NBC Killed My Own Worst Enemy

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

BlueChaos
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

NBC Killed My Own Worst Enemy

Post by BlueChaos » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:35 am

Source: http://tv.ign.com/articles/929/929670p1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That was fast. NBC has cancelled My Own Worst Enemy after just four episodes, says the Hollywood Reporter. Enemy, starring Christian Slater, came into the season with a lot of hype, and while reviews were mixed, the show certainly had its fans – including some here at IGN. However, the ratings had been declining since the premiere, hitting a new low this past Monday, which lead to NBC pulling the plug.

My Own Worst Enemy had Heroes as a lead in, and while Heroes' own ratings may be down, they're still notable on NBC's overall weak schedule – and what hurt Enemy even more was its failure to retain Heroes' audience. This past Monday, 7.82 viewers watched Heroes (which gives it the distinction of being yet another record low for that show's dwindling audience), while My Own Worst Enemy had only 4.3 million viewers right after it.

What's not clear is whether My Own Worst Enemy will be pulled from the schedule immediately or not – the show is currently shooting its ninth episode, which will be its last.

Also cancelled by NBC, per the Reporter, is Lipstick Jungle, which also had seen increasingly low ratings. That show has shot its entire Season 2 order of 13 episodes.
So, it seems that NBC cancelled two of its shows. Let's hope Knight Rider doesn't come next. My Own Worst Enemy seems to have better reviews and some established fans following it but NBC dropped it anyway. But with the later reboot, it seems like NBC is still giving Knight Rider a chance. Who knows until when NBC's patience will last?
"If Darth Vader had a KITT bathroom, then he would have ruled the galaxy far far away since a long long time ago..." *LASER!* :good:

Knight4life
Operative

Re: NBC Killed My Own Worst Enemy

Post by Knight4life » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:07 am

NBC is giving KR a chance,i request GST to take this incident (cancelling of my own worst enemy) seriously.Otherwise the network guys will pull the plug anytime they want.It is time they need to come up with good story lines and entertaining action sequences.Else the consequnces will be very severe.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:27 am

Uh oh... I know someone here that won't be happy... :shock:

I still haven't managed to get around to watching this week's episode or the one before it. The show just hasn't been "Must See TV" for me, same could be said about Fringe. Not surprised Lipstick Jungle got the ax, though I thought they would at least ride it out a little having just moved it to Friday. I guess they did it just to burn off the remaining episodes it has left. I think Heroes problem is again that they're doing way too much and trying way too hard to be interesting and being interesting doesn't equal abruptly killing off characters or making them lose their powers, that's just lazy. Not to mention what seems like a rather abrupt change from last the disappointing previous season. It likely didn't help that they had a roughly eight month lay off, NBC would have problem been wise to show reruns of season two over the summer. Then again, season two turned off a lot of people by just how much it sucked and dragged on and on and on.

I imagine even more critics are going to have their heads explode by the fact that Knight Rider is still alive.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

trissybabes
FLAG Recruit

Post by trissybabes » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:49 am

Thats's a shame - I thought the previews of it looked like it had some promise.

Still, from an earlier thread elsewhere here...

Knight316
Operative

Post by Knight316 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:23 am

That sucks. I really like that show. I thought it was the best they had in that slot since Studio 60. I don't know what they expect for a 10:00 slot really though.

roboknome
Stranger

Post by roboknome » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:31 am

I think they expect CSI Miami type rating still ashame the show had promise.

Luis
Rookie

Post by Luis » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:36 am

And Knight Rider endures :)

I tried to watch My Own Worst Enemy. But episode 2 was horrible and 3 seemed like a total waste of time. For all its faults, Knight Rider is much cheaper to make and much more fun to watch.

I firmly believe that Knight Rider survived because of:

a) Ford support (launch platform for the 2010 Mustang)
b) Ben Silverman (it's his pet project)
c) Escapism factor

Let's see today's rating numbers now... :)

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:58 am

Would NBC cancel a show they just renewed for an entire season? Or would they just ride it out? I guess it would depend on cost, but don't they have to pay for scripts, and pay actors for shooting 15 episodes, even if the show only goes 9 or something? What I mean is, if they had any plans whatsoever to axe Knight Rider, wouldn't they have done so before renewing the entire first season?

Luis
Rookie

Post by Luis » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:08 am

Sometimes networks do that and just launch a DVD instead. It's all about the ratings.

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:02 pm

So if it were to be cancelled, then they would cut it and when the DVD is released, they would include the unaired episodes?

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:05 pm

Whoa that's a shock! I was watching anyway. I guess if they are gonna fork out the big bucks they want results. Here is the original source.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/con ... ebe4c2d22f
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:13 pm

well, to be honest, it isn't fair to blame GST on everything. If NBC wanted to make Knight Rider a hit, they shoulda gave it a bigger budget to being with......It's a show about a car that can do anything, but can't do anything because NBC won't let it.

As for KR08's future....it is bleak.....I think it's fate is sealed.....and that it is truly a matter of time before NBC makes the cancellation announcement.

FordFilly82
Operative

Post by FordFilly82 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:08 pm

PHOENIXZERO wrote:Uh oh... I know someone here that won't be happy... :shock:
My thoughts exactly Zero! LOL
I heard the news ans was like, Oh man!! It sounded like it was good show, just didn't have the audience NBC wanted (yet another good show canned before its time)
And I say that not having seen any eps, so I could be wrong. But I was getting more and more interested. LOL

Thanks alot Knox! :P LOL LOL
Efficient Morphing Mobile Autonomy
KITT: There are not enough hours in the day for me to list everything that confuses you.
Mike: Oh, snap!
Kitt: Yes, Micheal. Snap.

Petition #2507

Stealthwalker
Operative

Post by Stealthwalker » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:18 pm

I think that because GST has already been apart of a previous series on NBC, I'm pretty sure that he's made or rather has friends in "high places" at NBC, which is probably the reason why the show has still been on, even though I will say that some "KR08" episodes have been "excellent" & while the others have "Sucked".
Stealthwalker aka "Tha Lone Crusader"

"We Meet Again". As quoted by Garthe Knight in "Goliath & Goliath Returns"

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:07 pm

Knight316 wrote:That sucks. I really like that show. I thought it was the best they had in that slot since Studio 60. I don't know what they expect for a 10:00 slot really though.
They're going against CSI:Miami!That's tough competition...plus they also moved Boston Legal to that time slot.
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

kitt34
FLAG Recruit

Post by kitt34 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:41 pm

Kram061-1 wrote:well, to be honest, it isn't fair to blame GST on everything. If NBC wanted to make Knight Rider a hit, they shoulda gave it a bigger budget to being with......It's a show about a car that can do anything, but can't do anything because NBC won't let it.

As for KR08's future....it is bleak.....I think it's fate is sealed.....and that it is truly a matter of time before NBC makes the cancellation announcement.
You got that right.