Live Discussion Thread: Knight of the Hunter

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

manlai
Rookie

Re: Live Discussion Thread: Knight of the Hunter

Post by manlai » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:38 pm

FLAGCEO wrote:I too agree with the comments about KITT being damaged while transforming. Yes the mines were stealth, but just before they entered the road, we saw KITT scan the road and red dots appeared where the mines were supposed to be. So KITT clearly knew where the mines were, and it was KITT that suggested transforming. Okay, so perhaps KITT couldn't predict whether he'd "go flying" while transforming, but it seems logical that KITT is most vulnerable in mid-transformation. So why would KITT suggest transforming while driving over high explosives? because the writers didn't give us enough credit.
:dash:
I think it was more of a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. He was sure to hit one of the mines in truck mode and transforming would be risky, but the chance of increasing mobility made it at least worth suggesting. Also, KI3T is probably less likely to flip in Hero mode than in truck mode - low center and all that. KI3T would have flipped one way or another after rolling over a mine, although there may have been less damage had KI3T not been in mid-transformation. I wouldn't be so quick to blame it on the writing; they just put Mike and KI3T in a bad vs. bad decision point is all.

I liked the truck this time around. I never disliked it before but I felt it was better integrated this time because there was a clear reason why truck mode was necessary. I'm perfectly fine with all the transformations as long as they serve a useful and reasonable purpose in the story. I think it did here.

I think the cast is overcrowded as well. It seems to me that Zoe and Alex are kind of part of the same team... like Zoe gets her marching orders from him and they have the same objectives - which don't necessarily coincide with the rest of the team's. It would explain her training and why Billy isn't. I would like to see them get written out by way of discovering what Alex is really up to and then at the same time find out that Zoe is on his side working against them. This arc would end with them being dropped from the team one way or another and then we're left with Charles and Carrie giving the orders with Billy and Sarah for tech support. Carrie would serve as the FBI link and Charles would take Alex's job of observing the missions from start to end.

In reply to krenigma's question, the VFX were very well done. I think they are feeling more organic every week.

I do hope that a few subtle changes to Attack KI3T (particularly the wheel size differential, the neon, and the logos - really, does it make sense for a secret organization to brand its even more secret transformation?) are taken to heart but otherwise I think a great job all around.

youbelong
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by youbelong » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:49 pm

this is the best episode of the kr08 good action scenes good scriprt mike & kitt alone in this mission the very best episode of kr08 mike & kitt toghether like the original series no sara & no css with mike pleasr MR thompson if you are here in this forum take this positive way this episode is excellent :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :kitt:

Knight2000
FLAG Recruit

Post by Knight2000 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:12 pm

TravisKnight01 wrote:Anyone notice the bad guy from tonight was the same bad guy from knight rider 2010.He was Robert Lee in the 2010 movie and drove the stleath bomber car.I just relized it after watching the show last night.
I knew I recognised that face as a baddie in some movie. Just couldn't figure out which!

FLAGCEO wrote: Don't get me wrong, I am definately a fan of the new series, but there's one major thing that has pervaded every episode so far, and it is the complete opposite of TOS - namely that FLAG/KI is now a pseudo-government agency, Mike is a "Federal Agent" (as per our resident FBI agent in the end of "Hard Day's Night"), and that in every episode thus far he's "undercover" infiltrating some group.
I think they went deliberately against this angle. Given the popularity of shows like 24 and films like "Bourne Identity", people seem to like the entire clandestine Govt. agency. Maybe there's scope for Mike Knight to help a damsel in distress or something while he's on a vacation or on a non-important mission. At least a few episodes like that would help the balance a little.

TheGHOSTMAN 007
Recruit

Post by TheGHOSTMAN 007 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:57 pm

Just wanted to post a quick question. It's not directly about the current episode, but rather all episodes in general.

Does anyone else miss the episode titles being displayed at the beginning of the episode like on the original series?

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:49 pm

TheGHOSTMAN 007 wrote:Does anyone else miss the episode titles being displayed at the beginning of the episode like on the original series?
I know I do, but this is not something unique to KR. Most television shows have titles attached to the scripts but they rarely show them anymore.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:18 pm

manlai wrote:
I think the cast is overcrowded as well. It seems to me that Zoe and Alex are kind of part of the same team... like Zoe gets her marching orders from him and they have the same objectives - which don't necessarily coincide with the rest of the team's. It would explain her training and why Billy isn't. I would like to see them get written out by way of discovering what Alex is really up to and then at the same time find out that Zoe is on his side working against them. This arc would end with them being dropped from the team one way or another and then we're left with Charles and Carrie giving the orders with Billy and Sarah for tech support. Carrie would serve as the FBI link and Charles would take Alex's job of observing the missions from start to end.
I think it was mentioned already that Zoe works for Torres and is his assistant so if there's a swerve, it'd probably go the way of her turning against him. At this point I'd rather Carrie and Torres end up getting the boot and FLAG is reformed and resembling the original series, at least somewhat. On the other hand, they still have to keep the "mom and pop" missions at a minimum. Plus it looks like they're going the route of trying to not make Mike the womanizer his father was or at least not to the point where he's got a new girl every week and ladies all over the south west. I'm also hoping that eventually with KITT learning he won't be so passive when it comes to people just butting in or watching KITT and Mike all the time he's in the car. You know, basically KITT not putting them through without alerting Mike first since I'm sure KITT does have control over that.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

EdwardKnoxII
Operative

Post by EdwardKnoxII » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:24 pm

Question. During the Billy/Zoe fight scenes was I the only one thinking "Dude give her a double leg takedown and then do a few crossfaces." Only me then? Ok. :)

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:49 pm

I could share a few moves he could have used but I probably shouldn't there. <_< >_>

Don't you love reviews like this?

http://blog.zap2it.com/ithappenedlastni ... =136137953" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:roll: It's great when one writes one such as this that largely depends on something they clearly missed and also another paragraph that shows ignorance of a basic rule of preventing hypothermia. I've already posted three comments and I'm surprised I didn't get flagged for spam. :lol:
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:52 pm

Knight2000 wrote:
FLAGCEO wrote: Don't get me wrong, I am definately a fan of the new series, but there's one major thing that has pervaded every episode so far, and it is the complete opposite of TOS - namely that FLAG/KI is now a pseudo-government agency, Mike is a "Federal Agent" (as per our resident FBI agent in the end of "Hard Day's Night"), and that in every episode thus far he's "undercover" infiltrating some group.
I think they went deliberately against this angle. Given the popularity of shows like 24 and films like "Bourne Identity", people seem to like the entire clandestine Govt. agency. Maybe there's scope for Mike Knight to help a damsel in distress or something while he's on a vacation or on a non-important mission. At least a few episodes like that would help the balance a little.
I agree I prefer the new approach, it makes it so much more international and modern. I love TOS and all but if I see one more plot line about helping a small town single mom fight against an evil large corporation while the stereotypical country sheriff shakes his fist at the evils of young men and fast cars.. I might just scream. The concept of always being at odds with the government aka the local sheriff and his dim witted sidekick just seems so dated to me. aka Dukes of Hazard, Smokey and the Bandit. (Sue ducks and awaits the stones to come flying)
But I really do think the new show needs to shake things up a bit and make it fresh. Take on topics that are in the news today.. terrorists etc. Maybe there are people out there who can identify with the plight of the local truckers union still to this day.. But to me it doesn't seem like the kind of show modern viewers want.
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

Ontario Knight
Operative

Post by Ontario Knight » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:57 pm

PHOENIXZERO wrote:
manlai wrote:
I think it was mentioned already that Zoe works for Torres and is his assistant so if there's a swerve, it'd probably go the way of her turning against him. At this point I'd rather Carrie and Torres end up getting the boot and FLAG is reformed and resembling the original series, at least somewhat. On the other hand, they still have to keep the "mom and pop" missions at a minimum. Plus it looks like they're going the route of trying to not make Mike the womanizer his father was or at least not to the point where he's got a new girl every week and ladies all over the south west. I'm also hoping that eventually with KITT learning he won't be so passive when it comes to people just butting in or watching KITT and Mike all the time he's in the car. You know, basically KITT not putting them through without alerting Mike first since I'm sure KITT does have control over that.
I was stating this exact same think int he discussion about Garthe Knight coming back to the series, the cast is overcrowded and character development is harder when there are to many characters in one show.. This episode was the best yet, the last two were what I call getting to what Knight Rider is one man one car, however it really showed this episode. Lets see if one of the characters gets written off the show after the next episode. One last thing though I hope that KI3T will have his vulnerabilities fixed damn he has got in on the chin a couple of times... :kitt:

xmguy
Rookie

Post by xmguy » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:13 pm

I agree 100% one of the BEST episodes so far! The similarities between this episode and TOS Inside Out were uncanny. Everything from the decoy to of course the gold heist. I really enjoyed this episode.
LOYAL Knight Rider fan since 1995
:spmgo:

knightprobe89
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightprobe89 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:05 am

they totally over used the pickup truck transformation, it was used during the whole first half of the show. and once again they didn't use turbo boost, this is the 3rd episode that they havent used turbo boost. although i have to admit that i did like when the truck got hit by the land mine and flipped numerous times. and i also liked when mike walked on kitts hood while chasing the truck with the bomb.
in glen larson we trust.

TheGHOSTMAN 007
Recruit

Post by TheGHOSTMAN 007 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:57 am

[b]Knight2000[/b] wrote:
TheGHOSTMAN 007 wrote:WOW!!!!!! This was, by far, the best episode yet! I couldn't believe how happy I was with the episode. I did not like the KITT truck from the beginning but I think I am changing my mind.
I still don't like the truck mode. KI2T was able to handle most terrain surfaces without the need for better traction (except the "high traction drop downs") so I'd expect KI3T, supposedly being far more advanced, to be able to handle the terrain surfaces without needing to transform into a truck.
I thought I would explain my comment a little. I did put the word "think" in there about changing my mind. If I created the show, I would have never put in the transformations to other vehicles. I like the attack mode and probably would have used that. Anyway, since the transformations are there, I am trying to get used to them. I find the special effects looking much better than in the premiere and am staring to except the shape changes.

I do agree with you about KI2T's traction abilities but I want to like the transformations. The reason I want to learn to like the transformations, is because they are here now and I feel that if they took away the ability it would be like KI3T got downgraded. I find as long as they don't overuse the transformation and there is a story point to using them then I can learn to except them and even enjoy them.

Overall, I think they are doing an amazing job with the series and I will continue to watch.

Knight Rider Archive
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight Rider Archive » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:25 am

Chateau Margeaux '86.

Chateau MARGEAUX '86!!!!!!

Could it be??? Could it be that Adrianne MARGEAUX survived Goliath's crash off the cliff, and she and Garthe set up their own winery?!!!! ;)
- Paul
- http://www.knightriderarchives.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HyperCaz
Rookie

Post by HyperCaz » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:31 am

It's official. I am now a fan. :D Fabulous episode, really enjoyed it. Seemed like it was channeling TOS. And finally KI3T is getting developed more... he's such a matchmaker, that one. :roll: I felt that the Kitt Cave scenes were the length they were supposed to be for once - other episode it's just been far too much. The Billy/Zoe scenes were great, but I would have liked to see Billy finally getting his revenge on the guy who beat him up...

Classic KR in contemporary setting. :)
BEWARE: shipper alert

Garthe Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Garthe Knight » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:57 am

Best episode by faaaar, this one had it all.

- I loved the classic story
- it was only Michael an KITT
- some really really cool driving scenes of KITT in normal mode (first time could do something in normal mode other cars can't do) LOVED IT!!! give me more of this.
- first time a real use of attack mode, this time I believed it was necessary
- truck mode not as bad as before, because it was used for undercover mission
- Mike climbing out of the car while driving... AWESOME
- green screen driving is much much much better than before, you are reaching pro level

the only complaints I have
- no turbo boost (yeah I know, it can't be in every episode, but I am still waiting for the hero car to do the jumps)
- transformation still looks kind of unbelievable, could be more realistic

I give it 4,5 turbo boosts out of 5, and I am going to watch this episode again now :good:

_K3000_
Operative

Post by _K3000_ » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:51 am

I really thought the part of mike caring about KITT is the scene when they are trapped after being blown up and Mike ses "Sarah KITT is down". And Sarah ses "Get out of their". But than Mike ses NO! Im Not Leaving HIM! i had one tear in my eye honestly!

But than KITT said just go Michael ill be fine :)
But what really surprised me is that if KITT can open his windows himself why not his doors? :shock: :?
"We Can Make A Difference" Help Support The Show

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:46 am

Knight Rider Archive wrote:Chateau Margeaux '86.

Chateau MARGEAUX '86!!!!!!

Could it be??? Could it be that Adrianne MARGEAUX survived Goliath's crash off the cliff, and she and Garthe set up their own winery?!!!! ;)

:lol: If only.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ch%C3%A2teau_Margaux" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stealthwalker
Operative

Post by Stealthwalker » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 am

I only got a chance to see the first half of the show online at the KR/NBC website & I must say that I liked what I saw. This episode is reminiscent of "Inside Out" & I saw that they took a little element from "Kinght of the Chameleon" when "Mike" sliced his skin open to retrieve his comlink.
I can't wait to catch the rest of this episode :good: :kitt2: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stealthwalker aka "Tha Lone Crusader"

"We Meet Again". As quoted by Garthe Knight in "Goliath & Goliath Returns"

Crumbling Down
FLAG Recruit

Post by Crumbling Down » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

was michael supposed to be cutting his actual skin or was that supposed to be fake skin? I didn't see any blood
Booonnnnnzzzzaaaaaiii!!!!!!!! As michael turbo boosts to score the extra point. His face is so funny when he yells this and when he hits turbo boost his eyes get huge and he flies back into the seat

Lauzzy81
Recruit

Post by Lauzzy81 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:54 pm

Man this episode was so MUCH Knight Rider as it can get, it really had a TOS feel to it, I loved it alot! I was actually surprised when the episode was over, I thought "has it already been 45 min?", sooo good was the episode to me,that I forgot time :)

dcpan
Volunteer

Post by dcpan » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:21 pm

krenigma wrote: So that meant applying real world physics to the way KITT flys up and then as he lands, and the way the dust and dirt fly up when he hits the ground, and the flames interacting with the lights and the dust, and even the way the camera jitters with each impact... its gets complicated and we precisely pay attention to every element, but the whole point is to make it so you don't notice any of it, other than to get caught up in the story.
I kind of guessed, but couldn't tell the truck flying up was FX either...great job guys! Best one so far! :good:

Knight Rider Archive
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight Rider Archive » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:14 pm

PHOENIXZERO wrote:
:lol: If only.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ch%C3%A2teau_Margaux" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hehe -- in the episode, they misspell the name "Margaux" as "MargEaux", which is the same spelling as Adrianne ;)
- Paul
- http://www.knightriderarchives.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

davidknightrider
Rookie

Post by davidknightrider » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:17 pm

this episode was ok,

but having watched knight rider 2000 again, the dash and the screens appearing on the front windscreen is far superior to this 2008 version.

they ought to go back and see how they do it in Knight rider 2000, its much more effective and futuristic than the knight rider 2008 kitt.

Shapeshifter
FLAG Recruit

Post by Shapeshifter » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:19 pm

Interesting Aside:

This episode was written by two of the consulting producers, Pat Massett and John Zinman, who work as a team. They are, essentially, part-timers, who were brought in to add depth to the writing staff. They are also producers and writers on Friday Night Lights, and are considered to be first-rate. Their next episode will be # 12, after Dave Andron's #11. They followed Andron in the early rotation, as well (Andron #4, Massett/Zinman # 5).