Have yall seen this yet - changes to Knight Rider

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

arhskr81
Rookie

Re: Have yall seen this yet - changes to Knight Rider

Post by arhskr81 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:51 pm

I think that once ki3t and mike kill KARR FLAG is going to recall all contracts with the government and b/c KI3T is property of FLAG he willl stay with them. Then it will come out that in Wilton's will the foundation was left to Devon then in Devon's will it was left to Mike Sr., which is where he has been. That's why he knew about KI3T and Jen being killed.

Mike Sr. = Devon
Mike Jr. = Mike Sr.
Sarah = Bonnie
Zoe = April
Billy = RC3

knighthazzard
Recruit

Post by knighthazzard » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:54 pm

I wonder if the Producers are looking at a possible rebranding of approach here similar to those changes carried out between the pilot and series? I must admit that there are elements of the pilot and series that I like but others that we can afford to lose. In my opinion the shift in approach can only be a good thing. I kinda get frustrated when watching scenes that are viewed through the SCC monitors- it detracts from the action. One thing that I used to like about the original show is that KITT and Michael would be out in the field and somehow stumble upon "their next mission". I was watching the show last week and dare I say it: I was thinking "This show now reminds me more of Team Knight Rider" than TOS.

The lighthearted humour between Michael Knight and KITT used to flow along with the action making great viewing. The current shift between scenes and locations for me destroys the flow. There have been so so many characters portrayed in this show. For this reason I feel that the Producers do not get a chance convey any sense of depth to their character unlike the original show. Hopefully the producers will now get an opportunity to focus more on developing the characters further

We still do need some changes- I think the new Windshield is great but for me that alone with the Snow Globe does not create the WOW factor. We still need to see some more, lights,buttons and the car levelling some walls here and there. In my opinion the pilot steering wheel fits in better than the current one. Even the Standard Shelby GT500 wheel fits in better with the cars appearance. For some reason I still would like to see the Iphone screen back to work alongside the CGI Windshield- with one small Change- the vox to be congruent with the Knight 2000s. I also feel the Speedometer should be part of the Dash on not CGI enhanced on the Windscreen.

In the original Show I used to love the shift of modes from Auto Cruise-Pursuit mode displayed alongside the lighting up of the gas peddle and hands free shifting of the gear stick. I also observed that we hardly ever see Mike pull off swift moves on the steering wheel or carrying off any power slides. The onscreen views only ever 'seem to portay Mike watching the monitors' Does KITT drive all the time these days?

I still have a preferrence of TOS episode Prelude trailer presented in Clips over the current format. It would also be nice to see a reworking of the current Intro music presented during the show to re iterate the action. This used to work to great effect. Just one more for the wish list: Could we possibly have the old format of ending back with KITT heading away from the Sunset?

This post was not intended as a rant and I do not want to detract from the good work that the Producer have made to date. I wish those actors departing all the best for future TV roles but I think it has now been identified that Changes are required and the Producers have recognised that need if it was not always to be part of their plan all along :good:

My_Friend_KITT
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by My_Friend_KITT » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:20 pm

#1) The changes of the Schedule line-up
#2) The changes to the current cast
#3) The competition of shows to come....

I'm getting scared.......... :(
That is a computer not a sofa.......Knight of the Drones

A firsthand viewer of Knight Rider '08!
And I LOVED it!

Stealthwalker
Operative

Post by Stealthwalker » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:33 pm

They should definitely keep Bruce Daivdson's character (Dr. Graiman) in the series, he's the next best thing to Edward Mulhare's Devon Miles from TOS. And besides, his character is very important since he did mention to Mike that he wanted to re-activate "F.L.A.G." in the pilot.
Stealthwalker aka "Tha Lone Crusader"

"We Meet Again". As quoted by Garthe Knight in "Goliath & Goliath Returns"

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:37 pm

"Bruce Davison (who plays KITT’s creator) will not be returning to the show"

Thats the only bit I really read from the FSR article, the guy doesnt say very nice things about KR

"I can say that any change made to the struggling series has to be an improvement. After all, the show can’t possibly get any worse. And I’m not exaggerating in the least. If someone told me I had a choice to watch Knight Rider or another show called Watch Paint Dry, I’d choose the latter"

"Maybe crack’s the thing to try, since apparently everyone involved with the show is smoking it. Maybe that’ll get me on the Knight Rider “wavelength.”

read the full article here

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/tv-new ... wesome.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My_Friend_KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by My_Friend_KITT » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:49 pm

#4) Constant bashing by anybody who "thinks" that they are somebody...

And I LOVED it!

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:52 pm

I clicked the link before you edited your post.... Reading the link I thought it was going to be something positive. Hahaha, so much for that...
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:05 pm

PHOENIXZERO wrote:I clicked the link before you edited your post....
I assume your referring to the Film School Rejects article?
PHOENIXZERO wrote:Reading the link I thought it was going to be something positive. Hahaha, so much for that...
Something positive about Knight Rider that does'nt come from a Knight Rider fan? your hoping!

Nobody ever says anything nice about it, Ive read loads of articles all saying the same thing, people bash it, its a trend.

I say F%&^ Em! and may they get mowed down by a talking car.

My_Friend_KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by My_Friend_KITT » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:12 pm

Line up their names with your machine gun smiley.... 8)
What ever happened to "If you don't have anything nice to say......"

And I LOVED it!

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:31 pm

The only logical reason I can think of is that they not renewing Bruce Davidson's deal as a regular cast member is because he obviously the highest paid actor and for what they're probably paying him, they're not doing enough with the character to justify the salary he can command. I doubt everyone of the main cast had the same or a similar deal so I could easily see his deal being worth more than any two of the other cast members, maybe three even. I just hope they don't kill him off. Then again, maybe there's more to it and he has other interest he might want to pursue and doesn't want to be locked into a contract.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

K.A.R.D.
Stranger

Post by K.A.R.D. » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:35 pm

While it is good they're cutting down the cast I have to say out of all the cast members to get rid of Bruce Davison wasn't one of them, that to me is a major disappointment. One thing I do hope they change is the "KITT Cave" being the only base location for Knight Industries, I think another location that they could go to would benefit the show as well. Hey maybe we'll get the semi now if they aren't doing stuff about terrorists.

Highlander1976
Volunteer

Post by Highlander1976 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:44 pm

This is not a good sign. I have really wanted to like the new series but it really has fallen flat and the news of the cast change and story changes scream "Sinking Ship". What kills me the most is, the 2 Hour Pilot was actually decent and had potential to revive a great series.

Reality is, between the awful (Make that God-Awful) green screen use and horrid CGI was only the beginning of how bad the show has been. Not to mention the overall story arc has been nothing short of bad writing. I really hope this reboot will be the thing the show needs, but I have a feeling the show may not survive past the first season if the ratings don't improve.

And before people jump on me for being a hater, I'm only speaking about how I feel about the series. I really think this is the beginning of the end. I'm actually a little shocked that NBC would allow for this drastic change instead of simply cancelling it.

rhdaussiekitt
FLAG Recruit

Post by rhdaussiekitt » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:51 pm

so if they are getting rid of Bruce Daivdson's character (Dr. Graiman) maybe they could bring in the Hoff and he could end up being the boss??
--knightman--

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:26 pm

arhskr81 wrote:I think that once ki3t and mike kill KARR
Im going to guess if the KARR character/vehicle is successful, it wont be killed off completely, remember Ki3t had the option of being uploaded to the 'neural net' to save his files, I'm pretty sure will have the same compatibility no matter what happens in the episodes 12 and 13...

KARR's Fury
Recruit

Post by KARR's Fury » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:47 pm

I've said it before and will again. More for the outside sources than the fans. Don't kill off KARR completely. Have him a reccuring bad guy. He wasn't used enough. I thought Goliath was overkill. At least by having both two -hour episodes in same season.
:karr: I shall return and if you thought I was mean before... :karr:

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:21 pm

I have only a question. I thought when these actors/actresses were signed for the pilot, there was an interview with one of them, I cannot remember who, but he or she had said they were all signed for 5 year contracts in the case that there was a series. Does anyone recall this? Other than Chuck Graiman going, who cares, but what gives with the contracts?

rhdaussiekitt
FLAG Recruit

Post by rhdaussiekitt » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:42 pm

Might be there only way to bring in "The Hoff" for a boss role..
--knightman--

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:30 pm

Kram061-1 wrote:I have only a question. I thought when these actors/actresses were signed for the pilot, there was an interview with one of them, I cannot remember who, but he or she had said they were all signed for 5 year contracts in the case that there was a series. Does anyone recall this? Other than Chuck Graiman going, who cares, but what gives with the contracts?
I believe it was only Val Kilmer who was signed on for a 5-year contract. If other actors are, too, I haven't heard about it.

And speaking of salaries, I'd actually consider Val Kilmer to be an “A-List” actor (after all, he did play Batman), so wouldn't his salary likely be as high as Bruce Davison's, if not higher?

Davison has been severely under-used so far this season. I do not believe any of the writers have a story for him, which is a shame since his entire purpose in the first place was to connect the mythology. Why wouldn't the writers keep that going?
Last edited by Lost Knight on Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:32 pm

I think that the truth is, is that this can't be good for this show. Not in any way. I've grown to pretty much like this show, so I am not bashing it by saying this. It's just that if this show is on it's way out already, I don't think there can be much that can save it now. We're lucky it was extended to fill out the season. They did do alot of things right. All these Goddamn reality tv shows have ruined television. Now I guess we should just consider it an extended mini-series. But if the ratings aren't there, they probably never will be. I wonder how much NBC has invested into this show to extend the season full if it is a failing show. GST should go crazy with car chases now, start destroying cars. Go out in style. It seems like NBC has given this show a long leash, so I'd imagine they have alot of money invested in it. It will be interesting to see what happens now though, how this plays out. I would like to see KARR come in and destroy the KITT cave, and then after they knock off all three of these now-expendable characters, KITT and MK can drive around like drifters, helping people on their own will, or some crap like that.
I was really starting to get hooked on this show, too.
at least we'll get a full season 1 dvd set out of it eventually
It's too bad.

My_Friend_KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by My_Friend_KITT » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:20 pm

I wanted to post a retraction of my earlier statement "Line up thier names with your machine gun smiley"
It was uncalled for and un-needed and may have offended someone.....
I apologize....

On a more positive note,

I just found out that my VHS tape of Knight Rider '08 is full! Oh yeah!
This is the 1st show since The Pretender that I have looked forward to seeing so much.
It is also the 1st show since Bob Ross "The Joy of Painting" that I have taped religiously.
I am soo excited. *Break the tab* I won't be taping over this.

And I LOVED it!

AzBat360
Recruit

Post by AzBat360 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:39 pm

The retooling had been put in motion long before the full-season order for "Knight" three weeks ago. The UMS/Dutch Oven series is now filming Episode 15.
I think a lot of you guys have forgot this part. Sounds like this was waiting in the wings before episode 4, which is before NBC announced that they wanted scripts for the remainder of the season(ep 14+). If it takes 2 weeks to shoot an episode that puts the decision about the same time episode 13 was being worked on. Seems like TheHollwoodReporter kind of spilled the beans early. Though they probably didn't sign any non-disclosure agreements and just got the info leaked to them.

What does this mean for the series? Personally, I think it's good news. NBC are showing that they are fighting to keep it alive and are doing necessary changes to keep it on the air. Changing the focus of the show and making a more lean production by shedding some cast seems like a great move. Now, I'm personally sadden to hear that Bruce Davison is not making a return, but if you re-watch some of his scenes you can tell he was foreshadowing something coming. That tells me it might have been planned all along. As for Mr Hasslehoff making a return as a recurring role, I don't think it will happen this season. He'll show up for 1-2 episodes yeah, but a replacement for Charles Graiman doesn't seem likely till Season 2, if there is one.

Personally, I think some of the attitudes here from some of the hard core fans could be a little more sensitive and supportive. If we can't get together and show support for a new show, then how we will ever hope to see Knight Rider on the air again?

Tommy McClain

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:41 pm

My_Friend_KITT wrote: I just found out that my VHS tape of Knight Rider '08 is full! Oh yeah!
This is the 1st show since The Pretender that I have looked forward to seeing so much.
It is also the 1st show since Bob Ross "The Joy of Painting" that I have taped religiously.
I am soo excited. *Break the tab* I won't be taping over this.
I don't think I've watched a VHS video for about 10 years...

I hadnt realised until I read that post. Just remembered that an ex g/f of mine did actually go out and buy one of the boxsets of TOS on VHS, what a lovely woman! :D

My_Friend_KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by My_Friend_KITT » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:49 pm

To cheap to buy a dvd recorder and no need to when this baby still works :) ....Getting harder to find blank tapes though.

And I LOVED it!

JTurchetta
Volunteer

Post by JTurchetta » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:29 am

I dont think this is a bad thing at all actually. Lets be honest, the plate was overwhelmingly full with the HUGE cast for this show. And by the looks of things, based on the last episode it looks like alot of the casts story lines are going to wrap up nicely. We always knew there was something in Torres background that would come back to bite him. So im totally ok with the changes. My one nit would be losing Bruce Davidson. Good actor, adds much needed weight and credibility to the show. But if it comes down to financial issues and the cost of production i can understand that. That being said, IF Charles is killed by KARR what an interesting plot moment. The creation turns on the creator. It would also add nice motivation for Sarah.

GST said we would learn about what happened to FLAG soon. so maybe in his dying breathe he gets FLAG back..and we see the semi and the crew of 5 (including KITT)

All in all i am very very optimistic about this.

Looking forward to it.

J.

ssilipino
Volunteer

Post by ssilipino » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:22 am

I'm not 100% at ease with this decision whether it be on NBC's part of GST's. What happens happens, jsut as long as their is a canon to it. If those three characters disappear, then they better write and portray a good reason for it.