Battle damaged KITTs?

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Battle damaged KITTs?

Post by Sue » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:37 am

There were some cars that looked a lot like KITT on the Santa Clarita Studio lot.
Speculate away :mrgreen:
DSC_1322.jpg
DSC_1322.jpg (66.75 KiB) Viewed 23076 times
DSC_1323.jpg
DSC_1323.jpg (248.42 KiB) Viewed 23067 times
DSC_1262.jpg
DSC_1262.jpg (60.3 KiB) Viewed 23032 times
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

GT500KR
FLAG Recruit

Re: Battle damaged KITTs?

Post by GT500KR » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:41 am

:? :cry:
"My wife asks me, why you do those burnouts? Well.....you do it for the kids, you know, Im not being immature. You just.....well you do it for the kids."
~Jay Leno

My_Friend_KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by My_Friend_KITT » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:30 am

Whoever said that KR was all CG stunts should check this out....Wow! Poor Cars :!:
That is a computer not a sofa.......Knight of the Drones

A firsthand viewer of Knight Rider '08!
And I LOVED it!

Kaine
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kaine » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:38 am

the first two pictures are definately a ford mustang GT, at least this car has the stock rims and no voice orb on the dashboard. the third picture shows a a GT500KR which seems to be undamaged except for some scratches, and it's missing the grill.
let's hope the cars were damaged for filming purposes and don't just look like that because the show was cancelled and the cars won't be used any more :(

triran
Rookie

Post by triran » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:04 am

Ouch! that would hurt - such a beautiful car too.

Lynda414
FLAG Assistant

Post by Lynda414 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:14 am

Kaine wrote:the first two pictures are definately a ford mustang GT, at least this car has the stock rims and no voice orb on the dashboard. the third picture shows a a GT500KR which seems to be undamaged except for some scratches, and it's missing the grill.
let's hope the cars were damaged for filming purposes and don't just look like that because the show was cancelled and the cars won't be used any more :(
I don't think they would wreck the cars just because the show was cancelled, unless someone got REALLY upset...

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

A result of this maybe?

Post by weeezl » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:30 am

Are these a result of..........

This.......

Hmmmmm.......... :?:

spooky
Recruit

Post by spooky » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:36 am

the 1st 2 pics are the GT's from the Pilot episode i belive. they were doing some stunt on a canyon road that involved KITT bumping sides with another vehicle. stunt driver lost control and hit a tree. they had several of those stunt cars there that had the Bullitt wheels when i was there.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:45 am

I hate it when cars are damaged. :cry: But yeah, it looks like they are made that way. I hear the filming is done for the first season so they probably were what was used in the KARR scenes as shown above.

KITT's going to take a beating but keep on ticking. This is looking to be like a "Goliath" episode only instead of Goliath, it'll be KARR!

nee716
Operative

Post by nee716 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:49 am

I would be happy to take one of them and keep it. I dont care if the chassis is bent! :-D

BlueChaos
FLAG Recruit

Post by BlueChaos » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:00 pm

I guess this answered my question about will we ever see KITT being dented... kinda.

Hopefully it will be an episode like Junkyard Dog, where KITT gets destroyed, Mike gets all emotional about losing KITT and then Sarah, Billy and Zoe rebuilt KITT back with better equipment (new dash please?).
"If Darth Vader had a KITT bathroom, then he would have ruled the galaxy far far away since a long long time ago..." *LASER!* :good:

ronni3
Operative

Re: A result of this maybe?

Post by ronni3 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:25 pm

weeezl wrote:Are these a result of..........

This.......

could very well be the result of tht....lets hope kitt gets kicked around in round 1 and then kicks KARR in round 2
"If I may attempt a colloquialism of my own, Thanks Brosef" K.I.T.T

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:10 pm

ronni3 wrote:

This.......

could very well be the result of tht....lets hope kitt gets kicked around in round 1 and then kicks KARR in round 2

KARR is completely CGI in 'robot' mode, why would they need to physically damage one of the 'kitt' cars???

KRShelby
Rookie

Post by KRShelby » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:20 pm

^ Well, that would be only if they wanted to have a "real" shot of damaged kitt? that would be my only guess.

B.R.O
Recruit

Post by B.R.O » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:59 pm

Think the third picture of the stunt car for the actual show has most likeley just takien a bit of damage while doing a turbo boost jump (yes, I know the're CGI but the landing is filmed). I'd say what happened was that the shock when the car hit the ground knocked off the front grill, think I recall that somewhere they said that the landing after "jumping over the prison fence" in episode 10 cracked the front bumper.

I mean damage like this to stunt cars shouldn't come as a surprize as these days cars are built in a significantly flimsier way so that in a collision the car absorbes the damage instead of transfering it over to the driver, like the F body Trans AM and Firebirds used in the original show. This is also why they can't do real turbo boost jumps and punching trough (non paper) walls as the car would take a lot of damage as punching trough walls would destroy bumpers and trubo boost jumps would pretty much destroy the whole car (from destroying the exterior decorations like the body kitt as to bending the whole frame of the car due to the low ground clearence). If you go back and look at the shape of the original KI2T it's almost perfect for stunts with it's realtivly easily adjustable ground clearence and wedge shaped front end.

I think I strayed off topic a bit too much, but to sumarize the part that wasn't off topic: The third picture is most likley the stunt car that got damaged while filming episode 10 when doing a short jump.

ronni3
Operative

Post by ronni3 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:16 pm

B.R.O it isnt...cse the prison fence jump was made by the attack KI3T....and in the knight writers blog tht was fixed....so no...
"If I may attempt a colloquialism of my own, Thanks Brosef" K.I.T.T

DavidKnight
Rookie

Re: A result of this maybe?

Post by DavidKnight » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:59 pm

PICS

Look at the rims of the damaged Mustang. They're not the same with KITT's wheels.
Moreover, there is no orb in that Mustang.

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:37 pm

DavidKnight wrote: Look at the rims of the damaged Mustang. They're not the same with KITT's wheels.
Moreover, there is no orb in that Mustang.
Yes, I saw that too, I was'nt stating the damage was caused by Karr as fact, just speculating it could be a possibility, due to seeing Karr "whack" Kitt and the position of the damaged area in the photo, I came to that conclusion.
Sue wrote:There were some cars that looked a lot like KITT on the Santa Clarita Studio lot.
Speculate away :mrgreen:
Hence my post, also I was remembering reading somewhere that the producers were aiming for more realism and were planning more practical shots over CGI. :good:

GT500KR
FLAG Recruit

Post by GT500KR » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:41 pm

depending on the shot, they dont have to change the GT rims, if its just a body shot whats the point of putting KITT rims on.
"My wife asks me, why you do those burnouts? Well.....you do it for the kids, you know, Im not being immature. You just.....well you do it for the kids."
~Jay Leno

LisaRosa
Recruit

Post by LisaRosa » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:53 am

FuzzieDice wrote:I hate it when cars are damaged. :cry: But yeah, it looks like they are made that way. I hear the filming is done for the first season so they probably were what was used in the KARR scenes as shown above.

KITT's going to take a beating but keep on ticking. This is looking to be like a "Goliath" episode only instead of Goliath, it'll be KARR!
Oh man, I hate to see any nice car wrecked, especially a mustang. I feel your pain, FuzzieDice! But... seeing those pictures has me even more excited about seeing the next episode! :mrgreen:
Lisa :kittside:

B.R.O
Recruit

Post by B.R.O » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:48 pm

ronni3 wrote:B.R.O it isnt...cse the prison fence jump was made by the attack KI3T....and in the knight writers blog tht was fixed....so no...
Might not have been that specific stunt car but I still think that's caused by a failed turbo boost jump and the flimsy way cars are built these days (yes, I know that it is to absorb the shock instead of having the driver feeling it)...

ElectricPhantom
Rookie

Post by ElectricPhantom » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:36 pm

As far as the damage per KARR goes--

It's still nice to speculate as the damage is in the same spot KARR thrashed him. ;]

gotigers1
Rookie

Post by gotigers1 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:44 pm

Wheels are interchangeable. Those rims could have been pulled off and the KR rims put on for filming?

bige
Rookie

Post by bige » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:59 pm

I have the first seaon of knight rider on DVD and there is comentary on one episode and and they mentioned when they did tubro boosts with the orginal kitt, they said the landing were the hardest on the car , breaking the suppension and damageing the front of the car, so they did this was made the front end of trans am out of rubber, so when the car landed the just would remold the rubber and the car was fixed

Rainack
FLAG Recruit

Post by Rainack » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:31 pm

B.R.O wrote:Think the third picture of the stunt car for the actual show has most likeley just takien a bit of damage while doing a turbo boost jump (yes, I know the're CGI but the landing is filmed). I'd say what happened was that the shock when the car hit the ground knocked off the front grill, think I recall that somewhere they said that the landing after "jumping over the prison fence" in episode 10 cracked the front bumper.

I mean damage like this to stunt cars shouldn't come as a surprize as these days cars are built in a significantly flimsier way so that in a collision the car absorbes the damage instead of transfering it over to the driver, like the F body Trans AM and Firebirds used in the original show. This is also why they can't do real turbo boost jumps and punching trough (non paper) walls as the car would take a lot of damage as punching trough walls would destroy bumpers and trubo boost jumps would pretty much destroy the whole car (from destroying the exterior decorations like the body kitt as to bending the whole frame of the car due to the low ground clearence). If you go back and look at the shape of the original KI2T it's almost perfect for stunts with it's realtivly easily adjustable ground clearence and wedge shaped front end.

I think I strayed off topic a bit too much, but to sumarize the part that wasn't off topic: The third picture is most likley the stunt car that got damaged while filming episode 10 when doing a short jump.
It really doesn't surprise me that they are trying to make CGI work for the turbo boosts. Jumping cars like that destroys the front ends! The Duke's of Hazard crew (tv show, don't know about the movie) went threw a BUNCH of Dodge Chargers for that show because of all of the jumps they did.
To read my fanfictions, go to fanfiction.net and search for my screen name, Rainack.