Live Discussion - Knight to King's Pawn

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

KITT Season 4
Rookie

Re: Live Discussion - Knight to King's Pawn

Post by KITT Season 4 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:23 pm

-Robot Mode
-Torres driver
-KARR acting like a crazed lover
-Ski Mode
-Graiman is sorta back
-damaged KIIT
-The Xbox thing
-Billy taking control
Dislike
-Too short
-Bot enough car
-Perfect Oppurtunity for one man making a differemce line not used
-
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Torres death
felt like a waste
-It was not explained which KARR this was
-too short
-Toos short
Confusing
Billy calls KARR the Knight Automated Roving Robot, not Knight Auto-Cybernetic Roving Robot-Exoskeleton

-

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Lost Knight » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:24 pm

Well, I'm pretty astonished at just how lackluster this episode was. I don't know how K.A.R.R. can be hyped up so much all season for a 3-minute fight. And I guess he's back to being the Knight Automated Roving Robot again without the in-between words? I realize computer effects take months and months to complete, but at least have K.A.R.R. do more in his Mustang form.

They completely swept K.A.R.R. under the rug for the entire episode while Billy and Zoey typed away at their laptops and Mike turned himself into the Punisher. Even the fight itself (when it finally happened) was completely rushed and lackluster. Did Peter Cullen forget how to act as K.A.R.R.? Because it sounded more like he was Optimus Prime.

This entire episode was nothing but a complete wasted opportunity. Now is anyone going to tell me that this wasn't a "bait-and-switch"? I also love how people can hop on planes and fly anywhere they want within a matter of minutes. I'm pretty sure a flight from Hawaii to Los Angeles would take more than 15 minutes, not to mention all of the other traveling.

Who wrote this episode and what the hell were they thinking? I'm going to have to watch "K.I.T.T. Vs. K.A.R.R." to wipe this piece of crap out of my memory like the characters in the show.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

TwilightPro101
Recruit

Post by TwilightPro101 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:26 pm

Glad to see FLAG back in gear!

My only real gripe this episode was the short fight between KITT and KARR. It seemed extremely too short.

Although I loved hearing Peter Cullen doing KARR once more.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:28 pm

WOW! :shock: :shock: :shock: :karr:

I am amazed! Peter Cullen did an AWESOME job! If he sounded like that in the original series that would have made KARR ever more menacing! AWESOME!

And the turbo-boost to kill KARR at the end - ode to the original! Only no indication at the end that KARR "somehow" survived. That's sad. I was holding out hope...

The thing I don't get is, if KITT was in that pulled chip to the point where it was all he was, his personality, who he is, etc. then why was KARR his own personality and not KITT? And why didn't the "don't hurt humans" programming work? Just that part alone didn't make sense.

They added some elements of Junkyard Dog in there too, where KITT is nearly destroyed and they have to rebuild him and all that.

Overall this is THE BEST episode of the new series yet! I'm so glad to have seen KARR. Though I think we didn't see/hear of him *enough* before he was destroyed. I would have liked to have seen much more of KARR. In the original series he was seen far more than that in both episodes Trust Doesn't Rust and KITT vs. KARR.

This episode only leaves one wanting MORE KARR and sadly realizing there IS NO MORE KARR. :cry:

Unless KARR downloaded HIMself into the internet like KITT did and...???

(I better go check my internet connection. LOL!)

Also when they were trying to download KITT off the internet, was I the the only one that wanted to run to my laptop and try to find KITT too? LOL! MY KITT (my laptop) was actually shut down at the time I was watching so I didn't have time to power up and log in, really.

But that was all just so COOL! Maybe KARR is still alive somewhere...?

I wish I had time to write a fanfic... LOL! I have all KINDS of ideas now!

KRShelby
Rookie

Post by KRShelby » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:31 pm

First of all.. should have been a two parter. We should have seen more of KARR vs KITT. So damn rushed, i'm quite disappointed at the ending and felt this was wasted.

With that being said though, the rest of the episode was awesome. I can ignore some of the misgivings as its going back to its roots, and we were able to see the start of FLAG. What we DID manage to see of KARR was awesome, Billy remains to grow on me as a character as well.

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Post by tamatt27 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:32 pm

I thought this episode started out great! The first 30 minutes were good, but it's bery clear that they rushed the ending. The KITT vs KARR interaction was like 2 minutes!!! KITT didn't even interact with KARR. I must say that I'm very disappointed. This should've been a 2-parter for sure!
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:38 pm

This was a MAJOR letdown. But this episode in particular highlights what's fundamentally wrong with this series. It has way too much exposition. Its not that the exposition is bad since its fine to spend the time showing how they reactivate KITT. But if you're gonna add this much exposition it should have been a 2 part episode. 90% exposition 10% KITT and KARR is what this episode turned out to be. Not only was KARR a completely wasted opportunity since he was barely in it, but they killed off the character! What the heck are they thinking? The show is called Knight Rider yet KITT is reduced to a secondary character and they'd rather devote time to Michael and Sarah than Michael and KITT? Amazing how the producers of this show still don't get it after 3 cracks at it. The 2 hour film, the series, and the reboot. I think at this point the best thing they can do is cancel it and let Knight Rider be a product of the 80s.

DevonStyles
FLAG Recruit

Post by DevonStyles » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:40 pm

I'm a little mixed on tonights episode.... I think the plot and everthing around it was excellent.

I was a little letdown by the actual battle. It lasted like 45 seconds. It should have been a little more drawn out. But the excellent storyline took up most of the episode.... I think this one would have made an excellent 2 part episode.
The turbo boost through Karr was a little :roll: I don't like the slow motion turbo boost.

The think that made the orignal kitt vs karr and trust don't rust so great was the entire episode was based on the chase, which came down to the final ending scenes. It would have been cool to see 2 or 3 encounters throughout the episode comming down to the final battle.
edited by the good folks at knightrideronline

Lynda414
FLAG Assistant

Post by Lynda414 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:41 pm

Okay, this episode really freaked me out. But not for a reason that it might have bothered someone else. I really need a shot of perspective here, and I think this is the place to get it.

When Billy, Zoe and Mike were all at that outdoor cafe on their laptops and they are trying to figure out how KITT could get a message to them before he was shut down, Billy suddenly brings up a music sharing site that he and KITT use. It being Graiman's idea that KITT get into music so he could experience the different artist's perspectives.

Okay, now, KI3T has never on any other episode mentioned anything about music, I know this because I checked. It was something I wanted to make sure about. Now, here is a direct quote from the pilot episode I wrote for my Alternate Storyline, which was published last month on fanfiction.net.

The seriousness of their situation hung over them like a blanket. Kat decided to try and lift it, just a little. “So, you're favorite song is 'Smooth Criminal'?” She asked. She had her hands on the wheel, but she wasn't the one steering. Her reflexes weren't quick enough to handle the highway at they speed they were going.

“It is this week.” K.I.T.T answered.

“This week?”

“It changes, Charles says that is a good thing. He was the one who advised me to listen to music. He said it would help my learning, hearing so many different perspectives at one time. He is also testing the limits of my AI by having me show preference.”

“So... what does that mean? If you can show preference?” Kat asked.

“It means I can think closer to the way a human does, rather than, say, your toaster.” K.I.T.T answered flatly.

Am I the only one still weirded out? I am not going to cry foul or theft or anything like that. I'm writing a fanfic, so technically I am the one thefting. But, am I the only one who sees this? Can someone put this into perspective for me? Maybe something about this ep being written half a year ago or something (I have no idea when it was written), and it's all just a freaky coincidence? I'm inviting anyone out there to bring me down a notch.

BlackKitt
Rookie

Post by BlackKitt » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:41 pm

I was disappointed in KARR, he should have been evil and sadistic like his former version in KITT vs KARR. Next time yall wanna bring him back make him like his KITT vs KARR persona. Plus make him last alot longer than 10 mins.

KnightCrusader99
Operative

Post by KnightCrusader99 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:44 pm

KITT Season 4 wrote:-Ski Mode
Amen to that.
-Graiman is sorta back
I still find it funny that the didn't mention a burial. They just said 'service'. I know it was an explosion so the body was not found. Thus, leaves it open for him to come back if they ever wanted to pull that off next season. *Crosses Fingers*
Perfect Oppurtunity for one man making a differemce line not used
Second time actually. I was so sure Mike was going to say it last week when Stevenson said "they only sent one man"... so perfect to say "Well, one man can make a difference." Either then or now, I would have crapped my pants if I heard that.
It was not explained which KARR this was
Billy calls KARR the Knight Automated Roving Robot, not Knight Auto-Cybernetic Roving Robot-Exoskeleton
I think they are going to purposely leave that open and let us decide whether it was the KARR from TOS or not. Of course, with Billy's comment, it looks more like what we speculate is the truth. We just need an on screen mention of it.

TravisKnight01
Recruit

Post by TravisKnight01 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:47 pm

Awsome episode

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:48 pm

I definitely wanted more KARR - of course, I would have been happy if the entire episode was just KITT and KARR beating the crap out of each other.

That said, I really enjoyed the reerences to the original series, of which there were quite a few. Wilton Knight's name being invoked, now we know what has happened to FLAG and Knight Industries - it's all in Sarah's name now. And the battle between KITT and KARR was great - for such a short battle. I emphasize that because personally, I think it should have gone at least five minutes longer.

I loved the use of KITT's more "standard abilities". If you think about it, KITT used only the original KITT's abilities to battle KARR: Ski mode, Grappling hook and Turbo boost. Using Turbo Boost to crash and burn KARR was the perfect way to go since that is how KARR was defeated in TOS. This was clearly a battle meant for the fanboys. Also, it was really nice to hear the original KARR's "whoosh" noise when we see his yellow scanner.

Thematically, I think the writers did this deliberately. KARR represents the overblown CGI fest that many viewers complained about, so having KITT get "back to basics" to defeat him was not only a fun dramatic device, but also a statement on how the series itself is gettin "back to basics".

I definitely hope we will see KARR return in the future. It wouldn't surprise me if in those bits and pieces are elements that can be used for his resurrection.

I was also happy to see the Graiman hologram. We actually now have the "plot device" they can use to bring back Bruce for cameos now and then. Also, I remember several years ago when Da Hoff was shopping around a feature KR film, he mentioned that he might "bring back" Edward Mulhare as a hologram. This seems very much in the spirit of that idea.

Could the ep have been better? Absolutely. However, I really enjoyed it.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

GT500KR
FLAG Recruit

Post by GT500KR » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:48 pm

what is done is done.........this will never be a 2-parter so people move on.

From start to finish it was a good episode, but like most ppl disappointed in the KARR time.

I always stood put on that KR should be coming back for a 2nd..........so u think this was the final straw for NBC and KR?
"My wife asks me, why you do those burnouts? Well.....you do it for the kids, you know, Im not being immature. You just.....well you do it for the kids."
~Jay Leno

ReddawgKnight
FLAG Assistant

Post by ReddawgKnight » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:50 pm

the 1 thing that remains synonymous through this series and the original is that K.A.R.R. being in a total of 3 episodes always blows up in the end...hilarious. :good: :karr:

Mathyus
Rookie

Post by Mathyus » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:50 pm

I thought the episode was very good, except for the time of KARR on screen. However, I am not sure he is going to be done. The preview said beginning, the NSA guy does not seem to be going away without a fight. They have "blown" KARR up before, so until I hear some kind of word saying yes, he was for sure DONE, I will hope to see him again some day. :) Also, the ski mode was great, as was the turbo boost without being the Attack car

:karr: :kitt:
End of line program... -MCP-

KnightIndustriesTT
Rookie

Post by KnightIndustriesTT » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:54 pm

Yeah that was good stuff.

While ofcourse it was begging to be a 2-parter, I thought the battle was quite good for TV, even if it was fast we got a bunch of great classic physical KR moves like the ski mode and awesome turbo-boost finisher and the moves leading up to the grappling hook and effects wise we basically just got what amounts to atleast a TV movie in a single episode and all of the KARR kicking the crap out of KITT shots were great.

I would have liked to have had KARR driving around at least in car form earlier in the episode (perhaps by the half-way point) so that he would have had more screentime even in the cheapest cost-wise way possible (car mode since they'd obviously be using the same car as always).

I loved the episode for KARR (it was totally awesomely creepy seeing KARR in normal mustang mode with scanner visible in-between the curtains hearing Cullen for the first time) and for the plot, the main thing giving me a mixed opinion after coming down from the high of the episode, there was one thing missing no KITT <---> KARR dialogue, only KARR to Michael. Due to Michael now being with KITT they gave KARR a great reason to hate KITT but KITT and KARR never got to say anything to each other. Other than that it was a great start for KARR in the new series, as I assume they'll bring him back in the future (he's been blown up before afterall ;))
Last edited by KnightIndustriesTT on Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:02 pm, edited 6 times in total.

KRShelby
Rookie

Post by KRShelby » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:55 pm

goldbug wrote:I definitely wanted more KARR - of course, I would have been happy if the entire episode was just KITT and KARR beating the crap out of each other.

That said, I really enjoyed the reerences to the original series, of which there were quite a few. Wilton Knight's name being invoked, now we know what has happened to FLAG and Knight Industries - it's all in Sarah's name now. And the battle between KITT and KARR was great - for such a short battle. I emphasize that because personally, I think it should have gone at least five minutes longer.

I loved the use of KITT's more "standard abilities". If you think about it, KITT used only the original KITT's abilities to battle KARR: Ski mode, Grappling hook and Turbo boost. Using Turbo Boost to crash and burn KARR was the perfect way to go since that is how KARR was defeated in TOS. This was clearly a battle meant for the fanboys. Also, it was really nice to hear the original KARR's "whoosh" noise when we see his yellow scanner.

Thematically, I think the writers did this deliberately. KARR represents the overblown CGI fest that many viewers complained about, so having KITT get "back to basics" to defeat him was not only a fun dramatic device, but also a statement on how the series itself is gettin "back to basics".

I definitely hope we will see KARR return in the future. It wouldn't surprise me if in those bits and pieces are elements that can be used for his resurrection.

I was also happy to see the Graiman hologram. We actually now have the "plot device" they can use to bring back Bruce for cameos now and then. Also, I remember several years ago when Da Hoff was shopping around a feature KR film, he mentioned that he might "bring back" Edward Mulhare as a hologram. This seems very much in the spirit of that idea.

Could the ep have been better? Absolutely. However, I really enjoyed it.
Already replied earlier but have to do so again: I quite agree with the above post :mrgreen:

scorbing
Recruit

Post by scorbing » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:57 pm

Well I saw the episode and I liked KARR's new look but I was a bit dissapointed with the final battle between KITT and KARR. I expected a bit more than that. They could have done it better. We didn't see enough of KARR. I don't know but it wasn't what I expected, nevertheless the Visual Effects team did a great job.

Mathyus
Rookie

Post by Mathyus » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:57 pm

Yeah, I am glad that they did not go back to the pile of KARR parts to show some CPU stuff, or anything like that. Also, the holo of DR. G was a great touch to this episode.

Krypt13
Volunteer

Post by Krypt13 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:59 pm

My random thoughts during the ep:

The intro - Hell yeah! Bikinis & Booze!

Dude, I totally KNEW Mike was the driver for the KARR program in Iraq.

A data retrieval program disguised as a new video game beta tester - me likey.

"KAAAAAAAAR!" - Holy crap ... I wasn't expecting Torres to be so, erm, plugged into the situation.

FLAG, baby! FLAG!

"God Bless ... and carry on." Great closing line.

I noticed some are saying that the battle between KITT and KARR should have been longer ... which I understand on a basic level. Personally, I thought it was just right. It makes me smile though because so many critics of KR have been all "don't use so much cgi" and now it's "they didn't give us ENOUGH cgi" ... good times.

And I gotta say ... the fact that the ep used two of my all-time favorite songs, the tracks by Fluke and AC/DC, was awesome. Great use of music.

Mathyus
Rookie

Post by Mathyus » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:03 pm

YES I totaly forgot to talk about that. The music was great. AC/DC playing as Mike was taking tose guys was a fantastci touch!

Radioheaded
Volunteer

Post by Radioheaded » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:06 pm

Ist time poster here but long time lurker and TOS fan. This episode overall had the best acting, and writing of the series, which really has come along in the last few episodes. I was disappointed (as I'm sure many others will agree) about just how short KARR's air time was. What time they had interaction between KI3T and KARR was awesome, though all too brief. Perhaps that was purposefully crafted as just a teaser of future battles (if we get another season). Overall very good and I look forward the transition back to FLAG if they can continue with the better storylines , acting, ect. I Have to say that I enjoyed this episode the most of all so far. If it the series could have started this way we I think we would have been in much better shape from the start. Just m .1cnts

James

MikeLutton
Operative

Post by MikeLutton » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:09 pm

wonder if charles going stay just as a Hologram i think kitt karr fight schould of been longer since it was some heavy promoted wil we ever see karr again

bige
Rookie

Post by bige » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:15 pm

Atleast we know now that kitt can do tubro boost in his normal form. I like how the tubro boost defeated karr like it did in the orginial series. Did you notice like karr's weak spot was kind of around his scanner like it was in TOS? :kitt: :karr: