KITT at Universal Studios

Archive for discussions from 2002. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Leanne
Volunteer
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Leanne » Fri Oct 11, 2002 4:56 pm

Okay, so I was diggin' around last night through the old photo albums, and found pictures of KITT that my mom took when she visited Universal Studios in 1989. I doubt they probably have the car on display, but does anyone know where it is? Is there somewhere you can go to actually see one of the souped-up models from the show? Or are we to assume they're all hidden away in some old props department in tinsel town? It's a stretch, I know...but I thought I'd ask and see if anyone knew.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Fri Oct 11, 2002 8:18 pm

Last we heard, that car was sitting on the backlot of Universal Studios, in pretty bad shape.

knightimmortal

knightrider_ni
Operative

Post by knightrider_ni » Sat Oct 12, 2002 7:27 am

mark at http://www.markscustomkits.com (love that site! lol!) bought one i believe, and somewhere on his site there's all the info on how he brought the car up to power again.

Leanne
Volunteer

Post by Leanne » Sat Oct 12, 2002 9:17 am

WOW! [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img] Thanks for the link.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Sat Oct 12, 2002 2:21 pm

I've seen the car in Universal. It is indeed in a bad shape. The door handle was hanging off and the scanner was all dented in. The windows were tinted so you couldn't see inside.

But it was a great and feel good experience to finally meet KITT. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

He looks quite different to what you see in the show, believe me. I do have pix of the car that was taken by my mum but I ain't got my scanner up and running yet.

Skav

Mike Knight
Rookie

Post by Mike Knight » Sat Oct 12, 2002 5:54 pm

I went (I believe) the last year that he sat on his little display over the water. There was a sign in the back, that said: "Universal Studios is proud to present K.I.T.T. from the hit TV series Knight Rider."

Unfortunatly, I was too dumb to bring a camera then. Rats! Anyway, his Door was rigged open, and I got to sit in his cockpit. Clips from KR were playing on the moniters, and, from what I remember, this one was done up pretty authentically. Not as nice as people's other custom KITT's, but better then the one Mark over at Mark's Custom Kits restored.

Heh, I kept on trying to press Turbo Boost, but the button wouldn't budge. I remember saying: "C'Mon, KITT! Let's go pal!" The attendand working with KITT, to keep the line going, said: "Boy, you are a fan, arn't you?" She commented to my Grandma that I was very cute. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] I was only like..... 8, or so. It was a great experiance, since I had just discovered KR a year before.

It was funny, as soon as I entered the park, I suppose we were near KITT, because I heard his scanner sweeping, very loud! I thought that I was hearing things, when, all of a sudden, later in the day, we turned the corner and saw KITT! I just about fainted!

I went to Universal Hollywood a month ago, just for BTTF, the only good thing left at USH, since KITT was destroyed, or something.
You know where KITT sat, on that little pond of water, on his own platform? Well the Nickelodeon Blast Zone sits over where it was! Grrrrrr!

I still haven't managed to spot KITT on the backlot, or out for display. Personally, I think that this time KITT was destroyed, but FLAG would not put him back together again...

But he'll probably come back when the KR movie starts heating up, so keep you USH visiting scanners peeled!

Leanne
Volunteer

Post by Leanne » Sun Oct 13, 2002 12:52 am

Ahh...those are the pics that I have too (over the water). Man, I wish he was still there today because that's where I'd be going. I'd really love to see KITT. What a shame. I guess you're one of the lucky ones! [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

JustinMacri
Rookie

Post by JustinMacri » Sun Oct 13, 2002 1:37 am

Those were the days,

I remeber that well. I was 5 years old. And i was wearing my racing suit and my red hat. And i go in the Driver seat and KITT talks and well he called my dad pops.boy i am so sorry they do not have KIT anymore. I wish we can see him again. Is there any one in the Rockland County airea that is a KR fan that is buldding there own KITT lets be friends.

LoneKnight
Rookie

Post by LoneKnight » Tue Oct 15, 2002 12:50 am

Dudes, I got mad pics of KITT over the water. 1st year I saw him, we took a ton o' pics of him over the water. The last time I saw him, we got interior shots.
Sadly, I combed the entire park this summer looking for that black Trans-Am, and all I found was the DeLorean from BTTF, the cars from The Fast and The Furious, some stupid car from Blues Brothers, A Toyota MR2 Spyder with a custome Spiderman paint job, the Ford Explorer from Jurassic Park....
All these cars....where's the one that matters?! [img]images/smiles/icon_mad.gif[/img]
Anyway, if you want to see pics, give me awhile and I'll have them up. Let me know: <A HREF="mailto:Neo776@yahoo.com">Neo776@yahoo.com</A>

Newcastle knight
Operative

Post by Newcastle knight » Tue Oct 15, 2002 1:38 pm

yeah, the original dashes were nothing to shout about apart from the stage dash and the one in the hero car.

it had coloured paper in some indicators and stuff, lol.

from what i hear Marks products are top notch, and they look it aswell. Its just his electronics that i dont like. id much prefer a dash from Don Colie or KOE becuase the electronics are very true to the original.

scott

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Tue Oct 15, 2002 3:48 pm

Yeah, I don't like Mark's electronic's either. I don't think they look true to the original. Even the voice mod looks different.

But, apart from the electronics, the car is very good...especially the exterior.

Skav

knightrider_ni
Operative

Post by knightrider_ni » Wed Oct 16, 2002 12:53 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Knight:
<STRONG>Unfortunatly, I was too dumb to bring a camera then. Rats! Anyway, his Door was rigged open, and I got to sit in his cockpit. Clips from KR were playing on the moniters, and, from what I remember, this one was done up pretty authentically. Not as nice as people's other custom KITT's, but better then the one Mark over at Mark's Custom Kits restored.
!</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

obviously having the original car would be an experience and a half! but i think mark does a terrific job, and his cars are stunningly made! from what i've read, the original car's electronics were pretty awful behind the dash, and in general i think mark's site is definitely where i'll be shopping [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] and he restoration job was a lot better than you make out i feel, i feel it was spot on, plus the improvements "behind the scenes" as it were.

and mr.maverick, what a silly question [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] hehe - *ofcourse* we're interested! lol!

knightrider_ni
Operative

Post by knightrider_ni » Wed Oct 16, 2002 11:57 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Newcastle knight:
<STRONG>yeah, the original dashes were nothing to shout about apart from the stage dash and the one in the hero car.

it had coloured paper in some indicators and stuff, lol.

from what i hear Marks products are top notch, and they look it aswell. Its just his electronics that i dont like. id much prefer a dash from Don Colie or KOE becuase the electronics are very true to the original.

scott</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

do you have the site address of Don Colie? never hearda this guy, and i'll have to check out KOE, didn't think they were a conversion company - don't know why i didn't!! lol. i like mark's interiors, very slick, refined and "new looking" i thought and very true to the originals i.m.o., and do the other conversion companies give you the chance to add your own operations to the buttons (eg.dvd player, multichanger, gamecube etc but to the original KITT buttons) like mark's? 'cause i'd be very interested in seeing if they do as that's v.important to me when choosing where to shop.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Oct 16, 2002 2:35 pm

Seems like greek to me, but the guys over at KRegistries probably know exactly what that means. Don Colie is one of their better known conversionists and conversion part makers over there, and if I remember correctly just took Best of Show at the most recent Knight Nationals gathering. (Ok, so I admit, I have been lurking over at their board.)

knightimmortal

[ October 16, 2002: Message edited by: knightimmortal ]

knightrider_ni
Operative

Post by knightrider_ni » Thu Oct 17, 2002 12:10 am

k, i have just visited the KOE site quickly here and haven't been able to get a full hunt through it but i did visit every page. is it just me or does the dash and all the interiors look a bit slapdash - no pun intended (i mean in particular the button panel by the gear stick, the buttons seem "wonky"? and why can't we see what the front dash looks like when it's finished and in the car? all i can find are images of unfinished dashes and the dash in the actual tv show itself. i would be very interested in seeing these finished.

and can someone tell me what exactly this means? lol: "The dash has only one flange line which has to be taken down to finish the dash. If you are going to want your dash smooth as per the TV car then you will have to wet flat the texture down."

[ October 16, 2002: Message edited by: knightrider_ni ]

knightrider_ni
Operative

Post by knightrider_ni » Fri Oct 18, 2002 11:41 am

cheers laura [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img] just registered with their board myself to try to take part over there too, i'll be sure to ask them. i should really get my internet back on at home, i just don't have the time atm to hunt through these sites the way i want or else i would've been able to find these things out no problem.

cheers again, and on the subject of not having enough time on this machine, i'll reply to your email tomorrow - promise [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img] ...i've to go and... cut down trees, i'm sure you can sympathise [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] jk.