Michael's tattoo

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Michael Pajaro
Advisor
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Michael's tattoo

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:49 pm

Just for trivia's sake:

Michael's tattoo is a coat-of-arms with the words "Oppressi Liberanoi" which I assume means something along the lines of "freedom from oppression" or "liberating from oppression".
michael_tattoo.jpg
michael_tattoo.jpg (27.01 KiB) Viewed 14828 times
He also has sun and moon tattoos on his back. Unknown if they have any significance.
michael_tatto_back.jpg
michael_tatto_back.jpg (35.52 KiB) Viewed 14820 times
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Re: Michael's tattoo

Post by FuzzieDice » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:00 pm

The symbol in the center one is an Egyptian cross, often called an "Ankh" I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong?)

I'm glad you translated that, Michael, because for some odd reason I would have read it as "Oppression of Freedom" being that the Opressi came first and that is how I read English. I know nothing of other languages. Though languages do interest me. Wish I had the time to study them more.

Which makes me like Zoe's character because she speaks so many languages.

I wonder if the tattoos on his back are actually his real tattoos or there for the show like the coat of arms one?

justinbrueningnet
Operative

Post by justinbrueningnet » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:37 pm

I wonder if the tattoos on his back are actually his real tattoos or there for the show like the coat of arms one?
The one's on his back are his real life tattoos. There is also a fourth of a playful devil thing or something. Just pulled this from an old interview with SoapTownUSA on what they are:

BlueChaos
FLAG Recruit

Post by BlueChaos » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:19 pm

Dang, first time I seen it I thought it was "OPPRESSI LIBANON"... linking it to the Beirut, Libanon operation that was being talked about a lot in this first episode.
"If Darth Vader had a KITT bathroom, then he would have ruled the galaxy far far away since a long long time ago..." *LASER!* :good:

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:23 pm

Cool! Thanks for that info. The ankh. That's what I was thinking. I remember way back when I used to like the rock band KISS, during the time when Ace first left the band, they eventually had Vinnie Vincent in during their makeup days and Vinnie had an Ankh design as part of his facepaint.

Dr. Graiman
Rookie

Post by Dr. Graiman » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:40 pm

"Journey To The End Of Knight" brought us deeper in the new Knight Rider mythology in form of the "Oppressi Liberanoi" Key-Tattoo.... But the tattoo does not appear at Mike Traceurs right forearm in the Pilot. I know it was
developed for the TV series... but they ignor the pilot..... :kittconv:

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:33 pm

US Army special forces motto is De Oppresso Liber which is Latin for To liberate the oppressed. Traceur was a Ranger so it's odd that he would have SF stuff on him but I once saw a Marine get an Army Combat Infantry badge tattooed on him.

The swords and lightening bolts are imagery that is consistent with Army intell. I was intell in the service (as was Michael Long). The branch insignia uses a dagger to represent danger (and shows the lineage from SF since both services go back to the OSS which Devon served with) and the regimental crest has a lightening bolt. Looks like they are trying to give him a similar background to Long (which TOS never pursued beyond the line in the pilot where he said he "did some nosing around for Army Intelligence in 'Nam...").
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

jlw1982
Stranger

Post by jlw1982 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:25 am

thanks for this info, are there any clearer shots of his special forces tattoo or did they reveal any other info on it at all ?