NBC using KR slogan for another show

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

knightny
Rookie

NBC using KR slogan for another show

Post by knightny » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:50 am

Just saw a commercial for a new show on NBC called "Kings". One of the taglines?....

"One Man Can Make A Difference"

It was the kind of commercial where you can tell they are going to advertise the crap out of this show. Wonderful. Another good job NBC. You dont promote KR enough and then you decide to use a famous KR quote for another one of your failed shows.

:good:

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: NBC using KR slogan for another show

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:17 am

Wow, really?? How f'd up is that? I think that shows exactly how NBC feels about KR....
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

ronni3
Operative

Post by ronni3 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:19 pm

this really is effed up....im sorry but i think NBC is really loosing it.....stupid ba$#@$ds
"If I may attempt a colloquialism of my own, Thanks Brosef" K.I.T.T

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:27 pm

Actually I was half expecting the villian in episode 11 to say that, "they send one man?"........ personally I thought he would go on to say "One man, they think one man could make a diffence?" as a nod to Wiltons immortal words.

Alas, this was'nt the case, using it on another show is just an insult to the classic series. :(

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:27 pm

Nothing wrong with that. Its their property they can do with it as they wish. It would be different if another network owned the property and NBC stole the tagline from them but that's not the case here.

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:38 pm

Mr.Marcus wrote:Nothing wrong with that. Its their property they can do with it as they wish. It would be different if another network owned the property and NBC stole the tagline from them but that's not the case here.
You're right about it being their property but seriously it was one of the iconic lines from the orginal show, surely if they are gonna use it, it should be on Knight Rider?

knightny
Rookie

Post by knightny » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:14 pm

weeezl wrote:Actually I was half expecting the villian in episode 11 to say that, "they send one man?"........ personally I thought he would go on to say "One man, they think one man could make a diffence?" as a nod to Wiltons immortal words.

Alas, this was'nt the case, using it on another show is just an insult to the classic series. :(
After the villain said that, I would have liked to have seen Mike say, "Aside from what you might think, one man CAN make a difference.......but sometimes that man needs a little help" And without saying another word, Sarah grabs the detenator the same moment Mike shoots him. But thats just me :)

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:20 pm

knightny wrote:
weeezl wrote:Actually I was half expecting the villian in episode 11 to say that, "they send one man?"........ personally I thought he would go on to say "One man, they think one man could make a diffence?" as a nod to Wiltons immortal words.

After the villain said that, I would have liked to have seen Mike say, "Aside from what you might think, one man CAN make a difference.......but sometimes that man needs a little help" And without saying another word, Sarah grabs the detenator the same moment Mike shoots him. But thats just me :)

Nice twist!

Actually I really like that idea, its a nice update! :good:

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:27 pm

weeezl wrote:
Mr.Marcus wrote:Nothing wrong with that. Its their property they can do with it as they wish. It would be different if another network owned the property and NBC stole the tagline from them but that's not the case here.
You're right about it being their property but seriously it was one of the iconic lines from the orginal show, surely if they are gonna use it, it should be on Knight Rider?
Its a pretty cliched line to begin with and sounds like something that was in existence well before Larson wrote it in the script for Knight of the Phoenix.

knightny
Rookie

Post by knightny » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:38 pm

Here is the video:

http://www.nbc.com/Kings/video/clips/on ... ct/929501/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It says "One Man, One Brave Act, Can Change Everything". But the version I say yesterday said, "One Man Can Make A Difference". Yes, I am quite sure Larson did not invent that quote, but when NBC barely advertises KR yet uses a famous quote from it for some new shwo of theirs, it will make the KR fan upset.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:58 pm

Mr.Marcus wrote:
weeezl wrote:
Its a pretty cliched line to begin with and sounds like something that was in existence well before Larson wrote it in the script for Knight of the Phoenix.
I agree that the line in and of itself is a cliché, but it is also more of the theme of the original show, not its slogan.

And I have to strongly disagree with the notion that NBC doesn't care about Knight Rider. What's this logic going by? The lack of commercials? If NBC didn't care about the show it would've been axed after 3 or 4 episodes like My Own Worst Enemy. If anything I think it's quite the opposite. The show has relatively low ratings and is being crucified in nearly every media outlet imaginable and even here on these boards. Yet rather than cancel the show and hope people forget about it quickly, NBC is investing the time and money and attention into retooling the show and bringing it back to its roots. So if they use a tagline that happens to be a cliché and the theme of another one of their shows, I wouldn't bug out about it too much.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:14 pm

Lost Knight wrote:I agree that the line in and of itself is a cliché, but it is also more of the theme of the original show, not its slogan.
I agree with that statement and whilst it may seem a cliché it was also a powerful line and one many regard as the underlying theme of the original series.

In no way was I "bugged out" about it appearing elsewhere just disappointed that that NBC have decided to take the show back to it original concept in direction and missed an opportunity to hit home with the TOS fans by omitting such an influential line.

Mango19
Rookie

Post by Mango19 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:25 pm

weeezl wrote:
Lost Knight wrote:I agree that the line in and of itself is a cliché, but it is also more of the theme of the original show, not its slogan.
I agree with that statement and whilst it may seem a cliché it was also a powerful line and one many regard as the underlying theme of the original series.

In no way was I "bugged out" about it appearing elsewhere just disappointed that that NBC have decided to take the show back to it original concept in direction and missed an opportunity to hit home with the TOS fans by omitting such an influential line.
Yeah, but then you missed the part when the star of "Kings" folds up into a truck...

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:11 pm

weeezl wrote:In no way was I "bugged out" about it appearing elsewhere just disappointed that that NBC have decided to take the show back to it original concept in direction and missed an opportunity to hit home with the TOS fans by omitting such an influential line.
Hope you didn't take that personally, weeezl. I just mean that there's bigger problems to worry about with the series and NBC than that. I see your point that it would have been a good promotional tool for the show but if NBC isn't going to push it much in commercials as it is, I guess they decided it would be good elsewhere.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:29 am

Lost Knight wrote:
weeezl wrote:In no way was I "bugged out" about it appearing elsewhere just disappointed that that NBC have decided to take the show back to it original concept in direction and missed an opportunity to hit home with the TOS fans by omitting such an influential line.
Hope you didn't take that personally, weeezl. I just mean that there's bigger problems to worry about with the series and NBC than that. I see your point that it would have been a good promotional tool for the show but if NBC isn't going to push it much in commercials as it is, I guess they decided it would be good elsewhere.
Nah, I didnt take it personal at all, I just felt a little deflated after hearing it was used on another show. :good:

t.b.77b
Operative

Post by t.b.77b » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:36 pm

Guy's I think this is being blown out of proportion. This commercial never says "One Man Can Make A Difference," it says something close to that but never that. Many show's commercials have said that in the past and IMO many people aren't liking this one because of KR's hard times.

I hope that no one take's this personally but that is what I think.
Save the series! Save the world!
Tell you friends to tune in Wednesdays at 8 p.m.