I'm Listening

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

knight_neural_centre
Volunteer
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: I'm Listening

Post by knight_neural_centre » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:59 am

Can I ask something? I know this is for questions and suggestions about the HUD, but I just wondered, having seen the car in action yourself, both on the screen and in person (maybe?) the voice box "snowglobe" thing looks like it really doesn't fit in and seems a bit cheap and "stuck on". Does its appearance in the actual car (again, physially if you've seen it in person, but most importantly on screen) look better than in the photos we've seen? Even the original KITT's dash looked pretty bad and tacked together in set photos, but looked great on the TV screen, is this the same?
"Music hath the charm to soothe the savage breast."
Michael Knight.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:17 am

Unfortunately I doubt they'd use any story points here due to the potential legal trouble that could come about from that, though I'm sure no one here would complain. Also I know I tried to keep my post strictly on the HUD, hopefully I did that well enough since I know that you're one of the effects guys and don't have the final say. Now to get off topic! :D I hope everyone involved understands that whatever negative reactions there are that it's generally not personal, such as my own *****ing about some choices that have been made by the people in charge and obviously some design choices that have been made or snippets of story info we've seen so far and of course the commercial/corporate aspect, it's more of remaining concerned I think since none of us want a repeat of the horrors of KR2000 or TKR. If they want to know what NOT to do, I think those are two good examples.

IMO the backdoor pilot was a lot better than both of them it still wasn't there, at least the powers that be realize that. I still can't bring myself to like Harald Belker though from interviews he's conducted and many of the vehicles he's designed in the past that just don't impress me in the slightest, but he doesn't matter since he's not a staff member or anything.. We just want this to be successful as much as the people (including yourself) working do, actually probably more so with what's happened over the last 22 years with Knight Rider. In the end though, I think there would be a lot more trouble if there was no reaction at all, whether it be positive or negative, thankfully at least there's many things, especially the car and effects are open to improvement and change as time goes on after seeing what does, doesn't work and what needs improvement, it's one thing that should always be evolving, as long as the story aspect remains decent. Alright, I've rambled enough, I'll shut up now here about this. <_< >_>

Are the effects already final for the early episodes? Or is there still time with there being almost two months left until the premiere?
neps wrote:
PHOENIXZERO wrote::lol: That promo is awful, but I guess that's fitting.
this NBC trailer is a bit better - but you only get a glimpse at some of the screens at the end:

http://knightrideronline.com/krepis/kr2000.php
:lol: I probably saw that one back when KR2000 premiered, yeah it's better. Plus it gives the illusion that KR2000 is a lot better than what it turned out to be. Well, minus the tomato, just the shot at the end with the scanner showed how little sense it made to have a red car.. Was there a reason they didn't paint the car black? Were they being prevented from doing that or was it an actual choice? Whatever happened to that car anyway? I remember it showing up with CHiPS 2000 or whatever many years later to my amusement, but that's about it.

EDIT: Added a little and reworded a couple things.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

knightrider2929
Volunteer

Post by knightrider2929 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:41 am

Well, im a huge knightrider fan and imnot liking to the new voice module thing that looks like hal from 2001 a space oddessy it looks stupid go back to what they had in tv move, also the transformation into truck is absolutly stupid and the new supermode it too much they are trying way too hard too make kitt something he is not , they damn well better listen to fans and change things and they also better pay homage to devons character and have bonnie and aprils characters on the show too it just makes sense!! :kitt2: :kitt:

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:21 am

Someone didn't read before posting...

I've brought this up before in other topics and I just remembered it again. But is anyone here familiar with "Sega Hologram" arcade or the game(s) that were released? Only one I know of is Time Traveler and it came about about 17 years ago, I remember seeing it in a mall that I use to go to. It was pretty crude and everything but for the time it was pretty cool looking just due to the holographic illusion, even if the game blew and was severely limited as FMV based games are. If I had an argument for the HUD to be able to display full color, I'd use that as one example of what was being done almost 20 years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Traveler_(video_game)

Obviously the idea of how it's going to be used on the new show will be something more advanced than just a static image you can't interact with but that's no reason why it should be limited visually, it hasn't in other works of fiction. ;)
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

trissybabes
FLAG Recruit

Post by trissybabes » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:22 am

Hi Stephan - just wanted to say welcome along and that it's so cool that someone involved with the new series is looking in here and taking onboard suggestions from the fans!

I can't really add much more than that really, everything I've read ideas wise here is pretty much what I was thinking anyway.

Good luck with the project in general and I hope it continues to bring you many paychecks in the years to come! Are you involved in any other projects at the moment?

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:05 am

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=V3HGfIy_z ... item=14649

I wonder if the HUD will have some sort of functonality like this?

adamtrek
Recruit

Post by adamtrek » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:54 am

Stephan,

I think it's very trustworthy that you and others from Knight Rider's production are coming to Knight Rider Online to view what we fans have to say about what you are doing, regardless of the maturity level of some discussions. :mrgreen: You are opening yourself up to criticism of your work, which shows your humble attitude toward pleasing the fans, as well as creating a show that (hopefully) millions will watch on a weekly basis. Obviously you'll skim off the cream and throw out the sour milk, as it were, from what we have to add to the process.

