George Barris Interviews

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

George Barris Interviews

Post by Sue » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:31 pm

Thanks to a tip from 1991firebirdkitt I was happy to discover that George Barris' "kustom" car shop is right in my neighborhood.

George was very gracious to spend some time with me and to share some stories and some photos of his experiences working on Knight Rider and building various cars for the show.

Be sure to check out the videos on the news page
http://knightrideronline.com/news/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to George Barris, Tony Wood and Kathy Vincelli for making this possible!
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

neps
Site Administrator

Re: George Barris Interviews

Post by neps » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:37 pm

NICE WORK Sue! Thanks so much for showing the drive and initiative to get this done!

I've said it before - Sue you are amazing!

Alex
FLAG Assistant

Post by Alex » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:33 pm

The George Barris is fantastic!

Good work, Sue!

Alex.

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:37 pm

Thanks Sue! :good:

That was a really nice interview, cant wait for part 2!

Sue Rocks! :good:

jaimetheking
Operative

Post by jaimetheking » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:29 pm

Good job Sue!
I always eat at the Baja Fresh across the street then walk over to see KITT!

Barris is a cool dude. He was good friends with my wife's grandfather.
My Wife's grandfather (Nudie) used to drive this
112_0304_pam2854_z.jpg
112_0304_pam2854_z.jpg (21.94 KiB) Viewed 15863 times
He was well known in North Hollywood and has a mural in the NOHO Metro Station.
Attachments
2294322588_49f09173c2.jpg
2294322588_49f09173c2.jpg (182.74 KiB) Viewed 15854 times

Showpro1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Showpro1 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:06 pm

Sue;

As always incredible work, Mary Hart look out!!
From what Paul Casey said Barris will be at the Knight Festival, did you talk about that at all?
Next year will be a bit of a re-union for those involved with the original as well as the current Knight Rider series.
We are fortunate that you bring these great moments like this Barris interview, Very Very Cool.
Thanks so much & yes Sue rocks !!!!!

Dave D. :dash: :dash4: :spmgo: :kittspin: :kittconv2:

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:22 pm

Showpro1 wrote:From what Paul Casey said Barris will be at the Knight Festival, did you talk about that at all?
Wait for part two. ;)

1991firebirdkitt
Recruit

Post by 1991firebirdkitt » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:30 pm

Great Job Sue with the interview, I'm glad you got to talk with Mr.Barris.
He's a great part of the Knight Rider History and has a lot of inside knowledge of the show.
I can't wait for Vegas next year. See you there! :good:
Attachments
George&Gary 2.JPG
George&Gary 2.JPG (157.75 KiB) Viewed 15792 times

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:46 pm

Watching Part two now..... Fighting the urge to rant about Batman like I did on the Youtube comments for the "Reel Geezers" review of TDK which is a thing done with the guy responsible for the Adam West series...

I'm not sure what he was talking about with the KITT parts thing though, it seems like he thought that the new KITT (powered by FORD!) is the original KITT in a new body or something like that, I thought it was just a pointless . The product placement does stink and can't disagree about the first episode not being so good. When was this interview done? Because now I'm wondering what he thought of the second, heh.

I could have sworn that Barris had nothing to do with Knight Rider until the fourth season. I might need to watch the first part again but it seemed like he goes back and fourth with the mentioning of SPM KITT and the Convertible Version, which he did build to mentioning things that happened before he was supposedly involved.. I could go on but I think I'll stop here, heh.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

CNH 320
Recruit

Post by CNH 320 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:16 pm

PHOENIXZERO wrote:I could have sworn that Barris had nothing to do with Knight Rider until the fourth season. I might need to watch the first part again but it seemed like he goes back and fourth with the mentioning of SPM KITT and the Convertible Version, which he did build to mentioning things that happened before he was supposedly involved.. I could go on but I think I'll stop here, heh.
The man (Barris) is full of *?$#! He came in the 4th season. Not from the start of the series. He's on big fat lier. Claimed to have build the screen-used DeLorean. Guesss what; BS. The guy claimed to have build the Dukes' General Lee. Guess what; also BS.

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:20 pm

PHOENIXZERO wrote: I'm not sure what he was talking about with the KITT parts thing though, it seems like he thought that the new KITT (powered by FORD!) is the original KITT in a new body or something like that, I thought it was just a pointless . The product placement does stink and can't disagree about the first episode not being so good. When was this interview done? Because now I'm wondering what he thought of the second, heh.
I think originally KI3T was going to be made of some of KI2T’s parts and I imagine that’s how it was explained to Barris when they asked for to parts to use as props. I think Barris was saying is that he wished that KI3T could morph back and forth from the old and new KITT.
PHOENIXZERO wrote: I could have sworn that Barris had nothing to do with Knight Rider until the fourth season. I might need to watch the first part again but it seemed like he goes back and fourth with the mentioning of SPM KITT and the Convertible Version, which he did build to mentioning things that happened before he was supposedly involved.. I could go on but I think I'll stop here, heh.
Barris was brought on in season one, his team apparently helped to make stunt car versions of KI2T because the earlier cars were being destroyed. For example he made a rubber nose design as well as a fiberglass shell over a VW.

It wasn’t until season 4 that we start to see things exclusively designed by Barris like Convertible KITT and SPM KITT.

