K.I.T.T. Dashboard/Voice Modulator Blunders

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

K.I.T.T. Dashboard/Voice Modulator Blunders

Post by Lost Knight » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:21 am

Throughout the series, there are some scenes that show K.I.T.T.'s dashboard having incomplete designs, or other things that were clearly not meant to be seen. Here are some screen captures of all the weird things I've caught so far:

From the Season 1 opening credit sequence:

From "Deadly Maneuvers" (note the same missing Knight logo on the steering wheel, weird voice modulator, and no text on the switch pod buttons [appears to be the same version of the dashboard in the credit sequence]):

And a close-up:

This shot is from "Just My Bill," where the voice modulator's button colors are mixed up for the entire episode:

Note the missing switch pods & attached steering wheel console in "The Final Verdict." Also, check out the gaping hole on the side of the driver's seat:

Check out the cash register buttons in K.I.T.T.'s arm rest console from "Mouth Of the Snake":

I don't know what Michael was supposed to be reading off this piece of paper in "Return To Cadiz":

Check out K.I.T.T.'s dashboard in the Convertible Mode vehicle they used for filming in "Knight Of the Juggernaut." It looks like the entire thing is nothing but decals!:

If anyone here has any more interesting dashboard blunders, please post them here. If you can't make the screen captures, let me know the episode and I will post it. :D
Last edited by Lost Knight on Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Re: K.I.T.T. Dashboard/Voice Modulator Blunders

Post by JJSoCrazy » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:25 am

I hated when they did that, they could of been more consecutive in making it look "more real" in each shot.

rhdaussiekitt
FLAG Recruit

Post by rhdaussiekitt » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:18 am

thanks for posting all those pics Lost Knightshows that you cant really build a screen accurate kitt.
those are cool pics :D
--knightman--

Black Cat
Recruit

Post by Black Cat » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:29 am

Here's a weird-looking right switch pod from Just My Bill. It looks like one button is missing. It's also interesting how Michael used some random button called PENG for Smoke Release.

David
Rookie

Post by David » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:40 am

I think the non-turbo boost switchpod above is from the original Scheffe dash used for the 30 min NBC presentation.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:04 pm

David wrote:I think the non-turbo boost switchpod above is from the original Scheffe dash used for the 30 min NBC presentation.
Not quite. I was also under the impression that the numbered switch pods were only from the 20-minute presentation footage in the Pilot, but evidently that's not true. Here's a capture I made in another thread from the pod in the Pilot:

By the way, nice catch, Black Cat!

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:35 pm

Here's some shots of the Pursuit light on the voice modulator. The modulator's light in the 20-minute presentation is blue. Later in Season 2, the light is sometimes red and sometimes lavender, depending on the car being used. Or, the inconsistencies could be because of the use of the mock-up dashboard:

"Knight Of the Phoenix":

"Goliath":

"Brother's Keeper":

knightfan81
Volunteer

Post by knightfan81 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:16 am

Also in "White Bird", after KITT turbo-boosts into the back of the Cessna, he swings around in the grass. When Michael gets out, you can see a regular round steering wheel. I will try to post a screen cap later.

Garthe Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Garthe Knight » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:31 am

Yeah, and in every scene where KITT uses Skymode and drives on two wheels you can see the car has the normal round steering wheel. (and often you can see that it's not David Hasselhoff who's driving) Guess it's too hard with KITTs gullwing to steer on two wheels.

HungarianKnight
FLAG Recruit

Post by HungarianKnight » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:07 pm

As far as I remember, there was one episode with an odd Turbo Boost button. It was the standard white button with black letters instead of the red button with white letters. Can anybody tell me in which episode was this oddity featured?

DevonStyles
FLAG Recruit

Post by DevonStyles » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:08 pm

A little off subject, I was watching an episode the other day, I can't recall which one... Season 1 topaz connection I think and Kitt had a huge hole or some kinda gash in his right side drivers seat. it can be seen clearly in a few shots. It's amazing how many things you can overlook over the years. Some of the pics were really good. Especially the stickered dash.
edited by the good folks at knightrideronline

Crumbling Down
FLAG Recruit

Post by Crumbling Down » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:30 am

Yea I remember noticing the hole in the drivers seat in one of the episodes. I think it can also be seen in the episode where michael chases tanya walker. I am sure there was probably a reason the hole was there. The cars where brand new when they got them so they must have added that hole in the seat for a reason we all may never know. I know if I ever got one of the actual kitt cars used in the serious I would be out in the garage just going over every inch of the car with a magnifying glass.
Booonnnnnzzzzaaaaaiii!!!!!!!! As michael turbo boosts to score the extra point. His face is so funny when he yells this and when he hits turbo boost his eyes get huge and he flies back into the seat

Knight2000
FLAG Recruit

Post by Knight2000 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:07 pm

As I recall, the hole was a camera mount to allow internal/through the windscreen shots.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:29 pm

DevonStyles wrote:A little off subject, I was watching an episode the other day, I can't recall which one... Season 1 topaz connection I think and Kitt had a huge hole or some kinda gash in his right side drivers seat. it can be seen clearly in a few shots. It's amazing how many things you can overlook over the years. Some of the pics were really good. Especially the stickered dash.
This shot is actually from "Trust Doesn't Rust," but is still a good shot of the hole, nonetheless:
Garthe Knight wrote:Yeah, and in every scene where KITT uses Skymode and drives on two wheels you can see the car has the normal round steering wheel. (and often you can see that it's not David Hasselhoff who's driving) Guess it's too hard with KITTs gullwing to steer on two wheels.
This shot is from "Knight Of the Phoenix." We can see a round steering wheel, the stunt driver, and a very poor-looking dummy in place of the kid:
knightfan81 wrote:Also in "White Bird", after KITT turbo-boosts into the back of the Cessna, he swings around in the grass. When Michael gets out, you can see a regular round steering wheel. I will try to post a screen cap later.
Not only can we see the round steering wheel, but also a single monitor instead of doubles. Clearly it's not the Hero Car. Later in Seasons 3 & 4, the stunt cars still had the 2-monitor dashboard:

I'd have posted a shot of that weird-looking Turbo Boost button, but I don't know where to look for it.

dustindustries
Recruit

Post by dustindustries » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:28 am

Hello there, I am looking at making an EL voice/sound activated Knight Rider shirt with K.I.T.T.`s dash on the chest. After careful research and reconstructing the dash on Photoshop I noticed the blue variant button and wasn`t sure which color to go with. You seem to be some what of an expert on the matter so any help or information would be appreciated. I would really like to get it just like the original otherwise there is no point making it at all, also I noticed your screen image has the season 3 dash. I may end up making both but I think I will do the original first. Thanks
DUST doesn`t RUST!

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:06 am

dustindustries wrote:After careful research and reconstructing the dash on Photoshop I noticed the blue variant button and wasn`t sure which color to go with.
By "blue variant button" I'm assuming you mean the Pursuit button? If that's the case, I would say the Season 1 dashboard should have the blue Pursuit button and larger monitors (I don't know the exact length in inches). For a Season 2 dashboard, I would use the red-colored Pursuit button (despite it changing back and forth throughout Season 2, it separates the seasons better) and the smaller double monitors with the octagonal frames. As for Seasons 3 & 4, the only difference in the voice modulators is that Season 3's says "Normal Cruise," and Season 4's simply just says "Normal."

dustindustries
Recruit

Post by dustindustries » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:12 am

Thanks for the info, yes I did mean the Pursuit button. I will only be putting the voice modulator section on the shirt as there is no room to include the whole dash. Anyways you did a great job with the screen capture man they look like photos, well done. Apparently in the episode `Big Iron` some shots show that a tractor tumbles a Pontiac Transam and not K.I.T.T. Also at the end credits of the pilot episode it shows the roman numerals MCMLXXVII(1977) instead of MCMLXXXII(1982) I am in China at the mo and don`t have any eps. to watch so can`t verify these things. later.
DUST doesn`t RUST!

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:33 pm

dustindustries wrote:Apparently in the episode `Big Iron` some shots show that a tractor tumbles a Pontiac Transam and not K.I.T.T.
Thanks for the compliments. I've seen that shot in "Big Iron," but refrained from posting a capture since it was technically off-topic. But since you brought it up, why not? :)

Another terrible-looking dummy:

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:51 pm

Someone pointed this out on the boards a long time ago, I think, but the shot still belongs in this thread. If you look closely at the yellow button on the switch pod in "Redemption Of a Champion," you can see that it reads "R.C.'s":

In this shot from "Junk Yard Dog" when K.I.T.T. is being rebuilt, you can see that the tachometer only says "X 100," when it should read "X 1000":

knightfan81
Volunteer

Post by knightfan81 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:29 pm

There's a couple in Knight of the Drones. The first (and I can't remember which scene) is where KITT has his 1TV dash before he gets blown up by the missile. The second is when KITT chases down the remote car. When Michael stops, you can see that its a regular T/A and not KITT.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:36 pm

Another shot of the dashboard missing the Knight logo on the steering wheel. It appears to be right around the same time that the odd-looking white "Knight 2000" modulator was on the dash in the first pictures in the thread, only replaced with a red lens:

juanjocorredor
Stranger

Post by juanjocorredor » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:04 pm

The confidence the errors will "Trust Doesn't Rust"

In this episode there were some notable errors:

Mind you these two pictures when KITT KARR launches a laser is clearly missing a lighthouse

and in this scene where KARR active the ski mode is a hand on the wheel

:karr: :dash: :kitt2:

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:56 pm

Lost Knight wrote:In this shot from "Junk Yard Dog" when K.I.T.T. is being rebuilt, you can see that the tachometer only says "X 100," when it should read "X 1000":

um... 44 x 100 = 4,400 which would be the correct RPM reading.

Normal engines hang around the 3,000 RPM at 60 mph
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:15 pm

Rockatteer wrote:um... 44 x 100 = 4,400 which would be the correct RPM reading.

Normal engines hang around the 3,000 RPM at 60 mph
Very true, thanks. I was thinking of most cars including my own that have analog gauges and therefore say "X 1000." I didn't realize that it said "X 100" because K.I.T.T.'s dash is digital. :oops:

Stealthwalker
Operative

Post by Stealthwalker » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:32 pm

Well keep in mind special efx and etc. were limited in the 80's, but it never stopped the show from delivering "Pure Classic Entertainment on T.V." for that time period.
Stealthwalker aka "Tha Lone Crusader"

"We Meet Again". As quoted by Garthe Knight in "Goliath & Goliath Returns"