Got my GPS Today!

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Knight316
Operative

Got my GPS Today!

Post by Knight316 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:16 pm

So i got the Knight Rider GPS today. It's really cool but i do have a few complaints about it. It could be just me not knowing what to do 100% but...when i first got it i tried to set my home but it didn't have my street on it (which is odd since the Garmin I had recognized it straight out of the box). But nevertheless, it was still really cool, and KITT even tells you what you're typing in when you type a street name. So i plugged it into my computer and sure enough it said that an update was needed. It told me that it was recomended to create a backup as it would basically wipe and reinstall everything from the unit with the new update and that i would have to re-install the voices (which is fairly easy to do with the software provided or so i thought) so it does the update and i notice that all the voices are now gone and when i go to the download list for the voices there's no "KITT - US Male" like there was originally. I reinstall the English voices and restart in and thankfully his voice is still on there but now it doesn't speak the letters when i type them in. Just the standard greeting. So I guess when it updated itself it completely deleted those sound files and i'm not sure how to get it back. I've tried restoring the system to the back up but that didn't do anything either. I've installed the latest map that i can and it still doesn't recognize my street. As well...the touchscreen isn't very responsive now. If you push something it takes it a good couple seconds to actually do it. Now, that could have to do with the fact that i'm in my basement but when just pushing button on a screen it shouldn't do that. I've tried Mio's website and there's nothing there. Neil, wondering if you had any problems like this when you tested it out a couple months ago?

Oh and for some reason it's not accepting the product key that came in on the baggie with the software in it (where it says to look) so i can't download the absolute newest map i would suppose.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Got my GPS Today!

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:37 pm

:? Sounds pretty problematic. I think I'll wait for most people to buy it first so I can really get a feel for the glitches. I know nothing about G.P.S.s or who the top manufacturers are, but is Mio one of them? I understand they post here, so feel free to shoot me a PM if nobody wants to post any negative things.

By the way, how did you get one so soon and where did you pick it up?
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Knight316
Operative

Post by Knight316 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:19 pm

I live in Canada and pre-ordered it from Sears. I noticed it've available on the source (canadian's circuit city) website as well. I'm going to email Mio about the voice thing and try out the system for a few days it could be because i was in the basement or the battery wasn't fully charged.

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:58 pm

Sorry to hear about your problems with the GPS, I hope its an easy fix!

Have MIO resolved the William Daniels voice pitch issue?

kittrules
Volunteer

Post by kittrules » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:23 pm

Ughh.... stupid desktop software. I was hoping they would have fixed that but obviously they have not. You're going to have to contact support on this one. IF support is not helpful, please contact Neil and he will contact me.

I'm really sorry....

Kitt Rules

Motor_Head
Volunteer

Post by Motor_Head » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:30 am

I got mine today as well and I have to say that I experienced zero problems. I instantly opened the box and fired it up and it had enough juice in the battery to let me play around with it for an hour or so. I think the voice sounds extremely awesome on it. It definitely sounds like KITT and I think Mio nailed this. I always said that when they made a KITT GPS that is when I would buy one so this is the first GPS unit I have purchased. I think it offers many very useful features and I would recommend it highly. I was also impressed by how accurate it was. Most GPS units are constantly showing you off in the ditch then recalculating route, this one was very precise, as KITT should be. I don't think I'll be plugging it into my laptop looking for updates anytime soon though. I am amazed that this was produced and even more amazed how it was done. It is perfect in my opinion. I think this is a must-buy for any Knight Rider fan that wants a GPS. I love it!
Cheers!
:kitt:
Gregg

Knight316
Operative

Post by Knight316 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:31 pm

Ok well i've resolved the voice issue. Thankfully i figured it out myself without having to wait for a response from Mio. I had to reinstall the voice a couple time and apparantly when you do it you have to install 2 diffent sets of voices. Once i did that, the voice came back when you type stuff in. But i haven't had a chance to play with it much when it's in satalite range. The main problem i had was that when i tried typing in a destination or POI is i'm not sure if it's because it's still searching for sattelites or what but it doesn't recognize the letter you type in right away leaving you to think that you didn't hit it right so you it it again and again and then all of a sudden there's four of the same letter there and it says no POIs foundn (obviously since the name is spelled wrong) and then you have to delete the extra letters and try it again. I still have to play around with it some more and it could just be the way i'm using it or something. Other than that it's great. It looks great and sounds very much like KITT. I dont' know 100% if they fixed the pitch of if it just isn't that noticeable but it does definately sound like KITT.

luizel
Volunteer

Post by luizel » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:00 pm

my BIGGEST concern was the pitch on the unit and that it didnt quite sound like kitt. if any of you gentlemen can be kind enough to post a sound byte to see if this issue has been resolve i think much of us would appreciate it. i guess i would like to judge for myself before i go get one..

thnsk in advance fella's

your pal luizel
:dash4:

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:17 pm

I want one, when is this comng out in the uk?
We seem to be getting the short straw with Knight RIder,

I wish we could get rid of the need for all this diffrent country restiction rubbish.

kittrules
Volunteer

Post by kittrules » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:28 pm

Oh good, glad you were able to fix it. :D

The delay is the device searching for a satellite connection. Once you get a lock you'll notice an performance increase. It's just the CPU cycling until it finds something, unfortunately you just can't turn that off...

