POLL: SHOULD NBC MODIFY THE DASHBOARD

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Should NBC ***PHYSICALLY*** modify the Ford Mustang dashboard?

No, the dashboard should remain exactly the same, they can use CGI for digital gauges.
14%
Yes, they should physically modify the dashboard, either with a series of LCD screens or digital gauges.
86%

Total votes: 35

seeker78
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

POLL: SHOULD NBC MODIFY THE DASHBOARD

Post by seeker78 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:39 pm

I think NBC should PHYSICALLY modify the dashboard, as in, replace it with digital gauges etc. If it just has a big LCD screen where the gauges would be, and then small analog gauges underneath as backup, that would be acceptable. But it needs to be physically modified and it has to look different than a normal Mustang dashboard. This would do two things:

(a) have a more Knight Rider feel to the car
(b) start a market for mustang dashboard mods so people can make their mustang look more like on the show

See my thread about "digital gauges are better than CGI" for examples of what could be used and can be bought retail.

--Brian

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Re: POLL: SHOULD NBC MODIFY THE DASHBOARD

Post by FuzzieDice » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:59 pm

I think they should use CGI because then the sky's the limit. Remember, KITT gets upgraded frequently and so it probably would be easier to do that in a computer than making molds, etc.

I am not crazy about the globe vox though. I liked the one from the pilot. Or maybe they could do an updated one from the original 3-bar one of the Knight 2000.

KnightLady
Operative

Post by KnightLady » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:14 pm

I have to agree. I'm not too overly impressed with the globe voice box. I'm thinking that they could use a similar design like the original KITT had. Either that or use something similar to the one in the pilot.

Tobie
Operative

Post by Tobie » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:50 pm

i agree, it feels too underdesigned, i might do some concepts in my 3d model and post em here to see what people think. :dash:

GarthKnight08
FLAG Recruit

Post by GarthKnight08 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:40 pm

I think they should have just left the one from the pilot alone & just added the HUD on the windshield. I liked the touchscreen on the pilot car. They could have incorperated all of the gadgets with buttons on multiple screens on the one touchscreen. This snowball thing is really stupid.
Founder of OKA (Original KITT Anonymous)
If you need to get out feelings of loss for the Original KITT then we can help!

Shadowy Flight
Rookie
Location: Deadman's Curve (between Silicon Valley and Millston)

Post by Shadowy Flight » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:47 pm

Slightly off topic...let's keep KI3T the same, but when KI2T makes a cameo, people are concerned it'll look behind the times. Others WANT KI2T to look the same. We can have the best of both worlds. Some guy in Italy has the lower console of his KI2T all touch screen. Does anybody know the link to that? If the dashboard of the KI2T could be a touch screen, that would be awesome. When it powers down, its all flat black. Stepping into the i-World with shelltop adidas! The best of both worlds.
Nothing gold can stay. The Sun sets and it becomes a purple desert...then you get run over by a black car!!!

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:10 pm

Shadowy Flight wrote:Slightly off topic...let's keep KI3T the same, but when KI2T makes a cameo, people are concerned it'll look behind the times. Others WANT KI2T to look the same. We can have the best of both worlds. Some guy in Italy has the lower console of his KI2T all touch screen. Does anybody know the link to that? If the dashboard of the KI2T could be a touch screen, that would be awesome. When it powers down, its all flat black. Stepping into the i-World with shelltop adidas! The best of both worlds.
http://www.kittsupercar.com

Theres the link buddy

I also hope if Ki2t makes a cameo that he might have some kind of upgrades, surely the car of the future did`nt actually spend 25 years in storage?

Maybe we`ll see something in the new series eh?

NBC, Please?

Faithful Car KRO
FLAG Recruit

Post by Faithful Car KRO » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:44 am

Hello everyone. I've been coming here for a month now and finally decided to register.
I'm extremely excited about the new series, I was a huge fan of TOS as a kid and after watching the 2 hour in february, Im ready for the new series.

As for this topic, they need to change the dash. Even the touch-screen in the pilot looks better than just the little globe with the regular dash back in place. So I got bored here at work and grabbed some pics to make the picture below of what they could've done with the dash....

I know the picture is crap, i dont have photoshop (nor know how to use it if i did) so i did this in ms paint.
"Michael, I agree with your earlier assessment, back-up plans suck."- KI3T
Put the word out!
WATCH THE SHOW!!!: Wed at 8:00pm on NBC.
Its getting better and gaining ratings, AWESOME!!

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:05 am

Faithful Car KRO wrote:Hello everyone. I've been coming here for a month now and finally decided to register.
I'm extremely excited about the new series, I was a huge fan of TOS as a kid and after watching the 2 hour in february, Im ready for the new series.

As for this topic, they need to change the dash. Even the touch-screen in the pilot looks better than just the little globe with the regular dash back in place. So I got bored here at work and grabbed some pics to make the picture below of what they could've done with the dash....
That's pretty cool, :) I still don't like the analog gauges though...I would like to see digital gauges, and maybe smaller analog ones below as a backup...

--Brian

Garthe Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Garthe Knight » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:37 am

Oh yes, please. I want
- buttons
- LED gauges
- LCD Screens
- a gullwing steering wheel
- and a fix Voice Modulator above the steering wheel

KITTs dash should look like the cockpit of an airplane (or like Darth Vader's bathroom :wink: ), futuristic is great, but some functions just have to be accessible manually.

Images like that made KITT so awesome:

What I mean: let it shine! Even this Toyota Supra dash looks awesome just because of the LEDs:

Solid Snake
FLAG Recruit

Post by Solid Snake » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:24 am

Garthe Knight wrote:Oh yes, please. I want
- buttons
- LED gauges
- LCD Screens
- a gullwing steering wheel
- and a fix Voice Modulator above the steering wheel

KITTs dash should look like the cockpit of an airplane (or like Darth Vader's bathroom :wink: ), futuristic is great, but some functions just have to be accessible manually.

Images like that made KITT so awesome:

What I mean: let it shine! Even this Toyota Supra dash looks awesome just because of the LEDs:
I guess that's a matter of taste, where the KITT dash is tastefull and elegant, the Toyota one is just gastly and tacky... to me anyway.
Knight Rider, powered by Ford!

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:40 am

Well KITT's is a little less overpowering yes. But I do think there should be some dash modification. The point made with the Toyota has some merit. I wouldn't call THAT great but it does show that LEDs could be used in such a way that wasn't...well, 1982. Even the Season 3/4 dash had some touch-sensitive buttons (the Power and Cruise ones), those can be used to still have buttons and not be so 80s.

But either way, an LCD, something. Why should the inside look...like a mustang when outside looks like a freakin rocket ship? My car is from 1995 and I have a digital speedometer (stock)
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:12 am

Yeah, the interior and dash really do need work. Just so bare and boring... Maybe the CGI will make it "pretty" but without having something there, it's going to be "meh" whenever the HUD isn't up and running.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Garthe Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Garthe Knight » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:49 am

My point is, the dash looks so much better when it glows.
See:

Now a great Voice modulator above the steering wheel, one more monitor in the middle, some buttons... perfect. 8)