Check out the KITT Cave! (and some b-roll dialog)

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

neps
Site Administrator
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Check out the KITT Cave! (and some b-roll dialog)

Post by neps » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:43 am

Check out this video we just got our hands on!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PJYtCxkSl8

Kaine
FLAG Recruit

Re: Check out the KITT Cave! (and some b-roll dialog)

Post by Kaine » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:41 am

great!!!!
i love the fact that they're having an actual scanner for KITT now and don't use CGI to do it!

though when i first saw the 'hangar doors' i was immediately reminded of TKR/Power Ranger.
hope it won't look that cheap on camera!

great clip though, thanks alot, neil!

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:15 am

Yay for the working scanner! The uhh, "bed" (I know there's a proper name for that but I'm too damn tired right now) of KITT's was rather interesting too. Now if only the car didn't look so boring, specifically the interior....
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Garthe Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Garthe Knight » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:19 am

Well, during the whole scene, when KITT was on that... whatever it's called, I waited for some commentary of jokes by KITT. It was like I didn't realize that it was just a simple car, so in this point they got me.
Even if the Mustang is not the perfect car, and the voice modulator could still be a little better, I fully accept that this car can talk and do all the stuff. I didn't have this when I first saw the car on the presentation before february.
And this is part of the Knight Rider spirit, isn't it?
So what the heck, I like it. And the KITT cave is cool.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:40 am

Looks a bit sucky. Is there any need for the car to roll upside down? And yeah, it looks cheap but then so did that other Sneak Preview.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Niggle Snoosh
Operative

Post by Niggle Snoosh » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:53 am

Skav wrote:Looks a bit sucky. Is there any need for the car to roll upside down? And yeah, it looks cheap but then so did that other Sneak Preview.
I like the car being able to roll upside down, surely the reason behind it is to make perform maintenance and repairs with far more control
Michael: "Devon, someone tried to kill me last night!"
Devon: "I have an alibi"

Mango19
Rookie

Post by Mango19 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:56 am

Very cool. I like the fact that we're getting a sense of just how big and operation FLAG is. Kind of reminds me of Man From Uncle.

djshag69
Operative

Post by djshag69 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:23 am

from the 2 previews we have seen so far it really reminds me of of the tv show viper. the cave, a team working together, morphing.
Ice rider coming 2009

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:59 am

is that the KITT cave or are they filming a crash scene of some sort to be CGI'd and cropped in? Or an interior shot >>

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:19 am

djshag69 wrote:from the 2 previews we have seen so far it really reminds me of of the tv show viper. the cave, a team working together, morphing.
I agree. The rotating platform also reminds me of what N.A.S.A. uses for anti-gravity training for their astronauts. This feels much more like a cross between Viper and The Fast and the Furious to me sprinkled with a little bit of Knight Rider on top.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

djshag69
Operative

Post by djshag69 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:38 am

hey lost night i think you forgot one ingeredient, transformers?
Ice rider coming 2009

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:52 am

Lost Knight wrote:
djshag69 wrote:from the 2 previews we have seen so far it really reminds me of of the tv show viper. the cave, a team working together, morphing.
I agree. The rotating platform also reminds me of what N.A.S.A. uses for anti-gravity training for their astronauts. This feels much more like a cross between Viper and The Fast and the Furious to me sprinkled with a little bit of Knight Rider on top.
And why shouldnt Knight Rider 2008 have the look of contemporary films/TV shows? The original did.

Knight Rider TOS was competing withe Dukes of Hazzard initially but also reflected films of the era such as Smokey and the Bandit and also the Star wars trilogy (Darth Vader is even name checked in KOTP)

Times are different now, the films now that the KR08 audience have watched ARE F&F and Transformers and they have seen the Viper TV show, so why wouldnt the new series reflect that..???

The new show IS 25 years on and should reflect the changes in viewing habits (which, as was said in an interview recently, also encompasses the XBOX or PS3 etc...) attentions spans are shorter, expectations are higher.

I am one of the original fans and would love to bring back the original but put it into context, the original KITT boasted (cant remember the episode) of having a "500mb Memory" to which a kid of today would laugh saying "I have more than that in my iPod..."

I think the show is lucky to have Gary Scott Thomas at the helm as he was responsible for one this generations movie influences and that, hopefully, bodes well for the TV series... I cant wait... :D
Last edited by pheonix_knight on Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:53 am

djshag69 wrote:hey lost night i think you forgot one ingeredient, transformers?
That's true. I couldn't help but notice that the morphing changed from organic in the backdoor pilot (making sense with the nanobots) to mechanical, which makes no sense if the car is covered with nanobots. It does make the Lamborghini doors make more sense, though. I hope they take the time to explain this so that it makes sense.

Viper's morphing went through the same transition. When its first season was on NBC, the morphing was more organic/nanobot-like. After NBC canceled it after the first season and it was resurrected on the UPN network, one of the many changes to the show was the morphing, which then became mechanical with flipping parts.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:04 pm

pheonix_knight wrote:And why shouldnt Knight Rider 2008 have the look of contemporary films/TV shows? The original did.
pheonix_knight wrote:Times are different now, the films now that the KR08 audience have watched ARE F&F and Transformers and they have seen the Viper TV show, so why wouldnt the new series reflect that..???
Good points, but I suppose part of the problem is that I would like the series to set trends, not follow them. A lot of the appeal of K.I.T.T. to me was that he was unique in the sense that he wasn't a hot rod. Now it seems that since hot rods/"rice rockets" are in because of their affordability to the younger generation, the series is capitalizing on that. But I do think it's premature to fairly judge the series before even a single episode has aired.

knightofthephoenix
Operative

Post by knightofthephoenix » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:08 pm

KITT cave? A team of people? Morphing into other Ford vehicles? Hot Rods?

It looks more like a new version of Team Knight Rider.

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:08 pm

Lost Knight wrote:
pheonix_knight wrote:And why shouldnt Knight Rider 2008 have the look of contemporary films/TV shows? The original did.
pheonix_knight wrote:Times are different now, the films now that the KR08 audience have watched ARE F&F and Transformers and they have seen the Viper TV show, so why wouldnt the new series reflect that..???
Good points, but I suppose part of the problem is that I would like the series to set trends, not follow them. A lot of the appeal of K.I.T.T. to me was that he was unique in the sense that he wasn't a hot rod. Now it seems that since hot rods/"rice rockets" are in because of their affordability to the younger generation, the series is capitalizing on that. But I do think it's premature to fairly judge the series before even a single episode has aired.
Sadly by its nature KR08, although they claim its a "continuation" is actually lazy creativity and fundamentally derivative so it can't set trends.

Having said that, it will (now) be the only current TV show with a "turbo boost" in it...

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:44 pm

I think Suse's mechanic would LOVE a rotating alcove (and notice that underneath it seems to be a place for mechanics to work as well, like the wells you see in oil change places?) Would make working on the underside FAR safer. If I had something like that I'd be giving Suse a serious undercoating rustproofing! Maintenance would be a breeze!

Just anchor down the fuzzy dice when you tip the car or you'll be sitting on them when you get it. :lol:

trooper TK-WHA??
Rookie

Post by trooper TK-WHA?? » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:01 am

Hey all,
From the moment I heard the name,all I could think of was:"Quick,Sarah!To the KITT Cave!"(spinning cobra or Knight emblem,cue Neal Hefti theme).I do agree it is a reflection of what the younglings are accustomed to(F&F,pimp my ride,transformers,etc.).I just hope the series overall doesn't get overly flashy with this stuff.But then again,to quote the late,great Burgess Meredith:"You can wish in one hand,and crap in the other,and see what comes first."
If only I had a nickel for every time someone cut me off on the parkway and wished for a Turbo-Boost or Micro-jammer...

nextelbuddy
Recruit

Post by nextelbuddy » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:10 am

whats up with KITTS voice? that was not vali kimers voice at the end.

krfan1
FLAG Recruit

Post by krfan1 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:00 pm

nextelbuddy wrote:whats up with KITTS voice? that was not vali kimers voice at the end.
They will add in Val Kilmer's voice in post-production. They also did it this way in the original series.

--krfan1