My two cents would be for a Natural progression of the original KITT's "display" capabilities. (I can't assume that you are using the Knight 4000 from the tv movie "Knight Rider 2000" and using it as canon.)

I like simple visuals that help tell the story. If there is too much on the HUD, it focuses my attention on that and not the dialogue or the actors. I also like the idea of giving nods to the old show's way of visualizing KITT's technical features, such as the "checkerboard" wipe as was mentioned above, and the zoom function.

This is out of your work realm, I'm sure, but the sound effects also go along way in making us think what's happening visually is real. Some of the old show's computer sound effects would probably be considered "cartoony" now, and some were overused, but if this KITT is an advancement to the prior, I think in general the HUD "software" would be a natural progression. Even Windows XP resembles Windows 3.0 in some respects.

I hope you enjoy your job, Stephan, I know I would. You're like the Michael Okuda (Star Trek: Various Incarnations) of Knight Rider! :D
Watching KITT turbo boost since 1982.

FX23
Operative

Post by FX23 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:04 am

i can think of a good way of mike to interact with the windscreen at 300mph know what im saying? :wink:

z00story
Knight Rider 2008 Creative

Post by z00story » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:26 pm

Hey guys, I *think* I have a pretty cool idea for modernizing the "checkerboard" wipe idea. Perhaps using a taste of it here and there... so if i get it working the way I think, and the powers that be dig it, watch for it! No promises tho :)

I love these video examples! A lot of them are already in line with things we have done - yay!

As for posts about the "kitt ball," casting, and other things like that - again, feel free to vent and point things out, but I just can't help you there. I know there are opinionated people out there - but I would use this posting as a forum for what I can help with. Obscure examples of new technologies, details from the original series, references from other movies/shows, things like that really help me.

I'm thinking, perhaps, that once the show gets started, we should do a thread for each episode where you guys can give me critiques and and I can help evolve the thing in the future. Remember, I can only do so much, but references are great!

S.

PS - Things are ramping up here, I'm going to get very busy soon, so apologies if I can't post as much as I want to.

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:43 pm

I know you are involve 'specifically' with the HUD element of Ki3t's technology but are you also involved in everything that would be seen in 'green screen' shots in general through the front windshield?

In my head its the same ballpark from a show making POV, so what i was driving at is, are we going to see effects shots from driver POV of high speed chases/attack mode/pursuits etc....?

oh and are any other crew members going to make an appearance on KROnline....?

Kaine
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kaine » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:20 pm

Hi Stephan, welcome to the boards!

it is SO COOL that you are here and ask for our opinions and ideas, i/we very much appreciate it! and it's really good to hear, that people on the production are fans like us and really care for the show beyond the paycheck!

i just want to comment on the KITT ball: i really like the voice effect... but just like most people on this board i would prefer it to be a flat screen instead of this ball and i'd like it to be right over the steering wheel, in the exact same position the original KITT's voice modulator was...
for reference:

DeeKnight
Operative

Post by DeeKnight » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:30 pm

I think the HUD looked good,but i really think the dash needs to be jazzed up,like that one!^^ The interactive screen from the pilot was cool and should have been left in,even buttons on the roof would look good.

eighthgear
Stranger

Post by eighthgear » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:18 pm

neps wrote:Some questions that were raised in my mind.

How much of the screen is HUD? Is it always on or is it only on for the Attack mode? I can see it being kind of annoying if every time we saw out KITTs window, we never saw any action or driving - and just overloaded graphics. I would imagine as a driver (Michael) it would be distracting too.

So are we talking just Attack KITT here, or all versions of KITTs? I would imagine that the Normal mode of KITT wouldn't need to show anything at all - as long as the speed info is kept where it was in the pilot - and only expanded to the windshield in cases of looking up info. (ie not for distance or speed, but to review case files or surveillance)

Also going on what we saw in the movie in February, I'd look to be careful with the color palette. The reds used then felt right, but the greens felt off. I think it's just that greens on computers to me feel very 1980s Apple IIe, which while being a great machine, it's not something the car of the future needs to have. Plus since they're already using blues and reds in the car palette, the green seems a bit out of place.

I would say use blues and reds, but I'd imagine the blues are hard with skies in the background. In fact, how can you do any of what you are showing in the trailer, if it's not at night? That's my worry is that we'll only see the car at night and in shadows. How can the HUD function in bright daylight?

I do like the idea of removing the rearview mirror (the original KITT never had one) - and simply turning a portion of the window into the "mirror" as needed
hopefully it won't be as annoying as this:

z00story

Post by z00story » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:23 pm

LOL - I just got some great inspiration. I think I'll put in a Starbucks proximity alert widget! How America is that. :-P

As for other crew - I have no idea who else comes here or not, sorry!

As for the Ball and the dash - sorry guys, what can I tell yah, not my domain!

Speaking of widgets. Any specific things you guys have ideas for? Like, for example, there's a tachometer, speedometer, velocity, and shield assessment dial widget in the comic-con footage (it's small, but it's there, each one is highly detailed in fact). You're also seeing a 3D analysis frame - which is what shows the rendition of the missile deflecting the flares.

What sort of other widgets would you guys like to see be able to float around the HUD?

Kaine
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kaine » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:34 pm

hm, propably some status display... which mode KITT actually is in... like attack mode, pursuit mode, normal mode or auto cruise...

AzBat360
Recruit

Post by AzBat360 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:06 pm

I'd like to see some high-resolution(0.5-foot or better accuracy) aerial/satellite photos mapped over digital terrain modeling. Similar to what you see in Google Earth. If it was just Google Earth 3D stuff, that would be disappointing. KITT is a supercomputer, so I want to see something I can't get on my PC. Also think about the interfacing options you get with the Microsoft Surface technology. I know you got to look at it while in Redmond. ;) Also, wouldn't it be cool if KITT could emulate an Xbox 360? Love to see Michael playing Halo 3. LOL :)

AzBat360

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:23 pm

how about 'split screen' effects where the road ahead is visible but also close ups of the occupants of the target vehicle possibly even with targeting options, similar to what was seen in KR2000 which although not a great instalment of the franchise had some ideas...

again with the split screen theme... (from what we have heard so far Ki3t has only "turbo boosted" in attack mode but it may be possible in other modes) how about again, the road ahead, but then when turbo boost is suggested (using the GPS much lauded in the Feb08 show) how about a split view of the 'projected landing site...??'

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:52 pm

z00story wrote: I will also add that the team I am working with has been great. We check these forums often and we do what we can to make things fun.

That’s so cool! Thanks! Send our love to your team.
z00story wrote: We're all fans just as much as employees.
:D Good Knight! :D
Stephan
You’re a true fan I can tell. :mrgreen:
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

Stylez
FLAG Recruit

Post by Stylez » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:57 am

z00story wrote:I *think* I have a pretty cool idea for modernizing the "checkerboard" wipe idea. Perhaps using a taste of it here and there... so if i get it working the way I think, and the powers that be dig it, watch for it! No promises tho :)
I just think it's cool that you can be here and I'm sure whatever it is you have in mind will go over fine if you tell the powers that be it's a "tip of the hat" to the fans of the original! :wink:

Lameth1
Recruit

Post by Lameth1 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:07 pm

Can someone "stickie" this thread? I love the positive moral it brings having a person involved with the show knowingly coming here and checking in with us.

Great job!

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:22 pm

Starbucks widget will be hard to operate since Starbucks shut down or are about to shut down a LOT of their shops.

But that DID put a smile on my face. ;) I never went to Starbucks. I don't drink Coffee (or any caffinated drinks).

A bit of trivia, in Battlestar Galactica (another Glen Larson show), there was also a character named Starbuck (originally a guy).

So sticking a Starbucks widget on KITT would be an interesting 'nod' of sorts.

Stylez
FLAG Recruit

Post by Stylez » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:36 pm

FuzzieDice wrote:A bit of trivia, in Battlestar Galactica (another Glen Larson show), there was also a character named Starbuck (originally a guy).
If I remember correctly wasn't Starbuck played by the same actor who played Templeton "Faceman" Peck (Dirk Benedict) on The A-team?

Niggle Snoosh
Operative

Post by Niggle Snoosh » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:44 pm

Stylez wrote:
FuzzieDice wrote:A bit of trivia, in Battlestar Galactica (another Glen Larson show), there was also a character named Starbuck (originally a guy).
If I remember correctly wasn't Starbuck played by the same actor who played Templeton "Faceman" Peck (Dirk Benedict) on The A-team?
Indeed he was, in the credits (from season 2 onwards) there is a clip fro one of season 2's opening episodes where Face is on a Movie set to meet hannibal and he is passed by a cylon)

i love little nods that only fans can understand.
Michael: "Devon, someone tried to kill me last night!"
Devon: "I have an alibi"

z00story

Post by z00story » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:36 pm

I heard a rumor that there may be a connection of sorts from the modern BSG to KR2008 - but what do I know :)

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:43 pm

z00story wrote:I heard a rumor that there may be a connection of sorts from the modern BSG to KR2008 - but what do I know :)
That’s interesting. There are already a few connections, Glen Larson for one, and Paul Campbell the other. Also KITT’s scanner was taken from the idea of the Cylon’s eyes and some people have apparently gone back to calling it a cylon light, I kinda like to call it a scanner though since that’s what it’s called in TOS. But indeed, this is an interesting rumor you have started; I’m interested to hear the speculations. :D
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.