KI3T Scanner Sounds

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

dcpan
Volunteer

KI3T Scanner Sounds

Post by dcpan » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:09 pm

Maybe I'm not recalling correctly, but in the old KI2T, the scanner sound matched the speed of the scanner.

With KI3T, the scanner speed doesn't really match the scanner sound...it's also kind of weird to "hear" the scanner sound when you don't see the scanner....

Anyone else find that weird?

hardy
Volunteer
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: KI3T Scanner Sounds

Post by hardy » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:24 pm

yes, and the scannersound diden't also match in the first episode...

somehow i liked the new scanner-sound from the february-movie... i think it matches better to the new scanner...

KnightINSTINCT
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightINSTINCT » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:49 pm

I agree, the new scanner sound made more sense with the speed and coverage the scanner motioned with.

TriComEMS2401
Volunteer

Post by TriComEMS2401 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:22 am

I also agree. The new scanner sound is better just like Ki2t. Although they should make it match the movement of the scanner. It seems like it's just way to much sound to not enough movement.

:dash4:

jaimetheking
Operative

Post by jaimetheking » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:42 am

Didn't this come up already?

True: It doesn't match the scanner speed of Ki3t. Hope they can fix that!

Garthe Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Garthe Knight » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:40 am

Yesterday I watched Knight of the Phoenix, Deadly Maneuvers and A Good Day At White Rock.
KI2T's scanner sound doesn't match the movement of the lights. I would have sworn that it was like that, but it isn't. So nothing to complain about. :wink:

BlueChaos
FLAG Recruit

Post by BlueChaos » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:13 am

Hmm, must be KR:TOS playing mind tricks on us when we were kids then :wink:
"If Darth Vader had a KITT bathroom, then he would have ruled the galaxy far far away since a long long time ago..." *LASER!* :good:

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:42 am

I think they synched later in the TOS as well. If you pay attention, the first season has several "technical" bloopers.

Knight Rider Archive
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight Rider Archive » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:14 am

There were lots of examples where K.I.T.T.'s whoosh-whoosh would either sync with the light changing direction, or just sweeping across. "Good Day at White Rock" has a good example of the sound being wayyy out, when K.I.T.T. escapes from the police impound.
- Paul
- http://www.knightriderarchives.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dcpan
Volunteer

Post by dcpan » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:04 pm

Well, in instances where they speed up the scene to "simulate" super speed, the scanner speed won't match the sounds.

But I think for most normal crusing scenes, the sound matched the speed of the scanner quite well.

Like others have said, KI3T scanner really doesn't look like a moving bulb, so the old sound doesn't really work with the new look.

It's interesting too that in some later KI2T episodes, it seems like there's a button they can hit where the dash instrumentation goes haywire...the speedometer kept running up and relooping...I wonder if that changed the scanner speed as well.

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:21 pm

Im not gonna show any of you guys yet because its for a screensaver project.

I took the original Kitt whoosh , mixed it with the Cylon sweep (to make it sound like the this new one) and after much fiddling around in Soundforge with time stretching, Ive got this sucker synced up real nice! 8)

Closer to the time when its ready, Ill show you guys and you can tell me what you think of it.

weeezl.

Vegasmike
FLAG Recruit

Post by Vegasmike » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:49 pm

I swear in the opening credits of last weeks show the scanner sound for KI3T sounded very similar to KARR. Was it just me or did anyone else notice this?
:karr:
Call me Mike.
http://blog.vegasondemand.com/2011/09/l ... lebration/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://blog.vegasondemand.com/2010/01/k ... egas-2010/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KnightINSTINCT
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightINSTINCT » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:13 pm

It sounds deeper Vegas, but I didn't find the comparison between KI3T and KARR's scanner sound.

You know, I thought of the same thing on putting both the original sound effect in with the new sound effect. Like, the old one dominates, but we can hear a faint "ringing" with the new sound effect.

Vegasmike
FLAG Recruit

Post by Vegasmike » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:35 pm

Maybe i heard it wrong. I'll listen more closely to tonight's episode.
thanks for the reply.
Call me Mike too.
Call me Mike.
http://blog.vegasondemand.com/2011/09/l ... lebration/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://blog.vegasondemand.com/2010/01/k ... egas-2010/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KARR's Fury
Recruit

Post by KARR's Fury » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:47 pm

I too feel as though the new scanner sound is a lot like KARR's. Heck, I have KARR's scanner noise as my text alert on my cell phone 8)
:karr: I shall return and if you thought I was mean before... :karr:

Vegasmike
FLAG Recruit

Post by Vegasmike » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:43 pm

Ok Last night i sware at the end of the opening credits, KI3T's scanner sounds just like KARR from KITT vs KARR TOS.

the scene i'm thinking of is the final battle at the bridge, when KARR scans the area and sees KI2T coming "just as I planned"

Can anyone post the clips from KT vs KR, and KR08 opening sequence ending to compare the 2 sounds?

:karr: :kitt:
:dash4:
Call me Mike.

manlai
Rookie

Post by manlai » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:49 pm

TOS also didn't synch up sometimes when KITT's scanner ran faster because it was scanning or otherwise analyzing something. Generally but not always is about the best description for it. IT was something that they got better with in the later seasons so the new scanner with the sounds don't really bother me much right now. Eventually I'd like to see it synch up though.

KnightRiderKR
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightRiderKR » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:44 pm

KARR's Fury wrote:I too feel as though the new scanner sound is a lot like KARR's. Heck, I have KARR's scanner noise as my text alert on my cell phone 8)
At the end of the theme song it's clearly Karr's scanner that is heard. Funny huh.

Vegasmike
FLAG Recruit

Post by Vegasmike » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:49 am

KnightRiderKR wrote:
KARR's Fury wrote:I too feel as though the new scanner sound is a lot like KARR's. Heck, I have KARR's scanner noise as my text alert on my cell phone 8)
At the end of the theme song it's clearly Karr's scanner that is heard. Funny huh.
yep, pretty funny. hmmmmmmmmmmmm.. maybe KI3T has some of KARR in him. Remember the chip switch from last ep?
:kitt2:
Call me Mike.

KnightRiderKR
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightRiderKR » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:52 am

Vegasmike wrote:
KnightRiderKR wrote:
yep, pretty funny. hmmmmmmmmmmmm.. maybe KI3T has some of KARR in him. Remember the chip switch from last ep?
:kitt2:

I have a theory that I conjured up right now that the producers thought Karr's scanner sound was cooler to do during the intro because it has a more raw sound to it since Kitt was in attack mode at the end of the intro it could've fit into place. Raw power with raw sound. Like when Kitt steps on the gas he sounds like a super muscle car.

Vegasmike
FLAG Recruit

Post by Vegasmike » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:00 pm

Good theory, that could be why it sounds like KARR.
Call me Mike.

KARR's Fury
Recruit

Post by KARR's Fury » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:59 pm

Now my main question is this. If KI3T sounds like KARR, what is KARR gonna sound like when they bring him back?
:karr: I shall return and if you thought I was mean before... :karr:

KnightRiderKR
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightRiderKR » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:38 pm

KARR's Fury wrote:Now my main question is this. If KI3T sounds like KARR, what is KARR gonna sound like when they bring him back?
Kitt has Karr's scanner sound in the intro sequence only, he does not have Karr's scanner in the regular part of the show so Karr will sound like Karr.

Vegasmike
FLAG Recruit

Post by Vegasmike » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:40 pm

Remember, Ki3T's scanner only sounds like KARR's in the opening credits. It's Ki2T's scanner sound used in the show. :wink:
Call me Mike.

KnightRiderKR
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightRiderKR » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:09 am

Vegasmike wrote:Remember, Ki3T's scanner only sounds like KARR's in the opening credits. It's Ki2T's scanner sound used in the show. :wink:
I just said that. :lol: :lol: :lol: