LIve Discussion Thread - Knight Fever

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Faithful Car KRO
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: LIve Discussion Thread - Knight Fever

Post by Faithful Car KRO » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:21 pm

vertigo778 wrote:The movie "Shrek 2" put ABC on top at 8 p.m. with a modest 3.2/6. A "Bones" repeat on FOX earned a 2.8/5, edging NBC's "Knight Rider" (2.7/5). CBS was right behind, averaging 2.6/5 with repeats of "Old Christine" and "Gary Unmarried." The CW aired the movie "How to Deal."

not great, but not terrible.
Wow....only a .1 point difference from Bones...isn't that a first?
"Michael, I agree with your earlier assessment, back-up plans suck."- KI3T
Put the word out!
WATCH THE SHOW!!!: Wed at 8:00pm on NBC.
Its getting better and gaining ratings, AWESOME!!

Garthe Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Garthe Knight » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:21 pm

Yeah, the episode was not bad at all. Storywise it was good. The VFX were not so great in some scenes.
And I really really don't like the hard rock / metal music they play during every action scene. It is so loud it's hard to understand the actors, and it kills the atmosphere of the show. The first scene KITT chasing the bikes and the semi would have been more enjoyable with more motorsounds and less metal beats.

And I always hoped the SSC would blow up with all the FBI parts in it. :wink:

Aside from that it was one of the better episodes. Still I hope the show will keep improving with the retooling.

BTW, did you notice that there was a big error when they wanted to turn off self-destruction? At first they used the right hands, than in closeup their left hands were shown, later it was their right hands again.
And since Alex didn't wear a watch on his "left" arm, maybe they accidently mirrored the picture material.
Last edited by Garthe Knight on Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scottab21
FLAG Recruit

Post by scottab21 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:24 pm

HAPPY NEW YEAR everybody. I didn't get a chance to actually watch this episode til' I got home around 2:30 in the morning. Thank God for my DVR! This ep. was really good. It had a great action sequence to open it up. I also liked how KITT had a true sense of humanity, a life of his own. Next week's preview looks very exciting, and should do really well. 2009 is here, and Knight Rider is back on TV, who could ask for anything more? :D

:kitt: :karr:
:kitt2:

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:30 pm

not to be nitpicky, but didn't this show used to pull a 3.5 when it started?
KITT: I walked right into that one, didn't I?
Michael: More like Turbo Boosted.

Faithful Car KRO
FLAG Recruit

Post by Faithful Car KRO » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:37 pm

KRAvengerII wrote:not to be nitpicky, but didn't this show used to pull a 3.5 when it started?
The series premiere of Knight Rider pulled a 4.9/8 at 8pm.
Put the word out!

vertigo778
Knight Rider 2008 Creative

Post by vertigo778 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:46 pm

to be fair, when the top rated show in the time slot gets a 3.2, 2.7 isn't bad at all. Comparing that number to other episodes isn't a fair comparison. Next Wednesday, however, will be a fair comparison.

very few people watch tv on News Years Eve (except the actual ball dropping).

GarthKnight08
FLAG Recruit

Post by GarthKnight08 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:06 pm

Ok now ive slammed the past 8 episodes but i have to say with this one it looks like they are hopefully getting back to basics! I really enjoyed the episode, thought it was well written & most of all it left out most things that made me say "what the hell was that garbage" in the first 8 episodes such as no stupid truck or van transforms & they only used attack mode twice when needed that kinda brought back the SPM feeling. Good job guys! Keep it up & ill keep tuning in!
Founder of OKA (Original KITT Anonymous)
If you need to get out feelings of loss for the Original KITT then we can help!

KITTANDBILLYLUVER
FLAG Recruit

Post by KITTANDBILLYLUVER » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:08 pm

vertigo778 wrote:to be fair, when the top rated show in the time slot gets a 3.2, 2.7 isn't bad at all. Comparing that number to other episodes isn't a fair comparison. Next Wednesday, however, will be a fair comparison.

very few people watch tv on News Years Eve (except the actual ball dropping).
I agree. The party I went to didn't even watch the ball drop, no tv. I also agree that it wasn't bad. I think that is good if you look at how there were no ads and it was New Year's. So it did good considering all the circumstances.

_K3000_
Operative

Post by _K3000_ » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:06 pm

I also have another thing to point out of what I liked about this episode! KITT inistiated attack mode himself the second time they transformed for attack mode! whooooot!
"We Can Make A Difference" Help Support The Show

Knight2000
FLAG Recruit

Post by Knight2000 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:07 pm

FuzzieDice wrote: I loved how KITT said he didn't want to die. That is so sad though that the humans still don't recognize his sentience.
I really liked that.
hasslethej wrote:I actually thought they were going to kill the 3 off at the end there
So did I. I thought this was the first ep after the retool. Completely forgot there were a few eps left to air. Thought they were gonna get killed by the self-destruct and though "awww I wish they could have been killed by K4RR!".
Mike Knight wrote:
Kram061-1 wrote:what did Charles mean when he said to Ryan Arrow about KITT's '"original prototype'"? KITT (K2000) or KARR(KARR(E))?
Technically, "Original Prototype" would be KARR (80s KARR). K2000 would be the prototype of the K3000.
Unless this new KARR is not the same AI from the 80s, in which case the "original prototype" would be KI2T.
I got the impression that they've disregarded the original 80s series and that when they refer to "KARR" they mean K4RR rather than 80s KARR. Here, I figured it was either in relation to K4RR or KI3T at an earlier stage but not KITT or KARR.
Mike Knight wrote: As for the episode, it's better, but still terrible as far as I'm concerned. And trying to make Zoe seem serious ("KARR Lives!") doesn't work. I don't think she's a good actress by any means.
Yeah I think Zoe can play the part of "airhead" very well, and that's about it. Wasn't convincing when things got serious. Even Billy's reaction to his smashed instrument seemed real.
Mike Knight wrote:
Kram061-1 wrote:What was the purpose of that pointless sparring scene between Ravai and Sarah?
To show us a "catfight." :roll: Again, the show continues to appeal to 12 year olds.
When I was twelve, I had Pamela Anderson in Baywatch. None of the new chicks in the show compete.
dcpan wrote: 1. Large semi for transporting such a small vial?
2. Why would Michael leave KITT's car door open if the virus can hop around? I was half expecting the virus to latch onto that ejecting can of pop to infect KITT.
Agreed - but then in the next shot, the door's down. I would have parked KI3T at a decent distance before approaching the virus.
Joe Huth wrote:Anybody catch the reference to Michael Long? When Charles was describing the virus, he said how it could affect people with pacemakers "or metal plates in their head".... :)
Was that a deliberate reference? I wondered whether Mike had anything metal implanted initially.
DevonStyles wrote:Way to many countdowns to extinction on this show. always saving the day with one second on the clock. The kitt cave exploding would have been a perfect way to get rid of all the extra cast. WOuld have brought a darker vibe to the show as well.
Almost every ep has some kinda countdown timer. IMO it's only worth having one if there's a real chance it could go off. Like maybe if every once in a while, they were too late. Even MK in TOS saved the day with a coupla seconds to spare!
Garthe Knight wrote:And I really really don't like the hard rock / metal music they play during every action scene. It is so loud it's hard to understand the actors, and it kills the atmosphere of the show. The first scene KITT chasing the bikes and the semi would have been more enjoyable with more motorsounds and less metal beats.
Still not a fan of the music and I had to rewatch some of the scenes at the beginning to get the dialogue.

IMO a better episode compared to the rest of the series but still short as a series on the whole. I hope the retooling is much better. Defo looking forward to K4RR

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:36 pm

KI3T definitely showed his sentience,and that's what I loved about this episode the most! :D But one thing to nitpick, they should stop having KI3T repeat his commands.It's getting a little annoying by now.
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

Jay
Rookie

Post by Jay » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:57 pm

Truly an excellent episode, and as it says in the Knight Writers blog, Fever airing now makes so much more sense.

"Sarah, is that you?" Knight of the Drones, anyone? =D
"Alright Mr. KITT, let's burn some rubber!" Knight Song

KITTANDBILLYLUVER
FLAG Recruit

Post by KITTANDBILLYLUVER » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:54 pm

Jay wrote:Truly an excellent episode, and as it says in the Knight Writers blog, Fever airing now makes so much more sense.

"Sarah, is that you?" Knight of the Drones, anyone? =D
How does that have anything to do with Knight of the Drones? 2 different subjects? or what?
Go KITT! :kitt:

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:23 pm

Mike Knight wrote:
Kram061-1 wrote:What was the purpose of that pointless sparring scene between Ravai and Sarah?
To show us a "catfight." :roll:
Think of the episode more in terms of its original airing context. Originally this was to be the second episode, it was to show how Sarah went from being a braniac to someone who could kick some ass.

In fact with our interview with Deanna at Comic Con, we asked her how in 6 mnths she is all of a sudden a bad ass - to which she replied that they shot a scene where she spars with Carrie who is teaching her how to fight.

Maybe that detail got cut out of the show last night, but it's still how I felt it worked.

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:46 pm

Mike Knight wrote:

Think of the episode more in terms of its original airing context. Originally this was to be the second episode, it was to show how Sarah went from being a braniac to someone who could kick some ass.

In fact with our interview with Deanna at Comic Con, we asked her how in 6 mnths she is all of a sudden a bad ass - to which she replied that they shot a scene where she spars with Carrie who is teaching her how to fight.

Maybe that detail got cut out of the show last night, but it's still how I felt it worked.
Yeah now that I've thought about it I suppose you are right. But it is still so very phony, that I think the only ass Sarah could kick is her own. Once again, this has been one of the problems with the show, she's been in far more fights than Mike Traceur, but I'll give it a pass b/c it's really episode 2.

knightriderfan80
Recruit

Post by knightriderfan80 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:32 pm

By FAR the best episode! I hope to keep seeing improvements!!!

There was one thing I was somewhat annoyed about though. When the rockets were armed in KITT, they didn't show them being launched or even the launchers from what I recall. It was just a background of Michael and Sarah running and an explosion. Kinda lame, but I can let this one slide.

