The Character no one cared about...

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Shredder565
Recruit

The Character no one cared about...

Post by Shredder565 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:36 pm

Am I the only one who doesn't care about Carrie (sp?)?

In the original pilot, she was introduced as a Lesbian...and the first thing that sprang to my mind was, 'Instant addition to the cast to attract a certain demographic, or to be PC...' They lost me with her after that as the whole notion just seemed stupid. When that building exploded, there was no drama in it at all.

Same goes for that FBI agent partner of hers.

I'm going to be really ticked if the only one they do kill off is Dr.Graimen...

Just curious if anyone else feels the same way?

GT500KR
FLAG Recruit

Re: The Character no one cared about...

Post by GT500KR » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:40 pm

thought she was pointless. Tho I hate Torres but he is the bad guy within the company, so he is kinda growing on me, but glad KARR is coming
"My wife asks me, why you do those burnouts? Well.....you do it for the kids, you know, Im not being immature. You just.....well you do it for the kids."
~Jay Leno

Faithful Car KRO
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Faithful Car KRO » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:40 pm

Shredder565 wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't care about Carrie (sp?)?

In the original pilot, she was introduced as a Lesbian...and the first thing that sprang to my mind was, 'Instant addition to the cast to attract a certain demographic, or to be PC...' They lost me with her after that as the whole notion just seemed stupid. When that building exploded, there was no drama in it at all.

Same goes for that FBI agent partner of hers.

I'm going to be really ticked if the only one they do kill off is Dr.Graimen...

Just curious if anyone else feels the same way?
Umm....Nope.
"Michael, I agree with your earlier assessment, back-up plans suck."- KI3T
Put the word out!
WATCH THE SHOW!!!: Wed at 8:00pm on NBC.
Its getting better and gaining ratings, AWESOME!!

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:19 pm

I could care less about the Torres, Carrie, Zoe, Billy. The only characters that are needed are Mike, Sarah, and Charles. This show would've been perfect with Charles assuming the Devon role Sarah assuming the Bonnie role and the show focused on Mike and KITT's adventures in the field.

BlackKitt
Rookie

Post by BlackKitt » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:28 am

I don't give a damn about Carrie, glad she's gone. I'm glad Torres is out on his ass too.

wez
Operative

Post by wez » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:53 am

BlackKitt wrote:I don't give a damn about Carrie, glad she's gone. I'm glad Torres is out on his ass too.
agreed

trissybabes
FLAG Recruit

Post by trissybabes » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:59 am

While watching last week's episode, my wife commented that Carrie completely reminded her of Sigourney Weaver's character Gwen DeMarco / Lieutenant Tawny Madison in "Galaxy Quest" - whose only role in the whole thing was to repeat what the computer/everyone else said.

I was rather wishing she stayed in it after that - for novelty value...

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:02 am

Carrie wasn't that strong a character, IMHO. I never did really see much in that character for the show. I did like Torres though and am not happy he's leaving. But his being there and involvement with KARR remind me of Glyph's Fire and Ice fanfic series about the Original KITT and KARR (KARR has a driver named Nick which reminds me of Torres). So it kinda fits if anyone ever had the chance to read the fics.

I would have liked Graiman to stay too as a "Devon" of the group. I like Zoe and Billy though as they bring some comic relief to the show. I wonder how they will fit in the reboot.

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:22 pm

trissybabes wrote:While watching last week's episode, my wife commented that Carrie completely reminded her of Sigourney Weaver's character Gwen DeMarco / Lieutenant Tawny Madison in "Galaxy Quest" - whose only role in the whole thing was to repeat what the computer/everyone else said.

I was rather wishing she stayed in it after that - for novelty value...
LOL! And yes I too would have preffered for her to stay...

lunchmeat
FLAG Recruit

Post by lunchmeat » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:58 pm

Honestly, I liked her. The lesbian thing didn't bother me at all - it was never actually part of the character. It's just something that didn't matter, and I'm surprised that it turned off so many viewers. If they'd shown the same scene in the pilot but with a guy in bed, nobody would've cared....so I'm lost. I don't understand people's reactions to this.

I liked her character in the pilot - she didn't do much, but she had a purpose as a government agent. In the series, though, she really didn't have much to do. She's gone now, but I'd like to see her come back as a villain character - for all she knows, her team at the SSC left her to die in the exploded warehouse. (Check the events of the storyline - Carrie wouldn't know about the 100mph thing, or why Mike left, leading her to think that she was abandoned.) Ultimately, it's up to the network, the producers, and the actress herself to see where this goes, if anywhere.

I think, honestly, the explosion didn't have much effect on me because we all knew it was coming - it was talked about here for a long time, so all we had to do was wait for the moment.
If I am destroyed... ...so shall you be. -KARR

Shredder565
Recruit

Post by Shredder565 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:26 pm

lunch meat:

It's the same reason that all the T and A scenes in the new show bother me. Knight Rider is supposed to be family friendly and a fun action adventure ride.

As far as the introduction of carrie goes, it came off to me as prime executive thinking to.....

Either trying to introduce a new audience to Knight Rider (executive 1 : "I know, lets make the female cop a lesbian...that'll really increase viewership in that demographic and show that this series has evolved and can fit into todays TV market")

Or they just got a writer who didn't know a thing about the history of Knight Rider and threw it in because it seemed 'cool'....

lunchmeat
FLAG Recruit

Post by lunchmeat » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:22 am

The oroginal Knight Rider had a lot of women in it, and a lot of references to stuff - that's all this was, for me. The pilot was friendly and fun enough for me.
Either trying to introduce a new audience to Knight Rider (executive 1 : "I know, lets make the female cop a lesbian...that'll really increase viewership in that demographic and show that this series has evolved and can fit into todays TV market")
As for NBC...yes, they know that the addition of attractive actors and actresses in a TV show will up the ratings, so I don't have a problem with that. As for making her a lesbian....it didn't impact the story at all; it was one scene, meant to establish the strength and confidence of the character (she leaves the girl in her bed, telling her to lock everything up when she leaves; the girl questions Rivai's open trust of a stranger and Rivai dismisses it while holstering her gun). To me, it was a characterization point - they could have done the same thing with a guy and it would've come across the same way. That scene established, to me, that Rivai is not someone you mess with. So really, my point is....why not the make the cop a lesbian? It doesn't matter either way.
Or they just got a writer who didn't know a thing about the history of Knight Rider and threw it in because it seemed 'cool'....[/quote.]

I don't understand. What does lesbianism, or the lack thereof, have anything to do with the history of Knight Rider?

Knight2000
FLAG Recruit

Post by Knight2000 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:56 am

Mr.Marcus wrote:I could care less about the Torres, Carrie, Zoe, Billy. The only characters that are needed are Mike, Sarah, and Charles. This show would've been perfect with Charles assuming the Devon role Sarah assuming the Bonnie role and the show focused on Mike and KITT's adventures in the field.
+1 :good:

Shredder565 wrote:lunch meat:
It's the same reason that all the T and A scenes in the new show bother me. Knight Rider is supposed to be family friendly and a fun action adventure ride.
Agreed - I'd be embarassed to watch some of these eps with my family/friends just because of the unjustified reason for all the T&A. Then again, there were some moments in TOS that had me cringe!

WIBoomer1
FLAG Recruit

Post by WIBoomer1 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:10 am

Carrie seems to me to be like Tasha Yar from ST:TNG. No Character development, a little more than a 2-d person to add so filler for the main characters. No offense to TSP, but why were there 2 agents in the SSC in the first place.

As for the T&A aspect of the show, I would like to think that my childhood didn't have such blatant sexual references. When Michael said that he was with such and such different girl week after week, I never put 2 and 2 together, simply because of the formula of the show was episodic. There was always someone new plotwise, so I didn't think Michael Knight was a one-knight stander. He just did stuff with the women after the mission was done.

In today's internet - google - knowledge state of things, kids know so much more sooner than they ever did. The lesbian thing was a gimmick to get people to watch, if Carrie ever had a relationship/cover date with another woman. Sort of like what's going on with Callie Torres on Grey's...

BTW, they did reveal that KITT was the 5th cylon last night on BSG... :twisted:

t.b.77b
Operative

Post by t.b.77b » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:48 pm

IMO I would have liked for them to have not killed of Charles, I like Billy & Zoe, and could care less about Carrie & Torres. To the sexuality part of things I think it was a strategy move for NBC and was never referenced in the series because it had no impact on it.
Save the series! Save the world!
Tell you friends to tune in Wednesdays at 8 p.m.

BlackKitt
Rookie

Post by BlackKitt » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:20 pm

Stop comparing carrie with other characters, jesus friggin christ. She has nothing in common with any other character plain and simple. As for the lesbian thing, that was totally unnecessary and NBC knew damn well what the reaction would be yet let it stay in anyway. I do not need pc bs thrown in my face like that, I'm glad GST and NBC got the hint and discarded any plans to explore that. Sigourney Weaver's character in Galaxy Quest was for "eye candy" only, note the obvious cleavage she had displayed.

Glissard
Recruit

Post by Glissard » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:15 am

GET RID OF SARAH! I've said this before. We're suppose to believe that she's a rocket scientist, but she's too busy delivering passive aggressive quotes to cover up her own insecurities. Her attitude get's pretty old. She's baggage on the other end of the webcam for Mike. Kill her off a la Stevie style like Michael Knight Sr.'s true love. She brings nothing to the show. Does anyone agree with me on this?

TwilightPro101
Recruit

Post by TwilightPro101 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:17 am

Mr.Marcus wrote:I could care less about the Torres, Carrie, Zoe, Billy. The only characters that are needed are Mike, Sarah, and Charles. This show would've been perfect with Charles assuming the Devon role Sarah assuming the Bonnie role and the show focused on Mike and KITT's adventures in the field.
Feel the same.

KnightINSTINCT
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightINSTINCT » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:26 am

Shredder565 wrote:lunch meat:

As far as the introduction of carrie goes, it came off to me as prime executive thinking to.....

Or they just got a writer who didn't know a thing about the history of Knight Rider and threw it in because it seemed 'cool'....

You probably hated Will and Grace too, biased donkey.

KnightINSTINCT
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightINSTINCT » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:29 am

Glissard wrote:GET RID OF SARAH! I've said this before. We're suppose to believe that she's a rocket scientist, but she's too busy delivering passive aggressive quotes to cover up her own insecurities. Her attitude get's pretty old. She's baggage on the other end of the webcam for Mike. Kill her off a la Stevie style like Michael Knight Sr.'s true love. She brings nothing to the show. Does anyone agree with me on this?

She's like a mix of Kelly Bundy and Charles Graimen. haha.....I just thought up a good idea for a Youtube video. Like whenever Kelly from MWC came on scene, the audience roared. Somebody who has editing software should gag up a video montage. :mrgreen:

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:11 am

I have no idea why would anyone want to remove Sarah it makes no sense whatsoever to me!

David
Rookie

Post by David » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:16 pm

Personally, I have a bigger problem with the phrases "brofus" and "douche nozzle" actually being allowed anywhere near a Knight Rider script than the sexual orientation of the characters on the show (or indeed the sexual orientation of folks 'period').

MK could be written as gay for all I care - might be a more interesting show that way, perhaps with some sort of unrequited thing going on between him and Sarah who's had a crush on him for years. I'm sure JB's gay following would be all for that being a feature of the re-boot.

However, I draw the line at him flirting with KITT. Some things should remain in fan fiction land...

Lynda414
FLAG Assistant

Post by Lynda414 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:29 pm

David wrote:However, I draw the line at him flirting with KITT. Some things should remain in fan fiction land...
Good thing that Jack Barrowman isn't playing Mike Knight then...

lunchmeat
FLAG Recruit

Post by lunchmeat » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:14 pm

David wrote:Personally, I have a bigger problem with the phrases "brofus" and "douche nozzle" actually being allowed anywhere near a Knight Rider script than the sexual orientation of the characters on the show (or indeed the sexual orientation of folks 'period').
I'm with you there. Sexual orientation on this show really isn't a problem - it never had any effect on any of the storylines. People don't seem to be comfortable with it, but it was only shown in the pilot and never referenced outside of that.

And yes, "douche nozzle" really seemed out of place in that scene. I mean, I use the word "douche" sometimes when I'm describing someone, and it worked for the "monotone guy" line, but "douche nozzle", coming from Sarah? I'd expect more from her. That phrase would be more suited to Zoey. I hope that the writers come up with better insults/adjectives that not only describe the reference character, but the character saying the line, y'know? If there was one immature moment in that episode, it was probably that.

WIBoomer1
FLAG Recruit

Post by WIBoomer1 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:56 pm

Glissard wrote:GET RID OF SARAH! I've said this before. We're suppose to believe that she's a rocket scientist, but she's too busy delivering passive aggressive quotes to cover up her own insecurities. Her attitude get's pretty old. She's baggage on the other end of the webcam for Mike. Kill her off a la Stevie style like Michael Knight Sr.'s true love. She brings nothing to the show. Does anyone agree with me on this?
No