The Reboot- I think it is too late

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

DrWho2005
Operative

The Reboot- I think it is too late

Post by DrWho2005 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:59 pm

I really dont think it will work.
Why will millions of people suddenly tune in?

People are turning off the show in droves..
I dont think it matters how good the show gets..why will they decide to come back?

There are many shows i have given up on and people swear by them now- i still have no intention of watching again.
So tell me how exactly will changing the show now help?

The new changes should have been implemented from day one.

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Re: The Reboot- I think it is too late

Post by Kram061-1 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:07 pm

yeah, unfortunately, I think You are right.............

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by cloudkitt » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:07 pm

A marketing push can do wonders. And how do you know people turning off in droves? And then to further assume they're doing so in disgust? Last week's ratings were low, but that was after a week off and almost no advertising.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:35 pm

Because the ratings that have been stable for five weeks in a row dropped by two million viewers on the return episode after being preempted by the Obamamerical which was aired really without any real effort to notify viewers that KR would return the next week. :rolleyes: If you want a show where viewers left in droves, that'd be Bionic Woman which dropped one to two million viewers every week for the first five or six weeks and then kept dropping at a smaller rate. If this week's episode doesn't rebound back to what it's been getting on average, then there really are problems.

Anyway, was your post so important and did it need the attention that you had to make your own topic for it instead of posting this in the topic regarding this "reboot"?
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:37 pm

I don't see why a separate thread is needed for this, but in any case, the changes applied to the show are more than mere marketing strategy. That aspect is focused on NBC actually advertising and promoting the show, which is something they haven't been doing much and/or properly so far. The creative changes are exactly that; creative. They aim to keeping the current audience, maybe drawing in a few more that will randomly tune in when the show's on and, most importantly, allow for further creative maneuvers. The show so far has been suffering, creatively, from having to find its own distinct flavor and balance. The changes, even now, allow the showrunners to have complete control over how the show progresses.

On another note, changes to a show that early on aren't made to bring back lost viewers; this applies for shows that have been running enough to have an established audience to lose from. The viewers of Knight Rider at the moment are like the show- undefined. The fans in here are but a small percentage, the rest have nothing better to do on Wednesday nights. The plan is to get these guys to think that even if they did have something to do, it wouldn't necessarily be better than Knight Rider. Those who sworn off the show will probably stay off; but at this point, they're far less than one might believe.

Knight94
Operative

Post by Knight94 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:40 pm

Of those that got dropped, Bruce Davison should've stayed. Graiman really is more important than Alex or Carrie, as
he's the one who worked to resurrect the foundation. And I like the move to help everyday joes, but let's also see
the occasional mission to stop terrorists. I really think this could help the show pick up better viewership, by
mixing it up a little. And I'm glad Zoe's staying. She's funny & cool, especially the way she messes w/ Billy.

Renegade94
Recruit

Post by Renegade94 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:51 pm

DrWho2005 wrote:I really dont think it will work.

I dont think it matters how good the show gets..why will they decide to come back?

There are many shows i have given up on and people swear by them now- i still have no intention of watching again.

It is exactly that kind of negative thinking that will kill off the show. I am not saying that all of the changes are going to all of a sudden bring in 2 million more viewers a week or anything like that, but I do feel that if they did not make these changes now, then the show would continue down the wrong path and probably get canned anyway, at least with these changes now, there is still an outside chance that the audience lost will come back and we just might gain a few new viewers because the show's content will be worth watching. I have really enjoyed the show even though I may not have liked the direction that it was heading in, but I had faith in GST and the Writers that they would see the light and make the right changes that were needed if the show was to survive past the first season. I can not wait to get to Episode 12 & 13 just to see what new direction we will be going in and to see if these casting changes and story line changes really are what we have all been waiting for. I am still behind this show 100 % and I think it will come through and we will see a second season! :good:

:kitt:
"KITT keep your eyes peeled" Michael
"Michael I do not have eyes" KITT
"Figure of speech KITT" Michael
From Knight In Shining Armor

coverdale10
Volunteer

Post by coverdale10 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:04 pm

It may not be too late, but what boggles my mind is why they went in the direction that they did initially.

Michael and KITT may have gone against some kind of terrorist like characters in the original, but generally it was like the modern equivalent of the Superman TV series with George Reeves-good old fun with a very light dressing of serious subject matter.

There were too many characters and we only really want to see Mike and KITT. Bruce Davison would've been fine as a modern day replacement for Devon and Sarah could stay as Mike's partner in the field. Otheriwse a couple of female technicians for KITT and drop the tense big brother is watching vibe(It doesn't work).

In the original Knight Rider the premise was that Michael and KITT had to use Wilton Knight's money to go outside, but not above the law to do what the government couldn't-they weren't part of the government. And lastly, while I would never try to pass the original KR off as particularly fine art, it was never ever as stupid as this new version. I think Gary Scott Thompson realizes that and is trying to save it. I hope he succeeds.... Glen Larson better lend a hand.

Shapeshifter
FLAG Recruit

Post by Shapeshifter » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:25 pm

I think the poster's basic premise is flawed.

Yes, the show lost a lot of viewers last week. I believe there are two very good reasons that have nothing to do with the quality and creative of the show. One, the show had a big interruption in momentum by losing a week to Obama. Two, and more importantly, was the competition on ABC. The last time the show was on, the comp. was Pushing Daisies, which draws around 5 million. The next episode of KR had to contend with Dancing With the Stars, which draws about 14 million. Big difference. Let's see what happens this week (Pushing Daisies again) before we draw any conclusions.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:00 pm

Shapeshifter wrote:Let's see what happens this week (Pushing Daisies again) before we draw any conclusions.
I agree with everything you say here with regards to the lower ratings Shapeshifter. However sadly, KR is not up against Pushing Daisys this week - it's up against the CMA Music Awards. Last year, the awards show got 16 million viewers and won the night. Lets just hope it hurts Bones too.

Shapeshifter
FLAG Recruit

Post by Shapeshifter » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:21 pm

Yikes! Well, maybe NEXT week then...I gotta get me a TV guide...

Glissard
Recruit

Post by Glissard » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:20 am

Please read. I'd like some thought's about this:

As far as the plot goes. I figured Knight Industries has had the help of the FBI for getting up and running again. Hence the involvement of Yancey Arias and Sydney Tamiia Poitier Agent characters (Also the Government's cover up of the whole KARR 2 thing). I believe in the episodes to come, we'll no longer have the FBI involved with Knight Industries. There's going to be some crap that goes down. Hopefully the KITT Cave will be destroyed and FLAG (and the semi) will be back.

So we'll be saying goodbye to three cast members. I get the idea of removing the FBI agents, but Bruce Davison is the key stone to making the old series connect with the new. They did that much research to name someone the actual creator of KITT for the beginning of the series, and now they don't need him? I believe the days of seeing anything nostalgic with this new series is indeed "too late". No way will we be seeing KI2T or David Hasselhoff. It'd be too out of place. Like a substitute teacher being invited to one of their students keggers... Where's Seth Mcfarlane to give me a good metaphor when I need one?

Now on with the cast. I would get rid of the spartan cheerleaders that are Paul Campbell and Smith Cho. They need to start acting like they know how to turn on a computer or get canned. Their teeny bopper drama that goes back and forth is very old and unnecessary at this point in the show. They offer nothing to the show and why would the audience care about them.

Finally. And I've said it before. You want to make this show work and bring more reality to it? KILL OFF DEANNA RUSSO'S CHARACTER! Sorta pay homage to Stevie from TOS. The chemistry between Mike and Sarah is going no where. I think Deanna's performance is awful. She seems bored with being on the show and her character is extremely bitchy and passive aggressive. They had the MI 6 woman team up with Mike, and instantly, those two connect more in that one episode than Sarah and Mike have had since the beginning. It just seems like Sarah becomes the jealous stocker girlfriend rather than being KITT's tech. In most jobs, you remain professional, or you go home. Way to get one up'd by the guest star.

Mike and KITT seem to be the most strongest personalities on the show, which is good for the focus of the series. Everyone else just brings a performance of being incredibly self centered with no actual compassion for others. Take the episode where Mike is dying. Where's the concern and emotion from the rest of the team? The only one's delivering any evidence are the ones leaving the show. I'm afraid with the three leaving (primarily Bruce Davison), we're going to follow the adventures of the teen drama kid's and their talking car. I'm waiting for them to replace KITT's gyrosphere with a kiddy pool for naked jell-o wrestling.

I'd like to see Knight Rider have a good run, but I'm not sure it can be saved. In this ADD world we live in, we'd all like to see some real turbo boost, some smashing through walls, some overall great car chases, but if your scripts and cast can't deliver the story. you're going to loose your audience.

Does anyone share my thoughts here? I've posted something like this before and it's been glazed over. I'd be interested in hearing others opinions. Thanks.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:01 pm

If the show didn't have a full-season commitment then I might agree that it's too little, too late. But they have the rest of the season to attract viewers. After they make the transition to the new format - whatever that may be - they'll still have half a season to get the word out. And let's face it- so far the promos for upcoming episodes have not been particularly exciting.

If they can start putting more exciting stunts in the episodes, then they can put those exciting clips in the commercials, and people may tune in. And if the plots improve, they'll keep the viewers.

I'm not saying it isn't an uphill battle, but we do have a little bit of time on our side. For now.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

steventje
Volunteer

Post by steventje » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:38 pm

A reboot is necessary but unfortunately too late.
This should have been done from the beginning.
There are some big flaws with this KR08 which I said weeks ago:
1. Overcrowded
2. Mike who is a pussy. Meaning he is not a man but an adolescent. For me he is a KID driving KITT.
The writers should make him more independant, making his own decisions.
In TOS when Devon had an issue with Michael, Michael was always defending his own beliefs, what he stands for, his ideals. He wanted to save those people at any cost even if for Devon the case was closed. Mike lacks selfdetermination.
3. Too much CGI, too much blue - green screen, no real driving, etc....
4. Not helping the innocent...but always those terrorists.
I will stop here as I could go on.
One more thing. Why does the word "knight' have to be in every title episode? I found it very childish. I think they stole that idea from the smurfs !
Should I say more?
I didn't say that TOS was a perfect show, it also had some big flaws but the characters were strong.
And in television it is all about the characters.

MJknight
Operative

Post by MJknight » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:51 pm

In regards to Bruce Davison leaving, one name- Patricia McPherson.

My reason- she was shown the door after the first season due to creative differences and returned a season later because the fans demanded her back.

Now, provided that Charles Grainman is not killed off in the story, I don't see why Bruce Davison cannot return as a cast member to Knight Rider.

Losing Carrie Ravai and Alex Torres? Doesn't bother me that much.

Personally, I think what should have happened is- keep Michael, Sarah, Charles & KITT (for obvious reasons) and maybe keep Billy and Zoe, but personally whilst they are entertaining characters, they're not really necessary to the story, IMO. Zoe is just eye-candy plain and simple, again IMO.

I do concur in full that there were far too many characters without enough air-time for all of them. Personally, I thought Torres was a douche (pardon my language) despite him lightening up with each episode. Ravai became just a spare cast member, she wasn't really necessary.

But Bruce? They needed to keep him- as people have been saying; the modern Devon Miles.

Unless....Michael Knight Sr is being brought in as Charles' replacement? It's a possibility. A small one, but I wouldn't rule it out.
One Man Can Make A Difference - Wilton Knight

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:52 pm

Creative differences were just a part of why she got the boot. There was also the issue of certain "powers to be" not thinking she was sexy and they wanted someone who could offer more eye candy, in came Rebbecca Holden.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Unfortunately I think Charles is extremely likely to be killed off due to the spoilers that have been leaked.

But yeah, I pretty much agree with you.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Stealthwalker
Operative

Post by Stealthwalker » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:11 pm

DrWho2005 wrote:I really dont think it will work.

In my opinion, I think that the Rivai character should have stayed in the "pilot" only. And that the whole "team" premise of this show, should've been left to the essential characters (i.e Mike, Sarah, Charles & K.I.3.T.) that are needed for the show.
Stealthwalker aka "Tha Lone Crusader"

"We Meet Again". As quoted by Garthe Knight in "Goliath & Goliath Returns"

Mango19
Rookie

Post by Mango19 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:28 pm

PHOENIXZERO wrote:Creative differences were just a part of why she got the boot. There was also the issue of certain "powers to be" not thinking she was sexy and they wanted someone who could offer more eye candy, in came Rebbecca Holden.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Unfortunately I think Charles is extremely likely to be killed off due to the spoilers that have been leaked.

But yeah, I pretty much agree with you.
Regardless of what happens, remember Charles has been "killed" before...

David
Rookie

Post by David » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:00 pm

coverdale10 wrote:It may not be too late, but what boggles my mind is why they went in the direction that they did initially.

Michael and KITT may have gone against some kind of terrorist like characters in the original, but generally it was like the modern equivalent of the Superman TV series with George Reeves-good old fun with a very light dressing of serious subject matter.

There were too many characters and we only really want to see Mike and KITT. Bruce Davison would've been fine as a modern day replacement for Devon and Sarah could stay as Mike's partner in the field. Otheriwse a couple of female technicians for KITT and drop the tense big brother is watching vibe(It doesn't work).

In the original Knight Rider the premise was that Michael and KITT had to use Wilton Knight's money to go outside, but not above the law to do what the government couldn't-they weren't part of the government. And lastly, while I would never try to pass the original KR off as particularly fine art, it was never ever as stupid as this new version. I think Gary Scott Thompson realizes that and is trying to save it. I hope he succeeds.... Glen Larson better lend a hand.
Preach on brother! Couldn't have said it better myself!