Live Discussion Thread: Knight of the Iguana

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Re: Live Discussion Thread: Knight of the Iguana

Post by PunkMaister » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:47 pm

Kram061-1 wrote:2. The end twist was too fast...I totally missed the why they are blowing up the powerplant part, not to mention, the smart missle ended up doing so little damage I doubt it could have penetrated the concrete at the power plant...Michael should have been DEAD.

I still think Sarah drives KITT way, WAY, WAY, WAY TOO MUCH. How many times did Bonnie or April or Devon drive KITT? once, maybe twice? She isn't Daisy Duke, she is a frickin mechanic. She serves NO purpose so far on ANY of these missions, except for the one with the bikini, of course......and if she owned KITT, how come she was so surprised in the pilot? Like she'd never seen or hear of such a vehicle? If she was just sitting in KITT, and he was driving, I'd say okay. But now it's like, suddenly, she has had the same training as Mike Tracuer? He was an Army Ranger, so what? They sent her to Special Force's School? :x

Other than this, AND no alterted steering wheel, I am thus far pleased with the show :!: :good: :mrgreen: :good: :good: :good:
Well Sarah is far more than just a mechanic she is in fact a freaking scientist like her father and she also has unlike Bonnie full combat training to boot, besides this is no longer the 80's with the eternal subject of the damsel in distress. Now the Damsels simply kick ass all the way thru! :mrgreen: Besides I love Sara or to be more the super hot actress portraying her! :P

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:44 pm

i'm not saying I don't like her, she just shouldn't be driving KITT! It's not the General Lee and she isn't Daisy Duke. She's probably hotter than Daisy, I'll give you that :D . But what I am saying is, KITT should be more with Michael. One thing I am thinking is what happened to that remote control car they had? Maybe that's why KITT don't drive himeself anymore.....also, how the hell could she have full combat training? Did she join the Army Rangers for several years over the last few months? Mike was in the Special Forces for several years before the show. He had some experience other than just training......I do miss the half assed Karate Chop spinning jump kick the Hoff used to do though :mrgreen:

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:00 pm

ALSO: There is about to be a Nuclear Disaster and she is going to argue over who goes? Isn't time of the essence? Hence attack mode A.K.A.: SUPER PURSUIT MODE?

BlueChaos
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by BlueChaos » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:26 pm

Change of mind after watching this episode.

Dump Sarah.
Make Zoe a permanent cast member.
Get Billy another girl.

Problem solved :mrgreen:
"If Darth Vader had a KITT bathroom, then he would have ruled the galaxy far far away since a long long time ago..." *LASER!* :good:

knightprobe89
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightprobe89 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:46 am

i didn't like this episode as much as i liked the first two episodes, they didn't do any cool stunts, there wasn't any turbo boost in this episode, kitt didn't even talk that much, this episode reminded me of baywatch meets knight rider.overall i did not like this episode at all. not much action, i can see why the ratings might be down for this episode. and another thing, i have yet to see kitt driving by himself in this series, and how come kitt never comes to mikes rescue like in the original series, what happened to the remote control kitt from the 2 hr pilot? will kitt ever crash through anything? i think they need to get some of the writers from the original series because this ship is sinking fast.
in glen larson we trust.

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:20 am

I quite enjoyed this episode, it didn't have a lot of action (like knight rider should have) but it had a lot of humor in it between Mike and Zoe, and a couple of good fight scenes. I liked Kitt's X-ray too, that was kewl.

I must say though that I've noticed a disturbing trend in these 3 episodes... Is it more or are the stories far too much about the people instead of Mike and Kitt? The humans seem to have bigger roles than Kitt in these stories. Tonights episode to me seemed like Kitt was a bit part.

I still think the writers a producers don't get Knight Rider. Kitt needs to be one of the 2 main characters, not just a tool the other characters use.
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KnightINSTINCT
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightINSTINCT » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:48 am

KITT can't interrogate like his human counterparts. KITT can't go undercover....wait a second....well, KITT can't go undercover and interrogate.

How are you thinking on making it more like Mike and KITT's show? get rid of everyone else? They all seemed pretty second fiddle still to me.

Knight4life
Operative

Post by Knight4life » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:24 am

Just saw the episode,last week i saw a 'ray of hope' & i really liked episode 2 (aside from it's vfx flaws).This week the producers literally ruined that ray of hope.Knight Rider will not survive,even if it goes up to 2 seasons (which seems really hard at this point) it'll not be considered as a 'good/entertaining' tv show.The show i envisioned KR to be,it's not even close nor it's reflects what a KR show was supposed to be(at this point i am not comparing it with the original).Excess of unnecessary elements have been added to show as stated my fellow posters.GST told us that he went to some critics association and despite the 2 hr getting bad reviews that association was impressed by the 2 hr pilot and were looking forward to the show coz GST told them that they haven't seen anything yet.What GST and other producers have been doing so far is weird and sort of mish mashed.Sometimes the show looks like it's aiming for kids(look out for the sequence of that sonar wave that changes the trajectory of the rocket wud only look good in cartoons like kim possible or ben 10).With the abundance of sexual references they are aiming teens.So what's the target audience then?The producers in my eyes are themselves confused and simply don't know what to cater.i am usually a strict critic.But for the love of KR i have been lenient all this time.With this episode the producers have made me angry :evil: .The VFX unit is finding 'excuses' of budget and time constraints.Couldn't they use a miniature to show that pathetic underwater sequence?We all heard the water splash noise when kitt was hit by the rocket (so what was the suspense in not showing that it fell into the sea bed?)If they thought it was a great cliffhanger at this stage then frankly it was not.I am really sorry for being harsh.Episode 2 is the best episode by far.They need to look into matters to make this show a memorable sequel to an established franchise.

HyperCaz
Rookie

Post by HyperCaz » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:47 am

I'll have to agree with Rockatteer... it was far too much about the other characters. I think they clutter what could be some good development between Mike and Kitt - and there's just not enough room for all that comic relief AND serious development.

That said, I did like Billy in this episode. :) I thought the faked toilet emergency was quite inspired.

EDIT: oh, can't go by without mentioning the Devon and Bonnie thing. A part of me found it funny, but a bigger part of me felt kind of offended. :|
BEWARE: shipper alert

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:49 am

i didn't like this episode as much as i liked the first two episodes, they didn't do any cool stunts, there wasn't any turbo boost in this episode, kitt didn't even talk that much, this episode reminded me of baywatch meets knight rider.overall i did not like this episode at all. not much action, i can see why the ratings might be down for this episode. and another thing, i have yet to see kitt driving by himself in this series, and how come kitt never comes to mikes rescue like in the original series, what happened to the remote control kitt from the 2 hr pilot? will kitt ever crash through anything? i think they need to get some of the writers from the original series because this ship is sinking fast.
you're probably on to something here, but I doubt it will change. At least not right away, I'd imagine most of these 13 Episodes are already filmed. But I do agree GST should go back and watch TOS on DVD again. I do like the show, but there are better shows out there to watch, and if GST isn't careful
KITT's wheels are gonna come off
rather quick, because I think NBC would axe this show in a heartbeat!

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:40 pm

Does Micheal and Sarah know who Devon and Bonnie are?

Just wondering because of the looks on their faces when they heard the names.

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:42 pm

BlueChaos wrote:Change of mind after watching this episode.

Dump Sarah.
Make Zoe a permanent cast member.
Get Billy another girl.

Problem solved :mrgreen:
Who are you kidding, seriously dude!
Attachments
Dump Deanna Russo are you kidding?
Dump Deanna Russo are you kidding?
Deanna Russo01.jpg (48.27 KiB) Viewed 123512 times

viper_defender
Recruit

Post by viper_defender » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Not a Bad episode!

It seems to me they're expanding the major roles a bit more... Using less CGI, but the Kitt sub to me is pretty good i see it like a homage to the classic Lotus Esprit submarine carImage from the spy who loved me, i half expected Mike or Zoe to pull out a fish and hand it to a bystander like what Roger Moore did. At least i didnt see the 4x4 Kitt, i hope they scrap that... this sort of reminds me where the Defender gets forced into the water and turned into a hovercraft.

All in all it was a more detective episode rather than an action episode... They're getting better at this, the tounge in cheek humor was pretty good actually.
Knight Rider 1984
Viper 1994
Knight Rider 2008
Men and Machines that make a Difference!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRzKrzXod6Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; See how the Morph!

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:07 pm

I was SOOOO impressed by last weeks episode that this one appears WORSE than Voodoo Knights from TOS....

Having 'Devon' and 'Bonnie' as code names was purely a passing nod to TOS and served no purpose storywise and furthermore for fans of TOS, no resolution as to the fate of the original characters bearing those names....

Mike SHOULD have been on his own for this mission. Billy and Zoe's lines could have easily been delivered from the 'KITTCAVE' (which they referenced and that felt a little weird but i suppose as characters they are entitled to 'nickname' their place of work which also happens to be the home of a fictional super car....)

Again, no Agent Ravai.... Not missed....

I'm not saying 'don't want' her in storylines but the way its been written, what was the point of introducing her.
More to the point, in this episode specifically, Carrie WAS a surfer in the pilot and there was absolutely no explanation to her wherabouts.

Its patronising of the writers of that episode to think that throwing in names of characters from 25 years ago will pacify us original fans but at the same time expect we have the memory of goldfish where the new mythology is concerned....

At this point, I think i am currently about to d/L 13 eps of the best chance Knight Rider had to come back, check the numbers of what i wrote, I want series after series (of course meaning the full 26 this season) but tonights ep WAS NOT a SELLER....

I just jumped on to edit this to explain I AM MOST DEFINITELY NOT A NEW KNIGHT RIDER HATER..... so much potential, i am well up for this to be a success....
Last edited by pheonix_knight on Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:08 pm

I noticed they said in this episode that even in attack mode Kitt couldn't' withstand 4 k-17 missiles. Does that mean Kitt is somehow stronger in attack mode than normal mode?

