KITT on Universal Backlot

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

luizel
Volunteer

Re: KITT on Universal Backlot

Post by luizel » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:29 pm

was that u VK thnks.

i guess ill be seeing you @ saugus?
:kitt2:

neps
Site Administrator
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by neps » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:53 pm

luizel wrote:wow i am speechless that my findings made it to such a prestigious website as KRO.
Thanks for the kind words! Glad you are here, your photos are really interesting, and I've spent hours looking at Sat photos for KITT at Universal, so it's really cool for me to see something actually there.

No worries on the credit - I never post anything without properly crediting where it was from. It's just not right if you don't. Goes without saying really. You can see this is true from our news area, everything is always properly credited for years and years)

Showpro1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Showpro1 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:18 pm

Luizel;

Good to have you at Knight Rider Online, it is eye opening stuff if not somewhat sad.
It would be great if that KITT could be bought privately & restored, but given the fact it most probably
didnt have a motor or transmission as well as the laundry list of stuff that would need to be done it would cost a fortune.
Thanks for the photo's

D. Doggett. :spmgo:

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:34 pm

Welcome to the board Luizel! :mrgreen:
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

JWise1203
Volunteer

Post by JWise1203 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:13 pm

If you would like to look on the bright side ... that car could be used for the new series to bring the KI 2K back! Granted it would take A LOT of work and money. But hey, doesn't Universal have that?

Will this acutally happen however, no way.

jaimetheking
Operative

Post by jaimetheking » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:30 pm

JWise1203 wrote:If you would like to look on the bright side ... that car could be used for the new series to bring the KI 2K back! Granted it would take A LOT of work and money. But hey, doesn't Universal have that?

Will this acutally happen however, no way.
They have tons of dough! You think they didn't make a profit in the recent fire? They made insurance money and made money off of the scrap metal. But overall they do have money, and I hate it when all those screen cars are just sitting outside like junk! It kills me that KITT, BTTF cars, Jurassic Park cars, and others, are outside wasting away...so sad.

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:51 pm

1982 wrote: It could be a either a Firebird or Trans Am.
:shifty: I'm sorry. I got a chuckle out of that.
The Knight Rider Fan Game Project:
http://www.theknightrider.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rookie

Post by 1982 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:03 am

msKEN wrote:
1982 wrote: It could be a either a Firebird or Trans Am.
:shifty: I'm sorry. I got a chuckle out of that.
What is there to chuckle at?

The pictures don't verify it to be either model.

The tail lights are definately from a Firebird.

The first pics do not show a spoiler, but a later one does. The spoiler wasn't an option on an 82 Firebird, but was 83 and up. No telling what year the car is.

From the pics, you can't really tell for sure if it has the fender vent. The parts unique only to the Trans Am is the hood and that ground effect. Parts can be easily swapped. This car was either originally red, or the door was swapped. Who knows what was done to it. More info and pics are needed.

The KITT convertibles were originally Firebirds and made to look like Trans Ams. Anything is possible. :D

Solid Snake
FLAG Recruit

Post by Solid Snake » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:11 am

I just thought of something... If KITT was more or less deactivated and abadonned in the mythology of KR2008, this is the perfect car to use for it then... I mean imagine, they would need KITT for some reason and his shell was stored at some old beat up warehouse close to sea... this would be perfect for it! Salty air does get to a car after some years of non movement, after all... the Foundation was "dead" hence Charles resurecting it.

Would be a great way for this car to come back to "glory".
Knight Rider, powered by Ford!

DevonStyles
FLAG Recruit

Post by DevonStyles » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:26 am

Great reason to bring Bonnie back if they could find contact info for her.... Which is laughable. In this day in age you can find anyone if you set your mind to it. Especially someone who has been in showbiz.
edited by the good folks at knightrideronline

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:55 pm

Absolutely DevonStyles, any episode that has KI2T's triumphal return has gotta have Bonnie there! She’s the only one who truly knows him after all.
You never know KI2T's outdated technology and Bonnie’s expertise in it might just be what’s needed to save the day. I would imagine that KI2T is not susceptible to modern computer viruses for example. So when KI3T gets infected FLAG might just have to dig KI2T out of storage. :mrgreen:
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

Rookie

Post by 1982 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:02 pm

Bring Bonnie back to make KI2K Y2K compliant. :D

Hello Michael. What year is this? Is it really 1908?

