Overnight Nielsons for Knight of the Iguana

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

neps
Site Administrator
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Overnight Nielsons for Knight of the Iguana

Post by neps » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:49 am

Zap2it is first this week with this tidbit:
"Bones" led the 8 p.m. hour for FOX with a 6.4/10. CBS took second with "The New Adventures of Old Christine," 5.1/9, and "Gary Unmarried," 4.9/8. "Knight Rider" came in third for NBC, beating out the 3.6/6 for "Pushing Daisies" on ABC. "America's Next Top Model" delivered a 2.8/5 for The CW.
http://www.zap2it.com/tv/ratings/zap-ra ... 3800.story" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Though I can't tell what the exact number is for KR, they forget to mention that.

We had a 4.6/7 for last week and a 4.9/8 the first.

Knight316
Operative

Re: Overnight Nielsons for Knight of the Iguana

Post by Knight316 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:50 am

That can't be a good thing. Getting beat out by the sitcoms.

Radicalas
Operative

Post by Radicalas » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:01 pm

So it should be between 4.9 and 3.6. Bad, i hoped for 5.0 and more. NBC need to push Knight Rider to 9/8c timeslot. Then people starts to tune in.
Last edited by Radicalas on Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TrueKnight
Stranger

Post by TrueKnight » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:03 pm

This show is fail because it needs to be more like TOS. What a shame. I will give it a few more episodes then stop if it doesn't become more serious, more "dark" Its the world we live in and we need to reflect it. The characters seem to go about their jobs without any passion, just aimlessly...we need to change that.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:09 pm

Tvbythenumbers gives us this data:
Bones audience grew 5% from last week and its adult demo ratings did similarly as it increased its margins of victory in all categories and sapping the competition from 8-9. Knight Rider fell about 10% from last week. New Adventures of Old Christine increased its audience and gained a tenth in the 18-49 demo, but its 18-34 demo was still startlingly weak. Prognosis: Negative. Pushing Daisies got pushed down even further from its premiere losing 12% of its audience, but maintaining its 18-49 demo at what is a dismal level. America’s Next Top Model took only a tiny audience hit, maintained its 18-49 demo, and grew its 18-34 demo a tick.

Code: Select all

Time 	Net 	Show 	Viewers Live+SD (Millons) 	18-49 Rating/ Share 	18-34 Rating/ Share
8:00 	FOX 	Bones 	10.340 	3.3/10 	2.9/9
  	CBS 	New Advs of Old Christine 	7.638 	2.1/7 	1.1/4
  	NBC 	Knight Rider 	6.732 	2.2/7 	1.8/6
  	ABC 	Pushing Daisies 	5.551 	2.0/6 	1.8/6
  	UNI 	Cuidado on el Angel 	4.320 	1.7/5 	1.9/6
  	CW 	America’s Next Top Model 	3.879 	1.8/5 	2.2/7

8:30 	CBS 	Gary Unmarried 	7.426 	2.3/6 	1.3/4

BlueChaos
FLAG Recruit

Post by BlueChaos » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:13 pm

Thanks to Wikipedia, I finally figured out how the Nielsen numbers work....

In the x/y format,
x is the percentage of TVs that were online during that period nationally
y is the percentage of x TVs that were watching the show during that period nationally.

If you just want to know how good a show is, just time x with y and you'll get the general idea. By that formula, episode 1 was 39.2 points and episode 2 was 32.2 points. 1 point equals 0.01% of TVs in the US.

So the second episode was actually doing worse than the first. We'll see how the third goes.
Last edited by BlueChaos on Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If Darth Vader had a KITT bathroom, then he would have ruled the galaxy far far away since a long long time ago..." *LASER!* :good:

Knight4life
Operative

Post by Knight4life » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:19 pm

6.7 million is really bad.They need to do something before the show gets cancelled :cry:

Knight316
Operative

Post by Knight316 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:29 pm

So it looks like even though we came in third overall, we came in second in the 18-49 and 18-34 Demos that could help us. Stupid Bones stealing our viewers.

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:46 pm

I actually enjoy "Bones" a lot (catching up to it via Netflix) and I have admit, it is a stronger show in many ways to KR. Partly because it is a police procedural (for the most part) so it follows a formula whose success is high right now (Law and Order and CSI being the big examples). I think KR might actually do better in the 9pm slot as well. I must confess to being quite worried.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

Shapeshifter
FLAG Recruit

Post by Shapeshifter » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:07 pm

A couple of bright spots; KR picked up viewers on the half-hour. It tied for second in the 18-49 demo. It was NBC's highest rated show of the night.

I don't think we need to write the obit just yet.

EdwardKnoxII
Operative

Post by EdwardKnoxII » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:22 pm

Shapeshifter wrote:A couple of bright spots; KR picked up viewers on the half-hour. It tied for second in the 18-49 demo. It was NBC's highest rated show of the night.

If that's the case they should really use that in ads for that show. Like, "The number one show for NBC on Wednesday Nights come see what everyone is watching" or something like that. Might make people turn in to see about it. It's all how you play the numbers game.

Shapeshifter
FLAG Recruit

Post by Shapeshifter » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:28 pm

EdwardKnoxII wrote:
Shapeshifter wrote:A couple of bright spots; KR picked up viewers on the half-hour. It tied for second in the 18-49 demo. It was NBC's highest rated show of the night.

If that's the case they should really use that in ads for that show. Like, "The number one show for NBC on Wednesday Nights come see what everyone is watching" or something like that. Might make people turn in to see about it. It's all how you play the numbers game.
In general I agree, but in this case, it's really not that KR's numbers are good--it's that the other shows on Wed are worse. I'm not sure you call attention to that in any way. But I think, for the survival of the show, it's good for KR to be number one for the night.

adamtrek
Recruit

Post by adamtrek » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:29 pm

I too am thinking 9 PM may be a good move during November sweeps, but they won't move it unless they are really desperate to get ratings up. It would be up against Private Practice, Criminal Minds, Til Death, and 90210.
Watching KITT turbo boost since 1982.

Judd
Operative

Post by Judd » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:36 pm

Bones 9.88 million viewers 18-49 demo 3.1/10

Old Adventures of New Christine 7.64 million viewers 18-49 demo 2.1/7

Gary Unmarried 7.43 million viewers 18-49 demo 2.3/6

Knight Rider 6.37 million viewers 18-49 demo 2.1/6

Pushing Daisies 5.75 million viewers 18-49 demo 2.3/6

At 8:30 the viewers for Knight Rider increased to 7 million.

The ratings were weaker this week. Other shows on NBC aren't doing as well as Knight Rider. The ratings pundents are saying at this time Knight Rider should be given a full season if the ratings are steady. It's doubtful if it'll be renewed for season 2 but it should get a full season.

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:04 pm

Maybe I'm missing something here...but Knight Rider has held 2nd and 3rd place so far. Does every show that doesn't get first place get cancelled?
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

EdwardKnoxII
Operative

Post by EdwardKnoxII » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:17 pm

cloudkitt wrote:Maybe I'm missing something here...but Knight Rider has held 2nd and 3rd place so far. Does every show that doesn't get first place get cancelled?
There have been cases were a show will get really good ratings but, not the kind of ratings the network wants and so they get canned.

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:24 pm

Didn't TOS get cancelled with very good ratings?

NOTGARTHKNIGHT
Stranger

Post by NOTGARTHKNIGHT » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:46 pm

If the show can land in the top three across all networks for its timeslot, it will stay. My concern for this show is that they're not aiming it at the right demo.

The fact that it's scoring well with 18-35s is good, but it really needs to go after the "12 +"'s.

I was talking to a co-worker of mine who said "my eight year old LOVES that show."

8 or 9 Friday Night is the only way to go for this show, that or put it on Sunday to catch kids at the ende of the weekend.

Another thing to consider is that nielsens don't always reflect a show's true audience. I watch a lot of shows on DVR (or as we call it at home, the "not-tivo") and delayed viewings on DVR, On-Demand Video, or internet are NOT included in the overnights.

This episode was better than I thought it would be, and by my count that two weeks in a row of better content no matter WHAT the ratings are.

Semper Fi-
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."

B. Banzai, MD PhD

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:55 pm

Someone needs to contact GST, see what he thinks, if he is in panic mode yet or not....

Despite a few weak spots and corny nitpicks and ideas, the show thus far has been pretty decent. :kitt2:

pat329
Recruit

Post by pat329 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:50 pm

I hope NBC doesn't close the door on this show,myself i think it has a chance,but you can't put it with other good show that everyone seem' to watch.I feel it should go on Friday or Saturday night when there isn't anything else on.2nd i feel the fan' of the old KR isn't giving this a chance so the network has to do something to catch the fan' old and new. :kitt:

op81
Stranger

Post by op81 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:30 pm

I wonder how the internet traffic from nbc.com,hulu.com,itunes and amazon play into the overall picture of things

BlueChaos
FLAG Recruit

Post by BlueChaos » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:44 pm

Face it, the way Nielsens do these ratings is quite outdated already...
"If Darth Vader had a KITT bathroom, then he would have ruled the galaxy far far away since a long long time ago..." *LASER!* :good:

TheGHOSTMAN 007
Recruit

Post by TheGHOSTMAN 007 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:36 am

I am really disappointed that the ratings went down. I thought that after the second episode aired with higher numbers than the premier and was generally accepted to be a better episode than the premier the ratings would have increased again. I thought this third episode was better again! I was actually very pleased with it and was thrilled with all the improvements. I thought the actors seemed to be bonding well and getting comfortable with there characters. This was for sure my favorite Knight Rider viewing since the original. I LOVE this show and do not want it to be canceled. If anyone knows people with a (stupid) nielson box, please try to convince them to watch the show. It really is improving and I feel it has a tremendous chance of becoming a great Knight Rider continuation! :good:

knightprobe89
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightprobe89 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:11 am

i didn't like this episode as much as i liked the first two episodes, they didn't do any cool stunts, there wasn't any turbo boost in this episode, kitt didn't even talk that much, this episode reminded me of baywatch meets knight rider.overall i did not like this episode at all. not much action, i can see why the ratings might be down for this episode. and another thing, i have yet to see kitt driving by himself in this series, and how come kitt never comes to mikes rescue like in the original series, what happened to the remote control kitt from the 2 hr pilot? will kitt ever crash through anything? :evil:
in glen larson we trust.

knightofthephoenix
Operative

Post by knightofthephoenix » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:02 pm

TrueKnight wrote:This show is fail because it needs to be more like TOS. What a shame. I will give it a few more episodes then stop if it doesn't become more serious, more "dark" Its the world we live in and we need to reflect it. The characters seem to go about their jobs without any passion, just aimlessly...we need to change that.
I agree that it should reflect the world we live in more. Add in a little more serious and dark tones without going overboard.