Liked Journey to the End of Knight much better

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

2knight
Rookie

Liked Journey to the End of Knight much better

Post by 2knight » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:47 pm

I have to say that I enjoyed this episode much better than the first one (Knight in Shining Armor).

Some things that I thought worked for it.

* The overall feel to this one was more like the classic Knight Rider -- can't exactly pinpoint an exact reason, but to me it felt more like Knight Rider.

* The story didn't jump around like the first episode and didn't throw too much at us at once. The storyline seemed to have a clear plot.

* It appears they've listened to our comments about the snowglobe and made it look a little more like the one in the original. There appear to be three vertical bar graphs within the other visualizations.

* The line in the bar where the bad guy's girlfriend says she always falls for the wrong guys sounded like a line heard from a "damsel in distress" in one or more of the episodes of the original series.

* KITT transforming in mid-air was AWESOME!!! As was the fact that he has vulnerabilities and had to be repaired.

* It was also cool how Mike looked down at the kid in the car while they were turbo boosting.

* KITT seems to be developing more of a personality.

* There seemed to be a better interplay between the characters and some seriously funny moments.

* While I didn't like the medical device in the first episode, the device that made the key in this one was pretty cool.

* KITT with a laser coming from his scanner.

* Billy is growing on me as a character and Zoe didn't have too many lines. ;-)

* I also liked the commercial where KITT implied he had a connection with one of the judges in America's Got Talent or whatever the show is where David Hasselhoff is judge.

* The focus was more on Mike and KITT and not the rest of the "KITT crew."

Things I still didn't like:

* KITT transforming into a truck.

* Did they keep flying back and forth to the "KITT Cave" during their mission? Wouldn't a mobile unit out in the field be more practical? While I like the plane for some things, it seems like it would be a little conspicuous if they were undercover.

* Sidekicks out in the field. KITT really only needs Mike as his sidekick ;-)

I'm glad this episode was better than the first. I was getting worried, but it looks like this show might have potential yet.

:kittside:

TheGHOSTMAN 007
Recruit

Re: Liked Journey to the End of Knight much better

Post by TheGHOSTMAN 007 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:08 pm

Pretty much agree with everything you said. I just wish they would seriously improve the special effects and green screen stuff. I also do not like the "KR" on the bottom of attack KITT. I also really hope they do not have 4x4 KITT in every episode. However the episode was an improvement over both the TV movie and the pilot episode and I liked both of them as well. Great show and lets hope the ratings improve. The show should continue to improve if given the time.

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Army_F_Body » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:29 am

Ditto, pretty good and classic series feeling episode. Near the end when Shaun, Sarah & KI3K driving towards the camera in the desert with the theme playing was a nice touch. I'm not really digging the whole Bourne- Michael Knight subplot, but I'll give it time to play out. All in all I'm impressed with this effort and genuinely look forward to it every week, haven't seen a show like that in while.
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

bige12
Rookie

Post by bige12 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:31 am

I can't wait to see what the rating are going to be like for this episode of Knight Rider

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:23 am

2knight wrote:*Makes some good points* :good:
This episode was great! My hat's off to the writer.
I think its only gonna get better an better as people settle in to their rolls and the crew settles into their jobs. Go back and look at the first seasons of any of your favorite shows and you'll see they are a little rough at first.
I really liked the scene with Mike and KITT watching the movie together. You can really see they are starting to bond, and yet you can tell Mike wishes KITT could be more human and could really understand. It was touching.
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:58 am

It's not so much to me about the actors settling into their roles as it is the writing. There are different writers for the episodes and it will shine through with their quality. This is why the episode was (not going to say better here) different than the first. Despite the different writers, I expect there to be subtle consistency and continuity with certain plot points because they are predetermined, however.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Amir
Operative

Post by Amir » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:08 am

It was good. My main problem is that it still involves too many people. Having both Alex Torres and Charles is counter productive. Both have a very limited role instead of one of them having a decent one. What did Charles do in this episode besides complaining his daughter stole a car? It's like they took Devon's role and gave half to each. Torres is the one giving orders, Charles is the worried voice of reason.

2knight
Rookie

Post by 2knight » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:16 am

Amir wrote:It was good. My main problem is that it still involves too many people. Having both Alex Torres and Charles is counter productive. Both have a very limited role instead of one of them having a decent one. What did Charles do in this episode besides complaining his daughter stole a car? It's like they took Devon's role and gave half to each. Torres is the one giving orders, Charles is the worried voice of reason.
I've seen hints somewhere that Knight Industries and the FBI are going to have a falling out at some point. I'm not sure how much is truth and how much is just conjecture. But if that happens maybe Knight Industries will make a break from this joint operation with the government. If the writers wanted to, they could still keep the Torres and Ravei characters but instead of being central to Knight operations KITT and Mike run into them in the field covering the same cases.

I actually liked the green screen effect when they were racing in this episode, especially with the guy in the red Ferrari. It looked kind of retro, like in old series where they'd have a car placed on a stage with a film of a road running in the background.

Amir
Operative

Post by Amir » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:35 pm

It's possible, I suppose. In the first episode Charles told Torres Mike would be coming after him (Torres) once he finds out what he's done. So I suppose Torres could be a short(ish) term charachter. Like someone said on a different thread, Carrie didn't even appear in this episode and a lot of people didn't notice her missing. Her, Charles and Torres is just too much.

Garthe Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Garthe Knight » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:38 pm

I liked the episode, it was the best of new Knight Rider so far.
The story was okay, it had the classic feeling and there were some great scenes with KITT.
Another plus there was just a small scene with Attack KITT.

Did you notice, that in the very beginning, when KITT is driving down the road, it's the attack mode from the pilot? Old footage I guess.

Space
Volunteer

Post by Space » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:41 pm

They all so used less of the 4X4 to so the was good....

alexknight
Volunteer

Post by alexknight » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:31 pm

Can i please point out a continuity error which was so blatant that it was funny, but before i do can i say that this episode was off the scale with regards to goodness especially as kitt ca get hurt or obtained nearly ahem,right the error is when the emp was placed onto kitt to shut him off semi permanently it was left on the hood all well and good but when kitt was re-activated and kitt overloaded and exploded the emp device we saw it explode right??????? well in the next few shots over the chinese fellows shoulder it is still there and then dissapears again when he uses his laser.
Its not me is it ? Anyone?
Plus and this is a quick add that im not too sure about files being shown on kitts hood thats just abit kind of out there
thankyou for listening to my ramblings chat soon
Im off to get married!!!!!!!

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:31 pm

Congrats!

Yeah, I noticed that goof this morning when I watched it for the second time this morning.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

SacValleyDweller
Recruit

Post by SacValleyDweller » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:49 am

2knight wrote:I have to say that I enjoyed this episode much better than the first one (Knight in Shining Armor).

Some things that I thought worked for it.

* The story didn't jump around like the first episode and didn't throw too much at us at once. The storyline seemed to have a clear plot.

* KITT seems to be developing more of a personality.

* While I didn't like the medical device in the first episode, the device that made the key in this one was pretty cool.

* KITT with a laser coming from his scanner.

* The focus was more on Mike and KITT and not the rest of the "KITT crew."
The newbie liked these too! :good:

A less congested plot is always a good thing!

Ki3t developing a personality is definitely intriguing, as is the relationship developing between the man Mike and the machine Ki3t. The concept is kinda strange, and yet I'm liking this and am anxious to see more!

The Gizmo that made the key and the way Ki3t made the invitation was definitely cool, and a Laser is always handy! 8)
2knight wrote: * It appears they've listened to our comments about the snowglobe and made it look a little more like the one in the original. There appear to be three vertical bar graphs within the other visualizations.
With regards to this, I wouldn't know anything about the snowglobes and the visualizations, but they haven't "listened" yet. Production started when, May or June? takes about two weeks to make an Ep start to finish? I'm pretty sure that this Ep has been sitting on the shelf for about 3-4 months. If they're listening to Fan feedback, (the stuff at the official board likely has more weight), it'll probably have more impact on about Ep 14, give or take a few.
--SVD
(-
=)

Bishop37
Recruit

Post by Bishop37 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:11 am

This episode really felt like a Knight Rider episode.

The turbo boost was much better this week although the landing looked a bit fake.

4/5

Kaine
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kaine » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:58 am

Yeah, i agree that this episode was really classy Knight Rider.

i liked it a lot!!! hope this show does well and continues with such good episodes!

Shapeshifter
FLAG Recruit

Post by Shapeshifter » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:11 pm

SacValleyDweller wrote:[
2knight wrote: * It appears they've listened to our comments about the snowglobe and made it look a little more like the one in the original. There appear to be three vertical bar graphs within the other visualizations.
With regards to this, I wouldn't know anything about the snowglobes and the visualizations, but they haven't "listened" yet. Production started when, May or June? takes about two weeks to make an Ep start to finish? I'm pretty sure that this Ep has been sitting on the shelf for about 3-4 months. If they're listening to Fan feedback, (the stuff at the official board likely has more weight), it'll probably have more impact on about Ep 14, give or take a few.
Actually, that's not the case, particularly with regard to the effects. These are effect-heavy shows and I know from talking to one of the show's producers that they often finish effects just days before the air date. That's one of the reasons why no advance copies of episodes are sent out--they're generally not done until the last minute.

As far as shooting schedule; they are about 1-2 months ahead there. It's an 8-day shoot, but post production, as I said, can take them all the way to air date. Also, they have been doing re-shoots on earlier episodes when they see that the tone of an earlier episode doesn't match where they want the show to go. I guess what I'm saying is that comments about effects, etc. could find their way into actual shows sooner than you might think.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:21 pm

Just to echo Shapeshifters point - some of the VFX guys have commented on this very board that the online preview of the first episode on Sept 17th was not complete effects wise and they made changes from that online preview to the broadcast airing on Sep 24th.

So these guys really arent getting a break VFX wise, and any constructive comments you have - they are listening and might be able see on air sooner than you think...

kitt34
FLAG Recruit

Post by kitt34 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:22 pm

This episode was moving, but to me it was not enough to recommend.

This show is gonna stink, just like the last 3 knight rider franchises.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:19 pm

kitt34 wrote:This show is gonna stink, just like the last 3 knight rider franchises.
And just like your posts because they all say the same thing.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Luis
Rookie

Post by Luis » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:00 pm

Everyone but stupid reviewers and KR fanboys loves the episode. You guys should check IMDB's forums -- there are several positive threads there.

I'm afraid of next week's episode, though. It might be hampered by excessive Zoe-ness (no, having her in a bikini DOES OUT outweigh her shortcomings). Other than that, I'm pretty excited.

I only hope that GST keeps the rest of the season up to "Journey to the End of Knight" standards.

SacValleyDweller
Recruit

Post by SacValleyDweller » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:10 am

Shapeshifter wrote:
SacValleyDweller wrote:[
Actually, that's not the case, particularly with regard to the effects. These are effect-heavy shows and I know from talking to one of the show's producers that they often finish effects just days before the air date. That's one of the reasons why no advance copies of episodes are sent out--they're generally not done until the last minute.

As far as shooting schedule; they are about 1-2 months ahead there. It's an 8-day shoot, but post production, as I said, can take them all the way to air date. Also, they have been doing re-shoots on earlier episodes when they see that the tone of an earlier episode doesn't match where they want the show to go. I guess what I'm saying is that comments about effects, etc. could find their way into actual shows sooner than you might think.
OK, I was going off of my understanding of the production schedule of Heroes, which is VFX heavy as well and I think has a 2 week turnaround time for eps. They also started in May.
neps wrote:Just to echo Shapeshifters point - some of the VFX guys have commented on this very board that the online preview of the first episode on Sept 17th was not complete effects wise and they made changes from that online preview to the broadcast airing on Sep 24th.

So these guys really arent getting a break VFX wise, and any constructive comments you have - they are listening and might be able see on air sooner than you think...
and this further persuades me that Im not as right as I thought I was Image

Feedback for the VFX dudes and gals: they cant do wrong by me.
--SVD
(-
=)

TheGHOSTMAN 007
Recruit

Post by TheGHOSTMAN 007 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:49 am

Just wanted to say one thing they could have done to give it an even greater Knight Rider feel. Near the end of the episode when Mike and Sarah are going after Mike's old army friend, both Mike and Sarah had to take a few extra seconds to open the door to get in. In the old series KITT would always open the door for Michael when there was a rush.

I still really enjoyed the episode! One of my friends who thought that both the back door pilot and first episode were pretty bad, thought this episode was excellent!! I hope the improvement will continue and the show continues for a long time.

kitt34
FLAG Recruit

Post by kitt34 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:15 am

Lost Knight wrote:
kitt34 wrote:This show is gonna stink, just like the last 3 knight rider franchises.
And just like your posts because they all say the same thing.

Because this version does not work like the original, I Tried to give this new show a chance and it did not work for me.

The shadowy flight
Rookie

Post by The shadowy flight » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:28 pm

I was getting a raised eyebrow, when I heared from old and new fans that this episode was better than the last one. And it's true, it got more Knight Rider feeling and all the little nods, but somehow, I'm more into TOS :mrgreen: .

The cheese is cut down, the plot's better, Deanna is gorgeous and more serious KR than I expected - I will tune in to the next episode. The premiere was so so...