KARR...Back from the Bridge CPU, or New Creation?

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

What do you think this KARR is?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:01 am

A. KARR from '82, ala CPU retrieval and placed in a new exoskeleton/Mustang body
48%
B. A completely new enity, that happens to have a simular name to the '82 KARR
24%
C. A mix of both
28%
D. None of the Above
No votes

Total votes: 67

KnightINSTINCT
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: KARR...Back from the Bridge CPU, or New Creation?

Post by KnightINSTINCT » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:57 pm

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO original KARR is the new KARR!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! UNORIGINAL, BOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

I'll give up Knight Rider if that is the case..

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:08 pm

KnightINSTINCT wrote:BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO original KARR is the new KARR!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! UNORIGINAL, BOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

I'll give up Knight Rider if that is the case..
Why would it be boring for KARR's AI to be the same but improved version of the 80's AI? :?

De original K.I.T.T.
Stranger

Post by De original K.I.T.T. » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:51 pm

Well, since the original actor is lending his voice to this episode, It would only make sense that this new Transformer....er, I meant KARR, would be the one from the original series. If it isn't then the series just screwed up a potentially good idea and probably sealed their cancellation. I am a fan of the original series, and in my opinion, this new series totally sucks. If this new series continues to be crap and doesn't improve, then I hope it does get cancelled, the original series deserves much better. Here's some advice for the people behind the show....."If your not gonna do it right, then don't do it at all."

2K&3KKITT
Operative

Post by 2K&3KKITT » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:00 am

I don't know what to think about the new KARR. Whether it's the 82 version or a new version, I don't know. But I can't wait until tomarrow.
SAVE KNIGHT RIDER! Sign this petition! I was #205! One of the first!
http://www.gopetition.com/online/23816.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:kittspin:
Read my Stories!
http://kileandkasey.webs.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tony P Knight Driver
Operative

Post by Tony P Knight Driver » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:04 am

Well that video preview on NBC pretty much says it all.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
KARR "I take orders from my creator is Charles Graimen"!

NOT Wilton Knight..KARR didnt say anything about Wilton Knight, Micheal Knight or Knight Industries. Other than to say KITT was a threat to his existance and he wouldnt be shut down again.

This leads me conclude this version of KARR is not the same CPU from TOS, as I said before vauge refrences to the original series, this show is a reimagined storyline. The 2008 TV Movie was a direct continuation, this series is not. Kinda like Knight Rider in a parallel universe, things are the same only different.(SLIDERS)

Question in theory: If KARR was the prototype for the Knight Industries Three Thousand and he should have all of KITT capabilities (like TOS). KITT seems to now use a nano enhanced shell, in place of the MBS so does KARR have he same Nano technology?

Sarah said last week "KITT can withstand a missle hit" if KARR has that same ability, how do you destroy that thing?

I am not seeing this as a one episode deal, I think KARR might be around for a while and Micheal and KITT will be looking for him, or KARR will be looking for Mike and KITT. Either way should be a good beating for one of them.
Tony P.
The Knight Driver
Keep Knight Rider Rolling
One Person Can Make a Difference.
SUPPORT KNIGHT RIDER!
http://www.gopetition.com/online/23816.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike Knight
Rookie

Post by Mike Knight » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:05 am

At this point, I'm hoping that's just a continuity screw-up and it's still supposed to be the same KARR from TOS. Although he flat-out says in "TDR" that his creator was Wilton Knight. I wouldn't put it past this show to make a blunder like that.

If it ain't the same KARR, then, as I said before, the name was used for a bait-and-switch and the show loses my support. If you say it's a continuation, make it one. If not, don't claim it is. If it ain't the same character, don't use the same name, simple as that.

No doubt the episode will be great (compared to the pre-reboot eps), but really, I'm deeply disappointed if Tony is right and there's more conclusive proof that it ain't TOS KARR.

In an attempt to appease with fan service, it's entirely possible that they pulled through with the bait-and-switch so far as to get the same voice, but to play a different character. It's entirely within the show's makeup. But it's also in the show's makeup to screw up the continuity as such to replace Wilton with Charles as TOS KARR's creator. So it could STILL go either way.

