Gary Scott Thompson answers new questions

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

neps
Site Administrator
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Gary Scott Thompson answers new questions

Post by neps » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:49 pm

GST took time to answer some of our questions check it out:
http://blog.nbc.com/knightrider/2008/10 ... wers_1.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My favs:
Why is the AI of the KI3T still learning if it is the most advanced car on earth?
There are things that Mike can teach Kitt than no computer programmer can.

If KITT is "still learning" after six months, then what has he learned so far?
This one I don’t want to spoil here. You’ll have to keep watching to find out…

Does Kitt have to be in attack mode to keep bullets and things from penetrating?
No.

Is KITT ever going to drive on 2 wheels?
The writers are working on getting him on two wheels in an episode.

Will KITT eventually smash into things or just continue to avoid them?
Hopefully we’ll do a little of both.

Will you explain specifically how Charles Graiman connects to the original series? Flashbacks perhaps?
Upcoming episodes will clarify Graiman’s connection to the original series.

Will you ever show a "normal" turbo boost jump that happens in real time?
We’re working on it, but I don’t have enough cars to wreck yet.

Will there be a mobile lab like the semi in the earlier knight rider?
We’re thinking about that.

Faithful Car KRO
FLAG Recruit

Re: Gary Scott Thompson answers new questions

Post by Faithful Car KRO » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:43 pm

You have to give GST credit for answering our questions...just not mine sadly.
But still, how many show-runners/ex. producers do you see these days actually going online and actually answer real questions that the fans ask. Sure he's a little secretive, but im sure because of contracts he cant give too much away.....

thank you Gary, for actually being a fan and a loyal KR peep.
"Michael, I agree with your earlier assessment, back-up plans suck."- KI3T
Put the word out!
WATCH THE SHOW!!!: Wed at 8:00pm on NBC.
Its getting better and gaining ratings, AWESOME!!

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:55 pm

GST is a good man and I am happy he cares about the fans and that he answers our questions, more than that I am even more happier because he has answered my question both times!!!!!! The one about it being more darker and edgier and he said he's working on it!

What I really liked is that he states they will explain Graiman to the original in upcoming episodes and he def knows about the mansion in Pasadena from the original, so he might use it for an episode! But he didn't answer the question about Jennifer, Mike's mother, even though it was there.

Joe

_K3000_
Operative

Post by _K3000_ » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:04 pm

I hope he answers my question about maybe being in negotiations with THE HOFF and bringing back KI2T for an episode to KICK SOME ASS!
"We Can Make A Difference" Help Support The Show

Knight316
Operative

Post by Knight316 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:43 pm

Good to know Ski Mode and a Classic Turbo Boost is being worked on and that KITT will eventually smash through things. I guess that's part of the downfall of using an exotic car like the Shelby in that you can't do much with it cause you might break it. But i guess they could still do it CGI just make it look more like a normal turbo.

DeeKnight
Operative

Post by DeeKnight » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:09 pm

All positive answers i think!

TheGHOSTMAN 007
Recruit

Post by TheGHOSTMAN 007 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:14 pm

Knight316 wrote:Good to know Ski Mode and a Classic Turbo Boost is being worked on and that KITT will eventually smash through things. I guess that's part of the downfall of using an exotic car like the Shelby in that you can't do much with it cause you might break it. But i guess they could still do it CGI just make it look more like a normal turbo.
This is part of the reason why I think it is great that the show will get the full 22 episode season. It should continue to improve each week. It seems that GST is really trying to make Knight Rider a great show and I can't thank him enough for it. If we can get a few episodes with the original Michael Knight, I think we should get more seasons as well. At least I really hope so :)

youbelong
Rookie

Post by youbelong » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:28 pm

that's is good answer thank you MR thompson that's is good way for this show i hope knight rider mythologie back good news :good: :kitt:

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:48 pm

I also noticed that he put a pic of "Research & Development", I wonder if it has to do with some mythology? Also did anyone else notice the typo of how GST didn't answer the Mike's Mother Jennifer question, its odd don't you think? Hope they fix that!

Joe

Drake
Operative

Post by Drake » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:16 pm

Good stuff! Not many people would do this kind of stuff for their fans. Thanks Gary!
The Kenner Knight 2000 Voice Car. One toy can make a difference.........

kittxthexcat
Rookie

Post by kittxthexcat » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:39 pm

He didn't answer my question about what happens when Kitt watches Christine or Terminator or something instead of westerns XD

I don't think it's a typo, I think it's just he's answering the questions he has time for or he really has an answer for...
---
Kitt the Cat, but you can call me Spiff.

Billy: "I just ask cause it sounds like Kitt's making you his bitch..."
Mike: "Get back to the math BILLY!"

TwilightPro101
Recruit

Post by TwilightPro101 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:07 am

TheGHOSTMAN 007 wrote:
Knight316 wrote:Good to know Ski Mode and a Classic Turbo Boost is being worked on and that KITT will eventually smash through things. I guess that's part of the downfall of using an exotic car like the Shelby in that you can't do much with it cause you might break it. But i guess they could still do it CGI just make it look more like a normal turbo.
This is part of the reason why I think it is great that the show will get the full 22 episode season. It should continue to improve each week. It seems that GST is really trying to make Knight Rider a great show and I can't thank him enough for it. If we can get a few episodes with the original Michael Knight, I think we should get more seasons as well. At least I really hope so :)
Second that.

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:52 am

Ski mode! Mobile unit! Cars to wreck! Awwwweeeeesssssssoooooooommmmmeeee!! :good:
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

Faithful Car KRO
FLAG Recruit

Post by Faithful Car KRO » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:23 pm

did anyone else noticed Victor Kros left a comment for Gary to answer?
"Michael, I agree with your earlier assessment, back-up plans suck."- KI3T
Put the word out!
WATCH THE SHOW!!!: Wed at 8:00pm on NBC.
Its getting better and gaining ratings, AWESOME!!

scottab21
FLAG Recruit

Post by scottab21 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:31 pm

What was the deal with Jennifer Knight possibly being Garth Knight's sister? :shock:

:kitt: :karr:

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:44 pm

Possibly? Jennifer Knight was Garthe's sister remember? ;) The Jennifer from the backdoor pilot wasn't Jennifer Knight though which is probably what you mean.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:13 pm

If the explore more about his Mother's past, they ought to have a flashback from TOS, of who she really was, and make it whomever, just say they changed her name, for witness protection.........

TwilightPro101
Recruit

Post by TwilightPro101 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:48 pm

Do agree. That part of the story really needs to be fleshed out. Would be a nice way to bring in the Hoff.

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:41 am

"There are things that Mike can teach Kitt than no computer programmer can."

Oh, really? What's that? How to use a toilet seat? (I'm sorry but some of the answers are really provocative)

"Does Kitt have to be in attack mode to keep bullets and things from penetrating?
No."

Then how come he has to maintain in attack mode when using the turbo boost function in order to stay out of injuries? Doesn't make any sense! If you would perform that jump in reallife with a attack-mode-Mustang the whole car would suffer some real extensive damage, whereas if you'd do that with a regular Mustang it wouldn't sustain all that damage. In other words, he should be able to do the jump when not in attack mode. Right now he can't do that but he can withstand a 12-gauge-shotgun at near range?

"The writers are working on getting him on two wheels in an episode."

Kind of difficult to get a Mustang with 20" alloy wheels, lowered suspention and a wide bodykit on two wheels, don't you think? I guess he would have to do this in attack mode as well?

"We’re working on it, but I don’t have enough cars to wreck yet."

You don't have to use a 80 grand Mustang or whatever. Surely you have the budget to buy a couple used Mustang Coupe's for the purpose of performing the turbo boost? A brand new Mustang Coupe is based at $19,735, it's a steal!!!
Michael: Kitt what matters to me is who you are not what you look like. Sure we don't have the car so we can't turbo boost so we can't go over 200 miles an hour but it was all icing on the cake anyway

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:20 am

Oh, really? What's that? How to use a toilet seat? (I'm sorry but some of the answers are really provocative)
How so? Learning AIs aren't something new, in real life or in entertainment. The Terminator was one. Why do people have such a huge problem with that?

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:49 am

Hehe, terminator! Remember what John O'Connor was teaching him? How to act as a more down-to-earth robot - something along the lines of - "You don't say affirmative, you say no problemo!" or "When you terminate someone you say hasta la vista, baby!" He had him loosen up a bit, he didn't have to teach him in how to fire a weapon, drive a car or act in combat. The terminator knew all of those stuff and since Ki3t is the most advanced car in the world he must know quite a bit him too. The old Kitt was even a government defense computer before he got installed in a Trans Am.

Of course... people do program computers and their artificial intelligence on a regular basis and they've done so for quite a while now, there's nothing wrong with that. For instance, the chess computer "Deep Blue", he was programmed to learn from his mistakes, remember that? Kasparov discovered a breach in the computer and used his weakness to eliminate him from the game. The scientists discovered that too and had him reprogrammed to learn from his mistakes and after that Kasparov didn't stand a chance.
This is what true programming is about! GST claims that there are things that Mike can teach Kitt in which no other computer programmer can! Really? That has to be really huge and as he isn't a rocketscientist one might wonder what it could be.
Michael: Kitt what matters to me is who you are not what you look like. Sure we don't have the car so we can't turbo boost so we can't go over 200 miles an hour but it was all icing on the cake anyway

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:17 am

....loyalty, respect, humour. just a couple of things Mike has already ingrained into KI3T.

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:20 am

I must have missed the episode that Mike taught KITT how to drive. Or give estimates about situations. Or calculate possible outcomes. And I was probably imagining KITT learning about the interaction between the sexes. Or joking. Or partnership.

Thompson didn't allude to anything different than that, which is what we've been seeing in the show and it's perfectly plausible.

scottab21
FLAG Recruit

Post by scottab21 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:35 am

PHOENIXZERO wrote:Possibly? Jennifer Knight was Garthe's sister remember? ;) The Jennifer from the backdoor pilot wasn't Jennifer Knight though which is probably what you mean.
Yes, I was mentioning it alluding to the Jennifer in the backdoor pilot. The new Knight writers blog asks a question about it, and there is an answer in a very cryptic way. It makes me wonder, since she was the only link between Mike Tracer and his dad... Is GST hinting at something that could be big, VERY big in the KR universe... 8)

:kitt: :karr:

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:58 am

I must have missed the episode that Mike taught KITT how to drive. Or give estimates about situations. Or calculate possible outcomes.
Was I talking about Mike teaching Kitt any of those things? No...

You said that the terminator was a learning AI and I was merely pointing out that his capabilities of doing different things like driving and fighting were already established in advance, in other words there was no need for John O'Connor to teach him those things. This is also the case with Ki3t. He already knows how to drive etc. etc. so he doesn't need Mike to tell him how to do that.
And I was probably imagining KITT learning about the interaction between the sexes. Or joking.
Are these things really all that critical for Ki3t to learn before he can carry out a mission successfully?