KITT in the New Movie

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

reverber
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: KITT in the New Movie

Post by reverber » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:05 pm

woah cajun you dumbass yank, we werent saying kitt should be this car we were continuing the conversation about this car that the technologies from it could be used in a kitt, if you could be bothered to read the thread you would find out i have already explained this to you my good fellow.

Hands up who wouldnt like to see a kitt that was whisper quite and had a true performance of 0 to 60 in 4 seconds or whatever the 0 to 60 time is.

or do you not think a stealth mode, for a car that is supposed to be at the forefront of technology, is not a good idea, especially when part of a crime fighting duo.

And lastly if the car designers in america could be bothered to research and build a car like the lightening then we wouldnt have to keep providing them as evidence for ideas that kitt should incorporate. kitt should be a sleek and beautiful machine that is subtle yet standout-ish... he is not a ford mustang, c',mon really how much effort did it take to design two showboxes stuck together.

can any one honestly say that the car they used for the new knightrider tv version was anything thing kitt should be except black.

oh and just to irritate you further, us in the uk have also created or further researched one other technology that would be useful in kitt
namely morgan for researching and having the guts to build a hydrogen fuel cell powered car.

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/news. ... show.phtml

[babyish]
p.s. sorry for any offense caused to any one except cajun, which lets be fair you started the name calling, twice.
[/babyish]

cajunknight0153
Operative

Post by cajunknight0153 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:23 pm

omg are u kidding me? u must not have watched the original show or the new pilot because both of the KITTs are American muscle cars, KITT does not need to be a supercar like a maserati or lambo or ferarri or buggati or anything like that. and what the hell is a yank? im not a damn yankee, thats northern folk hince the New York Yankees im from the south hince CAJUN, im from south louisiana dude. ok maybe some of the features yall are describing are fine for KITT but not the car bodies i've seen. some of 'em are alright, like the camaro but all those foreign jobs are not gonna work. o and being battery powered or solar powered or and electric car is a no no

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:51 pm

oh and weeezl ive clicked the link and all i get is the main photobucket page. im guessing that something went wrong when pasting the link

hows this one

Anyone fancy giving this the KITT look?

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:18 pm

This is from Radicalas who posted this in another thread

Now THAT IS KITT..

K2007
Operative

Post by K2007 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:18 pm

KI3T? In red? Haha...NO.
McKurra: Read it, Karr.
KARR: But I -
McKurra: Read it.
KARR: -sigh- Genesis 1:1. In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth...
KNIGHT RIDER 2020 - a series canon by Knightsong

cajunknight0153
Operative

Post by cajunknight0153 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:24 pm

not bad! i could maybe see a camaro like that as KITT, although Bumblebee pretty much already claimed the new camaro

reverber
Rookie

Post by reverber » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:54 pm

dude sirry to burst your bubble but the kitt from the new tv show is rubbish its a shoe box and the lgihts are all wrong the dash is all wrong in fact as i saod the only thing they got right is its black, yes the original kitt was a muscle car and if you noticed it was sleek and sexy yet understated it WAS NOT A SHOE BOX if the made the car from the new tv show any squarer or indeed crapper it would be a box with wheels, hay even a four year old could design a sexier looking vehicle. that kitt is bog and brutish would handle like a brick with jelly wheels where as the original kitt could handle (300mph pontiac transam yes it does exists and yes it is stock boy including the stock aero package) i agree kitt doenst nee to be a super car in the claassical sense but he is a car that is super and can do amazing things without looking like a design of car from the 25th century nor of a vehicle that looks like its from the stone age.

as for the rest of the muscle cars even the camaro is looking boxy round the front, its about as aerodynamicaly stable as that brick ive mentioned. im not saying saying that the lambo or maseratti would be good bodies either but perhaps something inbetween. even the car above is square. what happened to sexy flowing curves again lambos arent particularly sexy the lightening is, but then the lightening is only a two seater so again useless for kittt as kitt at very least needs two plus two like the original kitt, mainly because the plot normaly had at least three people in the car at a time, dont believe me go through the dvd's and look.

and if you used your qute frankly from what you have demonstrated limited intelligence you would search on one of the many internet sites and find that yank is common slang in the uk / europe for all americans north or south. regardless of race colour or creed, you are all yanks. just as you in the us probably have you own slang for people / europe.

as for kitt not being electric why not, again i hate to break it to you but the internal combustion enginge has pretty much reached its's limits for power and speed. plus iirc the original kitt wasnt a petrol driven v8 either within the realms of the tv show kit was a turbine engined vehicle with a microprocessor controlled gearbox, the next step on from this would probably all electric as it doesnt have any exhaust emmissions which not only is better for the environment, but because there is no such exhaust emissions, heat seeking weaponry could not target kitt unlike in the original tv series, where heat seeking rockets were a problem for kitt more then once. plus because heat is heat, infrared camaras could not pick him up so at night it would be easier to sneak into government buildings etc, whereas with the big throbbing v8 kitt would light up like a christmas tree on infrared cameras and would be a nicely painted target for heat seeking missiles.

just how long would you like the new kitt to last in the film 5 mins before he gets caught and crushed, maimed or blown up?

oh weezl good car but like i say i think personaly all the cars now are to square boxy and bulky, anyway we could lose some height between the underside of the car and the bonnet, so its closer to kitts sort of arrow shape.

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:10 pm

what about this one then? :D

cajunknight0153
Operative

Post by cajunknight0153 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:10 am

ok dude just shut up, ur not American so u wouldn't understand. the new KITT is not boxy and its not "rubbish" whatever that means. the new KITT is frickin hot and sexy, in fact its one of my new dream cars. it is AWESOME!!! thats how us American's are we like edgier stuff not all those curves. the only thing we like curves on is our women. ok so we're all yanks, yall are all a bunch of dang stiff ass brits

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:20 am

Well the only thing is what do you do with 30 dead car batteries? :shock: Granted they last a long while but unless there's a safe disposal method, that's a lot of potential toxic material being put into a landfill.

For a TV show a electric based car would be no problem, if a car like that was a lot cheaper to produce. It is quite a step back for the new KITT to just have what seems to be a V8/Hybrid/Solar Powered/whatever engine/system. Kind of lacked imagination and it still seems to me to come off as a big GE/Ford influenced.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Victor Kros » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:47 am

You know cajun you might want to watch how you address people on here, it could get you banned if you're not careful. I'm not a moderator, just a friendly word of advice from someone who knows where the line is and how to walk it. Telling people to shut up and insulting them puts you way over it. People might think I'm arrogant at times but I don't outright call other members names.

All slang aside, I also feel the Mustang is a great sleek looking car but in my opinion it is not KITT. I'm also american not a brit so I do know something about the subject. I agree that I prefer angles to curves. I tend to favor the F-body Trans Ams and the 90-93 era Mustang bodies over the more ergonomic curvy looking cars of today. The 09 Camaro has a great mix of both, too bad it's already taken by Dreamworks, it was a shoe in car for KITT.

Phoenixzero - My thoughts exactly. When you explain exactly how KITT runs, you sorta take away the mystique from it. All we needed to really know in the classic show was two things...

#1. KITT had a turbine engine
#2. KITT was manufactured from aricraft designs created by Wilton Knight. This perfectly explained the high speeds, gullwing steering wheel, and instrumental panel choices.

We never did get a real explaination how Turbo Boost actually worked but I think part of the fun is the speculation on how to make it work. I think Davelix's game probably had the best approach with the air thruster built into the under-carriage theory.

=VK=
:dash:

ANDREWHEARNE
Rookie

Post by ANDREWHEARNE » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:18 pm

Hello Victor

A friend in California was asking if they got it right about the car - filling up for fuel ; I thought was odd as I thought the Knight 2000 was full efficent; I haven't seen the new film yet; I hope it comes out in England soon but just curious.

Thanks

Nismogtr21
Recruit

Post by Nismogtr21 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:24 pm

victor kros wrote:You know cajun you might want to watch how you address people on here, it could get you banned if you're not careful. I'm not a moderator, just a friendly word of advice from someone who knows where the line is and how to walk it. Telling people to shut up and insulting them puts you way over it. People might think I'm arrogant at times but I don't outright call other members names.

All slang aside, I also feel the Mustang is a great sleek looking car but in my opinion it is not KITT. I'm also american not a brit so I do know something about the subject. I agree that I prefer angles to curves. I tend to favor the F-body Trans Ams and the 90-93 era Mustang bodies over the more ergonomic curvy looking cars of today. The 09 Camaro has a great mix of both, too bad it's already taken by Dreamworks, it was a shoe in car for KITT.

Phoenixzero - My thoughts exactly. When you explain exactly how KITT runs, you sorta take away the mystique from it. All we needed to really know in the classic show was two things...

#1. KITT had a turbine engine
#2. KITT was manufactured from aricraft designs created by Wilton Knight. This perfectly explained the high speeds, gullwing steering wheel, and instrumental panel choices.

