Live Discussion Thread: A Hard Day's Knight

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Shapeshifter
FLAG Recruit

Re: Live Discussion Thread: A Hard Day's Knight

Post by Shapeshifter » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:19 pm

PHOENIXZERO wrote: Okay, watching it again now I guess they did either have a dummy in the seat or the VFX team added someone, I doubt they'd actually have someone in there while the car was spinning though, heh.
OK, I do know for a fact that there WAS an actual stuntman in the car. They made it appear to rotate faster than it actually did, but there was someone in the car.

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Sue » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:02 pm

Knight-Armen wrote: The chinese girl is getting really annoying and in some cases you might percieve her as retarded, like for instance when she tastes the blood from Mikes clothes in the Ki3t cave.
Knight-Armen wrote:
eh? Were we watching the same show? But anyway she knew it was fake blood made from syrup.
I'm not sure of what you're talking about. Just because it's fake blood doesn't mean you should taste it. :roll:
weeezl wrote:Was'nt it Darion Richards, the billionare guy they staged the fake assassination on's blood?

He says something like "if Id known you were using so much fake blood, Id have worn a less expensive shirt"
I meant it wasn't Mike. But it's all good I got what you meant.
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

Crumbling Down
FLAG Recruit

Post by Crumbling Down » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:47 am

When did the Chinese girl taste the blood? I remember the guy saying I would have worn a less expensive shirt. Was it before that? If she truly did taste the blood that only can make me like her less.
Booonnnnnzzzzaaaaaiii!!!!!!!! As michael turbo boosts to score the extra point. His face is so funny when he yells this and when he hits turbo boost his eyes get huge and he flies back into the seat

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:13 am

It was right after he said about a less expensive shirt.

She said in her dizziest voice "tastes like Cherry" or whatever it was she thought it tasted like.

It's a pity the Zoe character is such a ditz, cos she's got the best smile out of any of the cast members. Her whole face really lights up when she smiles.
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

stevefawcett
Operative

Post by stevefawcett » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:35 am

wonder how many more lines they are gonna slip in from the 80s????? where he said it only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades??? did anyone hear that too?

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:36 am

You know, the title for this episode was rather fitting with Mike being tired and a bit worn out at the start of the episode, kind of fitting with the Beetles song, an obvious reference as it was meant to be maybe?
Knight-Armen wrote: The chinese girl
Smith Cho is of Korean decent, not Chinese.
Shapeshifter wrote:
PHOENIXZERO wrote: Okay, watching it again now I guess they did either have a dummy in the seat or the VFX team added someone, I doubt they'd actually have someone in there while the car was spinning though, heh.
OK, I do know for a fact that there WAS an actual stuntman in the car. They made it appear to rotate faster than it actually did, but there was someone in the car.
Ahh, okay, I knew they sped it up but I didn't think they'd actually have someone in the car while it was going upside down and everything. :P

It was cool to see the covering over the under side of the car, there was a lack of the KR so I guess that transforms too, heh.
Last edited by PHOENIXZERO on Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Knight4life
Operative

Post by Knight4life » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:39 am

This is the first episode since the series premiere that has made me watch it twice! I am definately looking forward to this show!

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:50 am

PHOENIXZERO wrote:It was cool to see the covering over the under side of the car, there was a lack of the KR so I guess that transforms too, heh.
Knight-Armen wrote: The chinese girl
Smith Cho is of Korean decent, not Chinese.
But is her character suppose to be Chinese or Korean? ;)

One aspect of this new KR show I am really enjoying is the high-tech gadgets. I know my kids really like that kind of "spy gadgets" stuff too.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:13 am

D'oh! Yeah, I checked again, specifically looking for it and noticed it right away. Probably should either get my eyes checked or pay a little more attention.

I don't think it's been established, not even a last name to go off of, but then again it really doesn't matter so right now the character is basically just Asian, she's the "Asian Sensation" as Billy apparently puts it. :lol:
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:10 am

Great episode...

Also something that the new series has that was criticised in the pilot on this board, Ki3t ALWAYS has a scanner, even in the 'police car' mode. The people on the show are either totally on our wavelength or paying attention to this board. Either way, i'd like to say THANKS to all concerned.

I dunno about US/Canadian 'watershed' times for TV but apparently its ok for Mike to say "pissed" at 7/8pm on TV???

Im certainly not a prudish person, using that kind of language and far worse in my own life but for KR??? Im not sure it fits in with the same age group TOS was aimed at...

A murbo loost woulda been nice even though unnecessary in this ep, M K jnr is the son of a thrill seeker (white rock episode where he went climbing for kicks. or when they TB'd over Devon when he was on a bike....) and would certainly use Ki3t to this end maybe even against Torres's wishes....

