Live Discussion Thread: I Wanna Rock & Roll All Knight

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Re: Live Discussion Thread: I Wanna Rock & Roll All Knight

Post by NeoRanger » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:13 am

bson wrote: You think this show is 95% perfect and you like this more than the original? Are you kidding me? If you are 22, you weren't even around when the original was on. Watching repeats of a show before your time doesn't qualify you to bash the original. If you had watched the original series when if had first aired, you would have understood how groundbreaking this show was at the time. Everything was so cool and original with things you hadn't seen before. What is original about KR08? Don't get me wrong, I want the show to succeed, but it is nowhere near the kind of show the original was when it aired in the early 80's. The new show is more like 50% of it's potential and the dropping ratings would argue my point. They have a lot to change about this show which is why they are cutting cast and changing directions. I just wonder how it is that you call yourself the Knight Rider guy when you put down the original and state how nearly perfect the new show is when it hasn't even had a whole season yet and is plagued with problems.

Ehm... calm down? He didn't bash TOS and I'm pretty sure, much as you and I may not share his opinion, it's perfectly fine to like the new show more than the original.

Seriously, what's with the 'tude?

J.A.L
Volunteer

Post by J.A.L » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:53 am

KnightINSTINCT wrote:
bson wrote:
pheonix_knight wrote:I'm just looking forward to the next episode but i think they should change their demographic age range to incorporate younger viewers, like the old show...

Excuse me, but I thought that they were already catering to an audience of 12 year olds. They need to drop all the sillyness and get more serious, not regress even further.
Ya, well, I don't believe kids are really buying into this show. If you're into fantasy, like we are, then the show is for you. My little brother digs the wow factor, yet hates Knight Rider for the way it's done. He texted me out of the blue last Saturday after watching the show at a friends house on how gay he thought the way it was all done. He bitched on the acting.....of course, right? Honest to God truth here, kids won't dig it just because it's fun. I confessed to him that this is just something I grew up with since I was a toddler, and that is maybe the reason why I still like it now.

Just to sum things up here, I really really hope they don't lower the bar any more than they have. If they make this into a pure kiddy show, I might have to give it up like I did when MTV went into the gutter during the early mid 90's.
amen to that brother

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Knight-Armen » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:09 am

KnightINSTINCT - Gee! Perhaps we should recommend NBC to replace GST for your kid! He seems to know what he's talkig about, hehehehe...
Michael: Kitt what matters to me is who you are not what you look like. Sure we don't have the car so we can't turbo boost so we can't go over 200 miles an hour but it was all icing on the cake anyway

KAISER
Volunteer

Post by KAISER » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:25 pm

I hope this entire first season will be the second "longest" pilot to the second season. :)
I am the Knight Artificial Intelligence for Stealth Espionage Rover. KAISER, if you prefer.

bson
Volunteer

Post by bson » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:48 pm

I read a story from the Ain't It Cool News website that David Hasselhoff would become a regular on the second season of Knight Rider, if there is to be a second season. As far as his other shows and movies, I never watched much just to see Hasselhoff. As Michael Knight, nobody was better suited for the roll than Hasselhoff. I think this would be a boon for the ratings if the show has a second season. That is a big if. While fans on this forum have argued the point of how the show is doing, the reality is that it is doing poor. People, who are not fans, but are just tuning in for something to watch have not been impressed and the ratings have been very poor. I'm suprised the show is still on and being given a second chance with cast and script changes. NBC has been very quick to pull the plug on new shows in the last few years and the fact that Knight Rider is still airing is a surprise to many. Maybe us fans have a guardian angel. I just hope they get their act together before it's too late. Mediocre episodes like last weeks show just won't cut it.

My_Friend_KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by My_Friend_KITT » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:28 pm

Hi everyone...Went on vacation secure in the knowledge that my VCR would record this weeks KR. On Wed. had plans to see it but family wanted to eat instead. So when Sat. came around I made it clear that I was going to be watching the Wed. rerun of KR. I had even convinced my Mom to check it out with me. (She's been adamently against the new KR.) Boy was I surprised to see Hard Days Knight rerun. I still made her watch. :D But I was still excited that I had recorded the R & R All Knight at home. Wouldn't it figure? Sometime on Tues. the power went out at home (maybe just a surge). It was enough to knock out my VCR. :cry: I was not meant to see this episode. I did finally catch it on nbc and like many of you have said this did not seem as high caliber as previous episodes. I was kind of glad my mom got to see Hard Days Knight instead.

#1) I was thinking that Mike was gonna throw the bomb in Kitt's trunk and watch the smoke suction out.

#2) I also didn't understand why they did not just call the authorities to collect the girl when she "defected". Mike was suspious of her intentions.

#3) I would have loved for KITT to have had the ejector seat in the end scene. Do like the robbers, drive them to the cops and eject them out onto the cop cars. All the writing team would have had to do was put Ravai in KITT's back seat and enjoy the view. :lol:
That is a computer not a sofa.......Knight of the Drones

A firsthand viewer of Knight Rider '08!
And I LOVED it!

Crumbling Down
FLAG Recruit

Post by Crumbling Down » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:27 pm

When Michael was chasing Bonnie and Clyde there was a car wreck that Michael and Kitt had to swerve around, I thought that would have been a great opportunity for a turbo boost.
Booonnnnnzzzzaaaaaiii!!!!!!!! As michael turbo boosts to score the extra point. His face is so funny when he yells this and when he hits turbo boost his eyes get huge and he flies back into the seat

Faithful Car KRO
FLAG Recruit

Post by Faithful Car KRO » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:05 am

bson wrote: You think this show is 95% perfect and you like this more than the original? Are you kidding me?
No I'm not kidding you.
I love this show. It grabs my attention, i love the writing, the actors are doing a great job, the CGI effects are amaing with the money and time contraints they have, and I think GTS really gets what this show needs to be. We're not in the 80s anymore, things change.
If you are 22, you weren't even around when the original was on. Watching repeats of a show before your time doesn't qualify you to bash the original. If you had watched the original series when if had first aired, you would have understood how groundbreaking this show was at the time. Everything was so cool and original with things you hadn't seen before.
Oh wow, I didnt see it in it's original run because I wasnt alive. You're using that against me? Wow.
Sorry if I was born 11 days after the last episode aired. I guess that means I cant be a fan of it. I guess I cant watch ST:TOS or 60s Batman or Get Smart or anything before 86.
And, if you must know. My grandmother was a huge fan of the show before she died. She actually watched the original run. My first memories are of me and my grandmother watching the episodes show taped, which she taped all of them. "KITT," from what my mom has said, was the 3rd word I said cause the show was always on the TV. KR:TOS will always hold a special place in my heart cause it reminds me of my granny.
And when did I bash the show? Please for the love of KI3T quote my "bash" and put it here so I can see it.
When I click submit I will have 6 replys in this thread, and none of those bash the show. I even just went back through and checked.

What is original about KR08?.
What's original about most things on TV these days. Most of everything's already been done. It's hard to be original now.
KR08 takes little things from things that came before it. Big deal, everyone does that.

Don't get me wrong, I want the show to succeed, but it is nowhere near the kind of show the original was when it aired in the early 80's. The new show is more like 50% of it's potential and the dropping ratings would argue my point. They have a lot to change about this show which is why they are cutting cast and changing directions
Neither was the original. It took time to build up and get better. The concept was great for it's time, but the production was filled with all sorts of 80s problems. Although there was no CGI like we have now in the 80s, and people complain about the green sqeen effects for KR08, sometimes the practical effects and stunts in the 80s weren't completely perfect either. New shows dont really get alot of money at the begining, and must work with what they have.
Plus I'm sure GST wrote out the top 3 paid actors on the show so they could do more practical stunts and better effects. I bet the whole "reboot" (which i'm sure isnt, i had theorys all along they were gonna kill off the ssc somehow) is just GST's way of getting the show more money.

And ratings are dropping all over the place on TV, plus look at what we've been up against lately. Plus the week they yanked it for the Obama thing, they really didnt do much advertising to remind people it was still there. And also remember the fact the show was picked up for a full season 3 weeks ago, and the ratings from last weeks were up from the week before that. Which is the week they really didnt advertise alot that KR would be on again...

And another thing about the reboot, they had already written the "reboot" episode before the season had even premiered, which is another indication that the whole SSC is part of a story arc that make's Mike go out on his own with KI3T.

I just wonder how it is that you call yourself the Knight Rider guy when you put down the original and state how nearly perfect the new show is when it hasn't even had a whole season yet and is plagued with problems.
Again I will ask you to quote where I put the show down and bashed it.
And we are on different opinions of this show. I like it, you dont. Ok?
Am I not allowed to like it or something because you think it sucks? Wow. That's, really...you know, lame and childish. And you're older than me right?
I like it cause it appeals to my generation...like i said, my friends dont care for the original but they love this show. Maybe the old one will grow on them because of this one. And in some cases they do ask me questions about the original so they can get a feel for this show, since i'm the KR knowitall of the group. My friends love the car, they think Zoe and Sarah are hot, they love it when Billy mentions Warcraft (my friends are gamers) and they're really intrigued with the whole Mike-doesnt-know-his-past story and exciting to see a KAcRRe VS KI3T episode soon.
"Michael, I agree with your earlier assessment, back-up plans suck."- KI3T
Put the word out!
WATCH THE SHOW!!!: Wed at 8:00pm on NBC.
Its getting better and gaining ratings, AWESOME!!

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:44 am

bson wrote:Everything was so cool and original with things you hadn't seen before. What is original about KR08?
The concept of a talking car helping to fight crime in the 80's was new and unique. It had not been done before. Since then, KITT and the concept of a talking car has turned into a cultural icon in the US and the subject of imitation and parody. Any sequel series will automatically start off as "not original" just by virtue of it being a show about a talking car helping to fight crime. To me, calling it "unoriginal" is not a criticism, it's just an obvious statement of fact.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:44 pm

goldbug wrote:
bson wrote:Everything was so cool and original with things you hadn't seen before. What is original about KR08?
The concept of a talking car helping to fight crime in the 80's was new and unique. It had not been done before. Since then, KITT and the concept of a talking car has turned into a cultural icon in the US and the subject of imitation and parody. Any sequel series will automatically start off as "not original" just by virtue of it being a show about a talking car helping to fight crime. To me, calling it "unoriginal" is not a criticism, it's just an obvious statement of fact.
Even if it's unoriginal,you can still make it better by trying to make it good in other areas.Take Pixar movie for an example.Anthropomorphism is a thing that's used a lot,but they do things to make it work.NBC *can* do that if they fix things,especially plot wise.
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9