Have yall seen this yet - changes to Knight Rider

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

dag268
Rookie

Have yall seen this yet - changes to Knight Rider

Post by dag268 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:35 am

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/con ... e465fc31d5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

its what we have been talking about :good: :kitt:

neps
Site Administrator
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: have yall seen this yet

Post by neps » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:38 am

Looks like the cat is out of the bag... I'm surprised THR would talk about this so soon - I guess anything to help KR in the press!

It's really sad to see anyone leave the show - but it's been obviously difficult for the writers to include all the cast all the time. I'm saddened most about Bruce Davison, he lent a huge amount of credibility to the cast, similar to Mulhare, and without him I wonder how the connection to the original series will continue to play out.

Drake
Operative

Re: Have yall seen this yet - changes to Knight Rider

Post by Drake » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:49 am

I'm glad they're going back to the orignal series format. Hopefully this will help the ratings. I was hoping they'de keep Dr. Graiman (Bruce) and get rid of all the useless SSC people. I bet the people who are leaving go out with a death scene.
The Kenner Knight 2000 Voice Car. One toy can make a difference.........

dag268
Rookie

Post by dag268 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:52 am

If they loose the fbi connection(good) i dont see why they dont keep bruce.

knightprobe89
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightprobe89 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:55 am

what they are doing is a good start, but they also need to do more car stunts, and make kitt crash through things, also they need to do something with the dash and steering wheel, especially the steering wheel, the one from the pilot was pretty cool.
in glen larson we trust.

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:16 am

It would have been interesting to see Bruce as a Devon-like role...
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

TheGHOSTMAN 007
Recruit

Post by TheGHOSTMAN 007 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:17 am

I hope this does improve ratings. Although I think they should not be losing
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Charles Graiman
as I really liked that character and actor. However, if the character does die, it will be a very major event for the series. I still hope they do have the larger events like the terrorist organizations in some episodes. Having them every week diminishes the impact, but having them from time to time makes them feel like big events.

I am first and foremost a fan of the original series, so any changes made to the new show to make it more like the original will make me an even greater fan of this new Knight Rider. I have been very pleased with the series so far and I find the actors/characters have clicked. I'm getting anxious to see the show in it's new format and I hope I like it even more than I already do and that the ratings go back up to where they were and beyond!

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:19 am

Its good to hear they are going to make changes I think they really need to shake things up, hopefully this will mean better ratings. It sounds like GST is giving us just what we want.. a show about one man. But I agree, we need an older gentleman like Davison on board to head up the team. I would have been happy with the cast of the BD pilot. I wonder where they will be getting orders from now.

Well I guess this means we keep it on Wednesdays.. it makes sense that they would cause they just moved life to go along with it.

Overall I think it's very positive news.
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

Radicalas
Operative

Post by Radicalas » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:30 am

I don't really liked Bruce Davidson, but i agree with Sue, that we need older gentleman. I'm happy, that Yancey Arias is leaving, i didn't liked him from the beginning and still don't like. I didn't liked Sidney's character too. So this changes is more good, than bad. So there left only Mike, Sarah, Billy and Zoe and K.I.T.T., so it makes just one person more, than the original, which one was Michael, Bonnie, Devon and K.I.T.T. I think it's very good decision. I hope they will make new Attack KITT, not so aggressive, but sleeker, without neons, without pipes on the hood, more edgier and sharp.

Matthew
Site Administrator
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Matthew » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:37 am

Is it my imagination, or have we been left with the young and pretty people that will appeal the most to the key demographic, instead of the characters that would actually make sense from a story perspective?

Don’t get me wrong here, Carrie Ravai has been surplus to requirements from the get-go really, but with the story that’s developing between Charles Graiman and Alex Torres, they’ve felt like they’d be pivotal to the show’s future, with Graiman leading the good fight, whilst Torres continued his development down the dark road of becoming a potentially intriguing foil.

I honestly believe that having Bruce Davison and Yancey Arias leave the show is a mistake given the development of their characters thus far, and I wouldn’t be surprised if we eventually learn that this whole thing was orchestrated by NBC’s corporate machine, especially given the fact that there is no longer a character of authority left within the team.

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

Toni Nummela
Knight of Finland

Post by Toni Nummela » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:48 am

I guess the interesting thing is when Bruce Davidson gets off the plane who's gonna be the new Devon?

TheGHOSTMAN 007
Recruit

Post by TheGHOSTMAN 007 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:49 am

Matthew wrote:Is it my imagination, or have we been left with the young and pretty people that will appeal the most to the key demographic, instead of the characters that would actually make sense from a story perspective?

Don’t get me wrong here, Carrie Ravai has been surplus to requirements from the get-go really, but with the story that’s developing between Charles Graiman and Alex Torres, they’ve felt like they’d be pivotal to the show’s future, with Graiman leading the good fight, whilst Torres continued his development down the dark road of becoming a potentially intriguing foil.

I honestly believe that having Bruce Davison and Yancey Arias leave the show is a mistake given the development of their characters thus far, and I wouldn’t be surprised if we eventually learn that this whole thing was orchestrated by NBC’s corporate machine, especially given the fact that there is no longer a character of authority left within the team.

Matt
Could be true. However, it doesn't say that the characters will die so it is possible that some will still guest star from time to time. I do completely agree with what you said about Bruce Davison and Yancey Arias. Hopefully we will see them (or at least one of them) again.

I am still a huge fan and I hope I will be an even greater fan after the changes.

Slayer2004
Volunteer

Post by Slayer2004 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:06 am

Dont get me wrong I am all up for change, but feel that this isnt a change, its a suicide mission, mid season the cast members are gonna change?? and at worst, just disappear?

Dont get me wrong I agree with a few people that a few tweaks here and there are needed in any show, but thats usually done after the end of a series but with so many people liking how the series was going so far. I cant help but feel its being changed because of all the moaning people are doing, but with that said the amoungt of negative feedback has surely gotta be outweighed by positive.

I am hoping that this isnt the start of a downward spiral and that the reason they were not picked up is because they are budget cutting the show early.. Only time will tell.
Slayer2004 - Life, an infinate energy beyond scientific understanding....

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:19 am

Eh, I'd keep Graiman and kill off Sarah, then cook up some plot device to have Michael and Charles at odds over her death (or departure). I like you Deanna, but so long as your character keeps Mike off the field, I'll have a problem. Bond knock-offs and commitment don't click.

That aside, I'm very much satisfied with the essence of this news. Less characters means better pacing and balance and moving away from the terrorist-of-the-week plot is anything but unfortunate. Will I be too much of a fanboy to think that our voices did help leading -even a little- to this decision?

Knight-industry-2008
Recruit

Post by Knight-industry-2008 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:28 am

i hope will still get KARR at ep 12 or some but they just put him in an car not in an crazy killer robot

and maybe they got DH back on contract as Michael Knight Sr. as devon miles character

BlueChaos
FLAG Recruit

Post by BlueChaos » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:33 am

Two parter on episode 10 and 11? I believe they were originally planning it for episode 12 and 13?

I believe that with the current development and seeing who goes, Knight Industries would be no more. No Carrie Rivai means no more connection to the FBI and the government. No Alex Torres means no mission supervisor (which is maybe a good thing to get rid of the terrorist of the week formula) and no Charles Graiman means there is no longer anyone who takes control in concern of Knight Industries. IMHO, getting away with Carrie and Torres is a right move to get back to the "original feel", but dumping Charles is a very wrong move. After all, he IS the one who can actually make the connection to the original series and lend it the original feel, what's with his Devon-like role etc.

I still don't know why they choose Billy and Zoe over Charles. At least, I believe that if someone must go, Zoe must go and Charles must remain. If Knight Industries is disbanded, Zoe no longer has a role. She is Torres' crew, and apart from occasionally doing field missions and helping in the KITT Cave she has nothing to do that Billy can't do. So if Zoe goes, we will have a team of Mike, Sarah, Charles, Billy and KITT which I think would be VERY GOOD in keeping with the original series. Think of Michael, Bonnie, Devon, RC3 and KITT of the original series. Billy can still be useful as a tech, but we don't need to have two techs, do we? With Billy and Zoe filling the same role I think it will be very wrong. Who will supervise the whole operation then? Sarah? Taking over his dad's mantle?

With this development I think the Knight Industries and/or the KITT Cave will be entirely destroyed by ep 13. With it being a KARR episode maybe KARR gets back and ruined the whole thing. Hopefully they will get back on the road with the semi-truck or another mobile "home vehicle".
"If Darth Vader had a KITT bathroom, then he would have ruled the galaxy far far away since a long long time ago..." *LASER!* :good:

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:04 am

So does that mean either Billy or Sarah become the Devon type character? That would be dumb. Swap Graiman's departure for Zoe and I'd be happy.

Personally, I think NBC know this series could already be in trouble ie changing the Wed schedule and now the cast and they are doing everything possibly to boost the ratings.

Normally, once an audience has seen the core idea of a show, then that's it for them. Changes rarely have an effect.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:09 am

I never expected Torres or Ravai to make it past the initial 13, just because their role was to be characters to basically be rebelled against as well as the issue of there being so many characters but I really hope they don't kill off Charles because Bruce Davidson is probably the most important character/actor on the show along with Mike/Justin, KITT and Sarah/Deanna, like what someone else said, he does fill out that "elder statesman" type role and was created to be that link to the past. I hope that at least, they get the Torres/Mike story wrapped up (without killing Torres off so perhaps Yancy could return later) or some resolution and this isn't going to be a Judy Winslow moment where they leave the room, only to never be seen, heard from or mentioned again. Ravai just always seemed a bit out of place to me, plus they really didn't do anything with the character so far and what little they did do wasn't written too well, maybe it was me but the writers didn't really care about the character. I do agree that it doesn't make much sense that Torres's assistant is apparently staying on but without him. Not to say I'd complain about seeing Smith Cho on my screen every week.

I have a feeling that this might be opening it up for Hasselhoff to come aboard to take the mentor/Devon role. Though I'm not sure how I feel about that because as cool as it would be to see Michael Knight Sr. Again I dunno if I'd want to see him every week.. I thought one of the casting pages that made it online made the story seem like rather classic Knight Rider and now I guess I know why.

There's really no reason to rejoice about this yet, because we should all be careful of what we wish for, because we might just get it and then regret it.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Knight452
Operative

Post by Knight452 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:36 am

When i first saw the news,i think stewie would say "what the deuce"? I wouldn't mind Torres leave :good: but Charles Griaman? He's the guy who invented the first kitt :kitt: for crying out loud. Let's see how this plays out.
Show's Over...Go Home!

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:44 am

This is great news! Loosing some of the less important characters as well as getting rid of the terrorist-theme fighting would certainly make it better and therefore increase the ratings. As you can imagine we're moving closer to the original Knight Rider and that will give it a more narrowed feeling towards the old plot which is really what the aim should have been right from the start.

I certainly hope, although I know that this has been mentioned that they will include scenes were Kitt gets to drive on two wheels, run into walls, drive a little more independently, a real life turbo boost (perhaps), better AI and humor as well as an increased relationship between him and Mike (all of this to begin with)!

Whether it is too late for these changes to take place when were getting around 10-13 episodes is a factor that time will tell. The rate at which the show is proceeding is perhaps not enough to give people the patience and wait all that long to see some changes being made. If this is the case GST will know that he's aim has been wrong right from the beginning!
Michael: Kitt what matters to me is who you are not what you look like. Sure we don't have the car so we can't turbo boost so we can't go over 200 miles an hour but it was all icing on the cake anyway

Garthe Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Garthe Knight » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:14 am

Well, the new show was OK, and it gets better every week.

But this change really really makes me excited about the show. It is necessary. I hope they are also changing some things at KITT, like the dash, do more stunts and overwork or get rid of the attack mode.

But reading the article, I guess GST now has understood what Knight Rider is about. One man, one car, helping the powerless against criminals who operate above the law.

I watch the show anyway, but it's so more fun when you can really love it.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:27 am

I wonder if the apparently budget reductions have anything to do with Bruce Davidson leaving, as from everyone on board, he was probably the highest paid. I don't think anyone should be celebrating just yet and recycling old stories from the original series is the way to go because even the original series ran that into the ground and got very repetitive by season four, though I'm glad they might be getting away from the covert government operation side of this.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:44 am

Let me get this straight, they're re-booting the reboot?

Well in all honesty I would agree they need to go back to the original format, it worked back then and Im 100% sure it would work now, I guess they must think the same way.

It was always about one man and his car making a difference and personally I think this is the best idea they've had so far.

J_Spaced
Recruit

Post by J_Spaced » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:20 am

If they're going to lose those characters then:
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
who is going to shout "BILLY!"? They're dropping two characters whose role seemed entirely to be motivating the techie by yelling at him. Also, hopefully we'll find out about Torres' knowledge of Mike's history before he get eaten by a wild rabbit or something.

trissybabes
FLAG Recruit

Post by trissybabes » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:12 am

weeezl wrote:Let me get this straight, they're re-booting the reboot?

Well in all honesty I would agree they need to go back to the original format, it worked back then and Im 100% sure it would work now, I guess they must think the same way.

It was always about one man and his car making a difference and personally I think this is the best idea they've had so far.
Well, they're actualy rebooting the reboot of the rebooted original.

I hate to be pessimistic but this doesn't bode very well. I can't think of another series that has survived such a major cast change like this in the first season. It still reeks of "Bionic Woman" to me.

I've got the fingers crossed that they can pull it off - it's shown some real potential - it would be a shame to crash and burn now...