Hasselhoff in final talks to guest star?

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

neps
Site Administrator
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Hasselhoff in final talks to guest star?

Post by neps » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:39 am

from scifi wire: http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?id=58891
"He may make an appearance later this season," Thompson said in an interview on the show's set in Santa Clarita, Calif. "He is talking to NBC next week, and we are working out everyone's schedule ... I don't want to put him in just for the sake of having him drop by; I want there to be a good reason for him being there and have it be part of the story. I talked to David about a way of doing that, and so far he likes it. It's a cool idea."

Thompson (Las Vegas) added that he has a dream scenario: Teaming Hasselhoff's Michael Knight with Justin Bruening's Mike Tracer, with both K.I.T.T.s: The original Pontiac Trans Am, originally voiced by William Daniels, and the Ford Mustang GT500KR, voiced by Val Kilmer. "I don't know if it will happen," Thompson said. "It's all about timing."

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Re: Hasselhoff in final talks to guest star?

Post by goldbug » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:51 am

It's a dream scenario I think everyone's wanted since KR started getting spin offs. From TKR to now, this is truly a situation where if it doesn't bring ratings in, NOTHING will.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

Mango19
Rookie

Post by Mango19 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:54 am

If Hasselhoff says he's in for a season finale or big two-parter with the original KITT in the back nine episodes, then KR is guaranteed to get the order for the full season from NBC. NBC won't pass up on that type of ratings gold - GST knows what he's doing...

cajunknight0153
Operative

Post by cajunknight0153 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:05 am

ok so he talked to david hasselhoff and it looks promising, but what about william daniels, if he wants the original trans am, he's gotta talk to william daniels, the voice

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:13 am

well, isn't that interesting; hasselhoff knows Bruce davison. i don't remember them ever working together, so i wonder how they met. Was he on baywatch or something? As for having William Daniels back as the voice of KITT, i think it's more than just a matter of timing.
KITT: I walked right into that one, didn't I?
Michael: More like Turbo Boosted.

Mango19
Rookie

Post by Mango19 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:25 am

Well, Daniels did the Mio thing, so it's clear he's open to reprising the role in some capacity. And it's a lot easier to schedule a VO session than an onscreen shoot. If the script is strong enough and the check's big enough (and if perhaps if Hasselhoff asks him personally), why not?

HisNameisGarth
Operative

Post by HisNameisGarth » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:30 am

I think this scenario is promising.

I'd hope they'd pick up where they left off in "Scent of the Roses" -- the true
finale for the original series. They might even consider a flashback sequence....

I know RC3 (Peter Parros) is still acting. Maybe he can make a guest appearance.
There ain't no E in Garth, damn it.

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:41 am

Thompson (Las Vegas) added that he has a dream scenario: Teaming Hasselhoff's Michael Knight with Justin Bruening's Mike Tracer, with both K.I.T.T.s: The original Pontiac Trans Am, originally voiced by William Daniels, and the Ford Mustang GT500KR, voiced by Val Kilmer. "I don't know if it will happen," Thompson said. "It's all about timing."
I like where this is going. These GST quotes get better everyday. He’s like a dad telling his kids, “Now I can’t promise…” Too late GST you told us, our hopes are up, now you have to! :mrgreen:
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:46 am

HisNameisGarth wrote:I think this scenario is promising.

finale for the original series. They might even consider a flashback sequence....

I know RC3 (Peter Parros) is still acting. Maybe he can make a guest appearance.
He wasn't too impressed with the two hour pilot, so i wouldn't hold my breath on that one. Is he still in new york, doing "As the World turns?"

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:53 am

Wow! OMG I can't believe what my eyes are seeing! I have been waiting for GST and hoping he would do this, I had trust in him and knew we were in good hands! I'm so excited right now that I'm writing iPhone LOL. Let's make it happen, if Mio can get his voice NBC def can! Can't wait, so happy it will be within the first season. :)

Joe

HisNameisGarth
Operative

Post by HisNameisGarth » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:39 pm

KRAvengerII wrote:
HisNameisGarth wrote:I think this scenario is promising.

He wasn't too impressed with the two hour pilot, so i wouldn't hold my breath on that one. Is he still in new york, doing "As the World turns?"
Yeah, I read that, too.
But there is nothing that can change someone's mind quicker -- like a big pay check.

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:05 pm

with all due respect to Peter Parros as an actor, the character he played was never an essential element of KR mythology...

If they are unable to secure the services of William Daniels then that does kind of limit the role that David Hasselhoff would play in the new incarnation unless a new talented V/O artist is recruited to 'impersonate' Daniels' take on KITT's voice (which im sure would be unpopular with fans but but can be negated in terms of storyline by saying something along the lines of 'circuits slightly corroded with time...')

I don't know about anyone else but i never assumed Michael and KITT's adventures ended back in 86, just that the cameras stopped rolling. With that in mind would fans like to see KITT as he was back on TV or as he might have been at the end of his adventures (a more recent version of a T/A perhaps with new features...)???

Personally i'd go for the latter option, it would be cool to see a one off custom version of the last T/A that were made, retaining the original scanner but maybe with its interior just starting to look a little like the touch screen from the Feb pilot... (i mean the graphics capabilities not the VM, which should still look like the original but maybe just CGI now...) And still with buttons....

When do fans assume KITT went out of service???

adamtrek
Recruit

Post by adamtrek » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:39 pm

The only reason to do it is to have an old foe come back to create havoc on Knight Industries, and the trump card is having the elder Michael Knight being the only man to help the new agent, Michael Knight, take down the bad guys. On one condition only though, as the original MK wants his old partner to help, the original KITT that Charles has maintained and kept in his garage, all these years as a personal favor to MK upon his leaving the Foundation upon it's mothballing. And since two super cars are better than one to take down the baddies, Charles obviously agrees and we get to see KITT in his 4th season glory, even getting a little SPM as both MK's speed off for the final showdown.

It would be neat, however to of seen KITT moved to the KITTCave, so the big reveal happens on that set as the original KITT was there all along, but Charles needed his CPU to establish the operations center in short order upon the request of the government, but since he promised MK to keep KITT as-is since his last mission, the old KITT is physically hooked up to the systems, car body and all for general computer functions and systems control, since Graimen is a computer genius it was the only viable way of getting the command center going as quickly as he did. It would actually be a cool arc before KI2T's appearance if scenes that take place in the KITTCave during the season, little odd glitches and things always occur that inexplicably help everyone during missions during the season, which will all be explained upon the big reveal, because Charles managed to use KI2T in secret for this purpose. In fact, we find out that the KITTCave is a rudimentary AI that the first KITT was used to "train" the command center. And the reasoning for this is that once KI2T is physically disconnected from the cave, KI2T's no longer needed as the command center's mainframe has sufficiently learned enough to be self-sufficient. That way, the older MK, at episode's end, is told by his son and Charles that the parting gift is he can take KI2T with him, with lifetime maintenance and care provided by Charles if it's ever needed in the future. That leaves it open for future appearances.

That would be my dream episode, of course being a two-parter. The villain being a baddie from the old show or a descendent of one. I would also want to see both KITTs doing a simultaneous turbo boost at some point during their shared mission with both cars interacting in funny yet smart ways to aid their human counterparts.
Watching KITT turbo boost since 1982.

HisNameisGarth
Operative

Post by HisNameisGarth » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:44 pm

Michael seemed to be "burning out" through much of Season 4 -- in episodes like "Scent of the Roses."
So I think most would have assumed that they worked for about 5 years or so when Michael left.

KR2000 kind of reinforced Michael Knight being a "burnout." Didn't he quit the foundation to go fishing?
I can't imagine Michael Knight had been with KITT this whole time -- 25 years of getting shot at, captured,
tortured, etc. I think its plausible that he moved into a more espionage or administrative role..... or simply retired.

But even the new pilot referred to the foundation as being inactive. So I'd imagine Michael Knight left by the early 1990s at the latest. I wouldn't mind seeing a reinvention of the original KITT -- perhaps a "Season 5" interpretation.

As for William Daniels -- I expect him to return. He really is a nice guy -- I think he enjoyed playing KITT. He probably also realizes that its one of his most memorable portrayals. I mean how many people play cars well? The TKR cars were horribly acted for the most part. Val Kilmer seems to "get it", though.

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:46 pm

adamtrek wrote:The only reason to do it is to have an old foe come back to create havoc on Knight Industries, and the trump card is having the elder Michael Knight being the only man to help the new agent, Michael Knight, take down the bad guys. On one condition only though, as the original MK wants his old partner to help, the original KITT that Charles has maintained and kept in his garage, all these years as a personal favor to MK upon his leaving the Foundation upon it's mothballing. And since two super cars are better than one to take down the baddies, Charles obviously agrees and we get to see KITT in his 4th season glory, even getting a little SPM as both MK's speed off for the final showdown.

It would be neat, however to of seen KITT moved to the KITTCave, so the big reveal happens on that set as the original KITT was there all along, but Charles needed his CPU to establish the operations center in short order upon the request of the government, but since he promised MK to keep KITT as-is since his last mission, the old KITT is physically hooked up to the systems, car body and all for general computer functions and systems control, since Graimen is a computer genius it was the only viable way of getting the command center going as quickly as he did. It would actually be a cool arc before KI2T's appearance if scenes that take place in the KITTCave during the season, little odd glitches and things always occur that inexplicably help everyone during missions during the season, which will all be explained upon the big reveal, because Charles managed to use KI2T in secret for this purpose. In fact, we find out that the KITTCave is a rudimentary AI that the first KITT was used to "train" the command center. And the reasoning for this is that once KI2T is physically disconnected from the cave, KI2T's no longer needed as the command center's mainframe has sufficiently learned enough to be self-sufficient. That way, the older MK, at episode's end, is told by his son and Charles that the parting gift is he can take KI2T with him, with lifetime maintenance and care provided by Charles if it's ever needed in the future. That leaves it open for future appearances.

That would be my dream episode, of course being a two-parter. The villain being a baddie from the old show or a descendent of one. I would also want to see both KITTs doing a simultaneous turbo boost at some point during their shared mission with both cars interacting in funny yet smart ways to aid their human counterparts.
I like the way you're thinking there but from what i gathered from GST's comic con interview is that KI3T is going to be the baddie at some point because of his rogue learning. With that in mind I forsee KITT coming in as the only way to stop the newer counterpart.

That of course means we may get to see MK jnr behind the wheel of the original KITT too....

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:52 pm

So he referred to Michael's son as "Mike Tracer"? And I thought MT was going to go by "Michael Knight" as it was shown in one of the preview videos at Comic Con?

This is getting confusing.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:42 pm

It's great to hear that Gary Scott Thompson is on the same page as most of us regarding the return of Michael Knight, classic K.I.T.T. and the idea of them teaming up with Mike and the current K.I.T.T. However, I think it's more a matter of clearing the hurdle of the 13-episode benchmark. And the only way to do that, I think, would be to maintain good enough ratings to convince NBC to continue investing money into what is one of the more expensive shows on television. As I understand it, there are written scripts for at least the first 8 episodes now (maybe more?), but if a proper story arc were to be implemented to get Michael to return, it may need more than one or two episodes.

I also don't think it would be good if Michael's story arc has to be cut short in order to cram it in before the 13 episode point, too. As Thompson said, it's a matter of timing. Getting way ahead of ourselves here, but in the long run, say the series makes it to two seasons; would it be better to have Michael and classic K.I.T.T. be reserved to appear for the new season? If they're used too soon in the first season, a major gimmick the series can have may be used too soon without having it as an incentive to keep viewers watching beyond their appearances later. Of course they could always return again or become regular recurring characters, but I don't think a second appearance could pull quite the same excitement and anticipation as the first. Plus, I'm not sure if it would steal the thunder from Justin, Deanna & Co. as leads, especially if more actors from the original series make appearances.

In regards to people suspecting that Peter Parros might not want to reprise his role as R.C. 3 in the series, as I understand it David Hasselhoff himself wasn't crazy about the backdoor pilot, either, but he still wants to reprise his role even despite the fact that he's said in interviews that the show will "miss the target a little bit." I think Peter should have the same attitude if he is ever asked to join the show, espeically if there's a big paycheck involved.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Knight316
Operative

Post by Knight316 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:02 pm

I wonder if he'll use it as a two-parter at the midseason break. It would be a great way to leave them hanging and wanting more and to come back after the break to see Hoff and KITT. It could also be a sly way of him getting NBC to agree to the full season order. I personally think that unless it doesn't get picked up, it'll be a Season Finale episode that leaves you hanging with KI3T going Rougue and KI2T and Hoff coming out of retirement to help out.

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:12 pm

Lost Knight wrote:It's great to hear that Gary Scott Thompson is on the same page as most of us regarding the return of Michael Knight, classic K.I.T.T. and the idea of them teaming up with Mike and the current K.I.T.T. However, I think it's more a matter of clearing the hurdle of the 13-episode benchmark. And the only way to do that, I think, would be to maintain good enough ratings to convince NBC to continue investing money into what is one of the more expensive shows on television. As I understand it, there are written scripts for at least the first 8 episodes now (maybe more?), but if a proper story arc were to be implemented to get Michael to return, it may need more than one or two episodes.

I also don't think it would be good if Michael's story arc has to be cut short in order to cram it in before the 13 episode point, too. As Thompson said, it's a matter of timing. Getting way ahead of ourselves here, but in the long run, say the series makes it to two seasons; would it be better to have Michael and classic K.I.T.T. be reserved to appear for the new season? If they're used too soon in the first season, a major gimmick the series can have may be used too soon without having it as an incentive to keep viewers watching beyond their appearances later. Of course they could always return again or become regular recurring characters, but I don't think a second appearance could pull quite the same excitement and anticipation as the first. Plus, I'm not sure if it would steal the thunder from Justin, Deanna & Co. as leads, especially if more actors from the original series make appearances.

In regards to people suspecting that Peter Parros might not want to reprise his role as R.C. 3 in the series, as I understand it David Hasselhoff himself wasn't crazy about the backdoor pilot, either, but he still wants to reprise his role even despite the fact that he's said in interviews that the show will "miss the target a little bit." I think Peter should have the same attitude if he is ever asked to join the show, espeically if there's a big paycheck involved.
Well, this brings up an interesting point- have there been any interviews ANYWHERE about the other actors on the original KR and how THEY felt about the show? I hate to be nitpicky and all, but my concern about William Daniels reprising the voice of KITT, is how he might sound, these days. he is 81 after all- my dad's almost that old, and i've noticed how weak his voice is getting sometimes.

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:17 pm

WD still sounds like we all remember him, just a little deeper tone in his voice, Im sure if they get him to voice K2000 in the new series it will fit with the story well, unless it sounds strange but they can always sort that out in production.

Have you heard the Mio KR GPS? that will give you a fair idea of what he sounds like now.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=j55rzaml-Ic

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:55 pm

KRAvengerII wrote:Well, this brings up an interesting point- have there been any interviews ANYWHERE about the other actors on the original KR and how THEY felt about the show? I hate to be nitpicky and all, but my concern about William Daniels reprising the voice of KITT, is how he might sound, these days. he is 81 after all- my dad's almost that old, and i've noticed how weak his voice is getting sometimes.
The only thing I've heard about this is from the San Diego Comic Con footage of Sue talking to Gary Scott Thompson about the possibility of the original series actors coming back. It appears as if he's open to the idea, but that nobody has been contacted about it yet. As we know Edward Mulhare passed away in 1997; Patricia McPherson dropped out of acting to pursue the preservation of the Ballona Wetlands; Peter Parros is still acting as a soap-opera regular (One Life To Live, I believe); and William Daniels who is still doing movies. Not sure what's going on with Rebecca Holden. Since William just did voice work for the Mio GPS, there may be hope that he's still open to reprising his role as K.I.T.T. Other than him, Peter is probably the most likely to return since he is the only other person still acting. But I'd really love to see Bonnie back, even if it's only for a quick cameo.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:03 pm

actually, i was asking about interviews with the original actors, and how they felt about the original series.

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:09 pm

If they can get WD to voice Kitt in the movie Benchwarmers, why would he not do Kitt in the new series?

AzBat360
Recruit

Post by AzBat360 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:22 pm

weeezl wrote:If they can get WD to voice Kitt in the movie Benchwarmers, why would he not do Kitt in the new series?
Personally it wouldn't hurt my feelings if they used an impersonator precisely because of the Mio and Benchwarmers. I'm sorry, but WD doesn't sound like KITT anymore to me. Too deep and slow. Heresy I know, but when I want to hear the original KITT I'd rather watch the original show. Now, if they get him and then do some processing to make him sound like the ole KITT of yesteryear, then fine. But if it's going to sound like the Mio or Benchwarmers, then I'll pass.

AzBat360

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:28 pm

Up to you mate but they are both 25 years older, I would rather hear Daniels than an impersonator, with all the technology available today surely they could pitch him up a little and make him sound just like the Kitt we all remember. It just wouldnt be right to hear Kitt with a different voice, take Kickin It Old-School for instance, it sounded stupid.