What if the Old KITT is in an Emulator within the New KITT?

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

What if the Old KITT is in an Emulator within the New KITT?

Post by PunkMaister » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:12 am

It ocurred to me that while a lot of computer and console systems have become obsolete by today's standards people still play them on their PC and Macs in emulators and that being the case why would it not work for the KITT2000 AI to be in an emulator just waiting to be activated when and if necesary within the New KITT3000? They more than enough adequate hardware to do it anyway. So what do you think of this concept?

Lexicon
Operative

Re: What if the Old KITT is in an Emulator within the New KITT?

Post by Lexicon » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:54 am

I'm not sure why the fanboys have to keep revisiting this topic of discussion over and over again every few days but yes it is (theoretically) possible. If you're holding out for them to flip a switch and have William Daniel's voice magically appear instead of Val Kilmer's voice, forget it. If the K2K returns in any plot capacity, I doubt it will be in the K3K shell or in the original Trans-Am configuration unless they get a decent budget together to come up with something really exciting.

goldbug
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by goldbug » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:24 am

That means KI3T could play Pac Man all day!!!! :good:
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:32 pm

Lexicon wrote:I'm not sure why the fanboys have to keep revisiting this topic of discussion over and over again every few days but yes it is (theoretically) possible. If you're holding out for them to flip a switch and have William Daniel's voice magically appear instead of Val Kilmer's voice, forget it. If the K2K returns in any plot capacity, I doubt it will be in the K3K shell or in the original Trans-Am configuration unless they get a decent budget together to come up with something really exciting.
A switch? An emulator does not work like that for starters. It is a shell that is designed to run old software be it games or an AI in this case in current hardware. Mike or Sarah would probably just instruct KITT to run the KITT2000 program. As for the voice they would need someone whose voice is as identical to William Daniel's as possible but do not tell me is not doable. However I agree that the fanboys wet dream of seeing the Old KITT still in it;s original shape and form is stupid.

My_Friend_KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by My_Friend_KITT » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:08 pm

Is an emulator like a virtual drive?
That is a computer not a sofa.......Knight of the Drones

A firsthand viewer of Knight Rider '08!
And I LOVED it!

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:50 pm

My_Friend_KITT wrote:Is an emulator like a virtual drive?
Sorta but not quite is more like a virtual machine that runs within the hardware and operating system of a physical machine. There are now plenty of emulators for vintage computer and console systems. I myself have emulators for NES, SNES, N-64, Playstation, Collecovision, Atari and Tandy Color Computer and MC-10 to name a few. :D

My_Friend_KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by My_Friend_KITT » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:00 pm

When I took computer courses at the community college we used a virtual machine program to run different OS' without damaging the school's computer. It has been a while.

And I LOVED it!

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:50 pm

My_Friend_KITT wrote:When I took computer courses at the community college we used a virtual machine program to run different OS' without damaging the school's computer. It has been a while.
That i one of the advantages of a virtual machine indeed. But in the case of the original KITT it would allow it to exist within the confines of the physical new KITT without adding any additional and more importantly obsolete hardware. :D

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:27 am

Seems like an interesting idea...and when they run KITT's program, he'll turn into a TransAm! But I'd rather see the original KITT as a separate entity.
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

Knightfan82
Rookie

Post by Knightfan82 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:56 am

Sky_Blue_Civic wrote:Seems like an interesting idea...and when they run KITT's program, he'll turn into a TransAm! But I'd rather see the original KITT as a separate entity.
Same here. My biggest problem with this Idea is that the K3000 would have two personalities instead of one. And I'm not sure KI2T would want/like to be reduced to an emulated program running in another AI. KI2T's Memories and experience could be stored in the KI3T for reference but not the actual AI program.

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:25 am

Sky_Blue_Civic wrote:Seems like an interesting idea...and when they run KITT's program, he'll turn into a TransAm! But I'd rather see the original KITT as a separate entity.
*Sigh* No it would not have to turn into a freaking TransAm and we are talking machines here. Unlike a person with multiple personality disorder both AIs would switch between the 2 at will. And you people still don't get it do you? The old kit other than the AI is nothing more than worthless obsolete junk by today's standards. The only thing worth keeping is the AI and the best bet to keep the AI within the new show is within the New KITT itself. :roll:

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:04 am

GST did say he didnt see why the two cars could appear side by side, so I'm gonna guess that in the new KR universe, Ki2t still exsists in a body (I'm gonna guess he's now in a ford product, rather than a T/A) and would not need to be 'emulated'

On another train of thought, I was watching a sci fi comedy called 'Red Dwarf' a few years ago and their ships old AI had been removed and installed in a watch with a screen built in.... (can anyone guess where my mind is going on this one....?)

Before anyone suggests Ki2t would be too complex, look at this way, my first computer had 128k memory back in '87 and was a fair size. Nowadays I have a mobile phone which is the size of a credit card (in length and almost in depth) but is infinitely more complex and powerful. So why couldnt the original AI of Ki2t be modernised and miniaturised in the same manner??

I know most people bang on about the return of the vehicle itself but my one wish is to see the watch back in some capacity, even as a 'cameo' in the scenario I mentioned, as Ki2t....

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:00 am

I agree, KITT being integrated into something as small as a watch, is probably not that much of a stretch. Though the only issue with that would be the memory/storage. Certainly the watch wouldn't have an infinite amount of storage. Still, I'd rather have that than then being emulated and treated like abandonware
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

My_Friend_KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by My_Friend_KITT » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:24 pm

The concept sounds good to me but it would be like seeing KITT with a split personality disorder. Two different voices and two different styles. I like the idea of him inside some portable device (not the little tv again-poor KITT) helping out in some way.

And I LOVED it!

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:08 pm

PHOENIXZERO wrote:I agree, KITT being integrated into something as small as a watch, is probably not that much of a stretch. Though the only issue with that would be the memory/storage. Certainly the watch wouldn't have an infinite amount of storage. Still, I'd rather have that than then being emulated and treated like abandonware
What the hell does Abandonware does even mean? People nowadays still play Pacman and current 3D sequels of the game so by no means can such software be called as you claim Abandonware! Geesh! :roll:

About the watch you are right about the storage capacity but it could still be a remote interface to the now emulated old KITT stored within the new one...
My_Friend_KITT wrote:The concept sounds good to me but it would be like seeing KITT with a split personality disorder. Two different voices and two different styles. I like the idea of him inside some portable device (not the little tv again-poor KITT) helping out in some way.
You are forgetting they are machines and as such it would not even be remotely close to what a split personality disorder is like as both personalities would be there simultaneously, in fact the 2 voices could even interact with each other if need be. Hardware nowadays allow for that and more!

My_Friend_KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by My_Friend_KITT » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:24 pm

Oh yeah, they are machines and can handle it. But as a human looking in at this 2 way conversation, or sudden change in voice and character, coming from the same device that has human characteristics would be a little unsettling.

And I LOVED it!

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:32 pm

My_Friend_KITT wrote:Oh yeah, they are machines and can handle it. But as a human looking in at this 2 way conversation, or sudden change in voice and character, coming from the same device that has human characteristics would be a little unsettling.
I would not sound at all like a human with dual or multiple personality disorder. It would sound if anything like 2 people having a conference over a phone where you distintly hear the 2 voices over the speakers at the exact same time! I don't find that at all unsettling, you are simply giving KITT too much a human characteristic it simply does not have. Tell me have you ever played Doom 3 or any other modern video game? If so you know that the game generates sound, music etc simultaneously and seemlesly over the speakers. The way the 2 KITTS operate would be just as seamless, it would not and could not ever be confused with a split personality disorder as you claim.

My_Friend_KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by My_Friend_KITT » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:44 pm

I am in no way putting it down. The theory is interesting that's for sure. Love to be there to hear the conversation.

Maybe I am giving KITT a tooo human quality but probably I'm not the only one. Don't you remember the reaction people had to KITT changing his voice to female. And that was only for a second.

Would or could they be online at the same time or would KI3T or KI2T have the dominate program?
Would the conversation be held audibly?

Just some questions...Theory-I love this stuff

And I LOVED it!

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:11 pm

PunkMaister wrote:What the hell does Abandonware does even mean? People nowadays still play Pacman and current 3D sequels of the game so by no means can such software be called as you claim Abandonware! Geesh! :roll:
Um abandonware is when the DEVELOPER abandons the software no longer providing bug fixes, updates, customer support, and so on. It has NOTHING to do with the end user who wishes to keep playing it. Namco hasn't updated the "original" PacMan software since the mid 80's. They have only ported it to different systems. Either way PacMan is far from being abandonware considering it has had numerous sequels, cartoons, clothing, and etc since the 80's, there for its a poor example. :roll:
The Knight Rider Fan Game Project:
http://www.theknightrider.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Knightfan82
Rookie

Post by Knightfan82 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:50 pm

PunkMaister wrote:
The old kit other than the AI is nothing more than worthless obsolete junk by today's standards. The only thing worth keeping is the AI and the best bet to keep the AI within the new show is within the New KITT itself. :roll:[/quote]

You have apoint there. But as obsolete as the KI2T body is I would think that its components are still classified materials. And even if KI2T's AI is still in its car body, how effective would it be today? Compared to the KI3T, its a Dinosaur. I'm not trying to make enemies here, I’m just stateing a fact. KI2T would need a major overhaul in order to take out todays criminals(This is of course provideing KI2T has been off line for the last 21 years. I'd like to think it was operational a lot longer than four years). As for the AI in the New KITT, I'm not for that at all. Of course I don't see him in a watch or collecting dust somewhere either. Maybe he's the backup AI mentioned in "HALLOWEEN KNIGHT"?