Discussion on Pontiac appearance

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

knightriderfan80
Recruit

Discussion on Pontiac appearance

Post by knightriderfan80 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:17 am

Ok I am a little confused on something...

Let's say KI2T were to make an appearance or two on the show. And KARR as well as the old Trans Am.

My question is, could NBC or Ford forbid this from happening even though its no longer a production vehicle of another competitor of Ford?

Its been mentioned here and there of possible problems, but seriously do you think Ford will not allow this to happen? Do they realize that the original series was based off of a Trans Am and that it is essential that the Original vehicle makes an appearance?

I am just wondering how hard of a time Ford would give NBC to allow a cameo and hopefully some occasional appearances. Is Ford afraid that a 80's Pontiac no longer in production would potentially save this Ford based series? If so that is pretty sad that Ford and NBC couldn't work together to make the fans happy and not just themselves for product advertisement. I mean come on...I think everyone knows by now that Ford has advertised their whole product line in a series infomercial and I highly doubt people are going to go running for a Pontiac over Ford because of an 80's production model.

Faithful Car KRO
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Discussion on Pontiac appearance

Post by Faithful Car KRO » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:27 am

Although I dont think Ford would mind, it's all on Pontiac's hands. The producers can't use the Trans-Am without Pontiac's permission. And as I recall, Pontiac's been a bitch to KR since the show started, to the point where they show was no longer allowed to call KI2T a trans-am, which is why they started calling it a T-Top all the time.
For all we know NBC could be fighting to use the car, but Pontiac wont let 'em. It's too bad the staff cant just come out and answer all these questions.
I just find it funny everyone wants to blame NBC and Ford for no trans-am, when it always falls back to Pontiac themselves. I mean, they opted to not let KR08 use there cars for the show...
http://blogs.highperformancepontiac.com ... index.html
So I dont think people should do what they always do, blame KR08 and Ford, cause it was Pontiac's choice.....
Last edited by Faithful Car KRO on Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Michael, I agree with your earlier assessment, back-up plans suck."- KI3T
Put the word out!
WATCH THE SHOW!!!: Wed at 8:00pm on NBC.
Its getting better and gaining ratings, AWESOME!!

FordFilly82
Operative

Post by FordFilly82 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:29 am

LOL No kidding!
I think if the fans spoke loud enough, and if Ford *did* have concerns that that may make a difference.
I do know that all TOS KITT's were scrapped though I am sure there are enough replicas out there that NBC could use them if they wanted.

But i agree, It just wouldn't be right NOT to have K2 appear in original form...unless they do the STUPID thing again and he's stuck inside some kind of Classic junker like in Knight 2000. (shudders)
Cause believe it or not, I really think that Ki2t would still be viable now, just as he was 20yrs ago..
Efficient Morphing Mobile Autonomy
KITT: There are not enough hours in the day for me to list everything that confuses you.
Mike: Oh, snap!
Kitt: Yes, Micheal. Snap.

Petition #2507

knightriderfan80
Recruit

Post by knightriderfan80 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:07 am

Well, im thinking because NBC had a contract in the 80's with Pontiac to use their Trans Am that NBC still holds the rights to use the 80's models if they choose to do so.

Think of it this way. There are many television shows(Simpsons, Law and Order, ER, etc)that have been running for a long time. Let's say hypothetically, NBC had so much success in the 80's to keep Knight Rider TOS going up until now, 25 years later... with the same year car, the contract technically is still in effect as far as im concerned. Pontiac doesnt scrap the show, NBC does. So im thinking Pontiac has no say whether they can bring back the car that they already had permission by Pontiac under contract to use.

LT1Jeep
Stranger

Post by LT1Jeep » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:49 pm

From what i've read on camaro5.com (new 2010 camaro site) GM had a conflict with the Transformers movies since Bumblebee is a Camaro. I guess they couldn't let KR be one too. And since no 5th gen Trans-am exists, there really wasnt' an option.
of course if u search for 2011 transam, youll find renderings.... including some with KR influence.

