Whos got the $$ to have a 3000 Replica!!

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

MR2NR
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Whos got the $$ to have a 3000 Replica!!

Post by MR2NR » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:05 pm

I am curious if any individual has bought the new KR just for making it a replica?
K.R.A.M. Knight Reformulation Automated Machine 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo.

To the people who made the Knight Rider Festival possible especially Paul Casey. Thank You! See you all and more in 2012 :kitt2:

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Re: Whos got the $$ to have a 3000 Replica!!

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:40 pm

Replica of what really? I mean, there isn't a whole lot to really do with the car other than adding a scanner and some snow globe thing. ;) I doubt there will ever be any sort of market for replicas like there are for the original KITT since there really isn't much there to do that would require special parts being made, aside from the scanner oh and I guess the underside shielding with the neons and KR. But over all, nothing that yells out "iconic", it's just (yeah just, heh) a Shelby GT500GT Mustang and has been an icon on its own for decades. If one were to make the Attack Mode for some reason then well that'd be different. I better stop now or I'll start rambling about the stock interior...

I dunno if anyone here has 80 grand to blow on a KR though you could dress up a GT for much less apparently.

Personally, I'd don't think I'd even be interested in making a original KITT replica as I'd rather have something "KITT inspired" (original KITT that is) and unique.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

GT500KR
FLAG Recruit

Post by GT500KR » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:37 pm

MR2NR wrote:I am curious if any individual has bought the new KR just for making it a replica?

who would be dumb enough to take a $90,000 Car to make it a Knight Rider car..........u can get a regular V6 GT mustang, buy the gt500 bumpers and a hood and the shelby wheels for like $35,000 total (Including the car)
"My wife asks me, why you do those burnouts? Well.....you do it for the kids, you know, Im not being immature. You just.....well you do it for the kids."
~Jay Leno

ex812
Recruit

Post by ex812 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:19 pm

I am looking for a 2005 0r 2006 GT now. I have seen them go for around 8-9K. A couple of GT bumpers, hood and paint job and scanner with be around another 4-5K.

DevonStyles
FLAG Recruit

Post by DevonStyles » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:19 am

Hate to say it but I woulden't waste my money on a Ford. I'm a trans am kinda guy. Might as well buy something fast from the start... :lol: :kittside:
edited by the good folks at knightrideronline

knightfever
Operative

Post by knightfever » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:54 am

GT500KR wrote:
MR2NR wrote:I am curious if any individual has bought the new KR just for making it a replica?

who would be dumb enough to take a $90,000 Car to make it a Knight Rider car..........u can get a regular V6 GT mustang, buy the gt500 bumpers and a hood and the shelby wheels for like $35,000 total (Including the car)
Using a regular GT with body mods would also be the best option since the KR is not street legal.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:30 am

Not street legal?? It's not like it's a closed track race car or an off road vehicle.. Unless you're referring to the Attack Mode or it just having a scanner. The scanner can always be turned off.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

GT500KR
FLAG Recruit

Post by GT500KR » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:03 pm

KR not street legal? what are u smoking? KR is soo street legal, if it wasnt street legal then ford dealers couldnt sell them at dealerships, u would have to get it through Ford, just like the FR500 <-- the race GT500 version.
"My wife asks me, why you do those burnouts? Well.....you do it for the kids, you know, Im not being immature. You just.....well you do it for the kids."
~Jay Leno

knightfever
Operative

Post by knightfever » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:57 pm

GT500KR wrote:KR not street legal? what are u smoking? KR is soo street legal, if it wasnt street legal then ford dealers couldnt sell them at dealerships, u would have to get it through Ford, just like the FR500 <-- the race GT500 version.
I'm certainly not smoking anything. I saw where a dealership was selling one on Ebay, and they had a disclaimer line that stated that the car was not street legal. It's very possible they were wrong.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:25 am

Sounds like a typical lame eBay marketing/sales ploy. :P

MR2NR
FLAG Recruit

Post by MR2NR » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:10 pm

Well I would think there would be a filthy rich hard core fan that would do this. The GT conversion is kinda tacky but value plausible but the biggest disadvantage is you wouldn't be able to go as fast :). I think that if someone did it right it would really be awesome as I doubt anybody would have the balls to use a real muscle car and not some 6k used mustang :). The movie car would be better with the LCD screen and wing. True there is not a lot to do to the series car but having a working Voice synth and the spit glovebox with the keyboard and medical kit still would be cool. Don't forget about the 3D Cad in the backseat :). Then you could buy the Flex, F-150, the Van, and the cop car and man what a show :). I wonder how many KITTS are real KR's anyways? I know there is at least one star car but do they just use body converted GT's in the stunt, film, and cage cars? I seen the vid where Sue rode around the parking lot in the slam brake car but I want to see a VIN :).

To the people who made the Knight Rider Festival possible especially Paul Casey. Thank You! See you all and more in 2012 :kitt2:

dag268
Rookie

Post by dag268 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:18 am

knightfever wrote:
GT500KR wrote:KR not street legal? what are u smoking? KR is soo street legal, if it wasnt street legal then ford dealers couldnt sell them at dealerships, u would have to get it through Ford, just like the FR500 <-- the race GT500 version.
I'm certainly not smoking anything. I saw where a dealership was selling one on Ebay, and they had a disclaimer line that stated that the car was not street legal. It's very possible they were wrong.
Yes the KR is very much street legal. What isnt street legal is the red light in the hood. I see them on the road every once in awhile. I have not gotten anything that says it is nor street legal. Im a police officer in Florida.

:kitt:

MR2NR
FLAG Recruit

Post by MR2NR » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:15 am

dag268 wrote:
knightfever wrote:
Yes the KR is very much street legal. What isnt street legal is the red light in the hood. I see them on the road every once in awhile. I have not gotten anything that says it is nor street legal. Im a police officer in Florida.

In Missouri if you have any red or blue light in the front of your car you can be ticketed for impersonating a emergency vehicle which is a pretty hefty fine + jail time if you actually pull someone over or speeding excessively but most people that get it are usually kids with neon who mouth the cop and go to court. Unless you are speeding or people are getting out of your way they usually don't charge you with it.

So if somebody has a red scanner on their car and says they are just taking KITT for a drive and are not disobeying any other law do you issue them a ticket or just tell them to turn it off?

I'm pretty lucky as most of the local cops know me and really like my car and I run it all the time but if I'm out of town I turn it off. Mine doesn't flash and is pretty hard too see from a distance. I would hate to deal with a state officer though as they pull people over just for not having a front plate uuggghhh.

dag268
Rookie

Post by dag268 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:17 am

In Florida its a criminal ticket, which means you see a judge to see how much the fine is. If you use the lights to gain the right of way or blow through an intersection( behavior usually exhibited by police, medical, fire ect vehicles) you go to jail.

Typically if its just kids goofing off, they dont get an attitude, and are not doing the above stated, I tell them to turn it off and let me leave before the turn it back on if they choose to. I also make clear to them the use is not allowed and they can go to jail...Usually that prevents them from getting around the corner and telling the next officer who pulls them over I said they could use it.

Knightfan82
Rookie

Post by Knightfan82 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:21 am

GT500KR wrote:

:shock: 90,000 Dollers?! They're worth that much?

I knew they'd be expensive but not THAT expensive! I think it's cheeper to do a TA KITT conversion.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:45 pm

I once asked Mark's Cutom Kitt how much would a conversion cost fully loaded and shipped to NY.He said 45k.Now which would you prefer an awesome dash,overhead console,lower console with noises and buttons gallore or a bubble to stare at and flick with your fingers from time to time.Then again riding in a black trans am without air conditioning working and seeing those lights could make you ahlucinate during those days where it tops over 100 degrees.Hey look,a tree to crash into lol.

MR2NR
FLAG Recruit

Post by MR2NR » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:41 pm

I don't know guys I'd kinda like the 540HP of the Mustang compared to the 190 of the TA I would sacrifice the buttons for the HUD :) and a updated vehicle :).

MikeBKnight
Rookie

Post by MikeBKnight » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:58 pm

I'd take a Marks Custom Kitts 1982 T/A replica any-day of the week over a GT500KR lookalike KITT.

Solid Snake
FLAG Recruit

Post by Solid Snake » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:27 am

I'd have a Mustang conversion anyday! The thing looks gorgeous.
Knight Rider, powered by Ford!

Avenger95
Operative

Post by Avenger95 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:40 pm

MR2NR wrote:
In Missouri if you have any red or blue light in the front of your car you can be ticketed for impersonating a emergency vehicle which is a pretty hefty fine + jail time if you actually pull someone over or speeding excessively but most people that get it are usually kids with neon who mouth the cop and go to court. Unless you are speeding or people are getting out of your way they usually don't charge you with it.

So if somebody has a red scanner on their car and says they are just taking KITT for a drive and are not disobeying any other law do you issue them a ticket or just tell them to turn it off?

I'm pretty lucky as most of the local cops know me and really like my car and I run it all the time but if I'm out of town I turn it off. Mine doesn't flash and is pretty hard too see from a distance. I would hate to deal with a state officer though as they pull people over just for not having a front plate uuggghhh.
Yeah same here. I talked to the sheriff here during the Ozark Empire Fair and he simply said to keep the scanner off unless parked or on private property. The only alternative to keep them legal was to make the scanner a brake light in the back, or if I got the KARR scanners and used them as turn signals/fog lights. He mentioned I wasnt the first person to ask about having a KITT in town, so I wonder if there are others around here I havent seen yet.
...... []Knight Avenger Guardian Enforcer[] ......

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Post by tamatt27 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:09 pm

ex812 wrote:I am looking for a 2005 0r 2006 GT now. I have seen them go for around 8-9K. A couple of GT bumpers, hood and paint job and scanner with be around another 4-5K.
I am going to get an 05+ black on black Mustang GT 5-speed within a month. I'll be getting the GT500 front bumper and hood, then a scanner...THEN go fast goodies! Where are you finding the Mustangs for that cheap? Most of the ones in my area (TX) are between 14-18K used.
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Harry Singh Jr.
Operative

Post by Harry Singh Jr. » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:56 pm

Well I have a GT500 But I'm not painting it or such. But it is a real fun to drive car.

vampire knight
Rookie

Post by vampire knight » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:18 pm

Well considering a "GT500KR" was used and not modified in any way on the exterior except for the scanner then it wouldn't be hard. Nevertheless I think anyone that owns a real GT500KR could care less about Knight Rider and probably bought it for the car alone and not as a fan of the new show.

As many have mentioned you don't need a real GT500 to make a replica, it's a replica after all. Us making KI2T replicas sometimes...corrections many times don't start with an 82 Trans Am.

Anwyays I made this post on the Registries a while back if anyone wants to delve into building their own KI3T. Even though I'm not a fan of the new show it might help. Granted this is for the "pilot" KI3T but a lot of it works for the current car. Oh and you can always get the center vox globe from Taoworm

In one of my insomnia filled nights back around when the pilot episode aired I tried to figure out all the stock parts you'd need to buy to replicate the pilot KR3K.

Some parts have obviously changed how the car looks now in the most recent episodes, but I just found this document in my harddrive while looking for something else and thought I'd post it up now. I didn't update the list to see if I found better parts like the seats but I did make sure to see if all the links worked.

As much as I despise the car I was bored. Here are all the parts you'd need to make a regular Mustang look like a GT500. I was curious how much it would cost in comparison to our replicas and got a little carried away.

So I guess if you have a Mustang laying around that you'd like to turn in to the pilot episode KITT (*cringe*) here is a good start.

Mustang Depot has nearly every part and for some you can just get it straight from Shelby or Ford. Or look around, a lot of the parts are sold in a lot of places on the net.

Mustang GT500 parts:

Wheels:

http://www.shelbyperformanceparts.com/S ... Wheel.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hood:

http://www.mustangdepot.com/OLC3/Exterior/hd.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seems that they have 3 very similar hoods
TF10024-A53
TF24-A52
TF10023-A44

I don't understand how that first one only fits the GT500 bumper though, which by the way you will need as well.

Front Bumper:

http://www.mustangdepot.com/OLC3/Exterior/bmp-frt.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KS-FO1000613R

Rear Bumper:

http://www.mustangdepot.com/OLC3/Exterior/bmp-r.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
M-17835-C

Also found at Shelby

That and a few Cobra emblems also found at Shelby and that is all you need to make it a GT500KR don't forget the stripe kit too. You can find that at Mustang Depot too.

For all that you're looking at about $3,300

Now if you want to do the Attack version I guess you'd need a few extra parts.

As far as off the shelf parts there aren't many.

The side scoops:

http://www.mustangdepot.com/OLC3/Exterior/sd-scoop.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The show ones are a bit boxier and stick out more, but the SS-950-70737 look pretty close. Although if you look at the movie one the scoops extend to the door and there are no door handles. Maybe take a few and cut the ends off to make a big long one.

Blackouts:

http://www.shelbyperformanceparts.com/S ... overs.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or Mustang Depot sells some as well

I can't find any flush quarter window side scoops that have the single inverted vent in them, but they don't seem too hard to make. Maybe modify these?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/flush-qua ... vents.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The front "armoured" grill insert is custom although seems fairly easy to fabricate.

The rocker panels/side skirts are also custom. These look kind of close:

http://www.grounddynamics.com/Templates ... lderId=670" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The front headlight bar thingies (that's the best description I can come up with. I have seen pictures of cars with the bar thingy without the part that extends to the side, just the bar for the headlights, but I can't find any places that sells them. However, contact GAS maybe?
http://www.galpinautosports.com/accessories.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Look at the red Mustang.

If not they don't look too hard to make either.

Spoilers:

Mis and match bases side plates and wings

http://www.grounddynamics.com/merchant/ ... _wings.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Look around, they're universal style wings. You can probably find them locally at a tuner shop or on eBay too.

For the interior

The wheel and as I mentioned a long time ago it looks to be a variation of the Millenium Evo, maybe the new version looks more like the show one and the one on the following link is an older wheel because the grips of the show wheel are slightly different.

http://www.momo.com/usa/products.php?id ... ct=28&l=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you look, the grips of the show one look like the grips of the Jet style with the Millenium Evo center.

http://www.momo.com/usa/products.php?id ... ct=20&l=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Aluminum dash kit:

http://www.mustangdepot.com/OLC3/Interior/dash.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You need some aluminum Mustang sill plates. Mustang Depot sells some Shelby ones, but the ones on the show car just said Mustang, I"m sure you can get those from a local Ford dealer.

Seat Belts:

At first glance I thought the seat belt harness on the car was an actual Sparco one, but it just seems they took some Sparco logos and stiched them to some OEM style belts. You can get some Sparco seatbelt pads or something. Or maybe it is a silver colored Sparco harness

http://www.sparcousa.com/harness_tuning.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

*FYI* If you do put a harness in your car make sure you put a harness bar in your car to attach the harness to. If just bolted to the floor or seats if you get in an accident it's bad news.

Everything else seems custom.

Seats:

I must have searched thousands of seats from Recaro, Cerullo, Bride, Sparco, Corbeau and cheap knock off ebay seats you etcetera you name it. I finally found the following Sparcos (I'm linking to the cheapest I found them)

http://www.saferacer.com/sparco-modena- ... ductid=786" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They're not even on the Sparco website. If you look closely at the following picture

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/2276 ... be7gt5.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You'll see that the top of the seat on the backside it looks a little rough. I think they took some Sparco Modena seats and cut the top portion off where the Sparco logo is and had them reupholstered. There are no other seats I found that had the same harness cutouts.

http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/4474 ... e0aop8.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If these are not the seats than I have no clue what else they can be as I literally must have looked at over a hundred pages and 10 or more brands of seats. I do have my doubts as the center stitch pattern is different than the ones I linked

What's up with the metallic thingies on the center stack?
http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/2882 ... ackti5.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Check out more pictures out here:

http://jalopnik.com/photogallery/kittbrooklyninterior1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Whatever they are it just seems they took some metal things and cut up the stock dash pretty bad.

Then the weird fiberglass thing in the middle of the back seats which is obviously custom.

Engine stuff.

Looks like they installed a Whipple roots style supercharger. You can get that here.

http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/pro ... rodID=1208" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's about it..I listed pretty much all the off the shelf parts you can get to start a pilot replica if you so dare choose.

slipheraz
Volunteer

Post by slipheraz » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:43 pm

I would say I would like both a KI2T and KI3T. I like them both, I've been a car fanatic since I was a kid and even though I was raised in a mostly Ford family my "flavor" of cars varies. Yes, I do love the Mustang and I'm happy to see it playing KITT in the new series. But, the orginal couldn't be beat, KI2T is one of the best screen cars in my book right next to the Delorean from Back to the Future.

Other cars that I'm a fan of are the Dodge Viper, Challenger, Charger, and the new Camero has my interest as well as various Ferraris (everyone likes a Ferrari :D ) only problem with these cars is that they dont really fit KITT, the way the Mustang has been protrayed and maybe its just me but the interaction between KITT and Mike and other actors in the new series it's hard to imagine KITT as something other than a Mustang in this series. But, like I said maybe it's just me.

So I'd say I would like to have a replica of both KITTs and live out the shadowy flight into the world of a man that does not exist in my daily life. :good: :kitt:

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:36 am

I would like to see a KI3T Replica Image :kitt: