why was TKR cancelled?

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

knight two thousand
Volunteer

why was TKR cancelled?

Post by knight two thousand » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:02 pm

i thought it was pretty good.

Scott Kirkessner
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: why was TKR cancelled?

Post by Scott Kirkessner » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:40 pm

it never found an audience and because it was syndicated, never had a proper home. it was shown during horrible timeslots where no one would watch.

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:12 pm

Because it was s**t :lol:

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:49 pm

All I've seen is the KRO episode which is purportedly the best the show has to offer. While I did enjoy the very numerous references to the old show...it was a little too Power Rangers for my tastes.

Also, apart from talking, none of the vehicles seemed able to do anything very special. Apart from the bikes...which connected when magical extra metal appeared between them,
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:41 pm

When I first saw TKR(believe it or not),I was only 4 years old.I also watched it a few times,and just a few days ago when I saw an episode(I think it was about KRO).I agree that it felt a lot more like Power Rangers.And KAT and Plato were just er...Wierd.The show itself wasn't that good to most people,and the show just got canceled after only 1 season.And also,it just didn't really capture the spirit of the original series.And I just hated it how KITT was just somthing in an odd metal dome. :lol: But I enjoyed it,but I didn't expect it to be like the original series.
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:02 am

weeezl wrote:Because it was s**t :lol:
Oh come on mate S**t ain't that bad that it has to be compared with team Knight Rider. :lol:

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:49 pm

TKR had fair to decent ratings, especially considering some of the dreadful timeslots it had in key markets. It did better overseas than in the U.S. which would have been a strong selling point to do a second season.

Unfortunately, (or fortunately, depending on your perspective) Universal underwent a huge shakeup while TKR was on the air and there was a big push by the new powers-that-be to bring THEIR ideas to the company. Borderline shows like TKR were cast aside.

Even if there wasn't a corporate shake-up, there's still a good chance it would have been cancelled. I just think that was the final nail in the coffin.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:44 pm

whet wrote:
Oh come on mate S**t ain't that bad that it has to be compared with team Knight Rider. :lol:
LMAO!!!

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:11 pm

Given the efforts to subtly improve the series in the final few episodes, I will always wonder what might have been, had TKR truly gotten that second season. After all, the cars were getting almost cloaked signs of a more complex machine under the hood. The bikes had been improved. K.I.T.T., the Folgers Can made an appearance. The mannequin that would wear Knight clothes was seen from afar. Was Garth Knight really going to show up and say a famous Darth Vader-like line? Were they ever going to insult Ford, again? Would the mysterious Shadow Informant turn out to be the true Kitt? Would there be an international team formed in Europe?

All these questions and more, answered next time on Soap. (Start of corny Soap theme music, here.)

...ahem...

All kidding aside, I truly thought that TKR was striving for improvements and had a glimmer of hope of making a better season two appearance. After all, Viper went on and on and on in horrid time slots. And, I can only theorize that Dodge had a hand in that one.

80sKnight
Recruit

Post by 80sKnight » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:36 am

Putting it up against X-FILES when it was in its prime didn't help much either...
80sKnight

:dash4:
Owner of 3rd/4th Season KITT replica

:dash:
1st/2nd Season replica IN PROGRESS!

knight_neural_centre
Volunteer

Post by knight_neural_centre » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:37 pm

TKR didn't do well here in the UK either. It was put into the original show's tea-time Saturday slot on ITV, which previously had kept Baywatch bouyant (boom, boom!) for many years. But after only three or four episodes it was pulled due to disastrous ratings. It eventually resurfaced at about 3 or 4pm on Saturday afternoons the following year, long after it had been cancelled and the full run was shown.
"Music hath the charm to soothe the savage breast."
Michael Knight.

knight two thousand
Volunteer

Post by knight two thousand » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:38 am

i just saw the last episode............. i hate when a show ends after a cliffhanger

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:53 pm

Check out this letter from Rick Copp that Michael Pajaro got ages ago - it helps clear up some of the cliffhanger:

http://teamknightrider.com/copp/copp.html