase. I want more!

ghidorah15
Rookie

Post by ghidorah15 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:37 pm

Do I really have to repeat myself? They left this KARR's origins open, guys. There's no proof one way or the other. And I doubt we've seen the last of him. KARR never does die for good.

Korris
Volunteer

Post by Korris » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:52 pm

I'm disappointed that they didn't connect the two KARR characters. It's like, 'C'mon! didn't y'all learn your lessons the first time around?!?!?" Worst case though I suppose, is that they were dumb enough to give the project the same name as the first failed experiment for a KITT prototype. If anything, the name is just plain jinxed :P

KnightRider87t/a
Recruit

Post by KnightRider87t/a » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:12 am

Oh come on nothing even really happened in this episode! :x

Not even a shred of reference of the old series or KI2T or the old KARR come on!

WHY they just gave everything the scanner the sounds the voice but not even any orgins or a story about
KARR

and that fight was short i thought it was gonna be this really cool fight/chase scene :kitt: :karr:

and skit mode wasn't even real!!!! come on jeez

The only that really came out good out of this episode is that F.L.A.G. is coming back

Tony P Knight Driver
Operative

Post by Tony P Knight Driver » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:00 am

I have to agree that if Knight Rider gets a second season, KARR will be back!

The NSA douche will probably search the wreakage, find the AI unit damaged but repairable, insert in to the back up shell thta we heard about earlier in the season. And walla new KARR only instead of a killer orbot hes a crazed nanotech enhanced selfprograming car.

If that doesnt work, well lets just say if KITT can upload himeslf to the WWW, why couldnt KARR he had as much time as KITT did.

Trust me season two will bring KARR round 2.

i hate to say it but they did indirectly say this was a new KARR but the first KARR also exisited. Once Graimen said Wilton Kight's namei t all came together with the movie's continuation of the series.
KNIGHT RIDER IS BACK! spread the word!!!
BTW they answered the MBS question..new KITT no MBS just nanotech.
Tony P.
The Knight Driver
Keep Knight Rider Rolling
One Person Can Make a Difference.
SUPPORT KNIGHT RIDER!
http://www.gopetition.com/online/23816.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:26 am

Mentioning FLAG and Wilton connect it to the original series about as firmly as sticking a bowling ball to a steel beam with Elmer's Glue.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

honnziva
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by honnziva » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:35 am

why is no one in the chat???
"To our future. No matter who it may take us up against or where"

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:57 am

Because Neil apparently has taken the chat offline or at least to the point where you can't access it without using a link in your history.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Kaine
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kaine » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:36 am

i would have loved to see KARR's voice orb, at least once. :?

Lexicon
Operative

Post by Lexicon » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:21 am

Where was this stated? In either text or video? I'd love to read or view it.

Here are three quotes from GST regarding the telefilm taken from an interview conducted by KRO's very own Neil:
Now I know they were up against the strike, and they had limited time and limited budget, so I can't fault them for what they did, they did what they did and now we're just going to take it to another level. When I came in, I went look, here's the deal. There was the original Knight Rider series which we all love, there was the 2-hour movie, and now there's the new series. And they share in common a car named KITT, different car in some cases, and there's going to be some people from the 2-hour movie who are carrying over to the new series. And we're going to see some new faces too. That's sort of what I told NBC when I came in. I said look, if you're going to do the 2-hour again this isn't for me and if you're going to do that on a weekly basis I'm not your guy. I'm the guy who wrote The Fast and the Furious, I have a reputation, and that reputation's going to be on this show so I need to make it cool.
They had talked to me about it during Vegas, but I was too busy doing Vegas and I was doing other development and writing features as well. I think they were just asking what I thought, if I had thoughts on it. And then after I guess the 2-hour... Some time during the strike I think it was first floated that hey, there's this thing we want you to look at. And I'm like we're on strike so we can't really talk. And then the strike killed Las Vegas which is my show, and I sort of became a free agent and there were a couple of studios and networks who wanted me and they said would you take a look at this Knight Rider thing. And I did, and they asked my opinion, and I said do you really want my opinion? Because that's always a loaded question in Hollywood when they ask your opinion. Most of time it's like we want to hear how good it was. And I told them if you really want my opinion I'll tell you what I think, OK? And so I told them, it didn't really look like you advanced anything. You need to reinvent this. If you're going to go to series, you need to reinvent it. It's really got to be something cool. And something cool every week. So we started talking about what to do, and they really kind of just said how would you make this a series? And I said this isn't making a series.
There is... and the problem is... look, I read your stuff, I read other things, some people didn't like it, some people did like it. Some people liked this character, some people didn't like that character. It's very hard to judge exactly what they did and didn't like, or who they did or didn't like. It's so much easier to say, that was then and this is now. That was the 2-hour, and now we're making the series. The series will have some elements that are the same, and a lot of different ones.
http://shadowyflight.com/news/2008/04/e ... -part1.php

cazman101
Rookie

Post by cazman101 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:39 am

Whats really confused me now is if it isn't the same Then have they changed who Mikes father is aswell or are they still intergrating it and this Karr was just confused at the name michael knight. I mean it could still be written around. Don't forget this Karr would have if they had used the sofware from the damaged unit that was left at the end of KITT VS KARR would have had mayjor gaps and glitches in the system so it would be no suprise that KARR would be confused. So its still possable to write it so that the show fits with the original show its just a question of whether they want it to fit.

Lexicon
Operative

Post by Lexicon » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:02 am

cazman101 wrote:Whats really confused me now is if it isn't the same Then have they changed who Mikes father is aswell or are they still intergrating it and this Karr was just confused at the name michael knight. I mean it could still be written around. Don't forget this Karr would have if they had used the sofware from the damaged unit that was left at the end of KITT VS KARR would have had mayjor gaps and glitches in the system so it would be no suprise that KARR would be confused. So its still possable to write it so that the show fits with the original show its just a question of whether they want it to fit.
The new KR series follows the basic mythology of the original KR. All that means in the context of the new show is the following:

1. Michael Long became Michael Knight.

2. There was a Knight Industries Two Thousand and it was driven by Michael Knight.

3. The Foundation For Law And Government existed and was funded by Wilton Knight and Knight Industries.

Yes they could write the show to better fit in with the original but they may want flexibility to do what they need to do without having to refer to act 2 of episode 6 of season 3 to see if they are violating the sacred continuity.

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:20 am

Lexicon wrote:
cazman101 wrote:Whats really confused me now is if it isn't the same Then have they changed who Mikes father is aswell or are they still intergrating it and this Karr was just confused at the name michael knight. I mean it could still be written around. Don't forget this Karr would have if they had used the sofware from the damaged unit that was left at the end of KITT VS KARR would have had mayjor gaps and glitches in the system so it would be no suprise that KARR would be confused. So its still possable to write it so that the show fits with the original show its just a question of whether they want it to fit.
The new KR series follows the basic mythology of the original KR. All that means in the context of the new show is the following:

1. Michael Long became Michael Knight.

2. There was a Knight Industries Two Thousand and it was driven by Michael Knight.

3. The Foundation For Law And Government existed and was funded by Wilton Knight and Knight Industries.

Yes they could write the show to better fit in with the original but they may want flexibility to do what they need to do without having to refer to act 2 of episode 6 of season 3 to see if they are violating the sacred continuity.
True at least in that regard they have kept the TOS mythology in this episode, but it still feels it was rushed, that the duel was too short lived and the undeniable fact that some key scenes were obviously removed probably because of time constraints. A 2 parter could have done a better job. The episode was good but it could have been a whole lot better.

WIBoomer1
FLAG Recruit

Post by WIBoomer1 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:31 am

I thought about this last night. The Green Screen shot showed Torres being tossed into a wall...which interesting enough, we never saw in the episode...so it was shot, but never used.

Sarah stated that Charles was the program. There always could be some creative way to bring KARR back, but for now, from what I've seen, I'm highly doubting that.

K.A.C.I.
Operative

Post by K.A.C.I. » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:54 am

The stunt in question was, from what I can tell from the Behind-the-Scenes video we were shown, meant to be used for when KARR swiped Torres off the ground before stuffing him in his cockpit.
KnightRider87t/a wrote:Not even a shred of reference of the old series or KI2T or the old KARR come on!
[...]
The only that really came out good out of this episode is that F.L.A.G. is coming back
Two things:
1. Am I the only one seeing a contradiction here? You say "not a shred of reference to the old series", and in the same post you mention FLAG, which was one of the central elements of the original KR.
2. SO WHAT ELSE IS NEW?! There was NEVER any direct, concrete connection between the current KITT and its predecessor other than vaguely similar background history, so why the hell would KARR be any different?
Knight Autonomous Cyber-Automotive Interceptor

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:30 pm

K.A.C.I. wrote:The stunt in question was, from what I can tell from the Behind-the-Scenes video we were shown, meant to be used for when KARR swiped Torres off the ground before stuffing him in his cockpit.
KnightRider87t/a wrote:Not even a shred of reference of the old series or KI2T or the old KARR come on!
[...]
Two things:
1. Am I the only one seeing a contradiction here? You say "not a shred of reference to the old series", and in the same post you mention FLAG, which was one of the central elements of the original KR.
2. SO WHAT ELSE IS NEW?! There was NEVER any direct, concrete connection between the current KITT and its predecessor other than vaguely similar background history, so why the hell would KARR be any different?
LOL Haters are always contradicting themselves... :lol:

cazman101
Rookie

Post by cazman101 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:56 pm

Well i would say that this KARR is probably based on the old KARR Ai. Dr Graiman was against it all the way but seemed to be under pressure from the NSA to complete the project. He knew what KARR was and kept procrastinating about finishing the job thats not to say that the original KARR module was installed in this more like a botched Cloned Ai unit. I figure the Original KARR is still locked in storage somewhere in the Knight safe archive.

ghidorah15
Rookie

Post by ghidorah15 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:00 pm

cazman101 wrote:Well I would say that this KARR is probably based on the old KARR AI. Dr Graiman was against it all the way but seemed to be under pressure from the NSA to complete the project. He knew what KARR was and kept procrastinating about finishing the job. That's not to say that the original KARR module was installed in this, more like a botched Cloned AI unit. I figure the original KARR is still locked in storage somewhere in the Knight safe archive.
Hey, I like that theory. :) That way, this KARR's AI was indeed built from the original KARR's AI, but said original wasn't destroyed--he's still out there somewhere, just waiting to be reactivated.