Does KI3T need a mobile command center?

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

lunchmeat
FLAG Recruit

Does KI3T need a mobile command center?

Post by lunchmeat » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:50 am

I've been thinking about this a bit. In KR 2008, they've currently got the SSC, which is a highly advanced station capable of providing KI3T with repairs and diagnostics. However, KI3T has nanotechnology that repairs any broken or damaged parts....so in the retool of the new series, would KI3T need to visit a mobile command center in every episode?

In the original series, KITT would visit and Bonnie would do a checkup, recalibrate some parts, give him an upgrade, whatnot. It was almost believeable, for that series, that Bonnie could do all the necessary work on KITT (and in such short time, too!) without any extra help or technology. However, now that we've been catapulted to the 21st century, I don't think a mobile command center would really cut it, considering KI3T's tech capabilities and his overall attributes. Further, he can repair himself.

What do you guys think? I'm not sure that it would make sense for KI3T to return to some type of mobile center in every episode, as it just wouldn't make that much sense. I think it'd work better if it was every once in a while, for new programming features or for really large repairs, like "stabilizing the nanomatrix" or something ridiculous like that.

I suppose I also say this because I'd like to see Mike Traceur be a lot more autonomous, and I'd like to see him find his own problems and solutions instead of being given a mission in every episode. What do you guys think?
If I am destroyed... ...so shall you be. -KARR

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Does KI3T need a mobile command center?

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:30 am

Probably not but it beats going back to the SSC every episode and it can keep characters somewhat close by instead of again, going back to the SSC so much and cut down on wasted time in doing so. The mobile unit could be used for the minor repairs that KITT can't fix as well being used to introduce some minor upgrades while major fixes and upgrades would require the SSC and the resources there. The only thing is that the set was so expensive that I think they need to keep using it to justify the cost of building it.

For all we know, it might be another casualty of the change of direction..
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Charlie Brown
Recruit

Post by Charlie Brown » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:26 pm

I honestly don't see why you can't have both...er...all 3 bases (Cave, Plane, Semi) in the series.

This is a pure guess; feel free to criticize me or chime in:

The main reason KR2008 hasn't used a Semi for a mobile command center was size. Cars nowadays are wider than cars were back in the '80s. Maybe they just couldn't find a Semi wide enough to house KI3T (and still allow Mike and passengers to open the doors and get out)...? In addition, modifying a Semi to get around this restriction may make the vehicle unsafe for street use...? Or, more simply, ruin the suspension of disbelief (the wider Semi wouldn't fit inside one lane of road)...?

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:14 pm

I'm sure that is an issue though they could always go with a bit of "TV Magic" like they did in the original series with how the Semi set was significantly wider than the actual trailer. I might be wrong but the width shouldn't be too much of an issue as there's not really a lot of difference from the specs I just read, the GT500KR is only a about two inches wider. Obviously, they're not going to actually be shooting since the semi, especially while it's moving.

Besides that, they do these sort of things in controlled environments so the potential risk shouldn't be too high or any higher than it was 26 years ago. Only thing is that I dunno if the Semi would really be needed now.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

BlueChaos
FLAG Recruit

Post by BlueChaos » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:35 pm

Well, I don't know if the Semi is needed, but as what others say, I agree that it's ridiculous to see KITT going back to the Cave again and again and we keep seeing those shots of KITT entering the Warehouse every episode (sometimes even twice per episode). Maybe not a semi, but some kind of a mobile base. Ask FORD if they got something big enough to handle that.
"If Darth Vader had a KITT bathroom, then he would have ruled the galaxy far far away since a long long time ago..." *LASER!* :good:

lunchmeat
FLAG Recruit

Post by lunchmeat » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:26 pm

I know that not many people seemed to be down with the plane idea.....but I'd love it just so one time, KI3T could actually turbo boost INTO the plane. Something like...

--------------

KITT: "Michael, I am receiving a transmission from the carrier. However, my sensors indicate that our current trajectory ends in 1641 meters."

Zoe, Billy, or operator, onscreen: "Mike, they're on your tail - we can't bring the plane down, or they'll take out our landing gear."

Mike: "We're running out of road - we've gotta do something fast! Look, bring the plane as close to the road as you can."

operator: "What? Mike, flying that low will leave us vulnerable --"

Mike: "Just do it! We don't have a choice."

*Plane comes close to road level, say 5 or 6 meters above the road surface. Note that this is happening at like, 90+ mph. :D *

Sarah: *in passenger seat* "Mike, you can't possibly be thinking..." *looks at him* "No. Mike. No! You can't possibly --"

Mike: *interrupts* "Not now, Sarah! Hold on. KITT, line us up behind the carrier! Guys, open the hatch."

KITT: "Michael, you are planning to use the turbo boost to enter the carrier. This would require floating-point calculations of current velocity, wind speed, and drag to calculate a trajectory. The odds of a successful landing are --"

Mike: "KITT, spare me the details. Are we in place?"

KITT: "Yes."

Sarah: "Mike, you're crazy."

*road is rapidly ending in a sheer cliff (of course)*

Mike: "KITT, turbo boost, NOW!"

*KITT flies off the cliff in full turbo-boost style, and enters the plane....he takes out a few pieces of expensive equipment and brakes hard once inside the carrier. Pursuers are forced to stop in their tracks. Carrier flies away.*

*Mike and Sarah look at the scattered debris from the equipment that they hit on the way in, which is everywhere....additionally, there's some smoke coming from a piece of damaged hardware. Sarah gives Mike the look.*

Mike: *receiving the look, glancing around* "Not so bad."

-------

Ehh, I dunno. I'm at work, what can I say - my mind is elsewhere. But seriously, how cool would that be? I'd totally geek out for that...I'd be on the edge of my seat. I'm basically a 22-year-old kid. It's a shame that it'll probably not happen.
If I am destroyed... ...so shall you be. -KARR

My_Friend_KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by My_Friend_KITT » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:43 pm

Lunchmeat, that sounds fun and dramatic. I love it. Maybe we will see it in Season 2.
That is a computer not a sofa.......Knight of the Drones

A firsthand viewer of Knight Rider '08!
And I LOVED it!