More to come...
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative

Post by Joe Huth » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:15 pm

Very interesting Sue, thanks. While I disagree with a lot of what Barris said, it was interesting to hear him talk. That Benchwarmers car was NOT used in the original series....and I'm not just talking about the SPM modifications...the car itself wasn't even in the series in any form. Trust me, I know :D The Nick and Jessica Variety Hour used the Benchwarmers car, not the one in his shop. Also, the "KITT vs KARR" collision was all filmed by Jack Sessums with miniatures. Can't wait for the other parts. Nice work securing the interview!

Joe
Knight Rider Historian - visit my website: http://www.KnightRiderHistorians.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Co-author of Knight Rider Legacy

Showpro1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Showpro1 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:17 pm

Sue;
Thanks for getting us this great interview which answered some questions
especially involving the Knight Rider Festival in which Barris will be giving out
his own trophies- which will be very prestigious to the KITT owner who wins.
Paul Casey is very generous to give all Knight Rider fans whether they own a replica or not.
I know Im going on & on but must close by saying top notch work, you are fantastic and we appreciate it.

D. Doggett. :kitt2: :dash:

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:01 pm

Joe Huth wrote:Very interesting Sue, thanks. While I disagree with a lot of what Barris said, it was interesting to hear him talk. That Benchwarmers car was NOT used in the original series....and I'm not just talking about the SPM modifications...the car itself wasn't even in the series in any form. Trust me, I know :D The Nick and Jessica Variety Hour used the Benchwarmers car, not the one in his shop. Also, the "KITT vs KARR" collision was all filmed by Jack Sessums with miniatures. Can't wait for the other parts. Nice work securing the interview!
Joe
Thanks Joe.
I did find out that the SPM car was indeed the Benchwarmers car. He seemed to be saying that the car was only ever used for promotional purposes. The one in his shop was used in much the same way, so perhaps he got them confused.
I do know that the car in his shop was the one that appeared on Americas Got Talent anyway.

Part three will be cool cause he goes through some pictures with me.
There was a certain someones book hiding in one of the boxes he opens. :mrgreen:

greeknight
Rookie

Post by greeknight » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:30 am

Joe Huth wrote:Very interesting Sue, thanks. While I disagree with a lot of what Barris said, it was interesting to hear him talk. That Benchwarmers car was NOT used in the original series....and I'm not just talking about the SPM modifications...the car itself wasn't even in the series in any form. Trust me, I know :D The Nick and Jessica Variety Hour used the Benchwarmers car, not the one in his shop. Also, the "KITT vs KARR" collision was all filmed by Jack Sessums with miniatures. Can't wait for the other parts. Nice work securing the interview!

Joe
I agree with you that Nick and Jessica used the Benchwarmers car and not the one in his shop, and also the collision
with KITT and KARR was filmed by Jack Sessums with miniatures.

The S.P.M KITT car is 100% original I have documentation.

greeknight
Rookie

Post by greeknight » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:33 am

P.S Please give some respect to Mr Barris, he is a legend!

tigersharka
Operative

Post by tigersharka » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:43 pm

Great job George!

Looking forward seeing him this coming week...we will be filming something special for KNIGHT RIDER FESTIVAL. Looking forward seeing everyone in Las Vegas!

thanks
Paul
http://www.lasvegascarstars.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May 16-17, 2014 Las Vegas, NV
"Only Las Vegas"

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:02 pm

Part 3 is finally up!
It was really a special treat to be able to look at photos with Mr. Barris.
I'd just like to thank him again as well as everyone else who helped me get this up including weeezl and neil for the tech support. :good:
Here are some things I noticed while cutting the video:
It looks like the seats are wrong in the driverless car photo with Barris behind the wheel.
The photo he shows of a possible KI3T design is actually a jalopnik photoshop of what they imagined a KI3T mustang would look like.
The episode that used Barris’ Ferrari was Knights in the Fast Lane in Season 3.

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:51 pm

Sue wrote:Part 3 is finally up!
It was really a special treat to be able to look at photos with Mr. Barris.
I'd just like to thank him again as well as everyone else who helped me get this up including weeezl and neil for the tech support. :good:
Here are some things I noticed while cutting the video:
It looks like the seats are wrong in the driverless car photo with Barris behind the wheel.
The photo he shows of a possible KI3T design is actually a jalopnik photoshop of what they imagined a KI3T mustang would look like.
The episode that used Barris’ Ferrari was Knights in the Fast Lane in Season 3.
Youre Welcome!

Awesome videos Sue and thank you! :good:

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:09 pm

Wow, he certainly has a lot of pictures and things. :shock: I guess he certainly was involved before season four.

Nice work Sue and tech support! :D :good:
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:32 pm

Great interview Sue! :) There was so much interesting stuff in both parts.

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:42 pm

Didn't he have a cease and desist order put on him by Universal regard claims of building KR cars? or was it for something else?

The only reason I ask is to wonder how what he says stacked up against what the cease and desist order said.
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:52 pm

Rockatteer wrote:Didn't he have a cease and desist order put on him by Universal regard claims of building KR cars? or was it for something else?
I believe it was for the BTTF Delorean.

Excellent work Sue!

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:25 pm

neps wrote:
Rockatteer wrote:Didn't he have a cease and desist order put on him by Universal regard claims of building KR cars? or was it for something else?
I believe it was for the BTTF Delorean.

Excellent work Sue!
Ah. Ok. Nothing to do with Kitt then. :)

Good interview Sue. Was interesting seeing all the photos he has.
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

greeknight
Rookie

Post by greeknight » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:39 am

FANTASTIC work! Mr Barris is simbly the best and he is also greek :wink: