What did you think of the Turbo Boost?

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Did you like the new Turbo Boost?

Yes
70%
No
30%

Total votes: 37

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

What did you think of the Turbo Boost?

Post by Rockatteer » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:17 am

So what did everyone think of the turbo boost scene?

I personally didn't particularly like it. I did like the words appearing onn the screen, but the whole Fast and Furious through the engine scene didn't work for me.

I would rather see somethign like the words appear on screen, followed by maybe some kind of rocket or turbine type sound, then see the exhaust pipes lower, the blue jet vapor fires out of the pipes and the car launches.

But I guess this was the first appearance of it, and they wont always have time to run that sequence, so if we just see the turbo boost on teh screen and then the car jumping, that'll be kewl too.
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

knightrider4evr
Stranger

Re: What did you think of the Turbo Boost?

Post by knightrider4evr » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:42 am

I liked the new Turbo Boost. But we do not need to see the "piston look" with every use of it. The sound effects are awsome, better than the old K.I.T.T. and K.A.R.R. ones.

Will
Rookie

Post by Will » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:25 am

Okay I like it...but I didn't like it.

I still hold judgement on the fact that it wasn't a proper turbo boost. I believe it was a tregectory launch.
If at first you don't succeed...cheat, repeat, until caught...

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:10 am

The statistics is not right! You should wait for another week or so before jumping to any conclusions.

I bet there's an army on this community to vote "NO" for the new turbo boost...
Michael: Kitt what matters to me is who you are not what you look like. Sure we don't have the car so we can't turbo boost so we can't go over 200 miles an hour but it was all icing on the cake anyway

KR4Life
Recruit

Post by KR4Life » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:17 am

I want to see what it looks like when KITT takes off while in motion, not from a 'standing start' like he did on the first episode.

BlueChaos
FLAG Recruit

Post by BlueChaos » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:23 am

As long as they lose out the big blue KR logo on the bottom of the car, I will be content.
"If Darth Vader had a KITT bathroom, then he would have ruled the galaxy far far away since a long long time ago..." *LASER!* :good:

Gadjet
Rookie

Post by Gadjet » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:38 am

I liked it.......... However it would have been nice to see what made KITTs front end lift up to cause it to jump.

Ok there were boosters at the back but it would have needed somthing to lift the front up first.

Mabie seeing the suspetion hunching down then pinging back up to cause the front to lift, that would have been cool. Sorta like those tricked out bouncy cars you see at car shows.

The KR lights have to go tho.
Ok I love under lighting, Have a few on the bottom of my bike, but come on! a big KR symble! is that for the tubo boost toys that must be coming out for xmas?

The landing! that was spot on, loved it.

Gadjet
My youtube page http://www.youtube.com/user/gadget127 contains my own vids Street Hawk vs Knight rider, Knight rider/Mad max music vids and lots of high octaine action

knightfever
Operative

Post by knightfever » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:31 am

I liked it, but one thing I don't understand is the reason for the "handbrake" spin out just before he did the jump. I understand it if he wanted to get a quick take off for a straight driving manuever, but in the old show, when KITT would do a trajectory guided turbo boost he didn't do a spin out. And I agree with all the others about the giant blue "KR" on the bottom. The is the only thing I saw in the show and said "Too cheesy." We all expect cheese in Knight Rider, it's one of the things we love about the show, but that was a bit too much.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:29 am

For all the complaints about the Fast and the Furious-style turbo boost, the only reason we even have that is because we demanded it. This is what it's going to be now and we should be happy we have it at all, especially with some physiscs behind it.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Stargazer
Operative

Post by Stargazer » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:32 am

As neps said before; the turbo boost (seen in the first show) is different than what he has seen.

Also remember that the KI2T had different styles of turbo boots. Projectile was one of them. For the life of me I think there was another one, but I cannot remember off the top of my head.

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:41 am

I liked it, obviously CG is never going to replace a practical jump, it was good none the less.

I think the VFX guys done a really good job with it.

Cant wait to see other TB variations, a rolling jump for instance!

Watch it a few more times it really grows on you!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dbFPSAAw0WE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dalton
Recruit

Post by Dalton » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:45 am

It's not a Turbo boost until it's across a canyon, through a window into an apartment block or through the middle of a semi.

Until that happens we haven't seen one. :)

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:13 am

Lost Knight wrote:For all the complaints about the Fast and the Furious-style turbo boost, the only reason we even have that is because we demanded it. This is what it's going to be now and we should be happy we have it at all, especially with some physiscs behind it.
What? I was never in favor of the fast and the furious-style turbo boost!