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:07 am

Personally I consider "piss/pissing/pissed" in the context of anger to be rather low-tier when it comes to swearing, on the same level as damn, which was used in the original series, specifically by KARR in KITT vs KARR. Can't remember if there were other times it was used but that was the most prominent.

Either way, little kids likely hear worse on a school playground.

LeslieGruffod
Rookie

Post by LeslieGruffod » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:28 pm

I cringed when I saw Mike (I still call him that, I realise its MIchael now) remove the perfect face mask. Then I caught myself remembering, that perfect face masks are a thing of the Knight Rider universe, as demonstrated by the Chameleon, and the lady impersonating Bonnie in the killer Kitt episode. So that was soon forgiven.

This episode was a lot stronger than the last one -- which, I thought sucked. I would have gone for a stronger ending... There's always a smidging of disappointment when the good guys show up in cars and vans with guns to save the day, when a punch thrown my Michael Knight on the bad guy would have been much more satisfying, no matter what state he was in.

The Mike/Sarah stuff was perhaps too intense, too soon. That kind of stuff would have been more suited for a future episode, after further tension.

However, those nit-picks aside, a solid episode.

I still favour episode 2 as the best of the bunch so far.

In order of favouritism:
Episode 2
Episode 4
Episode 1
Episode 3

For a growing and evolving show, I have to say, overall I'm loving the new series :good:

GTiGirl
Rookie

Post by GTiGirl » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:33 pm

I liked this episode. 5 *'s. For me the one with more suspense till now. We were hoping to see how Mike get rid of the poison. The part when Sarah injected the needle made me a little bit of impression, but it was great :good:

The audience for this episode is promising!

Regards to all :good:
Knight Rider Portugal: http://knightriderportugal.forumeiros.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Trendane
Recruit

Post by Trendane » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:41 pm

GTiGirl wrote:The part when Sarah injected the needle made me a little bit of impression
Heh....she's lucky the needle wasn't any longer. Given the angle at which she shot him, it would've come out the other side of his hand.
--
Trendane
Looking at the future...in retrospect.

Knight2000
FLAG Recruit

Post by Knight2000 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:48 pm

This was the first episode I liked more than 50%. JB's acting was a little better. Less interference, more coherent storyline. It felt more important.

The beginning, with the switching etc and the KITT-as-a-van mode was used quite well. I agree with the comments that they should have blindfolded or in some way hidden the path to the SCC. Didn't really like the whole spin thing but it wasn't too bad.

I personally think Sarah gets too much airtime in the show. IMO it should be 75% KITT and Mike, with the remaining 25% SCC/Sarah/etc. It feels less of a "one-man, one-machine" show. Didn't miss Rivai while she was away so I'm leaning towards her being less prominent on the show.
PHOENIXZERO wrote: I think the cop car scene showed a bit of KITT learning with his tapping into the police frequency without being told to do so like he was to reverse just before that.
This is how I wanted KI2T to be - less reliant on human input and more autonomous with his actions.
Rockatteer wrote: It's a pity the Zoe character is such a ditz
She reminds me of Amy from Futurama!

I loved some of the feel of TOS. The beginning where MK and KI3T stop in the desert, or the way they drive off at the end. I felt waves of nostalgia coming from this ep.

I honestly feel this episode would have fared better had it been towards the end of the season or even series. There'd be a lot more emotion. Viewers would actually care that MK was going to die. Doing it right at the beginning and you know JB's going to live, just not how.

MR2NR wrote:Well to bad Obwawmama is going to make us wait 2 weeks for the next episode
WHAT?!?!?!?

LeslieGruffod
Rookie

Post by LeslieGruffod » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:08 pm

The big problem with using Sarah so much in the main central story, is that the Mike-Kitt relationship takes a back seat.

If this plot was done in the original show, it would have been all about Kitt's concern for Mike's continuously debilitating state, and their bond (with flashes on the vid phone to Devon and Bonnie). Instead, it was all about Sarah's concern. Whilst she remains massive parts of the main plot, we aren't seeing the Mike-Kitt relationship develop as well as it could be doing. Fair enough if you are into romance, but you can get that on any show, any time.

But I'd like to put forth what Glen Larson said on UK TV not so long back, that people tuned into the original, for two reasons: they were in love with the car, or the Hoff.

Bonnie was cute and so is Sarah, but she is being over-used to the detriment of the REAL relationship of the show, man and car.

Trendane
Recruit

Post by Trendane » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:18 pm

Knight2000 wrote:I honestly feel this episode would have fared better had it been towards the end of the season or even series. There'd be a lot more emotion. Viewers would actually care that MK was going to die. Doing it right at the beginning and you know JB's going to live, just not how.
That is an excellent point. This episode had the vibe of a season/series closer where they flashback onto vignettes from earlier episodes. A prime example of this would be the end of the first season of "Stargate: SG-1" when Senator Kinsey and his crew were recounting the missions of SG-1 while trying to determine if the program should be shut down. As you mention, such an episode would only have the necessary impact if the audience is already familiar with the characters. Otherwise, with no emotion invested, there are no sympathies/hatreds on which to play.
--
Trendane
Looking at the future...in retrospect.

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:48 pm

LeslieGruffod wrote:The big problem with using Sarah so much in the main central story, is that the Mike-Kitt relationship takes a back seat.

If this plot was done in the original show, it would have been all about Kitt's concern for Mike's continuously debilitating state, and their bond (with flashes on the vid phone to Devon and Bonnie). Instead, it was all about Sarah's concern. Whilst she remains massive parts of the main plot, we aren't seeing the Mike-Kitt relationship develop as well as it could be doing. Fair enough if you are into romance, but you can get that on any show, any time.

But I'd like to put forth what Glen Larson said on UK TV not so long back, that people tuned into the original, for two reasons: they were in love with the car, or the Hoff.

Bonnie was cute and so is Sarah, but she is being over-used to the detriment of the REAL relationship of the show, man and car.
Great points and nicely said. I agree. The show need to focus on Mike and Kitt, that's what Knight Rider is about. If they can't do that they need to change the name of the show to Viper 08.

LeslieGruffod
Rookie

Post by LeslieGruffod » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:54 pm

Rockatteer wrote: Great points and nicely said. I agree. The show need to focus on Mike and Kitt, that's what Knight Rider is about. If they can't do that they need to change the name of the show to Viper 08.
:lol: @ Viper.

Thanks. I'm not saying Sarah shouldn't have her screen time. But I feel 4 episodes in, she's been focused on too much. I like her character. I think she should be part of the Kitt cave team more, and less in the car.

However, it was still a solid episode. :good:

vertigo778
Knight Rider 2008 Creative

Post by vertigo778 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:57 pm

for the record, there was a stuntman in the car when it was spinning around . . .

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:07 pm

BLOOPER....Just after Mike puts the guy in the back of the 'van mode' Kitt, just as Kitt drives off in 'auto mode' there we see the arm of the driver of the van turning the steering wheel...

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:09 pm

Knight2000 wrote:I honestly feel this episode would have fared better had it been towards the end of the season or even series. There'd be a lot more emotion. Viewers would actually care that MK was going to die. Doing it right at the beginning and you know JB's going to live, just not how.
While that may be true, I'm glad they showed this good episode, it restored a lot of confidence in the show I thought.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:59 pm

vertigo778 wrote:for the record, there was a stuntman in the car when it was spinning around . . .

Already cleared up. :) Though more confirmation can't hurt. :good:

blade2688
Stranger

Post by blade2688 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:34 am

Hey I wanted to know what was the name of the song that was played when Sarah walks in with her dress for the wedding. It starts out "Ohhh Yeah I want it" then some really good techno sounds and cuts to dialogs. If you know the name can you let me know, I have been searching up and down and sideways of the internet to find it.

Xebec
Volunteer

Post by Xebec » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:00 am

I didn't read the entire thread, so forgive me if this has been covered.

Before that, let me say:

* I AM enjoying the new series.
* I agree some posters that the characters are too aloof and unrealistic when Michael is in danger
* I agree with some posters that they're not too careful about securty.
* I like Kitt's personality.

Now, while I enjoyed this episode, there were some major plot problems...

(**** SPOILERS ***)

* What kind of idiot employer gives a drug to his assassin that a) makes him hallucinate and appear under the influence, and b) makes him tell the TRUTH!! ?? Not only is that likely to make him botch the job, but it could make him give the employer or himself away. Ridiculous.

* At the end, the employer believes the hit was a success. He runs away and clearly has no intention of providing the antidote. So, why did he bother transferring $10,000,000 to the assassin's oversees account? Ridiculous.

* Once Michael was poisoned, why did they send him to do the assassination? There was no need for him to be the one. Anyone could have done it. It wasn't even a difficult task. They had the coat ticket and the location. The FBI lady could have done it -- and better. They knew Michael was disfunctional, which would likely result in a botched mission, but they sent him, anyway. Ridiculous.

* And, on a minor point, the relationship between Michael and Sara borders on completely silly. She says they can't be together. That part of their lives are over. We know she still cares for him, but if she's decided they can't be together, then why the heck is she inviting him to a wedding and why is she going to the beach with him. I get the writers want to go with the whole sexual tension thing, but how about a little finesse and subtlety? How about making us wonder and root for them?

Oh well. So far, the series is FAR superior to the pilot, and I'm enjoying it. But, I wish the writers would try a little harder.