KnightINSTINCT
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightINSTINCT » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:44 pm

Clearly, the sparring scene between Sarah and Carrie was to show Sarah can definitely hold her own, like at the bar. I believe that was the only purpose to that particular scene....whether it be the intended second ep to the series or not.

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:00 pm

neps wrote:
Mike Knight wrote:

And i've been grousing about that for how long now?
My dad told me he tried to watch the show last night, but he couldn't get into it, or something. I'm surprised he made the effort.

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:05 am

I loved this episode! Plenty of action and the truck chase priceless as was the mentioning of KARR! I hope the cave does not become a casualty of the so called RETOOLING/RECASTING thing.

knightprobe89
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightprobe89 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:40 am

i know i have been bashing kr08 a lot because of previoous episodes, but i have to say that i was very happy with the knight fever episode, to me it was very close to the original series in a lot of ways, i liked the way kitt was chasing the semi and the driving backward stunt, i liked seeing kitt drive by himself, i liked that kitt didn't transform into any other vehicles, i liked that kitt drove on a dirt trail terrain by the powerlines in mustang form, i liked that the billy and zoe characters were potrayed in a more serious manner, i loved when the virus almost took over kitt and his voice started to fade, defanitely classic knight rider all the way. i cant believe nbc thought that people weren't going to like this episode! nbc needs to make more episodes like this one. very well done. in my opinion this was the best episode to date! :good:
in glen larson we trust.

_K3000_
Operative

Post by _K3000_ » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:57 am

My god i did not want the episode to end dammit oh well till next week :). I can't wait for turbo boosts again and KITT is gonna crash through a wall again :)
"We Can Make A Difference" Help Support The Show

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:08 am

Very good episode I enjoyed it. Especially the fact that there were STUNTS! And real stunts, not computer-generated stunts. I love the fast reverse in that opening chase (and I agree about the music there, at least turn it down if not use something composed.) The motorcycle chase looked significantly more legit than past chase scenes. I also liked that they finally specified that KITT still had the 'preservation of human life' thing going. I do wish this were aired when more people would have watched it. (And I did catch the 'metal plate in your head' reference, pretty cool)

My only major complaint is simply as a nerd for the original show. Arrow's and Graiman's conversation about KITT's intellectual abilities. Graiman's words are reinforcing the idea which I have hoped is false which is that the new KARR is completely unrelated. (And even with Peter Cullen reprising the role people still don't find it weird?) But that's not my complaint. Arrow praises him for "actually" doing it, making an AI that can think and interact so well with humans.
But...since Graiman supposedly built the original KITT (and the original KARR? as little sense as that is beginning to make), didn't he "actually" succeed at this AI thing 26 years ago?
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

Faithful Car KRO
FLAG Recruit

Post by Faithful Car KRO » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:25 am

cloudkitt wrote:Very good episode I enjoyed it. Especially the fact that there were STUNTS! And real stunts, not computer-generated stunts. I love the fast reverse in that opening chase (and I agree about the music there, at least turn it down if not use something composed.) The motorcycle chase looked significantly more legit than past chase scenes. I also liked that they finally specified that KITT still had the 'preservation of human life' thing going. I do wish this were aired when more people would have watched it. (And I did catch the 'metal plate in your head' reference, pretty cool)

My only major complaint is simply as a nerd for the original show. Arrow's and Graiman's conversation about KITT's intellectual abilities. Graiman's words are reinforcing the idea which I have hoped is false which is that the new KARR is completely unrelated. (And even with Peter Cullen reprising the role people still don't find it weird?) But that's not my complaint. Arrow praises him for "actually" doing it, making an AI that can think and interact so well with humans.
But...since Graiman supposedly built the original KITT (and the original KARR? as little sense as that is beginning to make), didn't he "actually" succeed at this AI thing 26 years ago?
What it appears is that GST used the power NBC allowed him and pretty much retconned the statement of Charles working on the original. More or less, I believe in this "reality," Graiman's work started somehow with KARR.
It merely seems that instead of trying to alter the history of Knight Rider, they're playing it out as if everything about the original "Knight Rider" project is extremely classified. As if when FLAG closed down, any information regarding the details to the project, which undoubtedly required going above the law at some points and the extremely hightech prototypes and tests that I'm sure if couldnt be used for good be of no use to all...that's what happened with the original KARR. It also looks that if this is correct, we could see the new story arc and season two going through all the files of FLAG and discovering about all the secrets and possibly leading to some interesting stories.....

atleast this is just my take on it.
Put the word out!

triran
Rookie

Post by triran » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:47 am

In fairness I think Sarah did question Charles on why he was quite willing to tell Arrow info on KITT.

Also I LOVED the metal / rock music for the action, better than rubbish pop music for kiddies.

BTW How do we know Arrow is dead? What IF he managed to get into the lead based basement before KITT fired. I can't help feel there are baddies from past episodes that might end working together with the pieces of information about KITT hence the demise of the SCC that we know if coming.

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:23 am

About the music- I too, liked the music they used in the beginning, and I've liked some of the music they've used in the last two episodes as well- I'm a little concerned about whether or not they'll still be able to use them when the DVD set comes out.