Comic Con: Panel Transcript

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

neps
Site Administrator
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Comic Con: Panel Transcript

Post by neps » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:31 pm

Here is a loose transcript of the entire panel. BTW - this was done for speed, not accuracy, so please ignore spelling or grammatical errors.
The Knight Rider panel started right on time, but without many of it's scheduled guests. It seems that a delay on the I5 caused many of the cast to be stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. Garry Scott Thomspon and Paul Campbell did very well at keeping us entertained. Gary then called to Deanna and Justin and talked with them at length. Deanna wished for KITT to Turbo Boost as she was stuck by a train. Justin then introduced the 2 Minute teaser of the series.

The first question the moderator asked about what Gary's vision of Knight Rider was, and what we saw in February. They said they realized that the man needs a team behind the one man making a difference, so they weren't just "stuck (with) a guy in a car". "It is 25 years later and audiences are a lot more sophisticated and are looking for something more than that"

When asked about the KITT cave, Thompson said "We call it the KITT cave, but it actually does have a name, it's the 'Satellite Surveillance Chamber' part of 'Knight Research and Development' which is an off shoot of 'Knight Industries'". It is where everything goes on and is a Mission Control with Sat feeds from across the globe, but can also access KITT. Within KITT there is the touch screen inside where they'll be able to communicate back and forth with the "KITTCave" but they will also be able to (with Paul's character) is deal with the computer in a 3D world and pull something out and into the world and watch it spin around.

Paul Campbell plays "Billy Morgan" who controls everything computer and is the goto guy for chemistry, biology and "any ology" He is there to help provide the comic relief and will be the bunt of many jokes.

Yancey plays "Alex Torres" who is the "uber" boss of the team, deciding the team, the missions, who goes out and with whom. But it seems that there will be an ulterior motive to him that we don't know about.

Smith Cho plays a counter point to Alex, and is a linguist and a tech. In the first episode alone she speaks four languages and communicates with other Governments as needed. She constantly drives Billy nuts.

Bruce Davison continues the role of "Charles Gramin" and likes to say how when growing up he used to watch Flash Gordon and watching it when he got older it wasn't quite what he remembered. While everyone loved the original, they all hope that we give them a chance to prove their version of the new Knight Rider.

The thing Gary liked about the original was how Michael Long was shot in the face and could not go back. They've created a mythology around the character of Mike that during the Iraq war in black ops, and what happens if that it follows him home. Does it put the car, the team and him at jeopardy and if it does, what happens to Mike Tracer? In the first episode we will find out this and see the rebirth of Michael Knight.

It talked about how the writers and set designers went to the secret labs at Microsoft and saw what is down the line in 10 years. They pieced together what they saw and it greatly influenced them. One of the interesting things they find is how KITT will evolve and learn and why that is.

Finally Justin and Deanna were able to make it to the con. Justin talked about how his character has grown since the pilot, how he has rounded and made more mythology for the new fans as well as the old one. There is also the chance of romance between Mike and Sarah. Both Deanna and Justin have done Fight school, weapons training, driving training, swat training, and surf lessons.

Sarah's character too has drastically evolved since the Pilot. She is on sabbatical from Stanford and is now beating up bad guys. Deanna joked that the stunt coordinator jokes that he calls her Annie Oakley, cause she has pretty good aim.

They talked about the monster set, with a gimbal, lasers, nano technologies and massive screens. (Just then Bruce Davison Arrives) It took some time to refine the cars and find the designer for the Attack vehicle. When asked about Val Kilmer, Gary talked about what a talent Val Kilmer was, and that his voice will continue to grow and tweak from week to week as intended as the character grows.

When asked about the military in the story line, they say by episode 13, you will start to understand what is "going on" between KITT and michael ("not a sexual thing"). (Then Smith Cho and Yancey Arias arrive)

Merchandising was brought up, and how they hope to take the "Normal" KITT and have it transform into the "Attack KITT". They also hope to build a "KITT Cave" toy, as many cast and crew on set have remarked how it feels like they are inside a Hot Wheels toy. Paul Campbell likes to raise his arms and run into the gimbal and go "VVVROOOOM". Unfortunately this has no concrete information, until the series does well and management decides that it is something they want to do. But they have the likeness rights for all Cast, so it is possible.

When asked about toy wishes, Gary Scott Thompson wants a talking lunch box, Justin would like a PlayStation game, Deana joked about a lunch box that transforms into KITT. Paul hopes his figure has a Kung-Fu grip (which Deanna claims he stole that idea from him). Bruce Davison hopes that his action figure has legs, because supposedly his X-Men figure did not and you had to sit him into a cup.

David Hasselhoff was of course asked about. Justin spoke very favorably and humbled by acting with Hasselhoff. Deanna said how he likes to bust out in song between takes. When talking about a repeat performance, Thompson spoke about how he had an hour breakfast that turned into four hours. He's is super busy with other plans, and talked about other ideas they may work on. They we've already written eight scripts without his character returning (they've only got approval for 13 episodes, with it planned out how it will go to 24 or two seasons.) They want to be sure to use him in a way that is story driven for a two parter or a large one parter. They both agreed the only reason to bring him back is for something speicifc and to extend the new mythology. There is a possibility, depending on schedules.

Questions then proceeded to ask them about the original KITT. Thompson said that "you're probably probing my mind right now, cause thats sorta what if we are going to do it I see no reason we can't see the two KITTs side by side."

Yancey Arias talks about his character being a very smart West Point graduate, very good with, and came in contact with Charles Gramin four years back (which he made up that was inspired by the writing). He runs the team and shows how much urgency in showing that the country and national security is safe. KITT is too integral and respects that it shouldn't be taken lightly. It seems that he will yell at Michael often that he is not handling KITT enough. Makes sure KITT is enhanced and improved constantly for the good of the country and the team.

When asked about tubro boost - Thompson said it will be "Awesome". Specifically the car will jump which was met with a round of applause. "You're going to go, 'quit making the car jump, enough already!'" It will be their version of the turbo boost, and bear with them and they will show us what they can do with great stunts and great technology. "It's going to be different then the originally." They are trying to envelop what has come before, in TV, movies and video games and make it into one thing. They want to make it really cool and really awesome and be a kick butt ride. They want it to be fast, fun and entertainment. Justin added that he goes every week to the writer and say how amazing the script is, because they just keep getting better. They have the ability to upgrade it and bring the tools they need to accomplish the mission. It is also not unheard of, Thompson added, that there might be some version of a "Dark Knight Rider" - Thompsons said "Something like KARR? Hmm, well what do you think? That will be a yes. There will be some version of that that will go through our mythology"

Thompson said he rewatched the series to relearn all the mythology about Michael and KITT to learn that mythology. In the clps we saw, we see Mike Tracer say he's Michael Knight, so we will go back to the roots and the origin of the show. It's twenty five years later, and the Knight Foundation is now not just that it's Knight Industries and we're in the Research Department, but there is a whole mythology that takes this and what its come into from the past.

The Moderator asked of Thompson if he had been to Knight Rider Online to listen to what the fans had to say. Thompson admitted that he went online to the forums, the press to learn what they liked and didn't like or what they missed. "Turbo Boost was the big one, you should know, and I think you do." But they argue that everyone has a vision of what Knight Rider was to them, and also take into consideration that they want to get the new fans involved as well, and it's very difficult, and they will try to get it right. We just need to give them the time they deserve.

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Re: Comic Con: Panel Transcript

Post by weeezl » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:48 pm

All I can say is WOW!, you guys are pulling out all the stops to make sure we are all informed here. Its 8 hours ahead in UK and Ive sat up late tonight waiting for this!!, its all good and almost as good as being there!, dont work too hard and make sure you get some beers in :D Cheers!

djshag69
Operative

Post by djshag69 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:14 pm

*slaps myself* i think i just read the possibility of kitt (orginal) returning in this new series perhaps to be side by side with ki3t
Ice rider coming 2009

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:17 pm

Great job on the interview! Great new info too! I'm getting more and more excited about the show. Reminds me, I have to order an amplified DTV antenna as the tuner keeps cutting out with the cheap antenna I have now. And I don't want to miss a moment of Knight Rider!

Will
Rookie

Post by Will » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:43 pm

*Le Gaspeth* KARR?

Well technically he didn't really die in KITT VS. KARR his lights were still blinking :D Hurray for KARR *Noms on him.*

I wonder if they'll get the original back to play him. I know Peter Cullen is still running around. He's playing Optimus Prime in the upcoming transformers 2 movie or something.

It'll be so cool to see KITT and KITT 2 together. Its like a father son thing. :D
If at first you don't succeed...cheat, repeat, until caught...

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:49 pm

It's good to read that and I think I can understand having a bigger cast than just four regulars (Devon, Bonnie/April, Michael and KITT) since things probably should be more complicated. I dunno if I could buy a single character doing all the maintenance on a new KITT either since almost everything about the car should be more complex. Not as if Bonnie did all the work herself either, at least aside from the third season premiere, so I'm fine with a bigger cast as long as they don't lose focus on who the main, core three or four characters should be. Hopefully they explain some of the changes from how things were done 20 years ago to today with the Foundation.

The interior of the car though is still gonna nag at me as well as the apparent new version of the "Attack" mode... I also hope they stay far, far away from politics, especially with Mike's military past. Corrupt politicians? I'm fine with that as long as they're not party defined caricatures.. Hopefully the snippets that have come out with that one script was just a early draft and not a reflection of the final product of that episode because it seemed pretty rough.

Oh and I hope NBC doesn't pull the plug before getting a real chance, a half a season isn't enough to really find an audience (outside the core fanbase) and networks are usually in way too much of a hurry to pull the plug on things. If their serious about making it a hit I think a full season would be good, as well as a second while syndicating the hell out of the first half of the season on NBC/Universal and their networks, as well as online after their initial airing, but not at the same week they air on NBC. Then again, if they take it all into account and its positive for the show then maybe it would be good to do. If it isn't doing well after two seasons then it's probably time to hang it up, hopefully with closure and no damn cliffhangers. >_<

Knight Rider, like Superman shouldn't be a hard show to write or figure out as long as you got a good grasp on what works and what makes characters tick. I'm not going to let myself get hyped because most of the time that just leads to disappointment (The Dark Knight being an exception, heh), so aside from what I said above, if I get too negative, that's why. I think that the lower the expectations the better chance is of being surprised and liking the result..
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

DrWho2005
Operative

Post by DrWho2005 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:13 am

this line made me light up like a kid again
' I see no reason we can't see the two KITTs side by side."

You think the wait for the season opener is hard..wait until they announce this team up...

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:45 am

Well done guys on all the interviews and trans-scripts.....can't wait for the unveiling of the attack mode.

Man, I'm so conflicted. On one hand, these interviews bode well for the series but on the other, I can't get my head arround that turd of a 70's vehicle they are calling attack mode KITT!!!!!!

Sarfraz

PS: I want a lunch box that transforms into KITT :lol:
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

trissybabes
FLAG Recruit

Post by trissybabes » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:53 am

Fantastic stuff - some real interesting info there.

Makes me feel confident that the whole thing is in safe hands and going the right way...

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:58 am

Just to clarify: Gary Scott Thompson did NOT say that KARR would make an appearance in the new show. What he said was that they would do a story that would be similar to KARR. This might be an evil twin Mustang, or some other evil vehicle, or who knows what else.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:38 am

I am very happy with what Gary is deciding to do, I am glad they will respect the original mythology and bring it forth to create the new Knight Rider.

I love the fact that DH is seriously going to be taken into consideration to come back and of course my favorite quote from GST "Questions then proceeded to ask them about the original KITT. Thompson said that "you're probably probing my mind right now, cause thats sorta what if we are going to do it I see no reason we can't see the two KITTs side by side.""

I love the fact he is still considering the old KITT and hopefully they let him pop up here and there.
Now I have a question, what does probing my mind mean exactly, maybe Neil or Mike can answer this lol!

Joe

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:07 am

*Bring KARR Back! Bring KARR Back!* :twisted:

You know I'll always say that. :lol:

:karr:

gotigers1
Rookie

Post by gotigers1 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:28 pm

Wouldn't be something that if KARR did come back, that this would be a great episode to have KI2K and the Hoff to return to help with getting him shut off for good?

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:16 pm

That would be a great second season premier maybe! But I'd rather KARR turn into a good guy eventually. Who knows? I mean I always liked KARR, but not him getting destroyed. :(

Maybe they should leave it open again in case he could come back? That's what I liked - that he never really "died" fully in either episode.

Lameth1
Recruit

Post by Lameth1 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:25 pm

Watch out, KARR could come back as he new Camaro, since the would be a bad guy, he could be a "non-FORD"

buwahaha, that would be awesome and make me cry at the same time.

Niggle Snoosh
Operative

Post by Niggle Snoosh » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm

FuzzieDice wrote:That would be a great second season premier maybe! But I'd rather KARR turn into a good guy eventually. Who knows? I mean I always liked KARR, but not him getting destroyed. :(

Maybe they should leave it open again in case he could come back? That's what I liked - that he never really "died" fully in either episode.

I understand what your saying with him turning good eventually although at the same time it's probably best for that not to happen, on because KARR/New evil Mustang would surely have to be reprogrammed for that to happen and therefore essentially not the same personality.
The again you could argue that KI3T and KARR 2.0's AI to programmed to evolve and adapt so he could develop emotions or some sort of conscience over his actions. However if that were to happen we have to take account of his evil deeds and any lives he may have taken.

Plus there is always the fact that a good villian is still somehow likeable even their deeds are despicable
Michael: "Devon, someone tried to kill me last night!"
Devon: "I have an alibi"

Niggle Snoosh
Operative

Post by Niggle Snoosh » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:30 pm

Lameth1 wrote:Watch out, KARR could come back as he new Camaro, since the would be a bad guy, he could be a "non-FORD"

buwahaha, that would be awesome and make me cry at the same time.
interesting :) I like it,

Does Ford have a special rivalry other than basic competition with a particular car company.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:42 pm

I think that 'rivalry' exists mainly between owners of particular brands, though. But of course the thing with Will Arnett but that was more about contract than I think it was rivalry. I could be wrong though.

I like GM, and had a Pontiac I really loved. Thing is now days their latest offerings since the 80s and early 90s aren't anything I'm too crazy about (save for the Firebird line they stopped). I never hated Ford though. Especially since my dad's Mercury Zephyr was another well-loved car. And now that I own a Ford, I'm VERY happy with that Taurus! :)

The only GM I never was crazy about was Chevy, having owned two of them (and almost a third as I was looking for a Celebrity and glad I ended up with a Pontiac 6000 at the time instead).

But overall, I like either brand.

gotigers1
Rookie

Post by gotigers1 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:55 pm

If KARR were to come back, he would need to be the Trans-Am verison. The show could start with some droping off an old faded Trans-Am to the salvage yard and a Teen that working there during the summer takes it and fixes up... And the way we go!

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:35 pm

I say they could have had KARR's CPU locked away in Knight Industries, something Charles has been trying to "fix" but couldn't. Then one night there's a break in and it gets stolen, which eventually leads to KARR's return in a new vehicle.

I'd still leave him technologically inferior to the new KITT just because I'd like to see KARR's reaction to basically being very obsolete..
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Niggle Snoosh
Operative

Post by Niggle Snoosh » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:47 pm

PHOENIXZERO wrote: I'd still leave him technologically inferior to the new KITT just because I'd like to see KARR's reaction to basically being very obsolete..
That would be funny :)

Judd
Operative

Post by Judd » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:20 am

gotigers1 wrote:If KARR were to come back, he would need to be the Trans-Am verison. The show could start with some droping off an old faded Trans-Am to the salvage yard and a Teen that working there during the summer takes it and fixes up... And the way we go!

That sounds like Wonderbug. :D

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:34 pm

Some questions i thought of after the panel- (yes, i was there, way in the back- i saw mike and neil handing out buttons);
1)Have any of the actors met Val Kilmer yet?
2) i know they went around the room, asking actors about their dream car or whatever- i would've liked to hear from Bruce Davison and the newer cast members on their memories of "Knight Rider", if any, since we've heard from Justin, Deanna and Sydney about their memories of the show.
3) Speaking of sydney and the newer actors, I got the impression that Yancy Arias' character is going to be the government liason for the team- i thought that was Sydney's role in the show- it sort of seems redundant to have two characters like that in the series, so I'm wondering what changes might be made to sydney's character, apart from the romantic aspects, to make her stand out more.
Mike and Neil- I went by the outdoor event after the actors left, and I only saw them handing out knight Rider bumper stickers. I'm a little disappointed; Did they have anything else to promote the show? Sorry i missed you all.
KITT: I walked right into that one, didn't I?
Michael: More like Turbo Boosted.

Niggle Snoosh
Operative

Post by Niggle Snoosh » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:55 pm

KRAvengerII wrote:Some questions i thought of after the panel- (yes, i was there, way in the back- i saw mike and neil handing out buttons);
1)Have any of the actors met Val Kilmer yet?
2) i know they went around the room, asking actors about their dream car or whatever- i would've liked to hear from Bruce Davison and the newer cast members on their memories of "Knight Rider", if any, since we've heard from Justin, Deanna and Sydney about their memories of the show.
3) Speaking of sydney and the newer actors, I got the impression that Yancy Arias' character is going to be the government liason for the team- i thought that was Sydney's role in the show- it sort of seems redundant to have two characters like that in the series, so I'm wondering what changes might be made to sydney's character, apart from the romantic aspects, to make her stand out more.
Mike and Neil- I went by the outdoor event after the actors left, and I only saw them handing out knight Rider bumper stickers. I'm a little disappointed; Did they have anything else to promote the show? Sorry i missed you all.
3) It looks as though Yancy Arias's character will pobably have distinct ties to the military and we have been told his motives are unclear. I guess Sydneys role could be to help in the field although if so i'd imagine that wouldn't be partnered with Mike and KI3T but instead helping to investigate two locations at once. Also as an FBI agent i'm sure she can help alot with intel.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:08 pm

KRAvengerII wrote:Mike and Neil- I went by the outdoor event after the actors left, and I only saw them handing out knight Rider bumper stickers. I'm a little disappointed; Did they have anything else to promote the show? Sorry i missed you all.
Sorry I didn't get to meet you in person KRAvengerII, I had a shirt I would have given you as well! All NBC gave out officially was four different sayings on bumper stickers. And they tossed out a hat/shirt at the unveiling on Friday.