JWise1203
Volunteer

Post by JWise1203 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:11 pm

Solid Snake wrote:I just thought of something... If KITT was more or less deactivated and abadonned in the mythology of KR2008, this is the perfect car to use for it then... I mean imagine, they would need KITT for some reason and his shell was stored at some old beat up warehouse close to sea... this would be perfect for it! Salty air does get to a car after some years of non movement, after all... the Foundation was "dead" hence Charles resurecting it.

DevonStyles wrote:Great reason to bring Bonnie back if they could find contact info for her.... Which is laughable. In this day in age you can find anyone if you set your mind to it. Especially someone who has been in showbiz.
Wow this would be a great storyline to weave into the new series. I would think they would have to fix up the interior a bit to make it believable.

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:12 pm

Solid Snake wrote:I just thought of something... If KITT was more or less deactivated and abadonned in the mythology of KR2008, this is the perfect car to use for it then... I mean imagine, they would need KITT for some reason and his shell was stored at some old beat up warehouse close to sea... this would be perfect for it! Salty air does get to a car after some years of non movement, after all... the Foundation was "dead" hence Charles resurecting it.

I was thinking more of using the KITT from the Gumball Rally? Or maybe just the same one they used in the 2 hour pilot, I mean they have to have had it stored somewhere?

Joe

JWise1203
Volunteer

Post by JWise1203 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:13 pm

1982 wrote:Bring Bonnie back to make KI2K Y2K compliant. :D

Hello Michael. What year is this? Is it really 1908?
LOL.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:30 pm

To be honest, I don't think it is a kitt car. It's def a trans-am but Universal probably have used quite a few of them in many movies in that time period.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

spyhunter
FLAG Recruit

Post by spyhunter » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:36 pm

I don't think it's this car, because the noses are different, I wonder where this one is:

SH

jaimetheking
Operative

Post by jaimetheking » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:04 pm

Does anyone know where the guy that voiced that display KI2T sat? I always wondered... :wink:

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:59 pm

Me too though I was quite disappointed when the guy sounded nothing like KITT/William Daniels. I always assumed that it was just a guy hiding in a building or structure close by with a walkie talkie or some other short range device.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

dag268
Rookie

Post by dag268 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:51 pm

There was a small shed close to the display. I assumed it was there. It is possible the car currently on the backlot and the display pic are the same. On both sets you can see the ground sffects of a later model Firebird/TA. The part between the fron tires and the bumper. :kitt:

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:32 pm

spyhunter wrote:I don't think it's this car, because the noses are different, I wonder where this one is:

SH
I wish I could see that car at universal stuidos...
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:49 pm

It didn't even have the right style seats. :lol:
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

MikeBKnight
Rookie

Post by MikeBKnight » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:30 pm

I was just going to point that out. The least Universal could do is display the Kitt with the correct PMD seats :)

HisNameisGarth
Operative

Post by HisNameisGarth » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:40 pm

MikeBKnight wrote:I was just going to point that out. The least Universal could do is display the Kitt with the correct PMD seats :)
The PMDs aren't exactly the most common seats out there. They are increasingly difficult to track down. Considering this car was built about a decade before eBay was invented -- I'd cut Universal a little slack.
There ain't no E in Garth, damn it.

knighthazzard
Recruit

Post by knighthazzard » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:45 pm

I read an article that stated that when designing some of the cars to be utilised in Season 4 of Knight Rider the Producers used Trans Ams with beige leather interior as opposed to the PMD cloth ones that we had become used to in the earlier seasons.

When carrying out camera work on the interior shots of the vehicles the interiors of the cars with PMD seats were used to stay congruent with the interior that the audience had become used to. I have not seen the KITT car at Universal Studios in person and have not seen the interior on the vehicle to see if it is a season four car. If this is indeed an original car from the series there is a strong possibility it is from Season 4.

Like yourselves I am a little curious as to what had happened to this vehicle. I am led to believe that a high no of series cars were written off in the last episodes of Knight Rider. However, there have been quite a few cars claiming to be the 'originals' surfacing on the net over recent months so maybe there are more around than I thought.

Apparently there is a collector in Essex, UK with the original convertable car from Season 4 in his showroom amongst some other collectable vehicles from TV shows.

We should start an original car thread on here and see how many original cars we can find. Is there an original KARR in existence or were the lights and decals resprayed and changed back into a KITT? Would be interesting to discover these details