We never did get a real explaination how Turbo Boost actually worked but I think part of the fun is the speculation on how to make it work. I think Davelix's game probably had the best approach with the air thruster built into the under-carriage theory.

=VK=

In one episode Michael explains to his female passenger that the tires have helium. I took that as the explanation because 1) They were in the middle of a car chase 2) so therefore he didn't have time for jokes or being sarcastic, he said it in a serious tone of voice, and the girl said wow.....so :?

PaoloM
Recruit

Post by PaoloM » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:50 am

ANDREWHEARNE wrote:A friend in California was asking if they got it right about the car - filling up for fuel ; I thought was odd as I thought the Knight 2000 was full efficent; I haven't seen the new film yet; I hope it comes out in England soon but just curious.
In my opinion that was a very lame scene. It has already been told that KITT's engine should be kept as a mystical secret. It is the car of the future. The original KITT had that wonderful turbo sound that made me think about weird science, and that was all.
But this is the pain of product placement: Ford does clearly *want* people to know about the engine, so we have to live with it, even if that means losing some ot the Knight Rider spirit.

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Victor Kros » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:58 am

Robert Foster's people wrote a guide to writing episodes of Knight Rider known as "The Knight Rider Bible". Inside it has specific rules about the Do's and Dont's of writing an episode for the series.

Such as for example...

- We never see/film under the hood, but hood can be up while April
works on O.S. engine.

- Michael should not put KITT on Auto Drive unless he is doing
something else specifically (i.e. reading a computer sheet,
etc.). Michael should always be in control and KITT should not
take independent action.

- When using two cameras to photograph fast run bys, it is
preferable to undercrank one camera and shoot normal speed on the
other.

- KITT's open hood should be centered when the diagnostic test equipment
is in use (used like an x-ray machine). We would like to see lights and
movement with this machine when feasible. Also, portable unit should be
lighted and facing camera when feasible.

- While Kitt is a "virtually indestructible car", never lose sight of the
fact that Kitt is still a car. Thus, it cannot control elements and
it's functions are not omnipotent. Still, all in all, if there's a
nuclear war, I'd just as soon be inside Kitt.

- The interior dashboard lights should be on at all times including
when the car is parked and engine is off. We want to show off
KITT as much as possible
. This is especially important in any
night scenes. Also, play subtle reflected light from 0.S. dash on
Michael's face.

- General Info-- In answer to the question, "How fast can Kitt go?" --
The answer is: How fast do you want it to go.

A few rules that NBCU should have known work, when making the backdoor pilot but apparently in my opinion neglected in favor of sponsorship.

=VK=

The Shadow
Volunteer

Post by The Shadow » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:31 pm

Those snippets on writing & filming KITT from the Knight Rider [original] series bible are pretty interesting. I've read PDF versions & excerpts from series bibles on a couple other shows - they always prove fascinating reading, especially when you can compare the series bible to the tv show.
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

T.A.H.O.E.
FLAG Recruit

Post by T.A.H.O.E. » Fri May 02, 2008 3:47 pm

GREETINGS Vic & all...!

I can't state this hard enuff.... "PONTIAC RAGEOUS...." for the movie.

Nuff said
" Silence....we have an intruder... "

T.A.H.O.E.
FLAG Recruit

Re: nomination of KITT in the New Movie & etc

Post by T.A.H.O.E. » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:25 pm

IF Pntiac were to get back into it (ooooh yeh!) Then a concept car, thast they already have is the perfect fit----tho it needs to be either charcoal black or midnight grey......hold your breath kids.....
I give you my nomination ( for the 100th time ) of a vehicle that'll fit the bill nicely cuz it looks soooo good!

ahhhhh-ackkkkkk-ahemmmmmmm......... ( clearing my throat)"the PONTIAC RAGEOUS"

and a last production line T/A ( bod modified )as K.A.R.R.

Alexondra Lee as Dr. Bonnie Barstow.
Christopher Plummer as Wilton Knight -or Devon Miles
" Silence....we have an intruder... "

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:35 am

PHOENIXZERO wrote:Well the only thing is what do you do with 30 dead car batteries? :shock: Granted they last a long while but unless there's a safe disposal method, that's a lot of potential toxic material being put into a landfill.
Batteries are fully recyclable. Lead acid batteries are easiest to recycle. Lithium ion batteries (used in the Tesla, laptops, etc.) are COMPLETELY NON TOXIC.
According to the U.S. government, lithium ion batteries aren't an environmental hazard. "Lithium Ion batteries are classified by the federal government as non-hazardous waste and are safe for disposal in the normal municipal waste stream," says Kate Krebs at the National Recycling Coalition. While other types of batteries include toxic metals such as cadmium, the metals in lithium ion batteries - cobalt, copper, nickel and iron - are considered safe for landfills or incinerators (Interestingly enough, lithium ion batteries contain an ionic form of lithium but no lithium metal).
http://blogs.computerworld.com/node/3285

Phoenix Zero continues:
For a TV show a electric based car would be no problem,
In the future, most cars will have an electric drive train. The electricity for the electric motor may come from batteries, or from hydrogen, or from a stirling engine fueled by gasoline...but the wheels will be driven by an electric motor. Just look at the Tesla, it has the same 0-60 time as a Corvette, but the motor is 1/10 the mass! Electric motors are FAR more efficient.
It is quite a step back for the new KITT to just have what seems to be a V8/Hybrid/Solar Powered/whatever engine/system. Kind of lacked imagination and it still seems to me to come off as a big GE/Ford influenced.
Actually that's the future as I said above...and when did KITT say he has a V8 in the show? That was in one of the ads but not the show. In the show, KITT states that he has no spark plugs, so clearly no V8. He did say in the backdoor pilot "my system is mostly solar powered".

--Brian

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:30 pm

.... That post was over eight months old....

The battery thing had to do with nickel-metal hydride batteries which are used in hybrids currently and while they're less toxic than the older nickel cadmium batteries, their contents are still toxic..
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

99 Trans am
Volunteer

Post by 99 Trans am » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:47 pm

My Black 99 Ram Air Trans Am would make a good KITT..but,probably too old.. How about the Corvette ZR1..That new one looks incredible..That's what they should use..That is the only car I can realistically see as KITT. Unless they come up with a good prototype..

Josch Schulz
FLAG Operative

Post by Josch Schulz » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:45 pm

I cant wait to give you this, this is the best for the Movie :mrgreen: :good:

What do you think about this :kitt: :kitt:
There's nothing worse than a smart-ass automobile

paulie
Volunteer

Post by paulie » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:41 pm

that looks cool.. I think it would look better without the headlights...
But still looks good :)

djmoves
Volunteer

Post by djmoves » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:58 pm

Knowing you americans the new kitt will be a prius lol sorry :karr:

wallcrawler58
Stranger

Post by wallcrawler58 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:07 pm

I'm gonna get moaned at for this but here we go. First of all im English. Second i have an interest in all things cars. Thirdly i have had a fair amount of experience being around american and eurpean cars. I know all the americans want a muscle car, this is i suppose because they are both iconic and powerful, something the original KITT was. I personally love the new tv mustang (who doesn't love mustangs?) and for a series that is essentially fantasy i think it works. However speaking from a technical and realistic stand point i think using a muscle car for a car that is supposed to be at the height of technology is a little naive.

For a definition from the muscle car era, Peter Henshaw's 2004 book Muscle Cars refers the reader to an extract from Road Test magazine’s June 1967 issue: "Just what is a Muscle Car? Exactly what the name implies. It is a product of the American car industry adhering to the hot rodder's philosophy of taking a small car and putting a BIG engine in it. The Muscle Car is Charles Atlas kicking sand in the face of the 98 hp (73 kW) weakling." Henshaw adds that the muscle car was designed for straight-line speed, and did not have the "sophisticated chassis", "engineering integrity" or "lithe appearance" of European high-performance cars. (wikipedia)

and there you have it really, thats why america has nascar and the rest of the world has every other motorsport. Yeah american cars are awesome to look at and are formidable pieces of machinary but should we take a film seriously where the concept was a car created by a scientist, intelligent enough to create artifical intelligence and a machine that can do stupid speeds and all the rest but fail to factor in aerodynamics and chassis integrity etc? Muscle cars weren't designed to handle cornering at high speeds and unfortunately not alot has changed since the 60's and 70's. Another point is that although im sure the movie KITT will have some form of hydrogen based fuel system, european and japanese cars are able to do alot more with whats under the bonnet/hood than that of american cars. For instance when comparing a ford mustang shelby gt to an aston martin vantage both of which have a v8 you notice the difference 0-60 = vantage 4.8 sec GT 5.2 sec, BHP 425/325, max speed 180/143 mph this isnt exactly a fair test, im not sure what the weights are and the stats might be a little out and im not saying KITT should be an aston martin! but you get the point.

I say keep the american car for KITT but make sure its believable!
KITTs a Mustang? really? what happens when needs to turn corners?
He transforms into a KOENIGSEGG!!!!!