Have yall seen this yet - changes to Knight Rider

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

spooky
Recruit

Re: Have yall seen this yet - changes to Knight Rider

Post by spooky » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:19 am

Toni Nummela wrote:I guess the interesting thing is when Bruce Davidson gets off the plane who's gonna be the new Devon?
would be great if the "new Devon" was Hasselhoff, but portraying Michael Knight of course. that way he could give advice from past experiences.

Garthe Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Garthe Knight » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:23 am

spooky wrote:would be great if the "new Devon" was Hasselhoff, but portraying Michael Knight of course. that way he could give advice from past experiences.
That would be awesome.

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by weeezl » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:32 am

trissybabes wrote:
weeezl wrote:Let me get this straight, they're re-booting the reboot?

Well in all honesty I would agree they need to go back to the original format, it worked back then and Im 100% sure it would work now, I guess they must think the same way.

It was always about one man and his car making a difference and personally I think this is the best idea they've had so far.
Well, they're actualy rebooting the reboot of the rebooted original....
Ok then Mr Picky :D , technically the rebooted original is a sequel, then GST rebooted that and now GST
's rebooting his reboot.....................damn brain malfunction.......I now need a reboot..................................................................................................
trissybabes wrote:I hate to be pessimistic but this doesn't bode very well. I can't think of another series that has survived such a major cast change like this in the first season. It still reeks of "Bionic Woman" to me.

I've got the fingers crossed that they can pull it off - it's shown some real potential - it would be a shame to crash and burn now...
Ok back again, sorted now, youre right it does smell of Bionic Women :wink: ,hopefully this will all work out fine.

By the sound of it they are gonna push the show hard and promote it better, this change,although scary could well be the needed ingredient.

BTW, I loved KARR.E

youbelong
Rookie

Post by youbelong » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:39 am

great news im really happy about this good news return to the mythologie of knight rider :good: :kitt:
Last edited by youbelong on Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:43 am

It's still early yet to see how the stories will play out. This isn't a "hard reboot" but rather what I'd define as a "soft reboot", not too dissimilar from what happened between the TV movie and the series premiere.

I never expected Torres to last the season, mostly because I think his story was meant to end when Mike learns more about his past, bringing the two at odds. I agree that Charles Graiman's character needs to remain. However, just because he doesn't appear in every episode, it doesn't mean he won't be brought back as a guest star now and then. We can't assume they're going to kill the only character link they have to the original series at the moment. That said, I did feel kind of bad over how little Graiman was utilized over the past five episodes.

In terms of real life economics, I'll bet you letting go of Billy and Zoe's characters would probably still have not saved the money that Bruce D. was making. In that respect, it makes sense to hang onto those two characters and hopefully make them stronger and more integral to the show.

Losing Rivai surprises me on one level, but does not on another. On the one hand, she was in the original movie and would have been a good female lead to have "on the field" with Mike. However, since they clearly want that role to go to Sarah, it makes sense they're letting her go.

It is a shame that this is happening. At the same time however, despite how much I love this show, I knew the cast was bloated from the get go and reducing it doesn't surprise me, only the choices do.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

Taichi
Rookie

Post by Taichi » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:34 am

^ I agree.

I hate to see Bruce go the most though... he really fits the part and it's sad to see him let go. If I would have had my choice, leave Carrie and Charles and get rid of Billy and Zoe... however, Billy has grown on me a little, especially after the Halloween episode.

Too bad though... but hopefully this will allow more KITT and Mike time... as long as that happens, then whatever change they make I'm good with it... plus I only watch for KITT and Mike anyway, that's Knight Rider, the man and his car... Sarah's good eye candy though...

cajunknight0153
Operative

Post by cajunknight0153 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:42 am

who's gonna be the new boss?

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:13 am

Well, I can't say I'm surprised- I'd already commented on the lack of use for Bruce Davison and Sydney Portier- and I can't say I'm happy about it either. I was really hoping Mike's relationship with Charles would be more fleshed out. Yancy Arias sort of surprised me because of his character. I just can't fathom how Billy and Zoe managed to stay on, though, but I'm hoping that with the reduced cast, maybe they can focus on making these characters more interesting. I wonder if we're going to lose the KITT cave as well?
KITT: I walked right into that one, didn't I?
Michael: More like Turbo Boosted.

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:31 am

I think it's good thing they're reacting and try to do their best to make Knight Rider survive. I too hope David Hasselhoff would become the new "leader" as a Michael Knight since Bruce Davison has been let go. It's sad though because Bruce's character reminds so much Devon's role, it would've been great to keep him.
I'm still hoping to see some classic Knight Rider episode with '82 TA KITT & Hasselhoff as a Michael Knight behind KITT's wheel :D

Radicalas
Operative

Post by Radicalas » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:38 am

It would be ideal to have Mike (Justin) as KITT's driver, Sarah (Deanna) as Stevie in TOS, Zoe (Smith) as Bonnie in TOS and Billy (Paul) as RC3 in TOS3, and bring back Michael (David Hasselhoff) from TOS as boss of FLAG, which takes Devons (Edwards) or Charles (Bruces) place.

Original New
Michael Knight (D. Hasselhoff) Michael Knight (Justin Bruening)
Bonnie (P. McPherson) Zoe Chae (S. Cho)
RC3 (P. Parros) Billy Morgan (Paul Campbell)
Devon (E. Mulhare) Michael Knight (D. Hasselhoff)
KITT (W. Daniels) KITT (V. Kilmer)
Stevie (C. Hickland) Sarah Graiman (D. Russo)
'
I'm not sure about Sarah and Zoe. Maybe we don't need Zoe, and Sarah could be as Bonnie, and Zoe could left, but then Billy would be alone and there wouldn't be very much fun. Or Sarah could apear in few episodes as Stevie, as Mike love. And left Zoe as Bonnie.

trissybabes
FLAG Recruit

Post by trissybabes » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:40 am

weeezl wrote:
trissybabes wrote:
weeezl wrote:Let me get this straight, they're re-booting the reboot?

Well in all honesty I would agree they need to go back to the original format, it worked back then and Im 100% sure it would work now, I guess they must think the same way.

It was always about one man and his car making a difference and personally I think this is the best idea they've had so far.
Well, they're actualy rebooting the reboot of the rebooted original....
Ok then Mr Picky :D , technically the rebooted original is a sequel, then GST rebooted that and now GST
's rebooting his reboot.....................damn brain malfunction.......I now need a reboot..................................................................................................
trissybabes wrote:I hate to be pessimistic but this doesn't bode very well. I can't think of another series that has survived such a major cast change like this in the first season. It still reeks of "Bionic Woman" to me.

I've got the fingers crossed that they can pull it off - it's shown some real potential - it would be a shame to crash and burn now...
Ok back again, sorted now, youre right it does smell of Bionic Women :wink: ,hopefully this will all work out fine.

By the sound of it they are gonna push the show hard and promote it better, this change,although scary could well be the needed ingredient.

BTW, I loved KARR.E
Heh, thanks Weezl!

What worries me most about it all is that the pilot aired in February, did pretty well, gets commissioned as a series - with a whole host of changes from the TV movie - then NBC order a full season of episodes - with a whole host of changes from the earlier episodes.

I can see why the Carrie/FBI element should be taken out - it just didn't work. I thought Torres was a potentially interesting character though, there was an air of danger about him and something I didn't trust. I was expecting him to turn rogue at some point for some reason. As for axing Graiman - really not sure about that at all. There needs to be an authoritative figure in there somewhere and I honestly don't see Billy as that.

Even in his Torchwood coat.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:59 am

It's always been obvious to me that there have been too many characters all along. This was most evident when Agent Rivai and Charles Graiman were missing altogether in a couple of episodes.

I think NBC has the right idea, but picked the wrong characters to get rid of. All this time I was hoping Zoey and Billy would be killed off, but apparently NBC thinks their comic relief is more important to keep than characters who could continue to bridge the gaps between the original series and the new series. For that reason I'm extremely disappointed that Bruce Davison will be leaving the show, because I was looking forward to seeing more backstory as to the Knight 2000's whereabouts and what was going on in his garage with the Trans Ams.

And isn't Smith Cho still billed as only a guest star? If she's staying on the show past 13 episodes, what's up with that?
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Taichi
Rookie

Post by Taichi » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:13 am

Don't know...

But the fact they are cutting cost with the stars leads to more money being put into things that need it... for one... THE DRIVING!

That's the main downfall of the new series... no real driving time... in or out of the green screen... at least with 3 stars gone, and hopefully a scaled down SSC, that will allow more cars, and may lead to more "real" driving. I re-watched KITT vs. KARR the other day and they need to ditch the Green Screen driving... seeing Michael move around when turning corners, hitting the gas really hard and see him sink into the seat a little, and when he turns the wheel, the car actually turns, as well as the environment.

So it may not be a bad thing. The thing with Bruce is that he's getting a FAT paycheck... more then the others, so that will be a good chunk of change that can be used for more necessities. That's why I don't see David being back for more then one or two episodes... too much money.

So it all may work out into our favor for a closer series to TOS... I don't want a carbon copy though. TOS was a low tech series with high tech outlook. This series is too high tech in an already high tech world, scale it down, KITT doesn't need a highly advanced cave, or neon... KITT needs to be KITT, a one of a kind machine that is unmatched.

Judd
Operative

Post by Judd » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:23 am

Well see how it works out. I liked the Charles Graiman character and I'll miss him. I do think the show needs a few changes. I would like to see Michael and KITT help out ordinary people and loose the espionage angle. Let's face it the show isn't catching on. A new direction ould work. NBC are still interested in Knight Rider and aren't going to dump it like they did Bionic.

The whole point of the original was that one man can make a difference and the new series is missing that element. FLAG was created to help out those who couldn't get any from the regular authorities. That premise could be reworked for a modern audience.

It's possible David Hasselhoff could come back as the new boss.

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit

Post by KFCreator » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:25 am

I don't view this as a real negative to be honest. I think they're making the right decision overall to tighten the focus on the show and unfortunately that usually means letting a few cast members go. To be honest, aside from telling Mike and KI3T what to do, Alex Torres hasn't contributed that much to the series aside from standing around and watching over Mike and KI3T while on missions like Big Brother. I like Carrie Rivai but again, her character has had no direct involvement with any of the storylines except for the 2 hour backdoor pilot back in February and this week's past episode to a certain degree. It annoys me to see characters such as Alex and Rivai, who have had the potential to develop as really interesting people, just standing around the SSC all the time. For these reasons, it's time to see them go.

As for Charles, I really like his character and while he won't be a regular on the show anymore, hopefully they'll leave the door open for him to come back and do guest spots periodically throughout the seasons. I do agree that he was really the key to the original series but who knows, maybe we'll learn on our own what the connections to TOS are through the natural evolution of the storylines or even better, maybe KI3T will be able to dig up some info. through his database every now and then or Mike's memory will return and shed some light on things. Or, they could bring in Michael Knight Sr. (Hasselhoff) to be the link...

I am excited to see them dropping the so-called "terrorist of the week" formula and getting back to TOS's roots where Mike and KI3T help the everyday people. I think this will lead to some really great storytelling and is one of the things I always loved about TOS.

I do hope that since they made the decision to keep Zoe (I do like Billy a lot), that they make her less like a flirty immature ditz and more of a serious character. I understand the need for sex appeal but I cringe every time I see her utter goofy lines or act like a tease.

The only other change I could hope for would be to see more original music scoring for the episodes that integrates some elements of the music Stu Phillips and Don Peake made so famous for TOS and having Sarah be in a mechanic's jumpsuit getting a little dirty working under KI3T more often since she is supposed to be the one who knows KI3Ts systems better than anyone.

And, here's hoping yet again that eventually we get to see KI3T and TOS KITT (guest voiced by William Daniels) working together in at least one episode!
"One man can make a difference. You can make a difference in someone else's life. You can make a difference in your own life." -- David Hasselhoff

Dr. Graiman
Rookie

Post by Dr. Graiman » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:01 pm

No need to say that I am a big fan of the original KR (and the Hoff), so I'm glad about changes in the new series, but... The Hoff :good: as new Devon? KITT, no longer a T/A but a Voice Modul snow globe paperweight (voiced by William Daniels) on Devons Desk in the Arden Villa :shock: ? Knight Sr sending Junior (Justin Bruening) on dangerous missions :| (what a father?)? Forget it! Seems to me NBC just amend the budget, neither redistribute to crash cars. :cry: nor getting the Hoff/Daniels as regular cast.
Keep on watching...

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:02 pm

but apparently NBC thinks their comic relief is more important to keep than characters who could continue to bridge the gaps between the original series and the new series.
Well, in all honesty and fairness, when you make a show that targets a young audience and aims exclusively on the "fun factor", it's better to have young, "hot" people in the cast, than old guys with considerably large paychecks. No offense or disrespect to Davidson, of course.
And, here's hoping yet again that eventually we get to see KI3T and TOS KITT (guest voiced by William Daniels) working together in at least one episode!
Heh, yeah, that would go well.

Michael: We need to cross-check the picture with the FLAG database.
KI2T: I'll get right on it, Michael.
KI3T: Actually, I just finished doing that.
KI2T: What about locating the target?
KI3T: Done.
KI2T: Running possible apprehension scenarios?
KI3T: Done.
KI2T: Oh well, I guess I'll just play Pacman.
KI3T: What is "pac-man"?

KTMCDO
Recruit

Post by KTMCDO » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:12 pm

i am excited about this news
but i cant get over the fact
that Bruce Davidson is leaving
he wouldve made a great Devon Miles
like character
hope Sarah doesnt give the orders now
and i agree concerning KITT
hope he can do more of what the KI2T
did in the orginal
i think the reason they are keeping
Zoe could she be a spy for Torres once he
leaves

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:56 pm

I pray to God they don't get rid of Graiman! He is the creator of both KITT's and is vital to this show in connection from the original to this one as all the writers/producers stated. I just hope they keep him and consider either Alex Torres or Carrie Rivai. I would like them to get rid of Rivai no need for her and I like Torres's character because he seems very sneaky.

Although I can see them getting an episode that gets rid of Torres because he was a traitor and have Carrie just depart and return to the FBI. They should of also got rid of Zoey and put Graiman instead, I really hope they don't get rid of him! :cry:

Another thing I would like to point out is that I hope this doesn't effect DH & KI2T returning for an episode or two or 3 or a multiple story arc! :D This might actually be good for them.... :lol: Does this change our hope for more mythology?

Joe

bige12
Rookie

Post by bige12 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:13 pm

I think they should keep Charles & Alex, but get rid of Carrie. I hope they do mix up the episodes like one week they could do a terrorist thing then the next episode do story like the Original Knight Rider way. I kind of like those transformation in the series I hope some of those do stay after the changes are made to the series.

If they are going back to the orginal Knight Rider format ( I just hope that the do not mess up the orginial Knight Rider Series Format

DeeKnight
Operative

Post by DeeKnight » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:21 pm

There was no doubt they needed to get rid of some characters,but getting rid of charles seems strange he was the one everybody looked up to. Plus he is sarah's dad,so is he gonna be killed off and how will that effect sarah?

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:28 pm

So with Davison going, is this the death that the 'Hawaii' storyline centres around??

And did the Mods already know about this development? (going back Neps saying about 'cat' and 'bag'....)

It seems like the 'reboot' could flow quite easily from ep12 where the SSC is shut down by the guy who wants to reactivate KARR. Its already set up that Torres is something to do with Mike's past and in some way KARR is connected to that and Ravai knows about it too.

So when whatever happens in ep12/13 is resolved those 2 FBI characters are removed from the 'KITT' project by the government and a new approach (within the actual KR universe) is adopted.

I'm glad to see Smith Cho STILL on the cast list AFTER the changes...

PLEASE (I DONT CARE WHAT IT COSTS!!!) CAN WE GET DH TO REPRISE THE MK snr ROLE FOR GRAIMAN'S FUNERAL. Bearing in mind the lack of a father figure in Mike's upbringing, Graiman would have certainly been very close to him (although not going into dodgy territory of ACTUALLY being the father figure cos that would make the Mike and Sarah a very strange relationship...) Michael Knight snr NEEDS to be at the funeral of Graiman.

Knight Rider (version 1.0-1.4) was a very popular show in its time, whether a reboot copying the original will work in today's TV climate, I don't know but either way I will be watching all 22 episodes of this season and hopefully the other season's too...

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:41 pm

but getting rid of charles seems strange he was the one everybody looked up to
Not really. I mean, sure he is one of the main characters of the show but I don't percieve him in that way since he wasn't mentioned in TOS. I see him as a character they just had to include in order to connect TOS with the new series. I don't have the same compassion for him as I had for let's say Wilton Knight. I feel that Wilton is the true creator whereas Graiman is just someone they chose out of the blue. His name is not even directly related to Kitt nor any of the other characters at all. Wilton on the other hand, his last name was connected to Kitt, Michael, Jennifer, Garth and more which makes him superior to me.

That's how I feel anyways... :good:
Michael: Kitt what matters to me is who you are not what you look like. Sure we don't have the car so we can't turbo boost so we can't go over 200 miles an hour but it was all icing on the cake anyway

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:11 pm

Im gonna stick my creative neck out and suggest that KARR kills Graiman, increasing the tally of deaths at the mad machines wheels/chips. Torres and Ravai are held accountable as they knew of KARR's exsistence and were somehow involved in the past that Mike can't remember.

They get fired because of this...

THAT is how i predict the culling of the cast is going to to go...

crashb648
Operative

Post by crashb648 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:45 pm

This is what should of happened in my opinion: get rid of zoe, Alex Torres and possibly Carrie Ruvai, and keep the rest.

Why get rid of bruce for? I don't see the point. Its like saying: "right we will get rid of devon" in the orginial series. :evil:
http://www.thetributepages.info/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Online Tribute Pages for Video Games, Movies and TV Shows. Including: Knight Rider and Knight Rider: The Game!