Irritating bad news for KR 2008 on scifi.com

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

3rings
Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Irritating bad news for KR 2008 on scifi.com

Post by 3rings » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:12 am

Many people are predicting that Knightrider will vanish the quickest from its fall schedule based up against 6 more scifi shows. You can cast your vote in of which scifi show you think it will be that vanishes the quickest. I sure hope we can prove them all wrong and hope that KR 2008 will succeed. I hope at least a minimum of two seasons, but three to four seasons would be fantastic.

:kitt:

DJGM
FLAG Assistant

Re: Irritating bad news for KR 2008 on scifi.com

Post by DJGM » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:20 am

Except for the fact that Knight Rider has never been pure sci-fi. It's action-adventure with
a little sci-fi fantasy thrown in for good measure. Maybe the new series is a little bit more
sci-fi-esque than the classic KR with the transforming/morphing abilities of the new KITT,
but there's no Doctor Who style time travel or Star Trek style stuff in outer space.

Who cares about what a bunch of sci-fi nerds think of our favourite TV show anyway?

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:40 pm

I couldn't find the poll or results on the site. I believe part of their consternation is that the relaunch of KR has a lot in common (from a marketing perspective) as the reimagined "Bionic Woman" from last year. It's being advertised as an updated and "hip" version of a classic show. It is getting massive press, commercials and now the banner on the building (thanks Sue!). This is very similar to the marketing campaign used for "Bionic" before it aired, and we all know where that went.

Sadly, if these same people took a few minutes and did some research to see how much care was being put into the show to connect it to its roots, they may back off on their opinions of gloom and doom (I emphasize may).

Also, scifi fans as a whole tend to see shows they love get cancelled with or without cause. One of the gleaming examples is "Firefly", and in the fantasy/drama realm "Wonderfalls". These shows are pretty much universally agreed upon as having "died before their time", so scifi fans tend to be pessimistic about most new shows.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:33 pm

Here is the link:

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.ph ... 1&id=58651

We already had a thread about this here:
viewtopic.php?f=1041&t=11953&p=141755&h ... ds#p141755

I guess this shows it's all a matter of perspective. The other thread sees is as SciFi saying this is the 2nd most likely show to succeed.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Ave4uevoli
Volunteer

Post by Ave4uevoli » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:24 pm

while I could tolerate the first pilot episode of KR. From what I've seen the season is going to start off with a lot of flashy lights - a Kitt cave and have really technical nonsense-speak of which the actors cannot pull off (and I love techno-babble).

For those who know - I'm predicting that this new season of KR will be very much like what USA did to the 4th season of Airwolf... (only instead of reusing footage as they did on airwolf - they'll have new CGI footage that is too over the top, not at all relevant to the story except to give the viewers some pretty eye candy)

which by the way - for those of you who have seen the trailer of KITT transforming - take a look at that compared to the old "transformation" of superpursuit mode or even one post here which shows the old movie Taxi 4 which shows a car transforming. Both of the "real life" transformations actually look better than the CGI because I believe with CGI
1) they try to do too much
2) they never zoom up close to show up the individual parts transforming or moving they always show the entire car transforming at once - and in my opinion - makes it less realistic. This phenomenon is analogous to the new Transformer movie where movie producers and CGI people were so proud that they could get like 3000 pieces of truck or machinary moving all at the same time on the screen. Sure kinda cool - but actually I felt myself having to use my imagination more because no machine could possibly do what they showed those transformers doing. (Ie. some robot having rocket launchers popping out of his hand... where did the parts for that rocket launcher come from? who knows... ah... but if it was real life - and engineers were forced to create that effect using real props then yea, all the pieces that make up the rocket launcher would be accounted for).

The only exception I have with all the new CGI stuff - is with Iron Man - of which they actually made a real working stunt suit and modeled the computer generated suit after that. Sure they added some CGI flaps her and there -and a removable helmet - but again, nothing near as crazy to believe as a transforming car.

Long gone are the good ol' days of TV. Our great cartoons, voltron, the old transformers, thundercats, even Batman the animated series - have been replaced with Pokemon.
Our great Tv shows - knight rider, a-team, airwolf etc.. have been replaced with CGI fluff.

I wouldn't get my hopes up on this lasting too long.

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:08 pm

so SCI FI Contradicts itself b/c it said earlier KR08 had odds to be a hit behind only one other show, but now it will fail :o :wink: :?: :| :!: :? :!: :!: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:10 pm

Ave4uevoli wrote: Long gone are the good ol' days of TV. Our great cartoons, voltron, the old transformers, thundercats, even Batman the animated series - have been replaced with Pokemon.
Back in the 80s, I probably would have said something like this:
"Long gone are the good ol' days of TV. Our great cartoons, Speed Racer, the old Scooby Doo, Battle of the Planets, even Superfriends - have been replaced with Transformers."

And 20 years from now, the thirtysomethings will be complaining that "why don't they make good TV anymore like High School Musical?"

Don't count the new Knight Rider out just yet.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:26 pm

3rings wrote:Many people are predicting that Knightrider will vanish the quickest from its fall schedule based up against 6 more scifi shows. You can cast your vote in of which scifi show you think it will be that vanishes the quickest. I sure hope we can prove them all wrong and hope that KR 2008 will succeed. I hope at least a minimum of two seasons, but three to four seasons would be fantastic.

:kitt:

Except for the fact that, it had the second best odds on the shows they listed? It means nothing anyway since they're picking Fringe as the most likely to succeed with odds of 2 to 1. The only problem is that it's Fox and that automatically should move the odds for that show down to 10 to 1, heh. Either way, that's not an article to take seriously.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

nee716
Operative

Post by nee716 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:45 pm

Well I hope and pray that NBC learned from their Bionic Woman (BW) mistake. The one huge mistake in BW was that the main characters name was Jamie Summers with no connection to the past Bionic Woman whatsoever. Just some mid 20's girl who was sleepin with a 40ish year old guy who gives her Bionic Limbs. From what we know about KR2008 so far and can put together is that Mike Traceur is going to start using the Michael Knight alias for his own protection possibly. We will find out more once the series begins. But from what GST has been saying that there will be a connection from TOS to this one. They already had the ball rolling from the 2 hour back-door pilot. So I hope GST can meld it all together.

Anthony
:kitt: :dash: :spmgo:

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:34 pm

To be fair to "Bionic", the reason there was no other connection to the original show are due to rights issues. The Bionic Man and all elements borrowed from its source novel "Cyborg" were off limits in the show. That's why there was no Oscar, no OSI, no actual "Bionics" (she used "anthrocytes" in the show).

KR08 on the other hand is clearly connected to the original show. If the cameos by several KI2T parts didn't do it, or all the verbal cues (20 years ago there was an urban legend etc.) then the appearance by Da Hoff as MK should solidify it. :) Still, a connection to the past isn't enough as KR 2000 and TKR demonstrated. The show needs to be well written, humorous, have good action and of course, neato gadget stuff to properly continue the formula the original KR began.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:22 pm

It basically has to be fun like the original was, something IMO Bionic Woman was not. Nor were KR2000 or TKR, at least to me from what little I saw of it, couldn't take watching anymore than what I actually did.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:00 am

Well I am a big computer nerd and science fiction nerd myself...Star Trek and Star Wars, Larry Niven and Arthur C. Clarke and Jules Verne...I never thought jocks/car people would have liked Knight Rider until recently, I have had a lot of bad experiences with such people IRL, they were the ones who beat me up in school. It is not as bad on here...but I do hope that scifi poll is incorrect. :)

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:31 am

I hope that SciFi poll is wrong! :D Lets all prove them wrong! :good:
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:33 pm

Well, I think Sci-Fi was proven wrong since Fringe ended up being a big disappointment in the ratings and reception. I'll probably give it a chance but from the first episode, which apparently cost around 10 million dollars to make for some reason and was pretty underwhelming in my opinion. If it doesn't pick up by the third or fourth episode I think it'll be doomed for cancellation.

Hopefully Knight Rider performs better, I have no doubts that it'll be a lot more fun to watch.

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:55 pm

"As a service to you, the busy and possibly overwhelmed viewer, SCI FI Wire offers its predictions for the hits and misses of the fall 2008 season, in descending order, based on early buzz and the pilots we've seen so far. You can take these to the bank. "

Based on pilots.......well that says it all!

I would`nt worry about what they say, I think KR has a very good chance of being sucessful, the new trailers are just confirming this. I dont see why it would fail , all the elements for a good TV show seem to be in place.

We`ll find out soon enough eh?

Stylez
FLAG Recruit

Post by Stylez » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:56 pm

Hey wait a sec! Doesn't NBCU own the Sci-Fi channel or is the Neo-Citron I've been taking for my cold getting to me?! If NBCU does own it then they should be spanked! lol

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:03 am

Yeah, GE/NBCU owns Sci-Fi and it's been in need of a good spanking for almost ten years now. But the best thing to happen is for the new KR to be a big success and Fringe falls into mediocrity and gets canned.