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:54 pm

Neither company could stop them from doing it. (well I guess Ford could always threaten to cut funding, but they couldn't stop it for any other reason.)

First of all, the Trans Am is no longer in production. Second of all, the most recent Trans Am didn't look like that. Third of all, the old show did it right and didn't put any logos on KITT.

So if any of them would really bitch, just call it the 'black T-top' or avoid referring to it by what it is at all and there's nothing anyone could do to stop them in terms of something legal or copyrighted. NBC owns Knight Rider, so they can stick the car in whatever they want to.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:08 pm

The T/A was in the original movie so if it didn't stop them then, I don't think it'll stop them in the future either.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:34 pm

Well, contrary to popular belief, not every single car used in the new series is a Ford. The other vehicles K.I.T.T. morphs into certainly are, but not every background car. In fact, you can see a Dodge Viper at the Vegas hotel in the most recent episode, for example. I very much doubt this would be an issue at all, especially since Pontiac never wanted to be associated with the show in the first place, hence the lack of logos and "black T-top" references.

The only potential issue I see is getting William Daniels to return, regardless of if he provided the voice for the Mio G.P.S. or not. K.I.T.T. was a role that Daniels originally thought he could do as more or less a side gig while he did St. Elsewhere, and thought that nobody would ever recognize him. But I do hope that since he did voice work for the G.P.S. that he'd be open minded to reprise his character for the new series, too. We'll see.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Glissard
Recruit

Post by Glissard » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:07 am

Keyword "Replica"

Wait a sec. There was a KITT back in the 80's!? Well why build a KITT car out of an $80k Mustang when I could go buy an old Trans Am for $5k. Ford would love to hear that. "Damn you GM, you win this round, again."

KidlovingKitt
Recruit

Post by KidlovingKitt » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:55 am

I hate the new car.Kift was alot better than this Mustang(although Mustang's black color is better),and "old" Kitt was best.

I really can't understand how some people like the new car.The new car doesn't look good.Seems like some people think that they can buy a Mustang and so they have a car like the new Kitt.But Mustang does NOT look good.

They should made the series with Kift years ago.It would be a much greater series then this new series.

Renegade94
Recruit

Post by Renegade94 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:34 am

KidlovingKitt wrote:I hate the new car.Kift was alot better than this Mustang(although Mustang's black color is better),and "old" Kitt was best.

I really can't understand how some people like the new car.The new car doesn't look good.Seems like some people think that they can buy a Mustang and so they have a car like the new Kitt.But Mustang does NOT look good.

They should made the series with Kift years ago.It would be a much greater series then this new series.

Here is yet again another Mustang Hater, I was hoping we were really past this by now! I think the car looks awesome and how can you even say that the new Mustang does not even look good? KITT is now a Mustang and the new show will be great after re-boot so get over it! :good:
"KITT keep your eyes peeled" Michael
"Michael I do not have eyes" KITT
"Figure of speech KITT" Michael
From Knight In Shining Armor

DeeKnight
Operative

Post by DeeKnight » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:49 am

^^ Well said!

GT500KR
FLAG Recruit

Post by GT500KR » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:16 am

the mustang is awesome, the car looks great in person, the black on black is sweet.

probably that guy wants a stupid rice burner as KITT.

Cant complain KITT is a mustang, blame Pontaic/GM not offering a car for the show.
"My wife asks me, why you do those burnouts? Well.....you do it for the kids, you know, Im not being immature. You just.....well you do it for the kids."
~Jay Leno

knightfever
Operative

Post by knightfever » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:50 am

At least this isn't another thread titled "KITT should have been a Camaro." I personally love the GT500KR. I even like the attack version, I just with it had another function besides making the car look different. Overall, I like every aspect of the new Knight Rider. I would like a little, well, a lot less sexual innuendo and skin and a lot more Mike and KITT.