I must say too, in this episode we get to see a bit more of attack mode Kitt, instead of the edgy wobbly camera type shots, and the car doesn't look any worse than SPM Kitt from TOS really.

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:27 pm

Saying KITT can ONLY withstand certain impacts in certain guises does not make sense based on the pure "science" from the series and, to be fair the pilot CAN be included in this even though certain parts of history have been re-done.

Kitts object generator, which manifested itself for the key for the car last week, makes sense in the world of Kitts transformations (where body parts can appear to make up more than the original sum of parts, ie 4x4 mode, speaking as a complete 'layman' and absolute fan of BOTH series)

KITT IS the controller of the nanotech so in theory would be able to manipulate his shell as he did in the 'Knight in Shining Armor' ep (which WAS IN STANDARD MUSTANG MODE!!!!!!!!! KEEP UP WRITERS!!!!!) to protect the occupants (in this case it should have only been michael knight)

Goldwings
Rookie

Post by Goldwings » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:13 am

I really have mixed feelings about this episode. I was happy to see the writers pay tribute to the characters of Bonnie/Devon but somehow feel a tad cheapened by it because I honestly do not like how some of the character development is going for Zoe/Sarah/Mike/really-bad-nerd-guy (can't remember his name sadly -.-). I also do not care for how the two women were portrayed in this episode. It just struck me as two catty bitches quarreling over a guy and the whole episode seemed to focus on that rather than developing the rest of it. I also HATE how they portray that nerdy guys character, it is overdone, unrealistic and borderlines on insulting to me. (I am a engineering/physics double major, maybe that is why it is so insulting to me). They really need to have more interaction with KI3T and keep developing him. I do not mind when KI3T ask questions on relationships, I could understand that being created into 'consciousness", having no culture to fall back on for the "do and don't" rules for asking such things and being curious to understand human relationships.

bson
Volunteer

Post by bson » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:17 am

Attention! This is a hostage situation. Unless our demands are met, this show will be cancelled with extreme prejudice. These are our demands:

1. More KITT.

2. More KITT and Michael.

3. More KITT and Michael without the whole freakin cast.

4. Girls can ride, but they do not drive.

5. No more bad CGI.

5. Less talk, unless between Michael and KITT, and more action.

6. No more bad acting and cheesey lines.

7. Girls in bikinis are fine to watch, but they don't go on the mission.

8. Less grins and giggles. Be more serious.

9. Every episode can't take place at the beach or a bar.

10. Michaels mysterious past is already boring. Move on!

Thankyou and have a great day! :D

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:30 am

DId anyone else notice when Micheal and Billy where playing with the water shooters, that Billy didn't look anything like the nerd he's spose to be? he looked more like a stand in form Micheal.

HyperCaz
Rookie

Post by HyperCaz » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:50 am

bson wrote:6. No more bad acting and cheesey lines.
Tell that to TOS... :wink: cheesy lines are part of the KR tradition. :roll: But I agree with everything else you said.
BEWARE: shipper alert

Garthe Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Garthe Knight » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:28 am

And since this is demand-saturday:
11. No more transformations (get rid of the truck and ugly attack mode).

Shikhir
Stranger

Post by Shikhir » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:25 pm

I agree with your point about the weapons smuggling theme. It is as though Bush's political advisors are writing the scripts for these things. I must admit I have waited with baited breath, hoping that the next episode will be a little better. But it seems to me this series has completely missed the point of what Knight Rider is meant to be about. It's supposed to be one car, one driver.. instead it is now about one man, and 2 little girls (Sarah and Zoe) riding along in the passenger seat on the way to the family picnic. I must say I don't know if I can bear to watch another episode if things continue on the way they have..... it would be much too painful! And btw, KITT sounds literally like my GPS, and strikes me about as smart as one too. Even in the early episodes of the original series KITT had more personality than this.

DeeKnight
Operative

Post by DeeKnight » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:40 pm

Just seen eposode 3,and while itwasnt as good as last weeks it was still enjoyable. If people would stop comparing it to TOS i think they would enjoy it more. Take it for what it is,a fun hour long show!

Shikhir
Stranger

Post by Shikhir » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:01 pm

Honestly, if I were comparing this to TOS I would have stopped at the very first episode. I have tried to be as objective as I can, but when it comes down to it this new series is getting to be downright annoying. There is nothing to the central theme of this series that is even mildly interesting... oh wait a minute, there is no theme! The show is all over the place, that is my problem with it. The show is supposed to be about Michael Knight and KITT, fine update the technology, update everything else. But if you are going to change that central theme then at least make it something good! If I wanted to watch the eternal love triangle in every episode, I'd just switch to SOAPNET.

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:04 pm

pheonix_knight wrote:I'm not saying 'don't want' her in storylines but the way its been written, what was the point of introducing her. More to the point, in this episode specifically, Carrie WAS a surfer in the pilot and there was absolutely no explanation to her wherabouts.
Uh...yes they did. Mike asked for her first because he needed a surfer and Torres says she's in DC, that's when Zoe walks in and starts speaking surfer lingo.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"