About turbo boost in new episode

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Will
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

About turbo boost in new episode

Post by Will » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:20 am

PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Okay everyone who has seen the new episode saw the turbo boost correct? Well would that technically be called a turbo boost or a trajectory launch?
If at first you don't succeed...cheat, repeat, until caught...

BlueChaos
FLAG Recruit

Re: About turbo boost in new episode

Post by BlueChaos » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:49 am

I'd call that CGIBoost... :mrgreen:

The original one was a real-action, stunt-made boost, which definitely made it look better and more authentic *press Turbo Boost button* :good:
"If Darth Vader had a KITT bathroom, then he would have ruled the galaxy far far away since a long long time ago..." *LASER!* :good:

KnightRiderFan1051
Recruit

Post by KnightRiderFan1051 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:11 am

I'm not knocking Original Knight Rider at all I LOVE THAT SHOW!!!!! but I have the following opinion:

This is the 21st Century EVERYTHING is computerized even more so then KI2T was in the 80's so far as I can tell EVERYTHING in KR2008 is Voice Activated or Touch Screen Modified. As Far as Turbo Boost it looked cool and you have to keep in mind Mike wasn't in KITT when it happened so there maybe a button we just didn't see it.
Mike B
KnightRiderFan1051

calhoun24
Recruit

Post by calhoun24 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:01 pm

BlueChaos wrote: The original one was a real-action, stunt-made boost, which definitely made it look better and more authentic *press Turbo Boost button* :good:
I have to agree on this one. Even if it's a CGI button on the HUD, we need to see it.
"One man can make a difference." - Wilton Knight
Long live Wilton's dream and F.L.A.G.!

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:23 pm

Dont forget that Neil & Mike have seen a different Turbo Boost during thier set visit, more in-keeping with the original!

Im sure we`ll see it different forms throughout the season.

Being as its CGI, I guess the VFX guys can do what they want with it, maybe we`ll even see a practical jump at some point also.

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:38 pm

weeezl wrote:Dont forget that Neil & Mike have seen a different Turbo Boost during thier set visit, more in-keeping with the original!

Being as its CGI, I guess the VFX guys can do what they want with it, maybe we`ll even see a practical jump at some point also.
From what we know from the comic con interviews so far, Ki3t only jumps in Attack Mode and i cant see them sending one of those custom mustangs into the air for real....

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:08 pm

pheonix_knight wrote:
weeezl wrote:Dont forget that Neil & Mike have seen a different Turbo Boost during thier set visit, more in-keeping with the original!

From what we know from the comic con interviews so far, Ki3t only jumps in Attack Mode and i cant see them sending one of those custom mustangs into the air for real....
Heres a shot of a Turbo Boost landing, sure does'nt look like Kitts in Attack-Mode to me.....

Who's to say they wont make a stunt car like the original series, with a Mustang body shell on it?

bige12
Rookie

Post by bige12 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:30 pm

You know in the orginial series KITT could activate his Tubro Boost by his-self also. And since everything is more computerized

KnightINSTINCT
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightINSTINCT » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:33 pm

The first turbo boost reminded me so much of the turbo boost demonstration KITT gave Michael in Knight Of The Phoenix. We all seen that KITT in the very original pilot had a grayish white under casing as well.

bige12
Rookie

Post by bige12 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:22 pm

GST mention that he watch the Knight of The Phoenix since this first epsiode is similar since Michael Long loose his identy and changes to Michael Knight. the only difference Knight of the Phoenix Michael did not have it- he was just a plain police officer with a plain car.

nee716
Operative

Post by nee716 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:08 pm

It did feel like the use of a "Trajectory Guide" which was great. But it was a standing still Turbo Boost. Think to Season 4 "The Wrong Crowd" when KI2T Turbo's over the ferret. Or in "Blind Spot" when KI2T turbos out of the compactor. Same way. It was awesome to see Turbo Boost used again on TV!

:kitt:

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:04 pm

ive just seent the clip uploaded on the site (thanks guys as im in the uk and cant see the full show yet... :( )

the actual jump was ok (obvious green screening but i can live with that) but by the time we had travelled through Kitts internal workings to see how it worked, a good few seconds had passed and it didnt sound like this happened quickly because the sound effect for the scanner was still audible in the background and that didnt slow down to indicate a 'bullet time' situation...

if anyone from the Audio FX reads this, it might be worth looking at that in future...

liked the landing though...

krenigma
Knight Rider 2008 Creative

Post by krenigma » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:32 pm

Hey everyone,

This is Krenigma from the Knight Rider VFX team. Interesting to hear the comments on Turbo Boost. Obviously this first one presented a particular challenge because KITT is parked when he boosts, so we had to think carefully about exactly how he lifts off the ground to make it over the guards, hence the blast of blue flame. Without giving anything away, obviously when KITT is in motion at high speeds the turbo boosts it will be slightly different. Rest assured, though, we are making the boost as cool as possible and what you want to see.

We ALWAYS fight for the practical effect over the digital when possible, but there are times when we make a decision that it makes more sense to use a mixture of digital and live for a variety of reasons. Keep watching, there are great mixes of live footage and digital elements coming up!

p.s. make sure to pay attention to Turbo Boost when the shows airs on the 24th

blowersho
Operative

Post by blowersho » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:42 pm

I am in Canada so I have not seen the episode but saw the turbo boost clip, it looked pretty lame but what I don't understand is that the thrust comes from the pipes at the rear so how exactly does the front of the car rise first?

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:49 pm

This is Krenigma from the Knight Rider VFX team
Hey man, you guys are doing alright so far.....But will you please tell us if yous guys are at least considering throwing in some ski-mode (2-wheel driving) scenes?? That was a stunt (CGI even?) that was highly overlooked as a stunt that was just as cool as Turbo Boost................. :good: :good:

DevonStyles
FLAG Recruit

Post by DevonStyles » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:08 pm

Please lose the lighted up KR on the bottom.
edited by the good folks at knightrideronline

knightriderfan80
Recruit

Post by knightriderfan80 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:01 pm

Yeah the lighted up KR definately has got to go along with the pickup truck transformation and all the music blairing in the background... These are the major things that should be addressed. Other than that you guys rock. I know you are not so much into the music side of things but let those guys know its gotta be cut back dramatically and some scenes just need silence.

HisNameisGarth
Operative

Post by HisNameisGarth » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:35 pm

Its really cheap to build a designated jump car.

The most recent example I can think of was the jump car they built for the Viper TV series for the
beginning of the syndicated run. They took a Dodge Dakota, pulled the body off of the pickup and
mounted a fiberglass replica of the Viper Body to the Dakota frame (its a body-of-frame pickup).
The jump car only cost about $35,000 to construct (a relative bargain) -- and they jumped it about 10 times throughout
the show's run.

In the last episode the jump car was used., they did an intentional career-ending jump ("Safe as Houses") --
They jumped it over a construction site and the car flew around 185 feet. It was season 4, they knew the show
was getting canceled -- so they decided to destroy the car in spectacular way.

Stunt cars can be built cheaply once the molds have been finalized. They are just trying to do the jumps on the cheap -- they really need to start doing some real jumps.
There ain't no E in Garth, damn it.

bige12
Rookie

Post by bige12 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:50 pm

I say the Pickup truck transformation should stay since- How about if there was episode when KITT & Michael have to go off roading, and you know in real life a Mustang can not off-roading. You know in the orginial series KITT was a t-top so KITT could stop and Michael could jump into the car from the Roof, but since the NEW KITT is a Mustang there is no way for Michael & Sara to do that since KITT dose not have t-top like the orginai KITT, that is the reason why they choose a pickup truck

A SUV & PICK UP trucks are 4 wheel drive, and ANY OTHER CAR IS 2 WHEEL DRIVE so a mustang would not do good on dirt if they had a mission. Like the one episode in the orginal Michael and KITT were chaseing someone up the dirt hill then KITT lost traction and slide down the hill and flipped over, and then Bonnie adds the new feature to KITTs tires and the works for KITT so he could get up the hill.

People that are not liking the new series just THINK about WHAT a 2 wheel drive vechicles disadvantages are compared to a 4 wheel drive vechicle

d_osborn
Operative

Post by d_osborn » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:34 am

krenigma wrote:Hey everyone,

This is Krenigma from the Knight Rider VFX team. Interesting to hear the comments on Turbo Boost. Obviously this first one presented a particular challenge because KITT is parked when he boosts, so we had to think carefully about exactly how he lifts off the ground to make it over the guards, hence the blast of blue flame. Without giving anything away, obviously when KITT is in motion at high speeds the turbo boosts it will be slightly different. Rest assured, though, we are making the boost as cool as possible and what you want to see.

We ALWAYS fight for the practical effect over the digital when possible, but there are times when we make a decision that it makes more sense to use a mixture of digital and live for a variety of reasons. Keep watching, there are great mixes of live footage and digital elements coming up!

p.s. make sure to pay attention to Turbo Boost when the shows airs on the 24th
ahhh...someone from the production... VERY cool! i enjoyed elements of the first episode... however.... PLEASE tell the art department to drop the undercarriage logo. i mean, SERIOUSLY... who thought of that?!? FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL!!!!!!!!!! seriously... i understand that the entertainment field is a hard nut to crack, and that there are a LOT of people waiting in the wings for your job. whoever came up with the crackpot idea to put a KR logo on KITT's undercarriage should be fired. i refuse to believe that no one on the production confronted the show runner about how insanely stupid that is... even for a stylized action/adventure show about a talking car.

keep up the good VFX work, though. i really dig what you guys did with the computer interfaces in KITT and the "cave" thing...

bige12
Rookie

Post by bige12 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:52 am

I think they decided to put the KR Logo on the bottom of the car show it would be easier for the car to show up when it is jumping form a stand still at NIGHT. You know black on Black you can not see anything. The Bad guys do not know what KR stands for.

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Post by tamatt27 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:22 am

bige12 wrote:I say the Pickup truck transformation should stay since- How about if there was episode when KITT & Michael have to go off roading, and you know in real life a Mustang can not off-roading. You know in the orginial series KITT was a t-top so KITT could stop and Michael could jump into the car from the Roof, but since the NEW KITT is a Mustang there is no way for Michael & Sara to do that since KITT dose not have t-top like the orginai KITT, that is the reason why they choose a pickup truck

A SUV & PICK UP trucks are 4 wheel drive, and ANY OTHER CAR IS 2 WHEEL DRIVE so a mustang would not do good on dirt if they had a mission. Like the one episode in the orginal Michael and KITT were chaseing someone up the dirt hill then KITT lost traction and slide down the hill and flipped over, and then Bonnie adds the new feature to KITTs tires and the works for KITT so he could get up the hill.

People that are not liking the new series just THINK about WHAT a 2 wheel drive vechicles disadvantages are compared to a 4 wheel drive vechicle
There is a difference between 2-wheel drive, 4-wheel drive, and all-wheel drive. Many cars are all-wheel drive, which means that all 4-wheels are used to propel the car. All-wheel drive is designed to be used all the time and is engineered to be capable of speeds a normal car will be driven. 4-wheel drive is used in a part-time situation, since it isn't designed to be driven in 4-wheel drive at higher speeds.
It's not out of the realm of possibility that KITT can engage AWD on the go and utilize a suspension lift for mild off-roading. Of course then the weak point are the tires' traction, but that was addressed in KR1.
The 2009 Mustang does have a glass roof option, and it could be adapted by KR to be retractable for ease of entry from above.
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bige12
Rookie

Post by bige12 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:28 pm

The car that I drive is a front wheel drive and I also have a corvette that is rear wheel drive and couple suv are 4 wheel. The All Wheel drive is new since the Ford 500 has a the AWD on the back of the car. and 2 wheel drive card you do not see a abveration for 2 wheel drive on the back of the car.

KTMCDO
Recruit

Post by KTMCDO » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:34 pm

i like the new turboboost but
in the future i hope they dont show
kitt powering up to boost or speed up
just do it without the drama so to speak
no cgi needs to be shown IMO

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:49 pm

off topic from Turbo Boost: ALTER THE STEERING WHEEL PLEASE!!!! Even the one in the Pilot was better that a standard steering wheel! :dash: :dash4: :lol: