wow, official news

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

DevonStyles
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

wow, official news

Post by DevonStyles » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:05 pm

wow it sure is hard to keep up with all the OFFICIAL news regarding the Glenn Larson Knight rider movie. I am still standing my position that their will be no movie, regardless what anyone thinks. At the most I would say were could see a direct to dvd movie but that's about it. How long has Glenn been on vacation writing this script? At least with the nbc knight rider were seeing moves being made on a daily basis. Their is no way Glenn's knight rider is going to compete with something that is being established as the new knight rider. It's not gonna work. It's like somebody else comming out with their version of transformers. I'm sure somebody will go see it but for the new generation of kids etc that are checking out transformers and knight rider those will be viewed as the original in a sense. Just a rant.... Surely Glenn could take 5 minutes out of his day hit record on a camera and give us an update. :good:
edited by the good folks at knightrideronline

Jay
Rookie

Re: wow, official news

Post by Jay » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:05 pm

You can have your opinion, but I know that news will be coming up, and that the movie will "hit the big screen".
"Alright Mr. KITT, let's burn some rubber!" Knight Song

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:05 pm

Glen is not the only person working on the movie. The script is just one of many, many parts. The Powers That Be at the Weinstein Company are the ones who need to move forward with an official timeline. They'll be the ones coordinating the budgets and the actors and the the designers and the distribution rights and all of that fancy stuff. Once they start handing out checks and move the film officially into the development phase then we'll start seeing news on a more regular basis.

It's frustrating but it's the way the business works.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Niggle Snoosh
Operative

Post by Niggle Snoosh » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:18 pm

I don't know, in some ways it's possible the new series could be benficial in regards to the new series. The fact that there is a new series shows that people are still willing to invest in such an idea. If such a thing works well on the small screen, just imagine how epic it could be on the big screen. Plus surely a really cool car that everybody should want would surely be easy to make merchandise for.

Plus have you noticed that the the NBC show refers to itself as Knight Rider: The Series not just Knight Rider, to me that says thats because they have to make room for Knight Rider: The Motion Picture
Michael: "Devon, someone tried to kill me last night!"
Devon: "I have an alibi"

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:33 pm

Niggle Snoosh wrote:Plus have you noticed that the the NBC show refers to itself as Knight Rider: The Series not just Knight Rider, to me that says thats because they have to make room for Knight Rider: The Motion Picture
I think that has more to do with distinguishing it from the existing TV Movie. They did the same thing with Battlestar Galactica after that mini-series. They want to make it clear that isn't just the same thing you saw in February; it's a new, ongoing series.

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Victor Kros » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:08 pm

Michael's first post is correct. Also it's "Glen Larson" not Glenn. You haven't heard any "official news" because as I've said before I'm not going to lie to people and give false hopes. As it stands right now there is no official news other then what I have already told you, Glen is working on the script revisions.

New things are coming but its taking time to do things properly, if you can't understand that then I don't know what to tell you. Keep your eye on Saugus.

=VK=
:dash:

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:07 pm

Michael Pajaro wrote:I think that has more to do with distinguishing it from the existing TV Movie. They did the same thing with Battlestar Galactica after that mini-series. They want to make it clear that isn't just the same thing you saw in February; it's a new, ongoing series.
Yeah, that's probably true. For some reason that didn't occur to me. I thought it had more to do with distinguishing itself from the original series. It's the right thing to do in any event. Two different series and a T.V. movie of the same name with the main characters having the same names would be a pain to discuss without confusion.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

chrisjones
FLAG Recruit

Post by chrisjones » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:33 pm

Ive said this so many times to many of my KR 'buddies' in the past regarding this, and I'm going to continue to stand firm. As much as I would LOVE to see this movie hit the big screen, it simply isn't going to happen if the NBC series takes off. Please understand that the 8 year old child in me would be in heaven if we were to see a movie from Glen, but its taking way, waaaaayyy too long now - to the point that its becoming somewhat of an 'in joke'. :(

There isn't space in todays rough and tumble commercial media industry for two Knight Rider's at one time.

A well made direct to DVD release may well be the sensible route to take, in many cases this is often the profitable as 'fans' will all spend $/£X amount on a DVD release without a second thought whereas its been proven that many wont spend on both Cinema AND DVD sales.
[b]No way you mentalist![/b]

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:09 am

I'll offer a counter-example for you chrisjones: Superman.

It's not a perfect analogy, but Superman Returns was not hurt by the ongoing TV success of Smallville. Their fandom had room for both projects even though they were very different in many ways.

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:38 am

chrisjones wrote:There isn't space in todays rough and tumble commercial media industry for two Knight Rider's at one time.
I can imagine KI3T and the KITT from the 2010 motion picture saying to eachother..."This town ain't big enough for the two of us!",while facing off on the intersection of Hollywood and Vine with a purple sunset as tumbleweeds pass by them,as The Good,the Bad,and the Ugly theme song plays just for the extra effect.
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:18 am

chrisjones wrote:There isn't space in todays rough and tumble commercial media industry for two Knight Rider's at one time.
I'd actually argue that many film/TV properties have existed side by side (either while the movie was in theaters or DVD as the show ran on TV). Star Trek, Star Wars, Superman, Transformers and Batman have all had films in theaters while a TV series (generally set in different continuities with the exception of Trek and Wars) were in production. I don't think the NBC series would hurt a KR theatrical movie. In fact, if it does well it would just bolster it. There would be a reciprocal effect where the TV show boosts the public profile of the movie and vice versa, and that would be really nice to see.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

chrisjones
FLAG Recruit

Post by chrisjones » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:22 am

Problem with this situation is they are two very different versions of 'Knight Rider'.

Like I said, I really hope it happens, but common sense and experience tells me that at most we will get a direct to DVD Knight Rider movie.

And to be brutally honest..... if it was going to happen, it would have done by now. How long as this movie been in pre-prod for now??

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:57 am

chrisjones wrote:Problem with this situation is they are two very different versions of 'Knight Rider'.
Two very different versions of a show can exist side by side on TV and big screen. Taking from my post above, here are two examples:

Superman
"Superman Returns" showed a post-Donner-verse Superman returning to Earth after years of being gone and once again going head to head against Lex Luthor.

"Smallville", which was on air at the same time, shows a young Clark who is not even in costume or flying yet and does not have a full understanding of his origin or powers (at least, not to the level of movie-Supes).

Batman
"Batman Begins" was a dark, gritty look at Bruce Wayne's beginnings as the Batman. Set in a much less fanciful world than the gothic nightmare of Tim Burton's world (or the neon colored strips of Joel Schumacher's world), the story was heavily character focused.

"The Batman", the animated series running on TV simultaneously was much more in line with the comic book visual portrayal of the character, with his familar grey and blue costume. Fantastic characters from his rogue's gallery were mostly reimagined including a Mr. Freeze with almost elemental powers and a super-oversized Bane.

I think KR08 and a potential movie could co-exist without an issue. Audiences are smart enough to "get" two different versions of a mythos, and thanks to press coverage (print, online, TV, radio etc.), anyone reading a newspaper or Entertainment Weekly (or heck, who watches E! or MTV) would be well informed of the difference long before the movie came out. :)
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

chrisjones
FLAG Recruit

Post by chrisjones » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:01 am

Fair points there Goldbug, I see what your saying.

But........ lol you knew that was coming.......... theres still the issue of this 'movie' seemingly being stuck in pre-production for infinity.

Matthew
Site Administrator

Post by Matthew » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:33 am

Whilst the Knight Rider movie has seemingly been in development hell for years, the thing we have to remember is that Glen Larson's version has only been in play since he signed up with the Weinstein Brothers a couple of years ago.

Unlike the version that David shopped to Revolution Studios, this project is a scratch built retelling of Knight of the Phoenix, so whilst a preexisting outline of certain events can be drawn upon, much, if not all of the history surrounding these events will have been rewritten in a way that not only modernizes the story, but also placates the corporate suits that will ultimately provide the money for the project to go into production.

I know it's small consolation, and won't necessarily effect the view that the movie has "been coming" for so long that it'll never arrive, but I do believe that this version will eventually reach the silver screen in some way, shape or form, even if the studio manage to somehow pervert, and ultimately destroy, what’s initially presented to them.

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:23 am

All these defenses of KR the movie vs NBC Series seem to site Superman Returns vs Smallville or the Batman films co exsisting alongside cartoon versions of the franchise as valid examples of co exsistence.

The major difference between the examples given and what the KR community are defending is all about origins.

Batman and Superman both started out as comic books and continue to exsist in those forms (im not a reader so forgive me if i wrongly assume that they are still being written about). They have been around for several decades allowing their universes to become a lot more rounded and diverse. The Superman movies all seem to be set in a 'timeless' environment whilst its clear that Smallville is intended to be contemporary, which kind of allows for the TV hero to grow into the guy with the cape with out looking dated, although they really need to start making the lead guy wear glasses cos he's getting to look to grown up now. (if people get used to seeing CK without glasses as a young man, he will be instantly recognisable when he starts wearing tights....)

Knight Rider has a problem, it lacks the pedigree of DC comic's creations.

Whilst we fondly remember the show, it should be noted that to the outside world, KR is remembered as a bit of a joke to some. The irony of DH's performance in the lead role is lost on casual observers of the show. Check out the "blooper/gag reels" on youtube for examples of the fun that DH had in the part.

I really don't see the show making it to the big screen or at least not by 2010, in fact i believe 2010 would be too soon. Exsisting fans have already endured KR2000, TKR and KR2010 all bearing the name but giving conflicting and short lived accounts of events.

It would be in better interests for the TV show to get GL's backing which would also give it more credibility and tie ins to TOS, hopefully gaining a new fan base and surviving beyond a full 1st season, getting into season 2 and then maybe re exploring the origins of the universe on the big screen.

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:29 am

Even if you look at this board, the motion picture has the least number of topics even though it is a more established branch of the forum than the NBC show. It would appear that despite peoples words to the contrary, their actions suggest that fans of TOS and KROnline are not that interested in the movie being made...

knightofthephoenix
Operative

Post by knightofthephoenix » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:09 pm

I have to disagree with you there.

I think the lack of topics is because of the lack of news. The 2008 NBC series will be here in another month while Larson's film is still being planned.

chrisjones
FLAG Recruit

Post by chrisjones » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:01 pm

and...................... still being planned. :lol:

Sorry couldnt resist.

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:49 am

You haven't heard much about the movie because it takes a great deal of time, energy, money, and teams of people to make a motion picture happen of a blockbuster magnitude. We're not talking about some made for DVD feature with a shoe-string budget. This motion picture is intended to be a blockbuster and as such must have the budget to accomidate the needs to make it work on a larger scale then a made for tv movie.

This requires at least 100 million dollars, money that doesn't just magically provide itself.

When there is information availible, everyone will hear about it and probably faster then even I can report it. You just have to continue to be patient and realize that without a locked script in place, marketing and production cannot really be done in the manner this movie is being handled. You really should be pleased that say like Pixar movies, more attention is being placed into having a strong story/script, before giving you purely eye candy and things that go "boom".

These things take time but I cannot assure you enough this movie is moving forword. It's not being rushed out for the sake of ratings or to beat the competition. Granted if the movie waits too long to get moving, it will be hard to coincide with the forthcoming television series but before production can begin, Glen and TWC want a solid place to start from, from the start then adjust if need be along the way. The only way to really accomplish this successfully is to have a production ready script. Some movie studios (not talking television production) like to make up the script as they go along through production and sometimes it works but it's a greater risk to take if your concept falls apart by the third act.

=VK=
:dash:

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:24 am

I don't mind waiting for a movie,especially if it helps to make a good story and script. :) But I have to admit there's a part of me that can't wait.
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

Niggle Snoosh
Operative

Post by Niggle Snoosh » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:52 am

I still have faith that the movie will go ahead, whether we get i in 2010 in later. So what if the script isn't finalised yet, we know that Glen Larson is working on it and we know that The Weinstein Company is already onboard. The final completed project maybe years away but we do have some of the foundaions in place so we should just be happy with that.

For blockbuster purposes i would have thought the basic premise is reasonabily sound, perhaps mildly cheesy but good cheesy. For one it would to a certain extent be a buddy movie, a tried and tested format that works. People like going to the movies, people like cars, people like movies about/with cars so why shouldn't people love a movie about the coolest, most adavnced car on the planet. As a society we are also very fond of gadgets and KITT is the most amazing gadget who himself is full of other amazing gadgets. The concept of AI in recent(ish) films is always about an one that turns evil so it would be refreshing to have something about a good trustworthy AI for a change.

Now a number of people have said that with the arrival of the new NBC series any chance of a movie is now gone, i for one don't believe that. It's not ideal to have two takes on the same franchise at the same time because each has to be different and individual enough to stand on the own two by themselves but still staying somewhat true to the franchise roots.
The NBC series got in there first and do to some extent have the upper hand because providing all goes well for them by the time the movie is finally out or fully underway they may have an established fanbase. However this is where the new series could inadvertantly help out the movie. The movie industry today is all about profit, where risks don't like to be taken with large sums of money, these days it is usually only offered to what has proven to have been already successful. The reason why we are currently being flooded with superhero and family CGi movies year on year and why studios always insist on big name celebrities

The main reason that Knight Rider hasn't made it to the big screen yet is that the powers that be consider it a risk. The show may have a loyal fanbase (us :D )and have great potential to be reinvented for a new generation. If all we had until now was just the original series i imagine we may have seen a movie by now. Sadly possible investors in our beloved franchise will be all too aware of KR2000 and TKR and to some extent KR2010, all of which tanked. The reason they tanked is because they ignored what made Knight Rider great but that is of no consequnce since the risk factor is already there. Also i am a fan of the mighty Hoff but his is widely considered to be a cheesey icon and as such is the subject to alot of undeserved negativity. Now what show was it (besides baywatch) that his name synonomous with? Again the risk factor goes up. A few shows have already made the jump to the big screen and as a whole haven't been that successful. If we were to take Starsky & Hutch and Miami Vice for instance we have two shows that were adapted to opposite ends of the scale one made a low brow comedy and one tried to be gritty and urban. Both missed the point of their respective shows entirely, tried to make them something their not to appease the masses, i imagine may have also been rushed into production and were suprised that the were unsuccessful.

However thanks to NBC and their powers that be there is concrete evidence that there is still faith in the franchise and considering the way the PR campaign seems to heading there is quite a lot of faith in it. Faith that would bring the risk factor down. So if the series were to well it will prove that the franchise is not the risk people thought it was and would now have an established fanbase to milk....sorry, to appeal to. So a series about a cool talking car does well on a tv budget, just imagine what we could do with a blockbuster budget. Then of course there's the potentional merchandise that may follow.

We of course also have one Glen Larson in our camp who is soending time to make a great script that is worthy of standing beside or successing his original creation and if we have to wait a little longer because of that then so be it :good:

Niggle Snoosh
Operative

Post by Niggle Snoosh » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:58 am

There is also the fact that depending on who well or badly the new NBC Knight Rider is recieved thanks to feedback from us, the new target audience and media critics there will be an abundance of information of what did and didn't work.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:44 am

Some great points in previous posts. But Knight Rider and a strong script together in one sentence? :lol:

I was also thinking of the Smallville comparison but, again, as mentioned, KR is NOT a classic in terms of being on the same scale as Superman or Batman. I'm a fan of the show but I'm not a blind fan.

Most people remember the show as a camp 80's series for kids. Right there, that tells you a lot.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me if the studios are just plain SCARED of making the movie because of what happened with Dukes of Hazzard, Miami Vice etc.

Miami Vice was a serious movie, much more than the comedic Dukes of Hazzard.....and still flopped. Baring in mind it was also directed by the great Michael Mann.

The Transformers movie worked and was a great movie at that but unfortunately, that's due to it's bigger cult fanbase and the fact that the original product was an animation show.

When you have a LIVE action show about a talking car, the overall tone becomes a bit of a joke to some people.

I believe the movie will come, not for a few yrs yet, however, the script DOES exist because I saw Larson hold it up in a video.

Unless it was something else and he was lying and I'm not prepared to make that accusation.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ontario Knight
Operative

Post by Ontario Knight » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:41 pm

Niggle Snoosh wrote:I don't know, in some ways it's possible the new series could be benficial in regards to the new series. The fact that there is a new series shows that people are still willing to invest in such an idea. If such a thing works well on the small screen, just imagine how epic it could be on the big screen. Plus surely a really cool car that everybody should want would surely be easy to make merchandise for.

Plus have you noticed that the the NBC show refers to itself as Knight Rider: The Series not just Knight Rider, to me that says thats because they have to make room for Knight Rider: The Motion Picture
Actually I agree that if the series really takes off then like Star Trek the Next Generation made numerous movies becuase of its TV success, so having said that I think the Weinstien Company is waiting to see this to stratigize with NBC Universal to come up with a script.... :kitt: