The Knight Rider 2008 Constructive Criticism Thread

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Stargazer
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: The Knight Rider 2008 Constructive Criticism Thread

Post by Stargazer » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:40 am

I have appreciated all of the hard work that has went into Knight Rider 2008 and for the members and moderators for bringing us updates, however I must admit I'm finished with KR08.

Things with the new KARR has brought me to realize that this KR is not really a continuation but another remake of sorts. I know that some may disagree with me, but this is just my feelings on it.

I was really discouraged with the news that Bruce Davison was going to be one of the three cut from the show, now to know that KARR is not the original KARR brought back and updated (yes, the orginal was outdated, but it could have been brought back in an updated version).

KR08 has a very long way to go to be able to match what the original use to be and at this rate they are going in the opposite direction.... attack mode and not persuit mode or ski mode. The car doesn't even crash thru anything? I understand that KR08 is still in early production, but didn't the original cover most of this ground during the 1st season? It seems that KR08 is the show that is outdated in this area.

So what is next? K.R. is going back to K.I.?

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:40 am

The thing I am mainly upset about is that there is not enough relation to the original. I felt the pilot did an excellent job in showing how this is a CONTINUATION and the fact that Charles Graiman had something to do with the original in terms of building the first KITT, Mike's father driving the first KITT, and Wilton Knight. How can they not mention where everything came from??? :roll: Not at all have they mentioned anything about the original except for Mike saying "my fathers real name was Michael Long", but of course every week we need a sexual joke so they throw that in their too. Mention KI2T and how it was the car of the century and a remarkable breakthrough in AI technology for god's sake, mention how Wilton Knight had the dream of one man making a difference and how MK did that, why can't they have Charles say this stuff? And why the hell are they always stuck in this damn SSC. Bring these characters out in the open and experiencing everyday lives and bring back Charles house to continue what went on with the dismantled KI2T and his research info since they could have made a nice story around KI2T dismantled and maybe show it and talk about it in the show somehow. Another thing I would like to mention, how the hell can Charles say he is "resurrecting the Foundation then create this James Bond wannabe center". I understand that GST wants to ignore that but it makes no godamn sense, people got hooked to the pilot, rating were high so stick with some of it at least. I really hope we see some improvement on some original stuff in the next few episodes. It is unbelievable I have to wait till episode 13 to find out about FLAG because GST and these other guys don't have time to add something from the original.

I also am very grateful as I have always been the entire time throughout this whole show since Feb and I want to thank all the guys working on the new KR! But I am just disappointed in the fact that I feel that the original is ignored.

Joe

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:29 pm

I love KR08,but the only thing that is bugging me is that the original series is ignored,second,KI3T's just a "background" object,or a tool,and third:We all want to know what happened to KITT!
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

TheGunheart
Volunteer

Post by TheGunheart » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:46 pm

Personally, I think I'm done with the show.

You just can't do Knight Rider anymore: all the cars are ugly 60's redesigns these days, you can't get William Daniels in the role, special effects budgets are in the crapper, and I find this whole story arc uninteresting.

It's not even KITT in a new body with a different voice: it's Data from Star Trek on four wheels.

KnightINSTINCT
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightINSTINCT » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:38 pm

Bringing a purpose to Graimen and KI2T in the garage was what I expected in this season. If one thing this show SHOULD do is bring on some continuity in story line. I'm all for stand alone episodes when it comes to missions, but there must be more explanation to why Charles had KI2T, and more on Mike Traceur's blurred past.

TA KITT
Stranger

Post by TA KITT » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:47 pm

Come on Guys. Get with the program. There are too many people out there that love the original show to deviate from it this much. It isn't even close to the original series. First of all, KITT must be A GM CAR NOT FORD! They could have used a new Camaro or even the prototype Trans Am that I have seen floating around on the internet. GM would have eaten that up especially with all the success of the Transformers movie. Second What is up with all the Transformer BS? The original KITT could do a few things but this is really pushing it. It just looks like a Ford dealership rolling around....whats next a Tempo or Pinto? Really guys! Put the heart and soul back into it and you guys will succeed. What is up with all the extras? It used to be basically Michael, KITT, Devon and Bonnie...thats it. The whole world didn't have to know about it. I think that a villain like Garth or even KARR would be great. How about Goliath? We also need to see more jumps and turbo boosts. Right now, the show is not much more than a big soap opera and extremely unrealistic. The old KITT made us kind of think that he could possibly exist somewhere. That gave us something to look forward too not this garish garbage. Sorry guys but that is t=what I think. take it or leave it.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:56 am

*SIGH* Another GM fanboy without a clue....

There IS NO NEW FIREBIRD OR TRANS-AM THAT IMAGE FLOATING AROUND WAS JUST A CONCEPT RENDERING THAT SOMEONE WHO HAD NO AFFILIATION WITH GM MADE! THE CAMARO WASN'T IN PRODUCTION YET AND EVEN IF IT WAS GM WASN'T INTERESTED AND PARAMOUNT ALREADY HAD THE CAR LOCKED UP FOR TRANSFORMERS! IF YOU THINK GM WOULDN'T HAVE THE SHOW BE A ROLLING COMMERCIAL EITHER THEN YOU'RE FOOLING YOURSELF! THE ONLY REASON THE ORIGINAL KITT WAS A TRANS-AM IN THE ORIGINAL SERIES WAS BECAUSE GLEN LARSON LIKED HOW THE CAR LOOKED. PONTIAC/GM PRETTY MUCH RESENTED KNIGHT RIDER WITH HOW THEY STARTED TO REACT TO IT. /caps

*Bangs his head into a wall*
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Stargazer
Operative

Post by Stargazer » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:44 am

My main complaint is that the technology was built around the car and not into it.

The scanner(s) were molded into slots that were meant for something else. The scanner(s) do not have the trailing effect that the original had (that even my nephews of 10 and 15 like very much in the re-runs of the orginal).

There is no "Darth Vader bathroom" effect. Just a driver that argues with a car to do something and no buttons to push.

This KITT doesn't do half of what the origianl KITT could do. Well, it doesn't do it "yet".

I do not even understand the Attack Mode. I'm only guessing that KITT has to be in AM to turbo boost and remain in AM to make the correct landing.

I am like most here that would like to see more of the continuation of why KITT is in pieces (somewhat) in a garage.

It wouldn't hurt to have the MK make a reference to his father and the orginal KITT.

Minus MT not being shot in the face, you almost have a complete remake of TOS and with this new KARR, that just proves it - regardless that alot of work went into it. We were promised a continuation and it just ain't happening and it shows.

PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
With that last bit, I understand there is a rumor that mention of the original KITT is going to be very soon along with the explanation of how the KI3T came to be.

GarthKnight08
FLAG Recruit

Post by GarthKnight08 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:21 am

Guys lets speak in reality here ok, one more season & this show is done! Thats just it, theres really nothing that can save it because it dug such a deep hole! Its really a shame & i think we all know who is to blame.
Founder of OKA (Original KITT Anonymous)
If you need to get out feelings of loss for the Original KITT then we can help!

KnightINSTINCT
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightINSTINCT » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:40 pm

But didn't the new KARR and turbo boost clips look cool!!

If they do the story at the right pace, and cut back on the horrible soundtrack we've endured the last eight eps, I believe this show will become a little more appealing.

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:27 pm

TA KITT wrote:Come on Guys. Get with the program. There are too many people out there that love the original show to deviate from it this much. It isn't even close to the original series. First of all, KITT must be A GM CAR NOT FORD! They could have used a new Camaro or even the prototype Trans Am that I have seen floating around on the internet. GM would have eaten that up especially with all the success of the Transformers movie. Second What is up with all the Transformer BS? The original KITT could do a few things but this is really pushing it. It just looks like a Ford dealership rolling around....whats next a Tempo or Pinto? Really guys! Put the heart and soul back into it and you guys will succeed. What is up with all the extras? It used to be basically Michael, KITT, Devon and Bonnie...thats it. The whole world didn't have to know about it. I think that a villain like Garth or even KARR would be great. How about Goliath? We also need to see more jumps and turbo boosts. Right now, the show is not much more than a big soap opera and extremely unrealistic. The old KITT made us kind of think that he could possibly exist somewhere. That gave us something to look forward too not this garish garbage. Sorry guys but that is t=what I think. take it or leave it.
I'm sorry to say, but GM stopped TA manufacturing a few years ago, and since everyone seems to feel that they have a right to complain, I'm going to say that I want a Civic as KITT. Why? It looks better and more futuristic than any GM, Ford,or Chevy. And even the dash looks better. And now I will step off my soap box.
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:22 pm

Sky_Blue_Civic wrote: I'm sorry to say, but GM stopped TA manufacturing a few years ago, and since everyone seems to feel that they have a right to complain, I'm going to say that I want a Civic as KITT. Why? It looks better and more futuristic than any GM, Ford,or Chevy. And even the dash looks better. And now I will step off my soap box.
I agree, the Civic looks way better than the Camaro, that's for sure. The Camaro is basically a GM version of the Mustang, if you want a Camaro, you should just stick with the Mustang because they look the same, and at least the Mustang is sustaining American jobs. The Honda Civic also sustains American jobs. Plus the Civic has a digital dashboard, at least for the speedometer. If you want a car that's less boxy than Mustang GT500KR, the Camaro is NOT that car, because it is equally boxy. The only three American Muscle cars left are Mustang, Corvette, and Viper, and among those three, only the Mustang has a back seat.

Long live the Ford Mustang!!!! :)

--Brian

lunchmeat
FLAG Recruit

Post by lunchmeat » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:19 pm

I don't really understand why a lot of people are set against a Mustang as Kitt. I think it works well enough, Ford license aside. I understand that the Ford advertisement angle is a turnoff, but other than that, I think the mustang works well enough.

The original Kitt was a Trans Am. What if he wasn't? Face it, it was a pretty arbitrary decision. There were good reasons behind the choice of a Trans Am, but it was still arbitrary. So it is with the Mustang. KI2T happened to be a Trans Am, and KI3T happens to be a Mustang. I don't really see the problem here.

The one thing I will say that I liked about KI2T that KI3T doesn't have (and maybe needs) is that the original was all black. The T/A had blacked-out taillights, and the headlights were recessed, so whenever you saw the car, it was completely blacked-out (except for the red scanner). I think this is why people think that the mustang looks "boxy" - it's because the headlights are too prominent and take focus away from the scan bar. (Think about it - KI2T's "face" was essentially his scanner, it was the focal point. KI3T's focal points are his headlights, as with every other car, because they are analogous to eyes.) If the Mustang kept the taillights from Attack Mode, and did something different with the headlights, I think it'd work better. Black rims, or hubcaps, would probably work better as well, for the blackout effect (especially in attack mode; wayyy too much silver there, and why is the ground effect blue? If they must have it, it should at least be red, or something.)

Bottom line - I like the Mustang. If they black it out like the original, and remove all of the advertising (replace the Mustang logo with a Knight, seriously, and remove those Shelby seat covers) I think it'll really come into its own.
If I am destroyed... ...so shall you be. -KARR

DLAspider
Rookie

Post by DLAspider » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:23 pm

I’ve read most of the other constructive criticisms and thought I’d give my two cents on the new Knight Rider (pre-reboot).

1. I somewhat agree with the dislike of the transformations. While imitating a police car, another Mustang/Ford vehicle or other possibilities like a taxi or something seems somewhat plausible, vans and trucks are ridiculous. No matter how you justify the technology behind it, it looks bad. As well, maybe these more believable disguises could use special effects more like in the two-hour pilot - a morph instead of a Transformers effect, if budget allows(but tranformations probably aren’t cheap anyways).

2. Attack mode - to help the viewers understand it, the producers could insert a scene where a list of cababilities of Attack vs normal mode is displayed on a screen or KITT’s HUD display briefly or some of the characters could discuss it. I don’t mind the tranformations between Attack and normal, especially if this was the only Transformers-like transformation they used.

3a. I know financial reasons may be the cause of the departure of the actors playing Graimen, Rivai and Torres, but just watching a bit of Knight of the Living Dead, it seemed Rivai and Torres were keeping Billy and Zoe focussed on the mission while they incessantly chatted about silly bets and bad innuendo. What will happen when Rivai and Torres are gone?

3b. Charles Graimen, while pivotal to the two-hour pilot, seems to sometimes make comments in the series that are just echoing what someone else said or are dull details about a mission that are just brief filler. I would prefer Charles staying on the show as a mentor of sorts if his character was more like in the pilot.

Also, do the new KITT transformations remind anyone of Inspector Gadget’s car? Go-go gadget Attack mode!

coverdale10
Volunteer

Post by coverdale10 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:52 pm

As a lifelong Knight Rider fan I want to like this new version of the series, but it just doesn't stand up to the original and it just isn't that good of a show on it's own merits. I am glad there are people who enjoy it, but the reality is that they are in the minority-the ratings speak volumes to that effect.

Another interesting aside is just how much this show resembles the "Viper" TV show of a few years ago. "Viper" seemed to move forward beyond the original "Knight Rider" is some important ways in terms of effects and the depth of the storylines, but it lacked the charm of the original "Knight Rider" so it didn't really work. It did last a total of 4 seasons like the original Knight Rider, albeit 3 were on syndicated networks which is a different ballgame from the major networks.

Think the original Knight Rider was cool in the same ways that "The Six Million Dollar Man", "The Bionic Woman" and even "Star Trek" were (I mention Star Trek because Knight Rider establishes it's own set of rules for it's universe), but it was the next step forward. This new version of the show started out with too many characters I don't care about and I don't like Mike (he's stiff and not really all that interesting), this new KITT (it really doesn't seem any more capable than the original KITT) or the girl they drive around with (she would be cool, but she lacks the good sense to avoid this group of stiffs). If the characters (KITT included) don't charm us why would we tune in every week.

The government involvement angle just sucks; the original show worked because the members of FLAG could do what the government couldn't and they even managed to make it look like fun. Not so with this new version; Wilton Knight's money must have run out. In this version they ARE the government and that is yet another glaring similarity to the Viper series that sapped the fun from that show very same way. If the bad-ass, renegade driver has to answer to the suits then why don't we just call them first....? Better yet, why don't we just tune in to re-runs of Law and Order and CSI instead of this drivel.

It's pretty simple: Mike is supposed to be fun loving, but still be able to instill the audience with the sense that he can handle himself under pressure. KITT doesn't have to be exactly like the original, but he had better not continue to seem like Val Kilmer voicing in his lines on a cell phone while in a half-conscious daze. An' lastly, someone get us some writers that help us suspend our disbelief and not make us feel is if our intelligence is expendable. (Maybe they should also be forced to watch all 80-plus original episodes before writing any more for this series.)

All in all, this new version of Knight Rider was a missed opportunity created by people who obviously didn't like the original series all that much, while at the same time they clearly lack the skills needed to create something better....

Over and out.... see you at the semi.....

Jonathan_Knight
Stranger

Post by Jonathan_Knight » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:53 am

I have been reading most of the posts, and many people make some very good points. I have been a fan of the original series since it first aired, and this new series is neither an homage nor a credible continuation.

Let's start with the premise of the pilot. So, it turns out that Charles Graiman created the original KITT, and that Wilton Knight was not the genius that everyone thought? Can someone explain to me what the point would have been for Wilton to take the credit for KITT, and relocate Charles so that no one would know he was involved in the design of the original car? Also, he happened to be relocated to the same area as Mike Traceur and his mother?

Where the hell did Jennifer Traceur come from? Isn't it amazing that writers/producers assume that we are all stupid, and will accept any explanation for their concept to work! Sure, Michael Knight slept around, and he could have had a one night stand that resulted in the birth of a son, but it seems pretty amazing that this all fell into place for the new show, and we are just to accept it.

Now, let's get to the car...what is the deal with the nano-technology? Sure, it has its uses for morphing and changing colors, etc., but KITT becomes totally defenseless if the computer is turned off??? I totally agree with other posts that the new KITT is like a piece of the backdrop -- this show is about the car! The pilot used none of the functionality, like Turbo Boost, and now that they are using it, why does it take ten minutes for it to activate?! This show relies way too much on special effects. And, don't even get me started on the morphing capability of KITT -- anybody ever heard of a show called Viper (originally another NBC show)? Isn't the EMP weapon similar to Static Pulse?

Now, let's talk a little bit about the characters -- there are too many! In the pilot it appeared that the team was going to be Charles, Sarah, Mike, Ravai and Mike's roommate friend, who now disappeared. The semi was now a cargo plane, and the Foundation was reborn! Now we also have Torres, Billy and Zoe -- what the #$%&*! The fact remains is that NBC, Andron and Thompson have ruined the entire concept of this show! What happened to "One man can make a difference"? Dr. Graiman stated in the pilot that he was resurrecting the Foundation -- oh, really? Knight Research and the SSC are nothing like FLAG! This show should have been conceived/promoted as a remake (like Bionic Woman), and not as a continuation of the original. Although, we know what happened to BW, and I'm sure that the fear was that the same thing would happen to KR. The answer? Have David Hasselhoff appear for three minutes.

It's a shame when the best thing about a show is its theme song!

KnightINSTINCT
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightINSTINCT » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:38 pm

Jonathan, Wilton never "created" KITT.

Faithful Car KRO
FLAG Recruit

Post by Faithful Car KRO » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:29 pm

KnightINSTINCT wrote:Jonathan, Wilton never "created" KITT.
Very true.
Wilton designed, financed and built KARR. Originally, KARR was supposed to be KITT...ie:the vehical for a rider to go on missions. But then the fault (self-preservation) was found in the AI'S CPU and he was decommisioned.

Now here's the weird thing.
From what I'ev read, and it may not be correct, is that the K2000 microprocessor was original in the pentagon's computer systems, until wilton thought it could be of better use. The body of the car is what was being made while Wilton was dying and Michael was recovering, with Devon overseeing completion of the body, which the micro-processor was then placed in. And we know that Dr. Von Voorman, Dr. Breeland, and Dr. Yamata were part of that team.

Now, this does leave an opening for Graiman.
We know Wilton designed the AI for KARR, but who designed the new AI for KI2T? It was never said. It was hinted that Wilton might have designed it, but no definate answer as far as i know was given (if i am incorrect, please correct me). Now Graiman could have taken the designs for KARR'S AI, implimented new technology, upgraded it and hardwired KITT's "preservation of human life" into the CPU. If KI2T was originally intended for goverment use, and Graiman's the one who designed it, that makes sense as to why he was moved and kept guarded.

Or, we could go on to say Graiman was brought into Knight Research and Development after Devon died. Like Maddok in KR200 and Marlon in TKR. We don't know much about Charles, but there are certain ways to still connect him. In Just My Bill (s01e05), it was stated portions of KI2T were designed at Stanford. Charles could have worked there (like Sarah, who was a teacher in the nono-techo the new car was built from) and just provided funding for KR&D's projects and probably was either brought in, or interviewed, for the new CEO of KI or FLAG.

Or we could go the whole other route, in that, GST retconned pretty much alot of the BackDoor Pilot. Is GST's version, Graiman might not have had anything to do with the original KI2T. He could have been brought in after K.A(C).R.R(E) to stop it or fix it. And then built KI3T for the goverment as a means to better serve the FBI's field operatives.
But saying this series isnt a correct continuation might not be correct. We don't know how much of FLAG and KI are on the books. The original program might be classifed to the extant that only members of FLAG can know. Which means, these are two different worlds...completely apart...the KARR and KI2T of FLAG, and K4RR and KI3T from the FBI.

It's all theories. I'm at work and have nothing to do so I needed to waste some time, now im done.
"Michael, I agree with your earlier assessment, back-up plans suck."- KI3T
Put the word out!
WATCH THE SHOW!!!: Wed at 8:00pm on NBC.
Its getting better and gaining ratings, AWESOME!!

KnightINSTINCT
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightINSTINCT » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:36 am

which episode was there a reference that says Wilton took a part in designing the circuitry? I was always under the impression that he was merely the founder for the miracle car, but in no way a scientist that made KARR or KITT.

KITT's mainframe was activated in Washington D.C.. That is true. I suspect that his character/personality was not truly born until later....they haven't really mentioned anything else beyond the simple fact that he was indeed operational at the Pentagon.

Josch Schulz
FLAG Operative

David Hasselhoff where are you: Help

Post by Josch Schulz » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:45 pm

Hey Guys

Years ago David Hasselhoff, it was in the end of the Series, fights for a bedder KITT because the car gets more and more to a superman style. And what happend here in the new Series? This what David never wants. Okay David says he never things that this new series will survie and he was right. Put the Mustang a red cape and give the car a S on the breast.

The Pilot Episode was very good, some stuff was strange, but it was very good. Then comes the TV Series and all was changed, that was the first mistake. No place for the Hoff was the second mistake. The Hoff and Knight Rider, you always think about Knight Rider and Baywatch when you speak to People about the Hoff. And David would be a great Davon Miles Role.

Transformation was in Pilot very good, reminds of Viper but okay. Then comes the series and it was a freakin shoked. They use the Viper Transformation complete and give us that as "Attak Mode". Its Nasty becuase between "Attak Mode" and "Defender Mode" are not much differences. The car was okay, but then comes the rest. Weapons
, what the heck shoud be weapons in KR. Laser and Grappeling Hook and other Stuff would be okay but Rocket Luncher and in 2009 a freakin PLasma Canon, what the freakin foooey... Its Viper Rider. The Plasma Rocket Luncher looks complete like Viper "Statik Impulse" only Biger. It comes out like Viper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrHCMwsX ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And what is wrong with the FLAG Central, looks like Viper Complex only bigger. You can use the Defender, make it in Black and give the Car a Scannerlight. Watch, transformation is same style:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x33xWETMtSM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And then the Storys, o man i was short before sleeping in. There are very good episodes, but most of them are so boring. Iam not wondering when they use writes that actualy writes for Soap Operas. And then the New Season, after the Viper Plasma Luncher now we have on the new KITT Police lights. What in the Name of heaven is that, Viper next generation.

Guys please, I have no problems with Mustang, no Problems with Actors. But every KR Fan has more fantasy then this. And what is that with the new KARR? Is that the Live version of Battletech. Iam for new Styles to but this show goes far away from the mean concept. PLease Guys, KARR belongs to the old series, not in the new and creation of new KARR KI its very silly. If you take a look on the new Version of BSG Battlestar Galactica, you see how a good Series could look like when you use the old style combined with new style. There wa a Chance to get KR 2008 on a very grown up look, but after that what happend and what I see its over and dont forget what problems Ford become after that deal.

I hope to see bedder stuff soon, if not all the KR Fans are have more problems to get the original series in a good mood up. Team Knight Rider was silly to, but KR 2008 its not the meanwork. When this show crashed then we have a Problem. When you talk about in the uture of Knight Rider everybody says: "Its that show with the silly car and the silly actors what looks like Viper" and everybody forgot how good the original was. It hurts my feelings what they do. And then the other mistakes, no good dashboard and Wilam Daniels Voice is missing to. Iam sorry but if the show stays like that..... :roll: And now they remove all the old Actos what we like, hell good night :roll: :roll: :roll:
There's nothing worse than a smart-ass automobile

KnightINSTINCT
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightINSTINCT » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:13 pm

The only part of your bash rant I kind of support still is the return of KARR. But how it comes off today vs. yesterday (like, back back in the day), is that the acronyms KARR and KITT have become more of a designated classification for identification.

Here is how I read posts regarding the comparisons of Knight Rider to Viper or Battlestar: there were once two tv shows depicting how dysfunctional families work miraculously under the context of greed, one was Married With Children, and the other was Unhappily Ever After. Then there is shows with tight friends, like Friends and How I Met Your Mother.

Im going to keep going on here, just to give you an example of how useless the rant of KR compares to Viper really is..

California Dreams was just like Saved By The Bell

LL Cool J's In Da House was like Will Smith's Fresh Prince

LA Law is like The Practice

Snorks are like Smurfs

American Dad is like Family Guy

Dateline is like 20/20

All That is like You Can't Do That On Television

The OC is like 90210

I Dream Of Jeannie is like Bewitched

CSI is practically Law and Order SVU

And Viper is basically STREET HAWK!

Can we just drop that whole subject that KR08 is a total ripoff of something else, please?

Pretty please?

.......please?

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:29 pm

Unhappily Everafter.... Mmm... Nikki Cox before the awful cosmetic surgery and frighteningly skinny *drools*.. IIRC Unhappily Everafter was created by one of the creaters of MWC and had some of the same writers.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:29 pm

My criticism is more on the focus of the story lines. This new show focuses on the human relationships rather than the (nearly) indestructible car. People like TOS because they like to see Kitt being indestructible. Every week we saw bullets bouncing off Kitt, Turbo boost, smashing through walls, Kitt driving himself and coming to the rescue.

Even the incidental parts of the old show where about Kitt interacting with strangers, We often saw people startled that the car was talking to them, or that it was driving by itself. Those incidentals went a long way to reinforcing the idea that Kitt was unique, special.. a super-car.

This new show is about the people that make Kitt work.. not about Kitt doing the work and that, I think, is where the show falls over.. it needs to be all about the car.
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ghidorah15
Rookie

Post by ghidorah15 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:36 pm

I don't think it's fair to claim that TOS was "all about KITT". If anything, it was "all about KITT and Michael". Theirs was the central relationship. And yes, there was a lot of emphasis on KITT's being one of a kind (which played into the first KARR episode, "Trust Doesn't Rust"), but it wasn't *just* about him being indestructible and uber-cool. He was one half of a partnership--and Michael was the other half. I think the biggest problem of the new series has been its emphasis on elements other than the central relationship of those two partners in crime-fighting. Fortunately, that seems to be changing as of late, and the "reboot" promises to focus much more on Michael and KITT. So, fingers crossed.

cdoyle
Volunteer

Post by cdoyle » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:38 pm

I'm new the forum, but always been a fan of Knight Rider, was one of my favorite shows as a kid.

I've been watching the new series, and it has so much potential, but the writers are just missing every one of the points that could make this show really good.

The first is, they just seem to be ignoring anything that happened from the end of the original series, and this new one. They need to at least attempt to tie the 2 shows together, that way old fans will be entertained and new fans will at least know something about the old show, and how it relates to what they are watching now.

Next, what I always like about the old show was the little things they did with KITT. For example when he needed to drive himself, we almost always saw the shifter shift itself into Drive, and the gas peddle go down and the little lights light up the further it went down. As a kid, I thought that was so cool and it reinforced that KITT was in control of himself.

Another example would be the scanner, watching the old show. KITTs scanner to me did more then just scan, but it also sort of let you know what state KITT was in. When it was going slow across, he wasn't just scanning but was also thinking and taking in data of his surroundings in a more relaxed state. But when it was going back and forth really fast, it meant that he was excited or anxious, or in pursuit. So you could relate to KITT emotions more, by just seeing how that scanner was moving. I don't see this in the new show, actually the way the scanner is you can't see the individual lights anymore, which I think really takes away from the scanner.

I think the next miss would be the actual display inside the car, the old KITT when he talked the little lights moved with his voice, and we saw it a lot in the show. Again, it helped the viewer relate to KITT to more then just a car. The new series has that snow globe thing in the dash, that really doesn't do anything that I can tell. I think this was a big miss this new show. I think an updated version of the old display would have been a ton better.

I also think the new show is a turn off to parents too, enough with writing scenes just to give an excuse for the cast to take their clothes off. The very first episode, KITT gets hit with a rocket and is on fire. Oh it's too hot we have to remove our clothes!! Or it's so cold, we need to remove our clothes to stay warm in the next episode.
If I was a parent, I wouldn't let my kids watch this show to be honest. With all the sexual innuendos that seem to happen in pretty much every episode it's just not appropriate for younger viewers. I'm not saying make it a kiddie show, but they are just going to far with it now and it takes away from what the show is suppose to be about.

So I'm really hopping the reboot that is suppose to happen, they address at least some of these points and get the show back on track, before it's too late :(