ATTACK K.I.T.T.

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

J.A.L
Volunteer

ATTACK K.I.T.T.

Post by J.A.L » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:36 pm

Does anyone know why they change attack k.i.t.t to that mad max car? :dash:

KnightINSTINCT
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: ATTACK K.I.T.T.

Post by KnightINSTINCT » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:11 am

Who knows? But I'll say that they aren't doing a hell of a lot to impress us while KITT is in the mode. I think it was Knight Of the Hunter where KITT speeds along the highway in normal mode, and in that episode we see KITT really haul some ass! Attack Mode is just suppose to tell us, HE'S SUPPOSE TO BE GOING REALLY FAST NOW....and we don't really feel the speed.

They've so far failed with Attack KITT, in my book. :?

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:26 am

Yeah, I have to agree. There is a terrible lack of feeling anything is going fast in the show. I'm almost yearning for the days of the cheesy speeding up film effect that was used in the original series and abused when SPM was introduced.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:59 am

I was for the Attack Mode when the show started, but even I will admit that so far it's been pretty much wasted opportunity. I can only assume that they're a bit too scared of ruining the car, with all the customization it's gone through, but still. Maybe they should consider just keeping it for very special occasions, when they will actually be able to use it right.

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:47 am

I think the problem with Attack mode is - we have no idea why it differs from "normal" mode other than physical appearance (and possibly turbo boost). Generally the audience wants to be able to be "in the story" and participate somehow. In this case, if we knew exactly what KITT could do in normal mode vs. Attack Mode, we'd be able to look at situations and go "Oh, I bet he's going to have to go into Attack mode now to handle this!" Instead, half the time I'm not sure if he's going to transform or not because I'm not sure if he needs to or not. He has weapons in both forms, he can go super fast in both forms - so what's the difference other than a funky appearance? So far, only turbo boost - and GST mentioned at Comic-Con that KITT can do that in normal mode.

I hope in time (perhaps as part of the reboot) we get clarification on this. I *like* the concept of an Attack mode and I'm one of the minority of fans who actually enjoys the transformations, but even I get confused at times as to whether KITT actually needs to transform or not.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

Garthe Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Garthe Knight » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:55 am

The whole idea behind the attack mode is dumb.
KITT is supposed to be a super car, and I really loved it in KotH when KITT speeded in his normal mode. Because that shows that KITT can do those things.
If he has to transform for every action he does, his normal mode is useless. But since he can speed and (assumably) can turbo boost the whole attack mode is needless.

And this is true for nearly every mode KITT used so far. What does KITT do most of the time?! It's not ski-mode, not turbo boost, not crashing through things. It's driving. And you should think the normal Mustang should be able to drive, even if the road is a little bumpy.
So in my opionion all these different modes don't make sense, since the normal version should be able to do all this.

Instead of showing us transformation after transformation without any reason, do some real stunts, turbo boost and such stuff with the normal car, give it a more special interiour and I am happy.

Credability is the keyword. And you only get this when people understand, WHY something is done.

K2000kid
Operative

Post by K2000kid » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:57 pm

Attack mode needs to make me feel he's topping 300 mph on a long stretch
even if its recycled go out to the desert with a camera crew
and just shoot the attack mode car running like 120 or so for a few miles
then digitally speed it up and use it in the series when he needs attack mode
all i see is KITT weaving in and out of traffic doing 100 according to the HUD
My Taurus does 100 mph, Cmon guys lets think Supercar
the speed element is nill and needs to be addressed
Theres no reason for increased volume, I'm scanning your interogitives quite satisfactorilly.

J.A.L
Volunteer

Post by J.A.L » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:14 pm

I rather se the attack k.i.t.t. from the backdoor pilot than see mad max car

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:40 pm

What perplexes me is since KITT3K is technically classified they want to limit Attack Mode as much as possible, like it's like flying a classified stealth plane in broad daylight or something. Todays highways are filled with that kind of tuner crap so I don't think anyone would notice. If anything SPM would definitely turn heads in 1986 but they used it all over the place.

SPM and all it's glamor is what signaled the end of the original show. I think it's kinda bad juju to start right off the bat with that kind of non-sense. It's just added "gee-whiz" factor and eye candy for the Ritalin generation.
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

TheGunheart
Volunteer

Post by TheGunheart » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:25 am

Visuallly, I like it, but in terms of actual use, it's completely pointless. Personally, I'd endure really bad, obvious CGI effects just as long as it actually DID SOMETHING in that mode.

VirginiaKnight
Stranger

Post by VirginiaKnight » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:09 pm

I would have to agree with Gunheart. I would say it's visually pleasing, but in terms of practicality it really falls short. Kudos to GST and the team at NBC to come up with something that kids these days could get into, given the growing popularity of the "new" Transformers franchise, but as for the die hard KR fans from the 80's, it really is kind of cheesy. Even the 2008 "Pilot" episodes transformation made more sense, keeping with the "increase aerodynamics" idea that came with SPM in the original series. But blue undercarriage lights and a 4 foot spoiler?..... Good idea in theory, but they should have hired someone besides a 16 year old import car tuner to design this particular mode of KI3T.

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:37 pm

Yeah I like the transformations too, and apart from the rims I also like Attack Mode, but I wholeheartedly agree with you guys...I have no idea what it changes. It doesn't seem to make him go any faster, but it might, who knows, they won't show us any damn chase scenes!! A Hard Day's Knight came the closest with the parking garage chase and it was excellent, but it still didn't seem like they did anything that they couldn't have done if KITT were in normal mode.

And not to beat the dead horse, but as you said, K2000kid, snippets of weaving in and out of traffic does NOT count as a chase sequence. The people in the SSC need to stop ****ing calling him when he's in pursuit and let us a watch a damned chase sequence.

Again, watch the Camaro chase in A Nice Indecent Little Town, we see everything that happens, everything is choreographed, Devon doesn't call in the middle of it, they use both ski mode and one of the coolest jumps in the series. And as if that weren't enough, the very same episode has ANOTHER chase scene at the end with KITT driving (with ANOTHER Turbo Boost)! Am I the only one who's a little confused?
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"