I mean, they retconned Charles as KI2T's creator (assuming THAT part of the pilot is still in-continuity), so why not go ahead and retcon him as TOS KARR's maker as well? Might as well. Wilton as the idea man, and Graiman as the tech wizard who pulled off both vehicles. I'd buy it. If only they'd actually do it.
One man can make a difference....

89IROCNDoug
Operative

Post by 89IROCNDoug » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:51 am

Mike Knight wrote:At this point, I'm hoping that's just a continuity screw-up and it's still supposed to be the same KARR from TOS. Although he flat-out says in "TDR" that his creator was Wilton Knight. I wouldn't put it past this show to make a blunder like that.

If it ain't the same KARR, then, as I said before, the name was used for a bait-and-switch and the show loses my support. If you say it's a continuation, make it one. If not, don't claim it is. If it ain't the same character, don't use the same name, simple as that.

No doubt the episode will be great (compared to the pre-reboot eps), but really, I'm deeply disappointed if Tony is right and there's more conclusive proof that it ain't TOS KARR.

In an attempt to appease with fan service, it's entirely possible that they pulled through with the bait-and-switch so far as to get the same voice, but to play a different character. It's entirely within the show's makeup. But it's also in the show's makeup to screw up the continuity as such to replace Wilton with Charles as TOS KARR's creator. So it could STILL go either way.

I mean, they retconned Charles as KI2T's creator (assuming THAT part of the pilot is still in-continuity), so why not go ahead and retcon him as TOS KARR's maker as well? Might as well. Wilton as the idea man, and Graiman as the tech wizard who pulled off both vehicles. I'd buy it. If only they'd actually do it.
I totally agree, but I don't think they will make it clear as to whether this is TOS KARR or not. I think they will have to go out of their way to claim this is an entirely new KARR. Look at the facts: The KARR name, Peter Cullin's voice and the yellow scanner!!! That is a HUGE bait-and-switch if it's supposed to be a different character. Using the SAME elements as TOS KARR and then saying it is an entirely new creation would be totally wrong.
Tony P Knight Driver wrote:This leads me conclude this version of KARR is not the same CPU from TOS, as I said before vauge refrences to the original series, this show is a reimagined storyline. The 2008 TV Movie was a direct continuation, this series is not. Kinda like Knight Rider in a parallel universe, things are the same only different.(SLIDERS)
I appreciate your point of view, but I believe that they specifically called the series a continuation (I'd have to do research to be sure) and Mike mentioning his Dad's last name as being "Long" supports it as being a continuation. If it's not a continuation, they shouldn't of mentioned his Dad at all.
One man did make a difference.

Tony P Knight Driver
Operative

Post by Tony P Knight Driver » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:09 am

This series is not (in my opinion) a continuation.The 2008 movie most certainly was a continuation, but somehow between the movie and the series something changed.

Micheal did say "my fathers name was Micheal Long" what he didn't say My father drove the first KITT and changed his name to Micheal Knight.

Look at the facts:
No mention of the first KITT whatso ever in this series.
No mention of Wilton Knight.
No mention of FLAG beyond the reboot.
No mention of what happened to Mikes father.
Micheal Knight according to his employee database isnt a Jr.
This show makes vauge refrences to TOS like the devon and bonnie thing.

I have requested KRO ask GST exactly that question.

I hope I am wrong, I hope this a continuation of TOS, but if I am not who cares, its a great show all on its own. Watch for what it is and enjoy it. If KARR is the old KARR great, if not, hes a cool super robot great.
Lifes to short to stress on a TV show.
Tony P.
The Knight Driver
SUPPORT KNIGHT RIDER!

lunchmeat
FLAG Recruit

Post by lunchmeat » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:07 am

Tony P wrote:Life's too short to stress on a TV show.
I haven't heard truer words on this forum. I'm personally looking forward to tonight; these last few episodes have been a pretty good ride and I'm ready for more. If it is so godawful bad that I just can't stand it, I'll just watch some TOS episodes, right?

But it won't be that bad - I expect it to be quite good, actually. After seeing the behind-the-scenes footage from the 2D department (great job, guys, I am impressed and inspired) I'm pretty amped for this.
If I am destroyed... ...so shall you be. -KARR

taoworm2323
FLAG Assistant

Post by taoworm2323 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:25 am

Even if GST said the show is still a continuation, would you believe him?!
Remember when he told us the big ass spoiler wing on the back of attack mode KITT would turn down and be used as an air brake?
Still waiting for that one...
"Don't tell me what I can't do!" ---John Locke

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:11 am

I think it would be a great idea if they didn't tell the audience whether it is the original KARR or not. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if they DO never tell the audience.

It's better that way, it causes more controversy and the fans can speculate for ages like how we are doing now.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:28 am

I just watched the video posted by Sue and it seems they will tell the backstory of KARR after all. So we will all just have to wait and see.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wez
Operative

Post by wez » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:05 am

Skav wrote:I just watched the video posted by Sue and it seems they will tell the backstory of KARR after all. So we will all just have to wait and see.

on the show?

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:13 pm

wez wrote:
Skav wrote:I just watched the video posted by Sue and it seems they will tell the backstory of KARR after all. So we will all just have to wait and see.

on the show?
According to Sue's video yes on the show...

WIBoomer1
FLAG Recruit

Post by WIBoomer1 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:31 pm

Punk says:

Can any of you define CPU please? Because if you mean hardware any hardware from the 80's would be obsolete by today's standards. But if you mean the AI software that's another ballgame.

The CPU, for those of you who haven't seen the end of KITT vs. KARR, is shown during the ending scene of that episode. KARR is in peices, burning bits around, and the camera pans left until under the front nose there is a box that has a flashing light still running. It has been assumed thru the years that this is KARR's CPU. The question is is this really the CPU, and has this technology been used in the KARR we will see tonight.

t-Minus 4 hours 29 minutes and counting...

arhskr81
Rookie

Post by arhskr81 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:42 pm

Mike really said that his dads REAL name WAS Micheal Long, as far as K4RR I think it's a mix, maybe part of the old KARR is still there. In the vid that NBC showed K4RR says that KITT is an abanination (I think), if K4RR was shutdown before KI3T was made how could he know about him.

Korris
Volunteer

Post by Korris » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:40 pm

Tony P Knight Driver wrote:Look at the facts:
1) Jennifer: K.I.T.T.'s not another Trans Am, is it?
Charles Graiman: It's a Mustang.

2) Michael Knight: About 25 years ago, there was a man named Wilton Knight who on his deathbed told me "One man can make a difference." I was that man.

3) Towards the end of the Pilot, Charles tells Mike that he is resurrecting the Foundation.

4) Mike's father lived and attended the funeral of Mike Traceur's mother, who died in the pilot.

5) Because his real name is Mike Traucer, not Long. He took his mother's Maiden name, not his father's assumed or birth names.

Please, watch the pilot before you spout off that they have or have not done something. All of these questions were very blatantly offered up in the pilot. I do believe they even had pieces of a dismantled Knight Two Thousand in the pilot.

As for KARR's origins, we'll see what they've devised in the next couple of hours. Happy viewing, everyone.

Lexicon
Operative

Post by Lexicon » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:26 pm

Korris wrote:

2) Michael Knight: About 25 years ago, there was a man named Wilton Knight who on his deathbed told me "One man can make a difference." I was that man.

3) Towards the end of the Pilot, Charles tells Mike that he is resurrecting the Foundation.

4) Mike's father lived and attended the funeral of Mike Traceur's mother, who died in the pilot.

5) Because his real name is Mike Traucer, not Long. He took his mother's Maiden name, not his father's assumed or birth names.

Please, watch the pilot before you spout off that they have or have not done something. All of these questions were very blatantly offered up in the pilot. I do believe they even had pieces of a dismantled Knight Two Thousand in the pilot.

As for KARR's origins, we'll see what they've devised in the next couple of hours. Happy viewing, everyone.
Before you go making a ruckus, you would do well to remember that the "pilot" is not in the same canon as the TV show because the telefilm was done to serve as a lead-in for what would have been a very similar but ultimately different show. GST and NBC decided to go in a different direction with the TV-series while using the telefilm elements as a basis for the show but they have turned back towards the path that the show would have taken if the telefilm had been used as it was originally intended. Even so, the two do not co-exist together to form a cohesive storyline.

WIBoomer1
FLAG Recruit

Post by WIBoomer1 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:32 pm

This will all be decided in 1 hour and 30 minutes...

If this KARR is different, without any CPU from the 82 KARR, then it basically says that the old series never existed. Chicken and Egg effect.

BTW, My money is on that it's a new creation, to fit within this new series. No trace of the old CPU. Hope I'm wrong.

knighthazzard
Recruit

Post by knighthazzard » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:35 pm

In the true words of Michael Knight "KARR is back and he s meaner than ever". I really hope that KARR is the original AI in a new body. Something indicates to me that there are ingredients that the producers are mixing into this storyline to please fans of TOS as already hinted by Masterkey studios (I may be wrong- hope Im not)

Thinking back to an interesting concept. In TOS people always refered to The Knight 2000 as "Wilton Knights Miracle car". This could have meant that Wilton somehow bankrolled the project with the team of scientists in place (We can be 100% certain of this fact)

However, If I remember rightly in Trust Doesnt Rust Bonnie Turns to Michael and states "Dont look at me that was before my time" I took this as an indication that Bonnie was involved in the creation of KI2T and not KARRs creation. Maybe this will mean that Graiman had involvement in the creation of KARRS AI (a detail that was never explained in great detail in the original show for obvious reasons)- as Graiman did not exist in the original series cannon.

The only reference made in TOS were "Wilton Knight turned his back on me". Therefore this would make the audience assume that Graiman could have created The Knight Industries 2000 (the car) and Knight Industries 3000 (car plus AI) seen as he has already made the statement in Episode 10 "because I created him" (Charles in reference to KI3T)

Will be interested to see what is finally revealed in this episode :kitt2: :kittside:
Last edited by knighthazzard on Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tony P Knight Driver
Operative

Post by Tony P Knight Driver » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:39 pm

Lexicon wrote:Before you go making a ruckus, you would do well to remember that the "pilot" is not in the same canon as the TV show because the telefilm was done to serve as a lead-in for what would have been a very similar but ultimately different show. GST and NBC decided to go in a different direction with the TV-series while using the telefilm elements as a basis for the show but they have turned back towards the path that the show would have taken if the telefilm had been used as it was originally intended. Even so, the two do not co-exist together to form a cohesive storyline.

Lexico, that is probably the best anaology for what I have been trying to say. Thank You
Tony P.
The Knight Driver
SUPPORT KNIGHT RIDER!

knighthazzard
Recruit

Post by knighthazzard » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:50 pm

That is a great summary; the producers taking elements from the original and making it a new concept to appeal to a new generation of viewers. Lets hope Episode 12 will have elements in there to please all audiences.

We have some pretty passionate views in this forum. I wonder if a gathering convention were arranged to discuss views whether it would quickly turn into the bar scene in "The Rotten Apples"! :D

Korris
Volunteer

Post by Korris » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:22 pm

Lexicon wrote:
Korris wrote:

Before you go making a ruckus, you would do well to remember that the "pilot" is not in the same canon as the TV show because the telefilm was done to serve as a lead-in for what would have been a very similar but ultimately different show. GST and NBC decided to go in a different direction with the TV-series while using the telefilm elements as a basis for the show but they have turned back towards the path that the show would have taken if the telefilm had been used as it was originally intended. Even so, the two do not co-exist together to form a cohesive storyline.

Where was this stated? In either text or video? I'd love to read or view it.

WIBoomer1
FLAG Recruit

Post by WIBoomer1 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:59 pm

::doing money dance...

sorry gang, but it's a new character. No 82 KARR.

Korris
Volunteer

Post by Korris » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:16 pm

Damn good episode, though.