If only the Camaro Black could have been KITT!

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

If only the Camaro Black could have been KITT!

Post by JJSoCrazy » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:10 pm

I was on camaro5.com and checking out some new Camaro stuff. So I saw the new Camaro for what it will look like in the Sema Auto Show and people were saying the first damn post, "this should of been KITT". It looks sick! With the red ring halo and all black look! Not to say I don't like the Mustang but when I see this, OMG :shock:

Check It Out:

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f63/ ... iew-70649/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Joe

Kaine
FLAG Recruit

Re: If only the SEMA Camaro Black could have been KITT!

Post by Kaine » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:06 pm

been there done that.

lock please!

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:23 pm

Kaine wrote:been there done that.

lock please!
I'm just showing the new Camaro in a "KITT like look", no need to lock, more for observation. I love the Mustang and I am just showing what KITT as this would look like.

U have NO SAY, so Don't Lock!

Joe

V8 Interceptor
Volunteer

Post by V8 Interceptor » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:42 pm

This car is to wicked to be KITT it has to be KARR his personality is more fitting with the feeling I get from the SEMA Camaro Black it just sends a chill up and down my spine, its the same feeling I got 20 plus years ago when I first saw KARR just all attitude, and there is no reason to lock this thread down everyone is entitled to there opinion (as long as it is not violent or harmful in some way).
"I am the Knight Rider, I'm a fuel injected suicide machine, I'm a rocker, I'm a roller, I'm a outacontroller I AM A KNIGHT RIDER BABY!"

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:28 pm

Where's Sue when you need her :lol:

I think what Kaine was pointing at is that this has been discussed to death in about 10 topics already on this forum. I really have no issue with another person wanting KI3T to be a Camaro rather than a Mustang but can this not have been posted in any of the other threads?

FYI, Mustang KI3T looks right somehow. I can't see KI3T being a Camaro without thinking Bumblebee!!!! The Mustang has been used in a few movies so I don't have the same issue. The Camaro to me seems insubstantial compared to the GT500KR.

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:01 pm

sarfraz wrote:Where's Sue when you need her :lol:

I think what Kaine was pointing at is that this has been discussed to death in about 10 topics already on this forum. I really have no issue with another person wanting KI3T to be a Camaro rather than a Mustang but can this not have been posted in any of the other threads?

FYI, Mustang KI3T looks right somehow. I can't see KI3T being a Camaro without thinking Bumblebee!!!! The Mustang has been used in a few movies so I don't have the same issue. The Camaro to me seems insubstantial compared to the GT500KR.

Sarfraz
Well said! :good:

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:59 pm

Sarfraz
Aww thanks
Sorry for wandering off, I thought it might be fun if I banged my head on the wall for a while. :roll:
Well there is this thread.. it looks like the poor thing has already gotten itself bumped up.
viewtopic.php?f=1046&t=12390&st=0&sk=t& ... 25#p146661" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Of course that isn't taking into account all the times it has been spelled Camero.

viewtopic.php?f=1046&t=11036&p=131552#p131552" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=1046&t=11041&p=131499#p131470" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=1046&t=10391&p=125809#p125809" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

eh you get the point.
Can we just make Camaro a swear word, have it auto replace with yellow submarine perhaps.
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:14 pm

Cheers, PunkMaister.

lol thanks Sue, we can start a collection of greatest hits Camaro threads!!!!

I know what would be real evil, if Camaro was replaced by Mustang as a swear word replacement....could you imagine the silly arguments then:

CamaroFan1: KI3T should be a Mustang
Mustang4ever: ....but KI3T is a Mustang!

MWAHAHAA, :twisted:

Sarfraz

V8 Interceptor
Volunteer

Post by V8 Interceptor » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:15 pm

Leave KI3T as a Mustang what is done is done, those who don't like it get over it (personally I always hoped KITT would be a Corvette, but that is just me), but there is an opportunity that (tragically) will be missed, think about it KI3T the Mustang vs. KARR the Camaro, not just for the 25 years of Knight Rider but also the over 40 years of Camaro vs. Mustang battles, and almost 100 years of Ford vs. Chevy, sure Ford would win but if done right this would be absolutly fun to watch, think of it as a automotive King Kong vs. Godzilla.
"I am the Knight Rider, I'm a fuel injected suicide machine, I'm a rocker, I'm a roller, I'm a outacontroller I AM A KNIGHT RIDER BABY!"

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:17 pm

sarfraz wrote:Cheers, PunkMaister.

lol thanks Sue, we can start a collection of greatest hits Camaro threads!!!!

I know what would be real evil, if Camaro was replaced by Mustang as a swear word replacement....could you imagine the silly arguments then:

CamaroFan1: KI3T should be a Mustang
Mustang4ever: ....but KI3T is a Mustang!

MWAHAHAA, :twisted:

Sarfraz
Well not now but most certainly a decade or 2 after this current show someone may again pick up the mantle for yet another K.R show and it might end up as a darn Camaro if the brand even still exists by then that is! 'Till then cheers...

Matthew
Site Administrator
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Matthew » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:07 pm

Sue wrote:Can we just make Camaro a swear word, have it auto replace with yellow submarine perhaps.
Eh, no!

I know that words such as "lock this" are common place on boards like IGN, where every Tom, Dick and Harry shout it into the hills every time a new topic appears that even remotely resembles a previously covered subject, but that isn't how we work here.

Neil, Mike and myself keep a very close eye on things, and will lock, merge, or remove anything that we feel we need to without being verbally prompted. Speaking of which, given the fact that this topic specifically relates to the SEMA Camaro Black, it will remain open due to it being a new topic of discussion, and a freakin' sweet Muscle Car to boot. :good:

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

EdwardKnoxII
Operative

Re: If only the Camaro Black could have been KITT!

Post by EdwardKnoxII » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:50 pm

Here's drawing I found that I thought I should post and this thread is as good as any.

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:35 pm

Another Camaro thread lol

Not gonna be Kitt but that Black is Sweeeeeeeeeeeet!

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:47 pm

Matthew wrote:
Sue wrote:Can we just make Camaro a swear word, have it auto replace with yellow submarine perhaps.
Eh, no!
Oh did I forget my [sarcasm][/sarcasm] tags again :mrgreen:
Why I thought it was a very nice yellow submarine :D
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

kitt34
FLAG Recruit

Post by kitt34 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:15 am

Sarfraz
The Camaro would have been a much better KITT then this one, the mustang although an icon of it's own right, just plain sucks in this version (and so does the show itself).

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:54 am

ok, here's the thing.

The 1982 Trans Am, especially after the KITT modifications, was "long, low, and wide".

Both the Mustang and the Camaro lack the long and low characteristics.

In other words, neither car has a hood/nose that is sloped down. They both have a relatively straight hood that ends in a 90 degree angle.

You guys only want the Camaro to be KITT because (1) it is made by GM, and (2) it may have a version called "Trans Am".

The modern 2009/2010/whatever Corvette looks FAR more like a 1982 Trans Am than does a Camaro Concept (or Camaro Black or whatever). The Corvette is also Made in the USA.

Since the Camaro is basically a GM version of the boxy Mustang, but the Mustang is Made in the USA, I'll take the Mustang, thanks. I want to support my fellow Americans in Michigan, who might not vote the same way I do, but deserve good jobs. Because both California moderate liberals (like myself) and Michigan moderate conservatives are Americans, and like John McCain said, "that, my friends, is the only association that matters". Well said, Lt. McCain!!!

--Brian (is a veteran voting for Obama)

jimknight
Rookie

Post by jimknight » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:59 am

oh dear the weekly KITT should have been a camaro thread, :)

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:13 am

kitt34 wrote: The Camaro would have been a much better KITT then this one, the mustang although an icon of it's own right, just plain sucks in this version (and so does the show itself).
Okay. Why does the Mustang suck and the Camaro does not?

I don't have the argument basis for GM vs Ford or US made vs US designed. I don't live in the US so I look at the cars touted as KI3T purely from a design point of view.

For me I look at both Camaro and the GT500KR and think which would make a better KI3T. The Camaro was THE main vehicle in Transformers and also features in another US show. If GM wanted, they could have selected KR, but instead choose My own Worst Enemy. They could have made another mock vehicle but instead took the safe option. That is their choice as they have no faith in KR. Why should I be supporting them if they have stuck two fingers up at the show in favour of Christian Slater?

Visually after seeing clips on KRO, KI3T looks spot on now as a Mustang. I couldn't see as any other car. So much so, that rather than thinking of getting a Trans AM KITT car, I now want a Mustang version instead! Why? well I know the Roush Mustang (yes I know KI3T is a Shelby) is a great handling car and I think it looks alot meaner than a Camaro.....even in that Black edition. That Black edition goes too far down the bling-bling route. Yes the GT500KR has chromed wheels, but it does not have a pimp-looking body kit.

Seeker78 is spot on. The silhouette of the new Camaro and Mustang are exactly the same so all the difference is styling. I think the Camaro's is just a little too retro compared to the Mustang.

Sarfraz

89IROCNDoug
Operative

Post by 89IROCNDoug » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:10 am

sarfraz wrote: Seeker78 is spot on. The silhouette of the new Camaro and Mustang are exactly the same so all the difference is styling. I think the Camaro's is just a little too retro compared to the Mustang.
Sarfraz
When you say silhouette, you must be referring to the basic dimensions, in which you are both correct.

I, however, have an issue with calling the new Camaro as boxy as the Mustang. The front end and rear end are much more rounded off on the Camaro, when compared to the Mustang. And the front of the Camaro looks a lot sleeker and more aero, because it doesn't have that huge, honkin' grill that the Mustang has.

That being said, I enjoy the show, because it's a FUN show, despite it's drawbacks. It's funner than most of the other stuff I currently see on TV. I would of picked the Corvette for KI3T. None of the arguments against the Corvette (except maybe a small price difference) has held up with how the Mustang has been used in the show. I'll probably have to elaborate on that later. :roll:
One man did make a difference.

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:20 am

Its interesting you should mention aerodynamics. Having done abit of aerodynamics for my engineering degree, I'd point out that the difference in aerodynamics between the new Camaro and Mustang is marginal.....or I would say it is based on the basic profile of both cars. They both have boxy front ends. Indeed, the shape of the recess in the headlamp section of the Camaro is going to be a massive flow turbulence area. They both have big grille areas,

There are stylistic curves on the Camaro but they don't actually help the Aerodynamics anymore than the Mustang. The ironic thing is that the Mustang styling is less fussy resulting in less area where airflow can separate. Take the front head lamp as a good example. The mustang, airflows past the lamp to the side or into the grille. On the Camaro, flow gets caught into the recess.

Additionally, looking across the side of the Camaro. You see those cool looking slices in the body work near the rear of the door.....unless they are functional ducts they will be flow turbulence there. I've seen Mustang GT Shelby with similar intakes and they are not functional. GT500/KR does not have these though.

The waistline is more curvy on the Camaro with a taller tail but don't take that to mean more aerodynamic either. I actually respect the Mustang more than the Camaro because of these little simple things dare I say more sleeker......not to say that the Mustang is aerodyanmic either but in the grand scheme of function, they are as bad as each other :lol:

Sarfraz

89IROCNDoug
Operative

Post by 89IROCNDoug » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:35 am

Thanks for your take on the aero features, sarfraz!

After looking at the Mustang and Camaro more intensely :shock: , I would still contend that the Camaro looks more aerodynamic on the front end. The Camaro definitely has more of a point to it (whether that would make an actual aero difference - I don't know) and has less grill area. I agree with you on the headlamps, but it's something you have to think about being non-aero, when it kind of looks aero to me - I didn't really think about it until you pointed it out, but you are correct, darn it! :(

I guess we would have to see actual numbers from a wind tunnel to see if there's much of a difference.
One man did make a difference.

_K3000_
Operative

Post by _K3000_ » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:45 am

LOL another KITT Should Be A Camaro Thread :roll: OI *Slaps Head*

Come on people I look at the Camaro and think Bumblebee from Transformers so no that aint a good idea as someone i think it was Sue that mentioned this so im quoting that :) :good: :kitt2:

Anyhow I think the GT500KR Mustang is the perfect KITT period
"We Can Make A Difference" Help Support The Show

Matthew
Site Administrator
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Matthew » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:09 am

seeker78 wrote:You guys only want the Camaro to be KITT because (1) it is made by GM, and (2) it may have a version called "Trans Am".
Seeker,

That’s one heck of an assumption, one that couldn’t be further from the truth in my particular case.

Simply put, wind tunnels and statistical analysis aside, you only need to look at the fifth generation production Camaro, especially in SS form, to know that it is a much sleeker vehicle than the current Mustang GT, or Shelby GT500. Suffice to say that it most certainly is not the box that your anti-Camaro campaign paints to be due to its place of construction.

Speaking of which, you’ve been asked to drop these points of view from your posts so many times now, that it’s getting ridiculous to still see you raising the exact same thing, time and time again. I understand your devotion to your fellow countrymen, but this is an international community with many non-American members, and to be quiet frank, these comments simply don’t belong here.

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:28 am

I'd be the first to admit that the new Camaro looks more elegant than the Mustang but that is why I like the Mustang so much more.

Looks more aerodynamic? a teardrop is the most aerodynamic shape and the point is at the back not the front. Like for like the two cars can't be separated by more than 0.02 in drag coefficient.

Both cars are boxes compared to the original. Did a quick search, TA 82: 0.32, Camaro:0.36, Mustang: 0.38.

Sarfraz

kitt34
FLAG Recruit

Post by kitt34 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:40 am

89IROCNDoug wrote:
sarfraz wrote: Seeker78 is spot on. The silhouette of the new Camaro and Mustang are exactly the same so all the difference is styling. I think the Camaro's is just a little too retro compared to the Mustang.
Sarfraz
When you say silhouette, you must be referring to the basic dimensions, in which you are both correct.

I, however, have an issue with calling the new Camaro as boxy as the Mustang. The front end and rear end are much more rounded off on the Camaro, when compared to the Mustang. And the front of the Camaro looks a lot sleeker and more aero, because it doesn't have that huge, honkin' grill that the Mustang has.

That being said, I enjoy the show, because it's a FUN show, despite it's drawbacks. It's funner than most of the other stuff I currently see on TV. I would of picked the Corvette for KI3T. None of the arguments against the Corvette (except maybe a small price difference) has held up with how the Mustang has been used in the show. I'll probably have to elaborate on that later. :roll:
But to me this show is just as bad as the rest on TV these days and the mustang does not work at all, what fun show?
There is very little plot on this version.