Dan Paris in movie rumor, part 2

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Michael Pajaro
Advisor
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Dan Paris in movie rumor, part 2

Post by Michael Pajaro » Wed Mar 26, 2003 1:21 pm

The background: about 2 months ago, an Australian newspaper reported that Aussie soap opera star Dan Paris from "Neighbors" was in talks with Revolution Studios as a potential candidate for the new Knight Rider movie. It seems that at the time this was news to Dan Paris himself.

Yesterday I received a message from Dan Paris' agent:

"This seems to have been one of those wild worldwide urban acting myths. I have just returned from LA and met with some execs at the studio that is set to do the movie. My understanding is they are a fair way off casting.

Kind regards,
Julie Torrance"

I believe the "myth" she refers to is the idea that Dan Paris was already selected to be KITT's driver, which was never reported not implied in the original. I'm sure Julie Torrance represents many actors, and she could have been meeting with the studio for a dozen reasons other than Knight Rider. But I think it's safe to say that at the very least, Revolution knows who Dan Paris is.

Mike
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

JL
Operative

Re: Dan Paris in movie rumor, part 2

Post by JL » Wed Mar 26, 2003 1:23 pm

Michael Pajaro wrote:But I think it's safe to say that at the very least, Revolution knows who Dan Paris is.
Which is more than I can say. :P

SadArticle
Operative

Post by SadArticle » Wed Mar 26, 2003 2:55 pm

Stop scaring me! :wink: It's almost surreal how Dan Paris is being mentioned in connection with the upcoming film. I hated him in 'Neighbours' - his death was the best episode in years, from my standpoint - and now this! Argh!

Sarah
We'll never get the smell out of the upholstery - Kitt, Knightlines

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Wed Mar 26, 2003 3:45 pm

Very interesting communication Mike! Kind of makes me excited just the fact that there are people meeting about the future of the series, even if there isn't any news.

it's better than no discussion at all.

chadwick626
Recruit

Post by chadwick626 » Wed Mar 26, 2003 7:41 pm

..so.. i never found this out.. why isnt hasselhoff starring?

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Wed Mar 26, 2003 7:53 pm

We don't know that Hasselhoff ISN'T starring in the movie. All that has been reported is taht Hasselhoff "may" have an on-screen role. We have no idea exactly what that means.

What our best GUESS is that Hasselhoff isn't exactly a youngster any longer, and if they want the movie to fit in with the "young loner" theme then they will have to find someone else to star in the movie. We don't know if the character of Michael Knight would be played by someone else, or if Hasselhoff would make an appearance as an older Michael Knight.

We simply just don't know much about anything regarding the movie. It's still very early.

Mike

Darknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Darknight » Wed Mar 26, 2003 9:50 pm

I sure am glad that Paris isn't likely to be the MK type, or, hopefully, associated with KR at all. Besides the fact that he's ugly, he just doesn't fit the image. Now, about the guy who should play the leading role, well...ya know. I'm a decent looking guy; I'm not too bad of an actor, and I have about the right type of general character to fit the slot. Well, I may be dreaming, but hey, why not, eh? ;)

DK

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Thu Mar 27, 2003 4:19 am

SadArticle wrote:Stop scaring me! :wink: It's almost surreal how Dan Paris is being mentioned in connection with the upcoming film. I hated him in 'Neighbours' - his death was the best episode in years, from my standpoint - and now this! Argh!

Sarah
More like the funniest I have ever seen!!!

Anyway, whilst were on the subject, any ideas who'll be directing this film. The script atleast is in safe hands, we know atleast that KITT will be voiced be William Daniels (I hope?) and the special effects that I have seen coming from Revolutions (xXx and black hawk down) suggest that that these parts are in good hands aswell.....but direction will be critical if this film is to not look like a slapstick job, any ideas?

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Mar 27, 2003 7:47 am

There hasn't been any rumblings about who is the Director, I think its far to early in the scripting stage for any of that to be decided. However, if this movie follows suit to similar action movies, it will probably be some ex music video director.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Mar 27, 2003 12:41 pm

Young studios like Revolution are especially eager to establish relationships with directors, producers and actors. If you want to predict who will direct the Knight Rider movie, I think a good place to start is looking at directors they have used in the past.

Mike

Tarmac
Rookie

Post by Tarmac » Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:15 am

They need to use this guy for the KR movie:

Ok so he probably can't act but he sure as hell resembles MK and can easily pass for his son and it would make sense plot wise...imo a perfect choice to continue the KR mission.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:23 am

I can't help but agree. Not to mention, he still managed to make bimbos think he was a millionaire, so maybe he can act enough to run, jump, say a few lines, and ride off into the sunset.

KI

March2875
FLAG Recruit

Post by March2875 » Fri Mar 28, 2003 7:22 am

What law dictates that the celebrity has to resemble David?

Why can't FLAG just search for any old operative that fits the original category of a Police officer or whatever else there was. He doesn't even have to have the last name of Knight really.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Fri Mar 28, 2003 12:54 pm

Because you will then have Knight Rider 2000, Team Knight Rider and *shudder* Knight Rider 2010.

It is a way for the audience to identify with the original, while embracing the future. If you want that combination, then you need to be able to visit the original concepts in some form. A David look alike with a Knight last name would be a good way to do that.

KI

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri Mar 28, 2003 1:15 pm

March2875 wrote:What law dictates that the celebrity has to resemble David?
Agreed. Hasselhoff fit the profile of the 70s-80s action hero: Magnum, Steve Austin, The Bandit... They strutted around with their shirts unbuttoned and chest hair sticking out and definitely had a big macho-vibe going. But many of today's heros are more clean-cut, leaner, more pretty-boyish than they were back then. Who would have thought that Tobey Maguire would be an action star?! Even Vin Diesel has a young boyish face.

Whether or not they go with Dan Paris, he has the look that I would expect them to use if they want to update the show for today's audience.

Mike

SadArticle
Operative

Post by SadArticle » Fri Mar 28, 2003 4:07 pm

March2875 wrote:What law dictates that the celebrity has to resemble David?

Why can't FLAG just search for any old operative that fits the original category of a Police officer or whatever else there was. He doesn't even have to have the last name of Knight really.
I was just going to bring this point up again, March.

Why does the new operative have to look like David Hasselhoff? Tarmac's comment was basically 'It doesn't matter if the new person can act, as long as he looks like David'! :shock: What? That's crazy!

Yes, the show should retain some familiar qualities, but if David isn't going to play the main character, at least let Michael remain Michael - ie, David - in a background role. Dressing a plank of wood up in a leather jacket and tight jeans just because he has curly hair and a boyish charm is insanity! Talk about Hollywood being based on looks alone.

What made Michael a good character wasn't Hasselhoff's looks, it was the actor's interpretation of Larson's character and the scriptwriters' words and actions. If David's bright grin and blue eyes, his curly hair, and his chest rug, make people think 'Knight Rider' then it's only because those attributes finished off a package, like wrapping.

I just think character should come over nostalgic aesthetics (TM) :wink:

Sarah
We'll never get the smell out of the upholstery - Kitt, Knightlines

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Fri Mar 28, 2003 4:22 pm

It was just an opinion...

Everybody is going to have differing opinions. From a producer's standpoint, even hasselhoff said that he was meant to be the man of six words.

Yeah, it would be nice if we could have a good character, but pretty boys sell if they are unknown. It's a known fact. Dim Weasel (I still love it!) was considered total buff eye candy to the masses, he can't act to save his butt, but he sure draws the droolers in. And despite the few people who think that Hasselhoff sucked, for the most part, he was the pretty boy hired to drive the car, who turned out that he could actually be the part a little bit more.

If we are going to get stuck with dumb eye candy, then give me something that at least fits with the show. Nothing is ever going to satisfy us with a new operative. It was pretty much proven with KR2K, and TKR, and no two people are ever going to agree on it, that much is pretty much proven. You re-interpreted Tarmac's comment to fit your statement, (a habit that is getting a little too prevelant in this community.) I was basically able to take it as "ok, so he can't act, but he could fit in with a son-type storyline" there was no need to judge the comment in the "What? That's crazy!" fashion. He made that statement in general, not to say that it would be perfect to copy on. Just going off of the RUMORS that we have been fed, and going in different directions with it.

It was a general explanation of a point of view that actually has been quite popular in the past, it would be nice to have character, but even you have picked on Hasselhoff's character in the past. Face it, we are looking at this thing as a revisitation to nostalgia, not to be the greatest next biggest thing since sliced bread. If we are looking at it that way, then no matter what, we are going to be disappointed.

So let's ease up on the judge fest okies?

KI

KARR101
Volunteer

Post by KARR101 » Sun Mar 30, 2003 9:37 pm

I agree tarmac that guy would make a perfect michael knight

chadwick626
Recruit

Post by chadwick626 » Mon Mar 31, 2003 1:24 am

wait a sec.. what teh hell is knight rider 2010

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Mon Mar 31, 2003 1:27 am

A TV Movie made in the early 90's that used the Knight Rider name, but had little to nothing to do with Knight Rider.

KI