In fact I didn't want any of this! Everything they did was in their own interest, not mine. They got rid of Hasselhoff, BAD. They messed up turbo boost, BAD. Val Kilmer as the voice of Kitt, BAD. They brought along 50 newbie characters with no experience what so ever, BAD. I can go on forever if you like...

You see, when Daniel Craig took over the role as 007 he also brought something new to it. At first I though he was going to mess it up completely but I was wrong and now I belong to those who love him as the new Bond character. He brought the WOW-factor, tension, excitement, action, drama and a heck of a lot more.

Justin Bruening didn't bring anything new! He made it worse :evil:
Michael: Kitt what matters to me is who you are not what you look like. Sure we don't have the car so we can't turbo boost so we can't go over 200 miles an hour but it was all icing on the cake anyway

coverdale10
Volunteer

Post by coverdale10 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:24 am

Drop the "KR" on the bottom of the car and definitely drop the "Fast and Furious" style through the engine effect. It wasn't really that great in "F & F", but a shorter, better edited version might work here. Otherwise they did it just fine. One question: does the use of Turbo Boost require the car to be in "Attack Mode"...? If it does, this is a waste. What is "Attack Mode" even good for anyway...? It's not supposed to be the new "Super Pursuit Mode" so why do we need it so much...? I thought the nano-technology would make the car indestructible.... An' hell, can this mustang turn into a convertible...? Michael never had much use for a pickup in the past, but a droptop could be a real pussymobile....

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:27 am

Knight-Armen wrote:What? I was never in favor of the fast and the furious-style turbo boost!

In fact I didn't want any of this! Everything they did was in their own interest, not mine. They got rid of Hasselhoff, BAD. They messed up turbo boost, BAD. Val Kilmer as the voice of Kitt, BAD. They brought along 50 newbie characters with no experience what so ever, BAD. I can go on forever if you like...
The turbo boost may not be the same as it once was in the series, but there are two things to factor in here: for one, we've only seen the first episode and can't say for sure that there will be the same CGI sequence for each turbo boost; and secondly, there may indeed be physical jumps. As some of the crew who works on the show's CGI said here, the preference is to always go for physical stunts FIRST. In all fairness to the show, doing a practical physical trajectory launch would have likely been difficult to do, especially with a television budget. Let's cut them some slack.

As for your complaints about David Hasselhoff and William Daniels not being the leads, seriously, I think it's time to get over that by now. I never really thought it was much of a valid complaint to begin with and it's getting pretty old by now, but nevertheless, they may indeed both return anyway. So they won't be the leads, but at least their appearances are even being considered at all. Even Hasselhoff himself would disagree with you about being the show's main lead. When he was trying to pitch his version of the motion picture a few years back, the concept was very similar with what the show turned out to be with Michael Knight passing the torch onto his son while he remains the older boss. There comes a point where you just have to accept reality and what would work best for a type of show like this. The lack of Hasselhoff and Daniels is definitely the LEAST of the problems with the show, but that's another topic.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Stealthwalker
Operative

Post by Stealthwalker » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:55 am

I'm glad that they finally did a new "Turbo Boost", but they needed to spare the special efx for it, but still I'm glad that there was a "Turbo Boost" this time around.
Stealthwalker aka "Tha Lone Crusader"

"We Meet Again". As quoted by Garthe Knight in "Goliath & Goliath Returns"

kittxthexcat
Rookie

Post by kittxthexcat » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:22 pm

Eh, it's alright. But since the new Kitt is supposed to be uber fast right off the bat, Turbo Boost kinda has no point when you think of it's original purpose (give Kitt an extra burst of speed to get away. Then it worked as a jumping feature. But it still worked both ways). I absolutely, 100% loathe the stupid blue neon 'KR' on the bottom. Ugh, so horrible. I liked the 'swivel' side pipes that launch him, that's pretty cool. But I think what I'll miss most is watching the jump, watching Kitt take a total nose dive, and then cut to him driving away unscathed. Or the jumps where it's clearly a Hot Wheels Kitt on a string XD
---
Kitt the Cat, but you can call me Spiff.

Billy: "I just ask cause it sounds like Kitt's making you his bitch..."
Mike: "Get back to the math BILLY!"

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:59 pm

The turbo boost may not be the same as it once was in the series, but there are two things to factor in here: for one, we've only seen the first episode and can't say for sure that there will be the same CGI sequence for each turbo boost; and secondly, there may indeed be physical jumps. As some of the crew who works on the show's CGI said here, the preference is to always go for physical stunts FIRST. In all fairness to the show, doing a practical physical trajectory launch would have likely been difficult to do, especially with a television budget. Let's cut them some slack.
You see, what I don't understand is why they want to do it differently now that they've been using CGI in the first episode. Remember, the key to success in ANY field is to start of with a strong foundation, in this case to choose something that will appear realistic on the screen. That's what made the general public so appreciative of the original turbo boost, not the fact that they knew how to use CGI. Anyways, I hope you're right...
As for your complaints about David Hasselhoff and William Daniels not being the leads, seriously, I think it's time to get over that by now. I never really thought it was much of a valid complaint to begin with and it's getting pretty old by now, but nevertheless, they may indeed both return anyway. So they won't be the leads, but at least their appearances are even being considered at all. Even Hasselhoff himself would disagree with you about being the show's main lead. When he was trying to pitch his version of the motion picture a few years back, the concept was very similar with what the show turned out to be with Michael Knight passing the torch onto his son while he remains the older boss. There comes a point where you just have to accept reality and what would work best for a type of show like this. The lack of Hasselhoff and Daniels is definitely the LEAST of the problems with the show, but that's another topic.
With all due respect I didn't mention William Daniels. What I meant was that Hasselhoff would be more suited for this role than Bruening. Now to keep a long story short, bringing back Knight Rider was indeed Hasselhoff's own choice and his initial idea was in fact to be the lead character. After tons of discussions from the right and left they finally agreed on making a movie where Hasselhoff would take Devon's place and recruit his own son to be the so called new "Michael Knight". This was actually a VERY good idea, I bet it would work and keep in mind that it would make an excellent continuation of the show!

What happened after that is beyound my knowledge and all I can say is that it's not as successful as I thought it would be...

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:09 pm

Stargazer wrote:As neps said before; the turbo boost (seen in the first show) is different than what he has seen.

Also remember that the KI2T had different styles of turbo boots. Projectile was one of them. For the life of me I think there was another one, but I cannot remember off the top of my head.
Well, there was the reverse turbo boost where the car jumped backwards (thanks to the "magic" of running the film in reverse, heh) and of course the sudden burst of speed version.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:21 pm

kittxthexcat wrote:Eh, it's alright. But since the new Kitt is supposed to be uber fast right off the bat, Turbo Boost kinda has no point when you think of it's original purpose (give Kitt an extra burst of speed to get away. Then it worked as a jumping feature. But it still worked both ways).
If you leave out the jumping version (which I hope won't go into so much detail as to how it works, visually, or rely on stock footage), couldn't the speed boost still be used, should the car find itself unable to accelerate on its own? I would assume the feature would allow KITT to accelerate faster than usual, should he find himself in a pinch.

I assume so, anyway; I don't know *?$# about cars.

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:33 pm

needs a Turbo Boost button. :good: :good:

viper_defender
Recruit

Post by viper_defender » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:15 pm

Not bad... Could use more work though...

If there is anything positive, about this at least we get to see what goes on inside the engine, face it guys no one... And I mean no one has never ever ever seen the inside the engine of any Knight Industries car before. As always any version of KITT is a work in progress. Things get added on or replaced. I just hope they loose the drag look.

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:25 pm

viper_defender wrote:at least we get to see what goes on inside the engine, face it guys no one... And I mean no one has never ever ever seen the inside the engine of any Knight Industries car before.
I believe that was one of the 'cardinal rules' with TOS (i've read it on the board here somewhere) that we got to see the bonnet (hood) raised but only from behind. We were never meant to see the workings of the car.

Maybe someone "in the know" with regards to behind the scenes on TOS could clarify that for me?

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:13 pm

Kram061-1 wrote:needs a Turbo Boost button. :good: :good:
Very good point.

Actually I think their needs to be buttons for all Kitts functions. It's much cooler to see a button pushed and then the appropriate function happens.

Are we going to hear Mike tell Kitt to turbo boost each time? Won't quite be the same as the button push and then Mike pushed back in his seat as the car launches into the boost.
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:20 pm

Rockatteer wrote:
Kram061-1 wrote:needs a Turbo Boost button. :good: :good:
Very good point.

Actually I think their needs to be buttons for all Kitts functions. It's much cooler to see a button pushed and then the appropriate function happens.

Are we going to hear Mike tell Kitt to turbo boost each time? Won't quite be the same as the button push and then Mike pushed back in his seat as the car launches into the boost.
I'm beginning to think that they didn't put the buttons because they want KI3T to be more of a "person" than some machine whose buttons you press.Remember GST said that KI3T is learning for a reason?
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9