did you like the nbc kr movie??

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Did you like the nbc kr movie?

Yes
80%
No
20%

Total votes: 180

McTrooper
Volunteer

Re: did you like the nbc kr movie??

Post by McTrooper » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:04 am

KnightBrain wrote:. . Creating another line of continuity is confusing for an audience . . .
Yeah, but it doesn't stop them the Turtles movies and He-Man movie for example. Hopefully the movie will be able to alert people to the difference ahead of time so people won't be confused.

Bear_Spirit
Volunteer
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Bear_Spirit » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:48 am

Good movie!!

Greetings to all ya Knight Rider fans from Sweden.

RayQix
Stranger

Post by RayQix » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:40 pm

Where....
Is....
The....
SERIES!!!!

C'mon NBC/Universal...do something RIGHT for a change...give the PUBLIC WHAT THEY WANT instead of STUPID idiotic programming that you "think" they might want...

You have a 25-year-old icon waiting to make a comeback to your schedule...now all you have to do is MAKE IT HAPPEN.

I'm good with the dual-screen dash...goes along with my computer...lol. :)

:dash:

A longtime lover of KITT...and i ain't ashamed...lol :)

ilana
Rookie

Post by ilana » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:21 am

Hello to everybody who reads my post.

I thought I would share my opinion about the new “Knight Rider” movie. As well as most people here, I’ve been a fan of the original show for years. (And, by the way, I’m a leader of my own fan club). And, like others, I’d been waiting for the new movie. The thoughts after watching the new “Knight Rider” are different. I post here the most important few notes. Hopefully, NBC will read it.

The show needs more David Hasselhoff appearances. I enjoy watching his work of great talent; he makes movies worth seeing, even if it’s not so good. The old “Knight Rider” was an outstanding show largely due to his excellent work and enthusiasm. Not to mention, that David’s character, Michael Knight, is still knight rider.

Besides, it was said that the new series will be a sequel of the old series. And, as far as I remember, it was promised, that the new show will be true to the classic “Knight Rider”. Unfortunately, I really did not feel it after watching the new movie. Yes, there was a talking car, and there were a lot of little nods and hints at the original series, and an inessential cameo with David Hasselhoff – Michael Knight. It was said it was important, but, in fact, the text for the actors was written so badly. The scene was more ridiculous, then essential. So, please, stay really true to the classic show! I think the only way to do it is active involving David Hasselhoff, well though-out story line for Michel Knight. Involving other actors from the old show would be just great, if it’s possible.

The way Michael Knight was shown in the pilot was terrible. It looked like he deserved his family (or his pregnant girlfriend), his son and do not feel anything about it. (David did his best, but the script killed all his efforts). Michael Knight from the classic show would never do it. So you have to develop this story and restore Michael’s good name, or admit that it’s not a sequel.

Thumbs down to Justin Bruening... I’m sorry, but David Hasselhoff’s acting is very difficult to follow. If you are going to replace David with Justin, it’s a big mistake. The good way, I think, is to keep both, David and Justin starring in the sequel. It’s still possible to make a great show using differences between Michel and Mike.

The show needs humor.

These are my most important notes… Thanks for reading…

K2007
Operative

Post by K2007 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:01 pm

I think another KARR episode would get a lot of viewers. I want to see him either fight to the death (again) or come wandering back, tail tucked.

*nighttime, raining in sheets*
Mike: *walking from the jet to the garage, stops to listen to a distant roar of an engine at near redline*
KARR: *breaks through the gates, barreling towards Mike*
Mike: *stops and turns around* Kitt...?
KITT: *over comm* Yes, Mike?
Mike: Slow down, will you pal?
KITT: I do not understand. I am parked in my garage. Is everything alright?
Mike: If that's not you, then - *dives out of the way a moment too late*
*impact, screen flashes and goes blank*

That would be awesome. Throw Karr in the garage for a little while, interrogate him, piss him off. That's when things would get fun. KITT vs. KARR 2.0

Hell, if they don't write it, I will :D
McKurra: Read it, Karr.
KARR: But I -
McKurra: Read it.
KARR: -sigh- Genesis 1:1. In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth...
KNIGHT RIDER 2020 - a series canon by Knightsong

kopiikat
Rookie

Post by kopiikat » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:19 am

K2007 wrote:KARR scene
I say go ahead and write it. Maybe they'll steal your ideas and hire you as a writer. :mrgreen:

I think it's really interesting how people have TOTALLY different problems with this movie. Some people think that X actor did a terrific job, and others think s/he was completely unacceptable. Some people can't stand KITT, and others were thrilled with him. Some people were bothered by the sex, and others were obviously attracted by it. Does this seem to be a normal amount of variation to you? How can fans of Knight Rider all be so totally different? Ahh, the mysteries of the universe~~

As you can probably tell from my attempt at a positive thread, I'm feeling pretty good about the series. The only things that really bothered me were the scenes at the beginning, but not because I thought they were immoral. It was just that they seemed really out of place. I guess it was done to draw in viewers at the beginning, but seeing Agent Rivai sexily rinsing off after a swim was not entirely necessary. I found the lesbian scene afterwards amusing, though. It showed her character.

I also thought it was kind of weird how they had a team of bad guys that consisted of so many different stereotypes. Evil British guy... evil Asian guy... geeky hacker with giant glasses... token evil black guy...

One more little thing: I'm surprised at the amount of people who seem to consider the Hoff a great actor. I don't think he's bad and, of course, I love him in Knight Rider, but I definitely never thought of him as "gifted." His acting was definitely silly in the original series, but it was okay because of the show's lightheartedness. I mean, as much as I loved "Goliath," Garthe Knight was ridiculous, and Michael's semi-frequent "I'm not going to let you get away with this" speech (with narrowed eyes and pointing at the bad guys) was totally cheesy. Remember that that Hoff too was a soap opera actor. :wink:
KITT: 请别叫我‘汽车’或是‘几只轮子’,我是奈特工业2000号!

K2007
Operative

Post by K2007 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:14 pm

The Hoff should be on the food pyramid because we all need at least one good helping of him a day :lol:
McKurra: Read it, Karr.
KARR: But I -
McKurra: Read it.
KARR: -sigh- Genesis 1:1. In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth...
KNIGHT RIDER 2020 - a series canon by Knightsong

Squirrel3D
Rookie

Post by Squirrel3D » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:21 am

I'm suprised the majority of people voted yes....
Becuase one man CAN make a difference

ilana
Rookie

Post by ilana » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:34 am

kopiikat wrote: One more little thing: I'm surprised at the amount of people who seem to consider the Hoff a great actor.
Because he really IS. As for me, I really wonder at people, who do not like his acting. I would not love the old Knight Rider so much without David.

ilana
Rookie

Post by ilana » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:40 am

Squirrel3D wrote:I'm suprised the majority of people voted yes....
Because the majority of people do not need really good series. A pure acting, a primitive action (but with murders and a couple of persutes, oh yes) and a cool tralking car is everything an average "fan" of Knight Rider needs...

kopiikat
Rookie

Post by kopiikat » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:16 am

ilana wrote:
kopiikat wrote: One more little thing: I'm surprised at the amount of people who seem to consider the Hoff a great actor.
Because he really IS. As for me, I really wonder at people, who do not like his acting. I would not love the old Knight Rider so much without David.
I didn't mean to say I didn't like his acting, just that it's kind of silly in Knight Rider, especially at the beginning of the series. (Silly isn't necessarily "bad.") So don't get me wrong, I totally agree with you. The series wouldn't have been as much fun without him, and I think he was perfect for the role.
KITT: 请别叫我‘汽车’或是‘几只轮子’,我是奈特工业2000号!

ilana
Rookie

Post by ilana » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:30 am

kopiikat wrote:I didn't mean to say I didn't like his acting, just that it's kind of silly in Knight Rider, especially at the beginning of the series. (Silly isn't necessarily "bad.")
Sorry if I misunderstood you. :oops: :D Although I do not quite understand what means silly. The show was tongue-in-cheek, and his acting was tongue-in-cheek. It was funny, and it worked excellent for the show. :D

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:13 pm

The glimpse of the digital gauges was darn near the look that I envisioned for the three thousand. I even had a 1.0 version of the guages shown on this board, years ago. 'Fraid those have been lost on a past HDD.

When this pilot goes to series, I want to see several things happen.

1) More stunts. The pilot was so lacking on stunts, it reminded me of well too many other commonalities, today; the push for plot over visuals. (But, not like the "computer graphics" movies, where the action dominates over a very thin plot. We need balance. Though, if each episode fluxuates on more plot or more action on occasion, it would be acceptable.) Though, some are opposed to the notion of letting a computer anywhere near the visual effects, I say that, if done right, computer visuals can perform the greatest of things without making it look artificial. Green light to simulated stunts, I say. I also say that those 'behind the scenes' bits that show how a computer pulled off the F/X should almost be banned. It's kind of like showing how the magician does the show.

2) More personality in KITT. In the pilot, he often had all the personality of a modern GPS unit. This is understandable for a brand new AI. But, he's going to have to become more Humanized by at least the fourth episode. Or, it'll get extremely annoying, real fast.

3) Please...please...PLEASE...no more impossible physics, like was used at the end of the pilot to stop moving vehicles with KITT. That just threw all realism right out the window and turned KITT into a 'toon for me.

As for the mobile plane...it's where I would have gone, too. Having aero mobility just makes sense. It's far easier to get to locations that way. Don't have to deal with traffic jams...too often. Many benefits over a mere semi. And, who knows. They might have a semi version, as well, in the show. Nothing says they can't.

Marcyden
Stranger

Post by Marcyden » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:39 pm

The film remarkable, but is such moments where there was a computer drawing, and it is quite possible and without it, a kind somehow spoilt....

Dino Pollard
Stranger

Post by Dino Pollard » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:52 pm

89IROCNDoug wrote:In the original Knight Rider, immoral behaviors like murder and stealing were obviously looked down on and, of course, these immoral behaviors were fought against and beaten. This new TV movie now has included sexual immoral behavior that’s not going to be fought against and will make it seem like this behavior is OK. Let’s help the parents out and leave this stuff out. Young children want to see the show because of the cool, talking car that fights the bad guys. This just makes it harder for the parents that want to teach and guide their children. Yes, the children will encounter this stuff in school and by friends as they grow older, but this makes it even harder to let the children know that this sexual behavior is wrong when it shows up in a fun, crime fighting show.
I am very insulted by just how completely homophobic this post is. Homosexuals are people, just like anyone else. People like you are the same people who decades ago said interracial coupling was immoral.

There's nothing immoral about a lesbian woman acting on her attraction to another lesbian woman, just like there's nothing immoral about a straight woman acting on her attraction to a straight man. What I think is immoral is forcing people to deny who they are or else face this kind of behavior.

You say you don't want the beliefs of others forced on your children? Well, I don't want your bigoted and archaic ideals forced on my children.

89IROCNDoug
Operative

Post by 89IROCNDoug » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:59 am

Dino Pollard wrote: I am very insulted by just how completely homophobic this post is. Homosexuals are people, just like anyone else. People like you are the same people who decades ago said interracial coupling was immoral.

There's nothing immoral about a lesbian woman acting on her attraction to another lesbian woman, just like there's nothing immoral about a straight woman acting on her attraction to a straight man. What I think is immoral is forcing people to deny who they are or else face this kind of behavior.

You say you don't want the beliefs of others forced on your children? Well, I don't want your bigoted and archaic ideals forced on my children.
To be clear on where I stand, violence or any kind of wrongdoings against homosexuals is just as immoral as homosexual activity. Homosexuality should be fought against in the sense of being properly taught about and to be made known as immoral behaviour.

I believe lesbian activity is immoral, based on God's standards, which is supported from the Bible. Just because there were wrong beliefs in the past, like you mentioned about interracial relationships, it does not void what is clearly stated in the Bible about homosexuality. Homosexuality is more accepted now but that doesn't make it anymore right.
One man did make a difference.

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:07 am

There are multiple ways of arguing this and 89IROCNDoug seems to rely on one religion and one religion only, Christianity which is of course one of the largest religions in the world; nevertheless, not the only one you should argue from!
As you all know there is a scientific way of looking at it as well and according to the Darwinian evolution it was meant for us to choose a partner of the opposite sex to whom we shall raise a baby with. I will not give a public statement of what I think is correct and wrong but scientists have shown that gay marrage has a bad effect on children both in terms of role models and the way in which they raise the child. A boys role model is clearly his dad and a daughter her moms; nevertheless, a child needs both a male and a female role model to be raised correctly and not to mention normally...

Hope I didn't offend anyone but as you all know there are different standpoints from which one could argue from!
Michael: Kitt what matters to me is who you are not what you look like. Sure we don't have the car so we can't turbo boost so we can't go over 200 miles an hour but it was all icing on the cake anyway

Judd
Operative

Post by Judd » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:54 am

Speaking as a Christian, it is not my place to pass judgement on two adults who love, care and respect each another and want to be in an exclusive relationship.

DorianX
Recruit

Post by DorianX » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:02 pm

Amen Judd. People who happen to be both homophobic and Christian should really stop insisting that *all* Christians should share their homophobia.

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:26 am

???

To Judd:

What's your point and how does that correspond to what I said?
Michael: Kitt what matters to me is who you are not what you look like. Sure we don't have the car so we can't turbo boost so we can't go over 200 miles an hour but it was all icing on the cake anyway

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:42 am

89IROCNDoug wrote:Homosexuality should be fought against in the sense of being properly taught about and to be made known as immoral behaviour.
Words have significant power, especially ones like "fought against" and "immoral". Generally when you bring those words into a statement, aggression (be it verbal or physical) is implied. "Fighting" implies a conflict is going on, that somehow homosexuals are in a war with those who disagree with their lifestyle. Last I checked, homosexuals were not on a rabid anti-straight campaign. This "fight" as you call it is extremely one sided, with the religious casting judgement and intolerance on others as evidenced by how many "anti-gay" posts popped up the week after the movie aired on this very board alone.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:50 am

Knight-Armen wrote:A boys role model is clearly his dad and a daughter her moms; nevertheless, a child needs both a male and a female role model to be raised correctly and not to mention normally...
The "nuclear family" is hardly the only type of family that can exist and thrive. It is just one example of one. The divorce rate in this country is over 50%. Plenty of families have one parent or another who have died. Other families have deadbeat dads who were never there for their kids. Does that mean every single one of those families wound up with "incorrect" and "abnormal" children?

It is a very narrow vision to say that a boy's role model is just his dad and a daughter is her mom's. What about daughters who want to emulate something in their dad (like my cousin who joined the military because her father was in it?) or sons who want to emulate their mothers? The position of a role model is not limited to male and female parents. Grandparents, uncles, aunts, cousins, coworkers and friends can all serve as role models.

And I'd like to read these scientific studies that show how much "better" a straight family is compared to a gay one. Last time I checked the news, there were plenty of "straight" families where parents abused and killed their own children.

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:53 am

jup wrote:1) More stunts. The pilot was so lacking on stunts, it reminded me of well too many other commonalities, today; the push for plot over visuals. (But, not like the "computer graphics" movies, where the action dominates over a very thin plot. We need balance. Though, if each episode fluxuates on more plot or more action on occasion, it would be acceptable.)
Absolutely! This is the #1 thing I want to see more of out of the car. It's high tech, it can access satellites, nano-skin etc. Ok, we get that. Now show the physical car itself doing something that we don't see cars doing every day! Some people may scoff at this, but if you watch movies like "The Italian Job" and "Fast and the Furious" you really get to see some fun stuff done with cars that the premiere movie didn't even get close to. I'm SO hoping that we get to see some spectacular (but relatively realistic) stunt pieces in the series.

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:43 am

The "nuclear family" is hardly the only type of family that can exist and thrive. It is just one example of one. The divorce rate in this country is over 50%. Plenty of families have one parent or another who have died. Other families have deadbeat dads who were never there for their kids. Does that mean every single one of those families wound up with "incorrect" and "abnormal" children?
I never said that a "nuclear family" (as you put it) is the only one that is capable of existing, that was just a point I was trying to make. Sure, the divorce rate of your country might be +50% but it doesn't justify that the rest of the world follows the same pattern.
In the case of a parent that doesn't show up for his/her children or parents that divorce from oneanother due to for instance financial issues is just another example of people not being mature enough to solve those issues as grownups! Why debate over such superficial stuff like money when a couple has agreed to stay with eachother in "...sickness and health, til death do us apart". Have you ever bothered to ask yourself why in some cases a father/mother didn't show up for their children? This is mostly due to insecurity in the marrage where the partner goes off to find someone else or alcohol abuse!
It is a very narrow vision to say that a boy's role model is just his dad and a daughter is her mom's. What about daughters who want to emulate something in their dad (like my cousin who joined the military because her father was in it?) or sons who want to emulate their mothers? The position of a role model is not limited to male and female parents. Grandparents, uncles, aunts, cousins, coworkers and friends can all serve as role models.
Of course there are other rolemodels than just the parents but unless the father/mother is constantly abscent from the "quality time" with his/her family there is no bigger and more influential rolemodel than your own parents.
No matter what the statistics tells you a boys biggest rolemodel is indeed his dad and vice versa. However, a boy can share the same passions and hobbies with his mom but the one he has to look up to in the end of the day is indeed his own father. I think that's undeniable!
And I'd like to read these scientific studies that show how much "better" a straight family is compared to a gay one. Last time I checked the news, there were plenty of "straight" families where parents abused and killed their own children.
Do you really think that those are normal family relations? Parents that abuse and kill their own children has other priorities than raising their child...

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:50 pm

Knight-Armen wrote:No matter what the statistics tells you a boys biggest rolemodel is indeed his dad and vice versa. However, a boy can share the same passions and hobbies with his mom but the one he has to look up to in the end of the day is indeed his own father. I think that's undeniable!
It is deniable. You're assuming the values you hold are the same for everyone, and that's simply not true. My father was around for the first ten years or so of my life consistantly, and he was never my role model. His interests were simply not aligned with mine, so I sought others who gave me advice or encouraged my interests such as teachers, uncles and my mother. Was he an authority figure? Sure. But that's not the same as a role model.
Knight-Armen wrote:Do you really think that those are normal family relations? Parents that abuse and kill their own children has other priorities than raising their child...
Not my point. Your assertion, and I quote was "...nevertheless, a child needs both a male and a female role model to be raised correctly and not to mention normally". I am simply stating that having a male and a female role model in the same household does not necesarily equal a proper/happy family. There are far deeper socio-economic, psychological and educational issues at stake that determine the suitability of a child's guardians beyond their gender.

Bringing this back around to KR 2008, one of the most stringent arguments against the Rivai "lesbian" scene is what you bring up above - family values etc. But where during the entire episode did it ever state she was a mother? Or that she even wants a family? Maybe she just wants to have a relationship with a woman she loves, do her job and call it a day. Argue immorality all you want, but the fact is within the context of the movie, the character's sexuality did nothing harmful to the plot, action or continuity of the film itself.