As for the country code thing, right now the product is only licensed through Universal for North America. If we can strike a deal with Universal to bring it to Europe, I imagine we will. Keep your fingers and toes crossed. ;)

Knight316
Operative

Post by Knight316 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:33 am

Ok so after playing around with it for the weekend, i have to say i am extremely happy with it. Kittrules you weer right once it found a sat lock the screen became much more responsive. I think a lot of it had to do with my only having used a Garmin berand GPS before which is TOTALLY different from a Mio but i have to say after using it I like Mio's a LOT better. You can move the map around and touch any spot on it and choose to navigate to that spot. But i do have a couple questions for you..

1.) How do you get KITT to say different things like "i'm really looking forward to this" or whatever like in the videos. Whenever i turn it on, it just says where would you like to go today.

2.) What is the battery power supposed to be on it? I charge it till the light turns green but after a couple hours of using it it says "battery Low please connect to power source immediately" and it even does that when i have the lighter adapter hooked up sometimes so i was wondering if your supposed to charge it longer thatn it takes the inicator to turn green.

3.) In preferences on the last page there's an icon that i think is for Traffic but it's constantly blacked out. What does this do and why is it not accessible?

Thanks for your help!

GoZO
Volunteer

Post by GoZO » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:05 pm

Where did you order it from? I order mine from Radio Shack and it says its released on the 24th.

Knight316
Operative

Post by Knight316 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:29 pm

I got mine from Sears in Canada. It released here on the 3d.

kittrules
Volunteer

Post by kittrules » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:25 pm

Hey there! You've got a charge of 2-3 hours, so if you forgot your car charger you've got some battery to get your from here to there. The grayed out traffic button is a feature of our software. Currently traffic is not supported in the device, but it could be later on down the line with a future update or something.

Taichi
Rookie

Post by Taichi » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:54 pm

Knight316 wrote:I got mine from Sears in Canada. It released here on the 3d.
Lucky you... we still have to wait till the 24th...

I wonder why Canada got it first?

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:27 am

Taichi wrote:
Knight316 wrote:I got mine from Sears in Canada. It released here on the 3d.
Lucky you... we still have to wait till the 24th...

I wonder why Canada got it first?
Me too.I guess they want the MIO KR GPS to be released at the same time as the KR'08 series. :D I wonder if it was done on purpose,a coincidence,or...a SIGN! :lol:
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

REDLEE73
Stranger

Post by REDLEE73 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:25 am

I was never really interested in purchasing a GPS but I was a Fan of the Knight Rider series and hopefully the "New" KNIGHT RIDER 2008 Series. 1 just bought this GPS and its pretty cool. The only Prob, I have is after I transfer some voice files around, I was then missing the initial Kitt voice TTS file? I've been in contact with tech support and they say they are working on the problem. Hopefully it will be soon! Besides that it's a nifty little novelty item!

Just to point out (Knight316) I have had exactly the same probs as you. Im waiting on a responce from MIO!

REDLEE73
Stranger

Post by REDLEE73 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:34 am

Well, after playing around with the gps I decided to re-install the voices once again, for some strange reason the (KITT US MALE) returned? Hmmm, weird a little buggy, but Im glad to have it back

KNIGHT805
Volunteer

Post by KNIGHT805 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:51 pm

So how does it sound? does it really sound like KITT from the old days?

KARR's Fury
Recruit

Post by KARR's Fury » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:08 pm

I played with my demo unit the day it came in. I work at The Source CC. I can shonestly say that it needs a software fix for the voice. The thing that doesn't impress me is that there is no text to speech when using KITT's voice. When I changed it to male or female it then shot out street names. Kinda a bummer in my books. Also, hope they add more names to the list. Not mine or any of my staff has their name in it either. I'm still holding off to see if they make a KARR varient. Here's to wishful thinking
:karr: I shall return and if you thought I was mean before... :karr:

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:47 am

Looks like Amazon.com has it for order as well: http://www.amazon.com/Mio-4-3-Inch-Port ... rideron-20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Slipstream
Volunteer

Knight Rider GPS In Stores

Post by Slipstream » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:53 pm

I went to Radio Shack today and to my surprise The Knight Rider GPS was there. It's out and it's looking good.

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:11 pm

hi i got my knight rider gps on september 18 its great

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Re: Knight Rider GPS In Stores

Post by FuzzieDice » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:57 pm

Are you in the US or Canada might I ask? I have seen about a month ago on the US Radio Shack that the release was for the 24th but I haven't been to the site since. Maybe it's now released early? I can only hope. :)

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Re: Knight Rider GPS In Stores

Post by Sue » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:57 pm

That’s awesome Slipstream! Now if only some nice Navtones representative would drop in and give us coupons. :mrgreen:
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.