Live Discussion - Knight to King's Pawn

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

KnightIndustriesTT
Rookie

Re: Live Discussion - Knight to King's Pawn

Post by KnightIndustriesTT » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:19 pm

Oh so yes, the Dr. G hologram was FANTASTIC (totally gets the capitals) throughout the episode with great moments.

Loved how he single-handedly accomplished exactly what we all wanted his role to be as he gave a great speech getting the FLAG mission of helping people back in the limelight as well as showing his love for Wilton Knight and what the Foundation stood for.

I agree about the battle, when you really step back the length was more or less pretty good (ofcourse we want more!) and given deadlines and everything for TV and how long it probably took to design the sequence there was a ton of moves (not to mention a ton of oldschool moves) packed in to the time they had. If anything I would have hoped for some "cheap" (cost-wise) moments with KITT and KARR in car modes racing around each other so that they could say something to each other before the battle but KARR was probably more menacing this way to new comers.

Honestly this episode had the long time KR-fan in me pretty giddy, a decent amount of name dropping and old stuff, KARR's classic scanner sound (had to geek out at that moment) and when he spoke for the first time, and the oldschool turboboost finisher. Also, KARR transforming from robot mode back to normal car mode and driving out of the warehouse after "pwning" Torres was a badass moment.

Hopefully they get the chance to bring KARR back and build off of this encounter.
Last edited by KnightIndustriesTT on Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PatrickGSR94
Volunteer

Post by PatrickGSR94 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:21 pm

IMHO KI3T's victory seemed just too easy. I would have thought KARR would have been a little more resilient than that.

I'm wondering if maybe the NSA guy turns evil and wants to get revenge on Knight, so he rounds up a team of mad scientists, scavenges all those parts and rebuilds KARR. :karr:

Also, KARR didn't blow up at the end of "Trust Doesn't Rust" I don't believe. He just got buried in the sand until he reappeared in "KITT vs. KARR"

MikeLutton
Operative

Post by MikeLutton » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:22 pm

he kidnapped torries like he kidnapped the young couple who found him last time on original show al though nobody die seeing sarah at the beach in the water was hot felt like i was watching orignal again kind of.i was also waiting for a hoff refrence i hope it going be good from this point on

KTMCDO
Recruit

Post by KTMCDO » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:28 pm

I really enjoyed the return of KARR
doubt he is really destoryed thou
prob they will bring him back in the
future ok with that said
BRING ON GOLIATH :good:

KnightINSTINCT
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by KnightINSTINCT » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:30 pm

It should have been a two-parter.

The showdown between KITT against KARR was freakin' awesome!

The story leading to KITT's reemergence was good..it made me believe this show was going to be a two-parter.

WELL, now KARR is gone for good. Hooray! The whole story on KARR beyond Trust Doesn't Rust was always hard for me to swallow. I thought for sure this new series was going to introduce new KITT-worthy adversaries rather than bringing back the prototype that just won't die. It's just been a *?$# story on why KARR is the way he is (since KITT vs. KARR). And I hope THEY DO NOT bring back Goliath, or Garthe Knight. Let KR08 stand on it's own, with mythology intact, minus enemies from 80's past.

zero
Rookie

Post by zero » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:31 pm

Overall it was a great episode. However, I echo others who say this should have been a two parter. KARR should have defeated KITT with a clifhanger to next week with KITT destroyed. Then next week we pick up with the rebuilding of FLAG and KITT getting fixed up, and spend the rest of the episode chasing KARR.

The fight scene between KITT and KARR was amazing. It felt like something right out of a videogame, very cool. My favorite part was the Skimode, which looked really great. I was expecting it to look cheezy but it was rad. But the editing of the fight felt way off, like they had to trim it way down to fit everything in. For example when the grapling hook hits KARR, it feels like there should be another shot in there. Also, Mike doesn't even finish saying "TURBO BOOST" and they switch to a shot of KITT smashing through KARR. Poor editing disapointed me, but I still went back and watched the fight scene 3 times. :)

I'm interested in seeing how they proceed from here, but I'm kind of disappointed if it's true about the episode order being changed around. I hope there's some logic to that.

My HUGE complaint about this episode is the continuity makes NO sense. They act as if the original KITT didn't even exist. I don't get it.

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:34 pm

MikeLutton wrote:he kidnapped torries like he kidnapped the young couple who found him last time on original show al though nobody die seeing sarah at the beach in the water was hot felt like i was watching orignal again kind of.i was also waiting for a hoff refrence i hope it going be good from this point on
KARR did more than kidnap the young couple. He wormed his way into John's life, almost killed his boss so that John can take over the marina, included John in his schemes to rob a bank and attack the semi, almost killed his girl Mandy through asphyxiation, used John and Mandy to bait Michael and KITT, etc. All KARR did tonight was grab and bond Torres to himself. Instead of seeing more of KARR's manipulations we were treated to lines like Zoe saying "Oooo forceful I like that" or whatever she said. People claiming this was a great episode make me wonder if they ever saw KITT v. KARR. To each his own.

kittxthexcat
Rookie

Post by kittxthexcat » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:35 pm

-sigh- This episode was only 90% awesome for me. My major favorite part? FREAKIN' SKI MODE. I've been desperately waiting for ski mode since the movie came out. You have no idea how exciting that was for me XD Ski Mode is totally the coolest thing Kitt can do. And I absolutely loved the end. Props to Graimen(sp??) for almost saying One Man Can Make a Difference. Very happy 'bout that.

There's some HUGE things that I really, really am disappointed about. First, Karr. I really thing Cullen got jipped on this. Karr barely got a good line in, and most of the time he was just repeating himself. Kitt didn't say anything to him either! Ugh. They gave NO back story on why Karr hates Kitt so much and I think they missed a HUGE opportunity there. They missed a huge opportunity to bring Karr back (obviously by destroying him all stupid like that) to have an uber awesome episode where Mike gets kidnapped and drugged into piloting Karr for a while. How sweet would that have been!? Just awesome. And how come Karr always has to 'die' in such stupid ways? He never gets a cool death. He always just explodes. Boring. And destroying him was a horrible idea. I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't even on screen for 5 minutes. What's next? Kitt takes out Garth and Goliath by turbo boosting through some random white semi and then finding out later who it was? -sigh- For the hype they put into it, and for all it could have been, that was a MAJOR let down.

Minus all the parts I didn't like, this episode was great. Maybe even better than last weeks (and I REALLY liked last week!) Oh yeah, if they never use Ski Mode again, I'll be pissed. It's awesome XD

<3's :karr:

Oh yeah, I don't know how I liked Peter Cullen. I don't know why, but he sounded like Peter Cullen and not Karr (yeah, that sounds weird, but that's the best I can explain it XD) Atleast next week looks great, Kitt gets to save the day!
---
Kitt the Cat, but you can call me Spiff.

Billy: "I just ask cause it sounds like Kitt's making you his bitch..."
Mike: "Get back to the math BILLY!"

KnightINSTINCT
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightINSTINCT » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:40 pm

KARR is not programmed to hate, just like KI3T. KARR needs Mike Traceur, ergo, KITT MUST DIE!!

duh duh-duh duh? DUH duh-duh DUHHHH??

King2000
Volunteer

Post by King2000 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:41 pm

Since Torres is still alive, and KARR 'fused as one' with him, KARR could still live within him in theory, correct?

Either way, I thought the episode was pretty good. We needed more KARR. This should have been a 2 parter, with the 2nd part containing huge fight seens. They basically rehashed the KITT vs KARR episode with KITT turbo boosting through KARR's weak spot.

Also, what's the deal with the show's storyline? Does this follow the timeline of TOS?

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:41 pm

-
It was not explained which KARR this was
I am under the impression this was the original KARR and I am also beginning to get the impression that this is also an upgraded form of KI2T... :?:

KRShelby
Rookie

Post by KRShelby » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:48 pm

King2000 wrote:Since Torres is still alive, and KARR 'fused as one' with him, KARR could still live within him in theory, correct?

Either way, I thought the episode was pretty good. We needed more KARR. This should have been a 2 parter, with the 2nd part containing huge fight seens. They basically rehashed the KITT vs KARR episode with KITT turbo boosting through KARR's weak spot.

Also, what's the deal with the show's storyline? Does this follow the timeline of TOS?
What made you think Torres is alive?

i think the most realistic way for KARR to come back would be that he didn't completely get destroyed.

KITTANDBILLYLUVER
FLAG Recruit

Post by KITTANDBILLYLUVER » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:51 pm

That may be. He was just in large pieces. He could still be out there, causing havoc. Hehe...

Mathyus
Rookie

Post by Mathyus » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:56 pm

Nah, I think that Torres is dead, and gone. He was suppoed to e leaving the show, and he did.
End of line program... -MCP-

fernbern0131
Volunteer

Post by fernbern0131 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:57 pm

it was one HELL of a charge to see KARR transform into a twin of KITT. And to have Peter Cullen voice Karr again. Heck, this is the best episode. The prospect of FLAG being resurrected. And the reference to Wilton Knight... And that FLAG will be resurrected.

I hope NBC continues this series. The only thing better than KARR would be to resurrect the original KITT. That would be the bomb! Kitt 2k and Kitt 3k fighthing Karr would be great. KARR isn't gone... he's just down for the count.

Doug
Last edited by fernbern0131 on Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mathyus
Rookie

Post by Mathyus » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:01 pm

I think the only way they could bring back KI2T would be if it was to have his life end. They could not have both in the show.

ghidorah15
Rookie

Post by ghidorah15 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:02 pm

Mathyus wrote:I think the only way they could bring back KI2T would be if it was to have his life end. They could not have both in the show.
Why not? GST has gone on record as saying he sees no reason why they can't have both KITTs side by side.

KITTANDBILLYLUVER
FLAG Recruit

Post by KITTANDBILLYLUVER » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:03 pm

Mathyus wrote:Nah, I think that Torres is dead, and gone. He was suppoed to e leaving the show, and he did.
No, I was meaning KARR. I think Torres is dead also. I think KARR might be able to come back.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:06 pm

ghidorah15 wrote:
Mathyus wrote:I think the only way they could bring back KI2T would be if it was to have his life end. They could not have both in the show.
Why not? GST has gone on record as saying he sees no reason why they can't have both KITTs side by side.
GST says a lot of things, like a used car salesman trying to sell someone a piece of junk and most of the time, much like a used car salesman, much of the time he's full of ****.

This episode was such a hugely wasted opportunity... Yeah, it's nice and all that we FINALLY, after 12 episodes FINALLY get a mention of the guy who started Knight Industries and the idea of bringing back FLAG and no it wasn't a horrible episode, but there's so much that could have been done to make it more than what it was. I could deal fine with KARR not being the original IF it was explained why there is a new KARR but they didn't do that and I guess a certain someone was right about KARR only showing up in the last ten minutes.. The VFX were really good but the build up didn't match the terribly anti-climatic execution. I wonder how many parents turned off the TV from the first five minutes and the "love scene". The "reboot" better deliver because from the first view this episode didn't make me feel any disappointment for the show likely not making it to a second season. There were things I liked but I'll go over that after the second viewing, next time in HD. :mrgreen:
Last edited by PHOENIXZERO on Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

KITTKARR85
Recruit

Post by KITTKARR85 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:09 pm

Overall, I think this was a great but rushed episode. I loved Graiman coming back as a hologram and giving Sarah reasons to continue. It was shivering to hear KARR's scanner from KITT VS. KARR. The battle was way rushed and I agree, should have been a 2 parter but no KARR episode has been that so I guess they kept it that way. Seeing KI3T in action was awesome using old school maneuvers and finishing him off just like the original. (Would love to get a screen shot of that pic to use as my wallpaper 8) ) Graiman saying that the SSC was still theirs was a letdown as I was hoping to get away from the "KITT Cave" *Shivers saying that...*

I really was hoping that KARR would run a muck like in Trust Doesn't Rust with Torres and having KARR mention KI2T. Honestly, there could have been many more nods to the original series going back to finding files of clips of KARR such as when he was shutdown in the warehouse and also shown like they did to find out who was driving KARR in KvK when he turbo boosted into the semi to get alpha capacitors. It would have been awesome seeing them recovering KARR's CPU from the desert, maybe a younger version of Torres. When Sarah imputed the code, I was hoping that the old FLAG Knight chess piece symbol would pop up and then transfer the funds.

One thing is for sure, when we think we've seen the last of KARR, he returns. :karr:

scorbing
Recruit

Post by scorbing » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:15 pm

I agree with those that say it should have been a two-part episode. They tried to put too much together in 60 minutes. Not enough KARR vs KITT action either. I am disappointed in that. I though the KARR vs KITT scene was going to last a minimum of 10 minutes. KITT didn't say a damn thing to KARR. It's like they never knew each other existed. Back to the KITT vs KARR scene at the end, we must also take under consideration that making that scene had to cost NBC quite a bit of money. Those were some serious visual effects for a TV series with a set budget and I take it that episode must have cost at least $1.5 million dollars but nevertheless, they should have made it a two part deal and have more KARR vs KITT stuff and also give us more background info on KARR.

Oh well, maybe next time, if there is another.

Oh and by the way, I don't think the Doctor is really dead. No body. No funeral. I think he escaped and he will be back in a later episode.

fernbern0131
Volunteer

Post by fernbern0131 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:18 pm

So true. KARR will return if NBC retains the series.

I agree the fight between Kitt and Karr was rushed. The one thing I missed about this episode is Kitt and Karr's personal fight. Like in "trust doesn't rust".
And Karr saying "If I am destroyed, so shall you be."

LeslieGruffod
Rookie

Post by LeslieGruffod » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:19 pm

Im SO disappointed I can't put it in words.

Karr was barely in it at all.

A 2 parter was needed.

It doesn't rival any of the Karr episodes from TOS.

The previous 2 eps were superior.

Writers: if you are gonna use a villain as iconic as Karr, PLEASE at least USE HIM. a few mins at the end, is awful.

WASTED OPPORTUNITY

Oh and making him kitt's predecessor after what happened with the original Karr...... DOH is DUMB. If you are saying the original Karr never existed, then why even bother to have Mike assume the identity as Michael Knight. You're not caring about the original at all you are rewriting it.

I'm not one to have negative comments, I'm seriously let down.

If the Hoff does appear as Michael Knight by some miracle, does that mean his adventures with Karr and now null and void........

Mathyus
Rookie

Post by Mathyus » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:20 pm

I thought they did a some kind of sevice for Dr. G. I could be wrong, but I thought Mike said something about a service.

scorbing
Recruit

Post by scorbing » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:24 pm

fernbern0131 wrote:So true. KARR will return if NBC retains the series.

I agree the fight between Kitt and Karr was rushed. The one thing I missed about this episode is Kitt and Karr's personal fight. Like in "trust doesn't rust".
And Karr saying "If I am destroyed, so shall you be."

Yes the KARR vs KITT scene was and felt VERY rushed. Wasted Opportunity indeed.