KITT on Universal Backlot

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

neps
Site Administrator
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

KITT on Universal Backlot

Post by neps » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:47 pm

This was originally posted at the Knight Registries website by luizel:
http://www.knightregistries.com/forum/s ... php?t=5530

Check that out - he spotted a KITT from the escalator at Universal Studios! What keen eyes to find that! What I would do to be able to wander that backlot for a day

I just looked on maps.live.com - and it looks like this is your car:

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&F ... &encType=1

Also if you look over to the right - you'll see a star car graveyard. A Delorean, a Blues Brother Car, some Fast & the Furious

Another angle:
http://maps.live.com/#JnE9eXAudW5pdmVyc ... gwODU5Mzg=

Check out the thread at registries for more back story and other picture.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Re: KITT on Universal Backlot

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:27 am

To quote Dustin Hoffman from The Graduate, "Oh, Jesus, God, no!!!"
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

jaimetheking
Operative

Post by jaimetheking » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:57 am

So sad!

I've driven the lot on a golf cart, it's so much fun!
I was at universal today in the wardrobe department doing some runs, and you guys are gonna think I'm kidding but what do I see on A wardrobe rack as I enter? A rack with wardrobe labled: "Knight Rider - Scientists" I wanted to take a pic with my cell phone but the receptionist was right there, and I didn't want to cause any problems. I'm such a chicken!
But, yeah just thought I'd share that with you guys.

Btw, that KITT car has a no real gadgetry in it. I think it was used for display purposes cuz the inside does have the KITT shaped dash but no real buttons or monitors, just a fake mold of the real KITT dash.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:45 am

That is just the sadest thing i've ever seen.Our champion reduced to a pile of junklike that.Here I thought they were completely demolished.Parts of the car are gone.I heard that universal never took good care of their props but this is rediculous.

stevefawcett
Operative

Post by stevefawcett » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:34 am

I have a real nice contact at univesal ,i contacted 2 weeks ago ,that car has never been used as a kitt car

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:00 am

aled jones wrote:I have a real nice contact at univesal ,i contacted 2 weeks ago ,that car has never been used as a kitt car
Some observations which are certain: The Trans Am is an '82-'84 model with turbo cast rims. Those characteristics are consistent with both the Hero Car K.I.T.T.s as well as the stunt cars. Unfortunately it's impossible to tell if they're the 14" or 15" inch rims from the picture.

I can understand the missing license plate and would agree with the assessment that it was either removed or stolen over the years, but I do find it interesting that not only is there no spoiler, but there also doesn't appear to be any indentations for a spoiler (unless the picture quality is that bad).

My ultimate guess is that this was just one of the stunt cars and not one of the Hero Cars. Nevertheless, still disturbing!
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Rookie

Post by 1982 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:27 am

It is hard to tell what model it originally could be.

1. Trans Am hood along with an extra hood on the roof.

3. Can't tell if it has the vent in the fender for a TA.

2. The rims are 15" Turbocast. You can use the hub measurement as a reference. Divide the diameter by the hub measurement and multiply by 2.5. It comes out to the 16.25" for 15" rims. Used 82 - mid 83 TA & SE with WS6/WS7.

3. The tail lights look like those on the Firebird - clear square backup lenses, instead of the smoked lens found on the TA and SE.

4. No spoiler or sign of that there was one.

It could be a either a Firebird or Trans Am.

stevefawcett
Operative

Post by stevefawcett » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:51 am

the person that i speak with said athat there were 17 rotated kitt cars in the theme park and this particuar one was never a kitt car

there looks to been somthing screwed on the body after the tail lights ,not a blackout as the area would be too large

Making_Waves_of_my_Own
Recruit

Post by Making_Waves_of_my_Own » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:06 am

In this instance, I presume that the hood placed on the roof would have been used to prevent rainwater from entering the interior from the worn weatherstripping around the T-tops? Sad ... :(

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:16 am

My question about the 17 cars that they have on the backlot somewhere would be this - if that is true, why did they need to goto a replica builder for the back door pilot when they could have just used one of the 17 lying around?

I guess you could argue that the replica parts were in better shape, and they used a few of the 17 for the wide angle warehouse shot with the different TAs in it...

I'm not 100% sure it was a KITT from the Universal display either, but it's awfully convincing. I noticed the lack of spoiler too, but then figured it could have been taken off at some point, and the mounting points are just hard to see from this zoomed photo.

stevefawcett
Operative

Post by stevefawcett » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:42 am

she works at the theme park and whist kitt was an attaraction they had 17 cars she said ,she knows where this particuar car is and she has asked ,they said its never been a kitt

dag268
Rookie

Post by dag268 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:52 am

The question next would be of the 17 cars are there any left and if so where. I sat in the one in cali. in probably 90-91 and it was in pretty good shape.

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative

Post by Joe Huth » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:54 am

Here are some photos of the Universal tour car that I found a long time ago online (can't remember where) - it shows the car after it was removed from the display and as you can see, mother nature hasn't been kind. Take a look at the paint peel pattern on the rear bumper of the picture below and compare it to the spy shot that Neil posted above - the pattern looks to be a dead-on match. I think this is one and the same car:

Joe

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:09 pm

Oh wow Joe that was sadder than Junk Yard Dog.
-KITT? Can you hear me buddy?
-No answer.
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

dag268
Rookie

Post by dag268 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:12 pm

Yeah it is a match and you can see an old golf cart in the background. It is one of the later display cars, as you can see the groundeffects on the car. To think they gutted the dash. Its probably sitting on a shelf somewhere covered in dust. Its a real shame. wonder where else they have KITTs hidden.

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:19 pm

It even seems to have white paint under the black, just like KITT in Junk Yard Dog. Bonnie has some work to do.. ;)
edit: just noticed in Joe's photo the spoiler on the trunklid is still there but not anymore in the new pics, very sad that they're stripping KITT peace by peace during the years :( The tail lights seem to have the stubs in the lower edge for blackout panel, I wonder if anything is left in this KITT after few more years... :roll:
Last edited by KITTfan on Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:25 pm

That is sad... You'd think they'd at least keep one car in at least somewhat mint condition wouldn't you?
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Crumbling Down
FLAG Recruit

Post by Crumbling Down » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:32 pm

Why is the back window tinted? Kitt's was never blacked out unless he went under cover. I don't see how this could be a kitt if the rear window is tinted. Didn't they use cardboard to tint the windows for the series? There should be no reason for the rear window being tinted.
Booonnnnnzzzzaaaaaiii!!!!!!!! As michael turbo boosts to score the extra point. His face is so funny when he yells this and when he hits turbo boost his eyes get huge and he flies back into the seat

Crumbling Down
FLAG Recruit

Post by Crumbling Down » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:36 pm

what are those square pieces at the bottom of the tailights? Possibly a bracket to hold the black out lenses on?
Booonnnnnzzzzaaaaaiii!!!!!!!! As michael turbo boosts to score the extra point. His face is so funny when he yells this and when he hits turbo boost his eyes get huge and he flies back into the seat

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative

Post by Joe Huth » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:03 pm

The tour car used at Universal Studios had its rear window tinted.

Joe

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:28 pm

Crumbling Down wrote:what are those square pieces at the bottom of the tailights? Possibly a bracket to hold the black out lenses on?
Exactly!

Beautifully heartbreaking find Joe. Hopefully Steve's contact will have some better shots of other cars.

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:35 pm

Poor old Kitt! :cry:

luizel
Volunteer

Post by luizel » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:06 pm

wow i am speechless that my findings made it to such a prestigious website as KRO. Since i am an avid KR replica builder and spend most of my time in the KR replica forums i rely on them for most if not all info related to the KR universe. And after visiting KRO there is a whole new world of information on KR i never knew existed hence my KR finding. thank you for giving credit to my findings and see you in the boards !

luizel
:kitt2:

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:13 pm

NOOOO!Poor KITT... :cry: You deserve better than that!
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Victor Kros » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:20 pm

Welcome to the boards Luizel, I made sure you received your due credit from your post on The Registries over here.

=VK=
:dash: